|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Chips sometimes forgo reading for a detective novel?
(a) His mail.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Classical literature.
(d) The newspaper.
2. What was on display on the walls of Chips' room?
(a) A family photograph.
(b) A picture of the Acropolis.
(c) A sketch of William Shakespeare.
(d) A painting of Brookfield.
3. What is the name of the school where Mr. Chips worked?
(a) Pinegrove School.
(b) Lambeth School.
(c) Brookfield School.
(d) Woodgate School.
4. What source did Katherine suggest that Brookfield should use to recruit boys to play sports at the School?
(a) The neighboring boarding school.
(b) The London slums.
(d) Brookfield Village.
5. Where did Chips and the young woman have their wedding?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the old fifth-form room at Brookfield called?
2. What did Mrs. Wickett once do at Brookfield?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Mr. Chips ask Mrs. Wickett to give him?
4. What did Faulkner ask Chips for in Chapter 8?
5. How long had Chips taught at Brookfield before his marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brookfield's description as a second-rank school mean?
2. In Chapter 8, what does Chips find on his classroom desk?
3. How did Chips think of the "New Woman" of the '90's; and what was his ideal type of woman?
4. How did Mr. Wetherby counsel Chips before he began teaching at Brookfield School?
5. In Chapter 3, what are the boys who visit Chips for tea mistaken about?
6. In Chapter 5, what did Chips tell Katherine that caused her to laugh in response?
7. What did Chips hear happened to the visitor whom he had in Chapter 6?
8. How do Chips and Katherine form a close relationship?
9. What did Chips' dream of doing when he was young?
10. What does Chips think has dulled in intensity with time?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)