|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why did Chatteris say that the school was suffering?
(a) Because the building was in need of repairs.
(b) Because the school was running out of operational funds.
(c) Because many students were being withdrawn by their families.
(d) Because most of the teachers were fighting in the War.
2. How does Chips think that Ralston was trying to run Brookfield?
(a) Like a prison.
(b) Like a factory.
(c) Like a nursery school.
(d) Like an asylum.
3. What did Chips discover in himself after having had Katherine in his life?
(a) An impatience for stupidity.
(b) Pride in his work.
(c) Confidence in his writing.
(d) A love for athletics.
4. In Chapter 12, what was read every Sunday night during Chapel service?
(a) Weekly messages from the King.
(b) The names of fallen former students.
(c) The local newspaper.
(d) Letters from soldiers.
5. What illness did Chips recall two-thirds of the school once having contracted?
(a) Chicken pox.
(b) German measles.
(c) Scarlet Fever.
6. What did Chatteris ask Chips to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Privately tutor some students.
(b) Do odd jobs at the school.
(c) Fundraise for the school.
(d) Speak to the school boys' parents.
7. How did Chips deal with tense situations at the school?
(a) By ignoring them.
(b) By doling out punishments.
(c) By referring them to Chatteris to handle.
(d) By poking fun at them.
8. Where did Chips once travel to that put him off of traveling again?
(b) The Riviera.
9. What did Chips joke that he thought that a "Wurlitzer" was?
(a) A weapon.
(b) A dog breed.
(c) A sausage.
(d) A candy.
10. How does Ralston describe Chips' appearance in Chapter 11?
11. Where did Chips and Sir John Rivers take a walk together?
(a) By the river.
(b) Throughout the village.
(c) The cricket pitches.
(d) The school corridor.
12. What did Chips note had changed among students and masters at Brookfield?
(a) That there were more misunderstandings among them.
(b) That there was more friendliness among them.
(c) That there was a lack of respect among them.
(d) That there was more distance among them.
13. What troubles Chips during the winter months in Chapter 16?
(a) His arthritis.
(b) His feet.
(c) His throat.
(d) His breathing.
14. What did Chips remember about his student, Gregson?
(a) That he had a lucky charm.
(b) That he would wear his father's old Brookfield cap.
(c) That he rarely spoke.
(d) That he was always late.
15. What 'first' did Chips recall seeing while at Brookfield?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A telephone.
(d) An automobile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did everyone notice about Chips after Katherine's death?
2. How did Chips feel about what he was asked to do after Chatteris' death?
3. What was characteristic of the farewell speech that Chips gave on his retirement?
4. Who once visited Brookfield in honor of Speech Day?
5. Who was named as Ralston's replacement?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)