|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who became the school's new headmaster?
2. What was characteristic of the farewell speech that Chips gave on his retirement?
(a) It was presented entirely in Latin.
(b) It included many jokes.
(c) He cried through it.
(d) It referenced his wife.
3. How did Meldrum die?
(a) Of pneumonia.
(b) Of old age.
(c) Of a heart attack.
(d) In an accident.
4. What troubles Chips during the winter months in Chapter 16?
(a) His arthritis.
(b) His breathing.
(c) His feet.
(d) His throat.
5. What was the surname of the student whom Chips joked about, which subsequently landed him in trouble?
6. What 'first' did Chips recall seeing while at Brookfield?
(a) An airplane.
(b) A bicycle.
(c) A telephone.
(d) An automobile.
7. In Chapter 14, who volunteered to read a passage during class?
8. When did Chatteris fall?
(a) Autumn, 1920.
(b) Spring, 1917.
(c) Summer, 1920.
(d) Winter, 1917.
9. In Chapter 13, what does Chatteris hope that Chips will be able to do to help him?
(a) Raise enough money to keep the school going.
(b) Convince the parents that all is well.
(c) Hold the school together.
(d) Improve the students' test scores.
10. By what date did Chips hope that World War I would be over?
(b) St. Patrick's Day.
(d) Armistice Day.
11. What fraying threadbare article of clothing did Chips wear in Chapter 9?
(a) His cardigan.
(b) His gown.
(c) His slippers.
(d) His trench coat.
12. Who was named as Ralston's replacement?
13. What did Chips wonder about in Chapter 16?
(a) He wondered whether England would go to war again.
(b) He wondered about what had happened to his former students.
(c) He wondered who was now teaching in his old classroom.
(d) He wondered whether he could attend the school's year-end party.
14. During what month of the year was the first former Brookfield student killed in the war?
15. What did Brookfield boys do during the 1926 General Strike?
(a) They walked the picket line in support.
(b) The collected clothing for the poor.
(c) They loaded vans with food.
(d) They stayed confined to their dormitories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chips once travel to that put him off of traveling again?
2. What did Chips discover in himself after having had Katherine in his life?
3. What reputation had Chips earned by Chapter 16?
4. Whose death does Chips recall the new headmaster announcing in Chapter 10?
5. How does Chips think that Ralston was trying to run Brookfield?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)