|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which group of people does Chips make reference to in Chapter 9?
(a) The Boers.
(b) The Zulus.
(c) The Gauls.
(d) The Bengalis.
2. What does Chips remember doing in a ritualistic way in Chapter 9?
(a) Making roll call.
(b) Planning lessons.
(c) Marking papers.
(d) Walking to the school.
3. Why did Ralston leave Brookfield?
(a) To take care of his sick father.
(b) To better himself.
(c) Because he fell ill.
(d) Because he was fired.
4. What kind of style did the new headmaster have?
(a) A modern one.
(b) A rigid one.
(c) An old-fashioned one.
(d) A relaxed one.
5. How did Chips deal with tense situations at the school?
(a) By poking fun at them.
(b) By ignoring them.
(c) By referring them to Chatteris to handle.
(d) By doling out punishments.
6. What did Chatteris ask Chips to do in Chapter 13?
(a) Fundraise for the school.
(b) Speak to the school boys' parents.
(c) Privately tutor some students.
(d) Do odd jobs at the school.
7. What did Chips note had changed among students and masters at Brookfield?
(a) That there was more friendliness among them.
(b) That there was a lack of respect among them.
(c) That there was more distance among them.
(d) That there were more misunderstandings among them.
8. How did Chips feel about what he was asked to do after Chatteris' death?
9. After Meldrum's death, what did Chips hope would happen?
(a) That Chips could retire.
(b) That a new passionate headmaster would be hired.
(c) That Chips would be made head of the language department.
(d) That Chips would be made headmaster.
10. In Chapter 14, who volunteered to read a passage during class?
11. Which of the following was the topic of the class that Chips taught in Chapter 14?
(a) Greek architecture.
(b) Greek philosophy.
(d) The Roman arrival in England.
12. In Chapter 9, which game was Chips congratulated for playing in a decent way?
13. What was characteristic of the farewell speech that Chips gave on his retirement?
(a) It was presented entirely in Latin.
(b) It included many jokes.
(c) He cried through it.
(d) It referenced his wife.
14. How does Ralston describe Chips' appearance in Chapter 11?
15. What was Chips asked to do following Chatteris' death?
(a) Act as headmaster at Brookfield.
(b) Find Chatteris' replacement.
(c) Prepare for the school closure.
(d) Retire again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Chips NOT often use his money?
2. In Chapter 13, what liquid did Chatteris lament about someone having poured down another man's neck?
3. Where did Chips and Sir John Rivers take a walk together?
4. What kind of man was Ralson's replacement?
5. In Chapter 14, how many people were killed in the air raid near Brookfield?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)