|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do we find out eventually happened to the boy who Chips noticed as being upset in Chapter 10?
(a) That he pursued a career in politics.
(b) That he graduated from Cambridge University.
(c) That he died.
(d) That he became a doctor.
2. In Chapter 10, what event is mentioned as having been witnessed by Chips and Katherine?
(a) Edward VII's coronation procession.
(b) The unveiling of the first steam locomotive.
(c) The Queen's Diamond Jubilee.
(d) A speech by Charles Darwin.
3. Whose death does Chips recall the new headmaster announcing in Chapter 10?
(a) Queen Victoria's.
(b) King Edward VII's.
(c) King George V's.
(d) The Duke of York's.
4. Which group of people does Chips make reference to in Chapter 9?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Boers.
(c) The Zulus.
(d) The Bengalis.
5. What is the first line in Chapter 13?
(a) "Good-bye, Mr. Chips".
(b) "Will you be wanting anything else, sir?"
(c) "Retirement was a bore".
(d) "The War Years".
6. What did Chips discover in himself after having had Katherine in his life?
(a) Confidence in his writing.
(b) Pride in his work.
(c) A love for athletics.
(d) An impatience for stupidity.
7. What did Chips consider giving up following Katherine's death??
(a) His housemastership.
(b) His job.
(c) His inheritance.
(d) His apartment.
8. What did Brookfield boys do during the 1926 General Strike?
(a) The collected clothing for the poor.
(b) They walked the picket line in support.
(c) They loaded vans with food.
(d) They stayed confined to their dormitories.
9. What illness did Chips recall two-thirds of the school once having contracted?
(b) German measles.
(c) Chicken pox.
(d) Scarlet Fever.
10. How old does Chips recall being in Chapter 9?
(a) 50 years old.
(b) 43 years old.
(c) 48 years old.
(d) 39 years old.
11. Someone in Chapter 9 states that Chips 'gets away with' which of the following?
(a) Leaving school early.
(b) Doing less work than other teachers.
(c) Being cruel to the students.
(d) Saying anything.
12. In Chapter 12, what was read every Sunday night during Chapel service?
(a) Weekly messages from the King.
(b) Letters from soldiers.
(c) The local newspaper.
(d) The names of fallen former students.
13. Why did Ralston leave Brookfield?
(a) To better himself.
(b) Because he fell ill.
(c) Because he was fired.
(d) To take care of his sick father.
14. What was characteristic of the farewell speech that Chips gave on his retirement?
(a) It was presented entirely in Latin.
(b) It included many jokes.
(c) It referenced his wife.
(d) He cried through it.
15. Which workers went on strike in Chapter 10?
(a) Railway workers.
(b) Metal workers.
(c) Healthcare workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Meldrum die?
2. What does Chips remember doing in a ritualistic way in Chapter 9?
3. How is Ralston described in Chapter 11?
4. Where did Chips NOT often use his money?
5. In Chapter 9, which game was Chips congratulated for playing in a decent way?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)