|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of style did the new headmaster have?
(a) An old-fashioned one.
(b) A relaxed one.
(c) A modern one.
(d) A rigid one.
2. In Chapter 9, Chips states that men in which occupation live a long life?
3. In Chapter 13, why did Chatteris say that the school was suffering?
(a) Because many students were being withdrawn by their families.
(b) Because the school was running out of operational funds.
(c) Because most of the teachers were fighting in the War.
(d) Because the building was in need of repairs.
4. In Chapter 12, which school term did Chips miss due to his illness?
(a) The Spring term.
(b) The Summer term.
(c) The Winter term.
(d) The Fall term.
5. In Chapter 13, what does Chatteris hope that Chips will be able to do to help him?
(a) Raise enough money to keep the school going.
(b) Hold the school together.
(c) Convince the parents that all is well.
(d) Improve the students' test scores.
6. What did everyone notice about Chips after Katherine's death?
(a) He reverted to the person he had been before meeting her.
(b) He coped well.
(c) He was pretending to be fine.
(d) He was different.
7. Who was named as Ralston's replacement?
8. How did Chips feel when he looked at what was happening around the world in the post-War decade?
9. What did Chips joke that he thought that a "Wurlitzer" was?
(a) A sausage.
(b) A candy.
(c) A weapon.
(d) A dog breed.
10. By what date did Chips hope that World War I would be over?
(b) Armistice Day.
(c) St. Patrick's Day.
11. Which workers went on strike in Chapter 10?
(b) Railway workers.
(c) Healthcare workers.
(d) Metal workers.
12. Who became the school's new headmaster?
13. How did Chips cause controversy in Chapter 10?
(a) By disappearing for a week.
(b) Through his friendship with the striking workers.
(c) By going on strike himself.
(d) By insulting a boy from a wealthy family.
14. What reputation had Chips earned by Chapter 16?
(a) A party animal.
(b) A jester.
(c) A stick-in-the-mud.
(d) A task master.
15. What does Chips remember doing in a ritualistic way in Chapter 9?
(a) Marking papers.
(b) Walking to the school.
(c) Planning lessons.
(d) Making roll call.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Meldrum die?
2. When did Chatteris fall?
3. Where did Chips once travel to that put him off of traveling again?
4. What troubles Chips during the winter months in Chapter 16?
5. How old does Chips recall being in Chapter 9?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)