|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the night before their wedding, what kind of mood did Katherine say she was in with Chips?
2. What types of novels does Mr. Chips like to read?
3. At what age did Chips retire from Brookfield?
4. What is the name of the school where Mr. Chips worked?
(a) Woodgate School.
(b) Lambeth School.
(c) Brookfield School.
(d) Pinegrove School.
5. How did Katherine think that she would feel living at Brookfield?
6. Which of the following does Chips NOT have within his memories of his surroundings of the night before his wedding?
(a) Newsboys shouting.
(b) Gas lamps flickering.
(c) The sound of a horse walking.
(d) The smell of rain.
7. Who was the headmaster who hired Mr. Chips?
(a) Mr. Wetherby.
(b) Mr. Winters.
(c) Mr. Weaver.
(d) Mr. Westbrook.
8. What did Chips not consider to be crucial to education?
(b) Learning a second language.
(c) Studying everyday.
(d) Learning Greek and Latin.
9. What had Chips considered doing in his retirement but faced difficulties to accomplish?
(a) Substitute teaching.
(b) Writing a book.
(d) Running for the school board.
10. Who is Mrs. Wickett?
(a) Chips' neighbor.
(b) Chips' colleague.
(c) Chips' landlady.
(d) Chips' nurse.
11. What did Katherine say to Chips the night before their wedding?
(a) Tomorrow, we begin our future.
(b) Pleasant dreams, Chips.
(c) Good-bye, Mr. Chips.
(d) I love you, Chippingham.
12. What did Chips sometimes forgo reading for a detective novel?
(a) His mail.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Classical literature.
13. On the night before their wedding, what did Katherine say that she felt like?
(a) She had finally found a place to call home.
(b) A princess in a fairy tale.
(c) A new student beginning her first term with Chips.
(d) She was walking a tightrope.
14. What is the name of Mr. Chips' doctor?
(a) Dr. McAllister.
(b) Dr. Merivale.
(c) Dr. MacDonald.
(d) Dr. Metcalf.
15. What sport did Katherine suggest that boys should be invited to play at Brookfield?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chips give up his career aspirations?
2. In Chapter 6, how did the students react to the changed Mr. Chips?
3. In Chapter 6, where did Chips' visitor state that he would be going the following day?
4. What was the year that Mr. Chips was born?
5. Where is the house that Mr. Chips lives in?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)