|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Brookfield said to have experienced over the years?
(a) Steady growth.
(b) Positive reviews in the press.
(c) A shortage of teachers.
(d) Ups and downs.
2. What was the name of the school butler?
3. What sport did Katherine suggest that boys should be invited to play at Brookfield?
4. Chips eventually realized that the letters were related to which of the following?
(a) His work for the boys from East London.
(b) University entrance exams.
(c) His wife's death.
(d) April Fool's Day.
5. On the night before their wedding, what kind of mood did Katherine say she was in with Chips?
6. What had Chips considered doing in his retirement but faced difficulties to accomplish?
(b) Running for the school board.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Substitute teaching.
7. To which of the following did Chips equate his tendency to be secretive?
(a) To being a wizard.
(b) To being a hermit.
(c) To being a Freemason.
(d) To being an eccentric.
8. In Chapter 3, why was it assumed that Chips had trouble making tea?
(a) Because he was a lifelong bachelor.
(b) Because he was old.
(c) Because he was relying on Mrs. Wickett too much.
(d) Because he was trying to trick someone else into making it.
9. Which of the following did Chips become more skillful at after marrying Katherine?
(b) Dealing with parents.
(c) Balancing his personal and work lives.
10. Which was NOT a feature of Brookfield's campus?
(a) A quadrangle.
(b) 18th century buildings.
(c) Playing fields.
(d) A swimming pool.
11. What was on the floor of Chips' room at Mrs. Wickett's?
(a) A stack of unread books.
(b) A Turkish rug.
(c) A doorway to the cellar.
(d) A stain from a spilled cup of tea.
12. What was the old fifth-form room at Brookfield called?
(a) The Dungeon.
(b) The Parlour.
(c) The Pit.
(d) The Holding Pen.
13. On what occasion does Chips wonder whether the school had a holiday?
(a) The School's 300th anniversary.
(b) The victory at Waterloo.
(c) When King George visited Brookfield Village.
(d) The Queen's death.
14. What source did Katherine suggest that Brookfield should use to recruit boys to play sports at the School?
(a) The neighboring boarding school.
(c) Brookfield Village.
(d) The London slums.
15. Where did Chips go on holiday in Chapter 4?
(d) The Lake District.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the young woman travel to see Chips everyday?
2. In Chapter 3, in which of the following locations was it mentioned that one of the new boys' uncle had been killed?
3. What did Katherine say to Chips the night before their wedding?
4. How did Katherine feel when she found out that Chips was a teacher?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Mr. Chips ask Mrs. Wickett to give him?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)