|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the old fifth-form room at Brookfield called?
(a) The Pit.
(b) The Holding Pen.
(c) The Dungeon.
(d) The Parlour.
2. In Chapter 3, why was it assumed that Chips had trouble making tea?
(a) Because he was old.
(b) Because he was a lifelong bachelor.
(c) Because he was trying to trick someone else into making it.
(d) Because he was relying on Mrs. Wickett too much.
3. What did Chips try to convince Katherine of in Chapter 5?
(a) That he was not interested in her money.
(b) That she could become a teacher.
(c) That he was a mediocre teacher.
(d) That she would be happy at Brookfield.
4. In Chapter 3, what is revealed that few people knew about Chips?
(a) That he was married.
(b) That he had an artificial leg.
(c) That he never graduated from a university.
(d) That he was American.
5. What had always been Chips' ideal type of woman?
6. To which of the following did Chips equate his tendency to be secretive?
(a) To being an eccentric.
(b) To being a Freemason.
(c) To being a wizard.
(d) To being a hermit.
7. Who did Chips go on holiday with in Chapter 4?
8. On what occasion does Chips wonder whether the school had a holiday?
(a) The School's 300th anniversary.
(b) When King George visited Brookfield Village.
(c) The victory at Waterloo.
(d) The Queen's death.
9. In what year did Katherine die?
10. What is the name of the school where Mr. Chips worked?
(a) Woodgate School.
(b) Pinegrove School.
(c) Lambeth School.
(d) Brookfield School.
11. How does Chips describe the New Woman of the '90's?
(a) As scary.
(b) As disinterested in men.
(c) As strong and independent.
(d) As career-minded.
12. How long had Chips taught at Brookfield before his marriage?
(a) 17 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 25 years.
13. On the night before their wedding, what kind of mood did Katherine say she was in with Chips?
14. When was the school's main structure rebuilt and additions made?
(a) During the reign of King William IV.
(b) During the reign of King George I.
(c) During the reign of Queen Anne.
(d) During the reign of Queen Victoria.
15. In Chapter 5, what did Chips tell Katherine that he would never achieve?
(a) A political office.
(c) A sizeable fortune.
(d) A promotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year had Mr. Wetherby joined Brookfield's faculty?
2. In Chapter 6, who visited Chips years later and asked about Katherine?
3. Who mainly comprised the student population of Brookfield?
4. Why did Chips give up his career aspirations?
5. At what age did Chips retire from Brookfield?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)