|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man who is meeting with a hired man in Chapter 6?
2. Who attacks Will in his house in Chapter 18?
3. Who calls Will at his apartment in Chapter 21?
4. What does the note say that Will's girlfriend leaves him in Chapter 4?
5. Where at the high school does Will meet a person in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katy's appearance described the first time Will sees her in the book?
2. How does Mr. Klein react when Mrs. Miller brings him a casserole in Chapter 16?
3. Why is Ken accused of Julie Miller's murder?
4. What does Katy tell Will that she discovered about her sister just before her death in Chapter 25?
5. What is the nature of the phone conversations Will has with Mrs. Rogers in Chapter 7?
6. What does a man say to Morty Meyer at a gambling table in Las Vegas?
7. How are Sheila's thoughts described in Chapter 10?
8. How are Will's memories of Katy Miller described as a child?
9. How is a street kid named Roscoe first described in the book?
10. What is the nature of Pistillo's interrogation of Will in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of grief that is presented in the book. How does the emotion of grief control characters like the Miller's and Klein's namely the older members of these families? What can we learn about the nature of grief by studying the actions of these characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's portrayal of the mob in the book. What might the author be saying about the power of the mob based on the portrayal of McGuane in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of investigation that is presented in the book. What can we learn about the nature of the police and their ability to be neutral in their investigations based on the actions of Pistillo in the book? How did Will and Katy's investigation differ from the one conducted by the police?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)