|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Will at his apartment in Chapter 21?
2. What is the name of the hired man, shown in Chapter 6?
3. What does the married couple that Will visits in Chapter 27 make in their basement?
4. Who does Will decide not to show the photo of Ken to, at the end of Chapter 7?
5. What is the name of the disfigured girl that Will meets in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the phone conversations Will has with Mrs. Rogers in Chapter 7?
2. What does John indicate he has done with Tanner at the end of Chapter 6?
3. How does Will find his home when he returns to it in Chapter 18?
4. How does Mrs. Rogers act towards Will at her daughter's memorial service in Chapter 24?
5. What is the nature of the conversation between Agent Fisher and Pistillo regarding Will, in Chapter 17?
6. How is the body described that a sheriff finds in Chapter 12?
7. How is a street kid named Roscoe first described in the book?
8. What is the nature of the conversation between John and Phillip McGuane in Chapter 6?
9. How does Melissa react when Will shows her a recent photo he found of Ken?
10. How is Pistillo and Fisher's meeting at McGuane's office described in Chapter 26?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the author's varying portrayals of parenting in the book, namely focusing on the characters Squares, Mr. Klein, Mrs. Rogers, and the Miller's. What purpose did the author have for analyzing the parenting styles of so many characters in the book, and what were we able to learn about the nature of their characters from these portrayals?
Essay Topic 2
Trust is an important theme presented in many parts of the book. Part 1.) Does Will appear to be an overly trusting person in the book and if so what repercussions must he deal with because of this? Part 2.) How does the author try and create a sense of trust in characters that should be viewed as untrustworthy, and what purpose might he have for doing this? Part 3.) What role does trust play in the revelation of the truth by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's portrayal of violence in the book. What might the author be saying about the nature of characters like John based on his acts of violence in the book and what factors could have led to his being so violent towards others without remorse?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)