|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man in the bowler hat doing outside?
2. What kind of car does Bond have?
3. What interrupts Smithers and Bond's conversation?
4. What trade does Colonel Smithers talk to Bond about?
5. What does Du Pont give Bond a passkey for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the man tell Bond about Enterprises Auric?
2. How does Masterton die?
3. How does Bond stop Tilly?
4. How does Goldfinger convince everyone he can rob Fort Knox?
5. What is Colonel Smithers interrupted by?
6. How did Bond kill the Mexican drug courier?
7. Describe Bond's car.
8. How does Goldfinger get clearance to fly over Fort Knox?
9. Why does Bond think Tilly is not a proper spy?
10. What does Bond insist Goldfinger do for him?
Essay Topic 1
Why is gambling such a big part of Bond books? Do you think Bond would have still accepted the golf bet with Goldfinger if he were not assigned to track him? In what way does gambling add excitement to the golf game that may not have been there otherwise?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Goldfinger need Bond to work for him? How can Goldfinger ensure that Bond does not betray him? How can Bond use working for Goldfinger to his advantage?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Fleming use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Aside from the main character, examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,479 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)