|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is relieved to hear the news of the death of the men?
2. Who feels guilty and confesses to the Inspector?
3. The run on what mining area begins in Chapter 61?
4. Who gives Rod a needle full of morphine?
5. What intention does Teresa announce about her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Smith's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for this novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in "Gold Mine"?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)