|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Manfred lose at?
2. What does the general manager die of?
3. When Rod visits Joseph's station, what is he doing?
4. Who is is one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
5. What kind of award is mentioned that will be given out as a result of the accident to Rod in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Manfred deceive Rod while he spies on him?
2. How does Rod meet Teresa?
3. What does Manfred offer Rod in Chapter 8?
4. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
5. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
6. How does Manfred get into an accident?
7. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
8. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
9. How does Johnny start drilling quicker than others?
10. Describe Johnny and Constantine's altercation at the hotel where he goes dancing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that Rod grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)