|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rod read in Chapter 12?
2. What will Rod receive as a result of his new job position?
3. How many people are gathered in the mining hall?
4. What does King order in Chapter 35?
5. How many stitches did the man injured in an assault in the mine receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
2. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
3. What is Manfred's week of triumphs entail in Europe?
4. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
5. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
6. How does Dan rescue Terry?
7. What happens when the drill cuts into a fissure?
8. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
9. What does the Detective Inspector want Rod's help with?
10. Describe the assault in the mine.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title "Gold Mine"? How does this relate to the protagonist Rod and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book "Gold Mine"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
Essay Topic 3
Rod and Manfred are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Rod had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Manfred had a direct influence upon?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)