|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who designed the office environment for one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
2. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
3. Whose death does Rod acknowledge at the mining meeting?
4. Where does the person who invited Manfred to gamble stay?
5. What does Manfred lose at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joseph M'Kati.
2. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
3. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
4. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
5. What makes Manfred jealous of Rod?
6. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
7. Why does Manfred need Teresa's help?
8. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
9. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
10. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Gold Mine". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)