|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefits from adjusting the air conditioning?
2. Who is the top rock breaker in the Sonder Ditch?
3. What does Rod's host share with him in Chapter 7 about himself?
4. Where has Rod gotten a job?
5. What event will occur while Manfred is away in Paris that his wife will attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rod meet Teresa?
2. How are the mining men rescued and what kind of blasts do they use and why?
3. What does the Detective Inspector want Rod's help with?
4. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
5. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
6. Describe Teresa's influence on Hurry.
7. How does Rod's car get vandalized?
8. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
9. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
10. How does Allen guide the foreman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Smith employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)