|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the General Manager of The Sonder Ditch Mine found underground?
2. What is hidden in a storage bin working its way through holes in Chapter 16?
3. Who is is one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
4. What does the office environment mentioned in Chapter 11 resemble?
5. Who does Rod give some time off the stopes after the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Joseph has hidden gold from his employer.
2. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
3. Describe Hurry Hirschfield.
4. How does Rod meet Teresa?
5. Describe the situation in the mining area in the opening of Chapter 1.
6. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
7. Describe the assault in the mine.
8. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
9. What does Manfred offer Rod in Chapter 8?
10. What happens when King learns that Jose is stealing from them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)