|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the general manager die of?
2. Who comes to monitor the seismic activity in the area?
3. Whose death does Rod acknowledge at the mining meeting?
4. How many people wait in a room behind one-way glass?
5. What kind of award is mentioned that will be given out as a result of the accident to Rod in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Teresa change clothes?
2. Describe the situation in the mining area in the opening of Chapter 1.
3. How does Rod meet Teresa?
4. How does Rod's car get vandalized?
5. What happens when the machine boy stumbles and water spurts out in the mine?
6. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
7. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
8. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
9. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
10. What is Manfred's week of triumphs entail in Europe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Smith employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 2
Travel through mining areas appears throughout "Gold Mine". Who travels? Who stays behind? In what ways are characters motivated by their ability to travel? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)