|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Rod leave the Steyner house?
2. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
3. How many people wait in a room behind one-way glass?
4. Where does Dan want Rod to go to help with an assault case?
5. What is ninety-five-hundred feet beneath the earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
2. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
3. How does Rod meet Teresa?
4. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
5. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
6. What happens when the drill cuts into a fissure?
7. Why does Terry go to the safe and what happens to her?
8. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
9. How does Rod attempt to repair the mine?
10. What does the Detective Inspector want Rod's help with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Travel through mining areas appears throughout "Gold Mine". Who travels? Who stays behind? In what ways are characters motivated by their ability to travel? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Smith's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Essay Topic 3
There are many different cultures in "Gold Mine" related to the different kinds of characters and the different settings. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Smith's life? Do some research and discuss.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)