|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Big King leads his Shangaan's back to Dump town at a trot, what is he singing?
2. Where did the assault that Dan wants to discuss happen?
3. Where are Teresa and Rod left alone in Chapter 33?
4. What does Rod read in Chapter 12?
5. Who is from the Shangaan tribe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Davy make a mistake at the mine on duty?
2. How does the Inspector begin to put together the real story of Jose's death?
3. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
4. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
5. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
6. What does Manfred do that makes the fat man apoplectic?
7. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
8. How does Dan rescue Terry?
9. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
10. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Travel through mining areas appears throughout "Gold Mine". Who travels? Who stays behind? In what ways are characters motivated by their ability to travel? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Rod and Manfred are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Rod had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Manfred had a direct influence upon?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)