|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rod notice on Joseph's lip?
2. How many men are missing in total in the mine?
3. What is Rod offered in exchange for his loyalty by the host?
4. Who comes to monitor the seismic activity in the area?
5. Who does Rod tell the man in his office will be in touch with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Joseph has hidden gold from his employer.
2. What does Manfred do that makes the fat man apoplectic?
3. How does Jose make a profit from gold?
4. Describe the situation in the mining area in the opening of Chapter 1.
5. How does Rod's car get vandalized?
6. How does Rod attempt to repair the mine?
7. How does Allen guide the foreman?
8. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
9. What makes Manfred jealous of Rod?
10. What does the Detective Inspector want Rod's help with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Gold Mine". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
This section contains 1,499 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)