|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rod take with him as he goes to work at his new office?
2. Who is the top rock breaker in the Sonder Ditch?
3. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
4. How many stitches did the man injured in an assault in the mine receive?
5. What part of the injured manager's body is removed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Manfred deceive Rod while he spies on him?
2. Why is Hettie relieved on hearing the death of the men at the mine?
3. What does Manfred offer Rod in Chapter 8?
4. How does Allen guide the foreman?
5. Why does Davy make a mistake at the mine on duty?
6. How does the Inspector begin to put together the real story of Jose's death?
7. Why is Melanie's mother angry at Rod?
8. What does Manfred do that makes the fat man apoplectic?
9. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
10. What happens when King cuts the dinghy free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of the title "Gold Mine"? How does this relate to the protagonist Rod and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book "Gold Mine"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
Essay Topic 3
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)