|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rod visits Joseph's station, what is he doing?
2. Who does Rod tell the man in his office will be in touch with him?
3. When Rod's visitor leaves, he falls and hits what part of his body on a desk?
4. Who does Rod take with him as he goes to work at his new office?
5. What does the person watching Rod leave the Steyner house do for a second time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hurry Hirschfield.
2. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
3. Why does Manfred need Teresa's help?
4. How does Allen guide the foreman?
5. Why is Melanie's mother angry at Rod?
6. How does Jose make a profit from gold?
7. Why is Hettie relieved on hearing the death of the men at the mine?
8. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
9. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
10. How is Dan pleasantly surprised by his evening out with Rod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "Gold Mine"? How does this relate to the protagonist Rod and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book "Gold Mine"? Cite an example to support your answer.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)