|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the house that Rod visits is spectacular?
2. Who feels the earth shake in Chapter 1?
3. Where does one of the richest and most influential men in Africa have his office?
4. Who tamps the Dynagel into the shot holes?
5. Where does Teresa meet her grandfather in Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny start drilling quicker than others?
2. Why does Teresa change clothes?
3. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
4. What does Johnny want from Rod?
5. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
6. How does Allen guide the foreman?
7. Why does Big King feel defeated about the murder and theft?
8. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
9. How does Manfred get into an accident?
10. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Gold Mine". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for this novel. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular culture events. How do these settings even if imaginary, reflect modern settings or culture? Why did the author choose to use these places in "Gold Mine"?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)