|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the men receive in return for flooding 5 mines?
2. Who tamps the Dynagel into the shot holes?
3. Where did the assault that Dan wants to discuss happen?
4. What instrument/equipment does Manfred speak into?
5. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
2. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
3. What happens when the machine boy stumbles and water spurts out in the mine?
4. How does Manfred get into an accident?
5. What makes Manfred jealous of Rod?
6. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
7. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
8. Describe Johnny.
9. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
10. How does Rod's arms break?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gold Mine" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Travel through mining areas appears throughout "Gold Mine". Who travels? Who stays behind? In what ways are characters motivated by their ability to travel? What is their effect on other characters and their lives? Do these characters change over time? Why or why not? Describe.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)