|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does King order in Chapter 35?
2. How many stitches did the man injured in an assault in the mine receive?
3. What does Manfred's caller on the phone ask about?
4. Who approaches Rod and tells him that his boss boy has ﬁnished his ticket?
5. Who does Rod pull out of the stopes while he does his investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rod's arms break?
2. What does Johnny want from Rod?
3. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
4. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
5. How does Johnny start drilling quicker than others?
6. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
7. What does Manfred offer Rod in Chapter 8?
8. What does the Detective Inspector want Rod's help with?
9. How does Allen guide the foreman?
10. How does the Inspector begin to put together the real story of Jose's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Rod and Manfred are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Rod had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Manfred had a direct influence upon?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Gold Mine". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)