|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rod notice on Joseph's lip?
2. How many people wait in a room behind one-way glass?
3. What does Rod read in Chapter 12?
4. Who does Hurry want for the position of General Manager?
5. Who designed the office environment for one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
2. What happens when King learns that Jose is stealing from them?
3. What does Manfred do that makes the fat man apoplectic?
4. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
5. How is Dan pleasantly surprised by his evening out with Rod?
6. How does Johnny start drilling quicker than others?
7. How does Allen guide the foreman?
8. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
9. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
10. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)