|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person watching Rod leave the Steyner house do for a second time?
2. What is the nickname given to one of the richest and most influential men in Africa by the man who built his office?
3. How many men are missing in total in the mine?
4. How many people are gathered in the mining hall?
5. Who is is one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
2. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
3. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
4. Why does Terry go to the safe and what happens to her?
5. How does Rod's car get vandalized?
6. How does Allen guide the foreman?
7. Why does Davy make a mistake at the mine on duty?
8. How does Rod's arms break?
9. What is Manfred's week of triumphs entail in Europe?
10. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in "Gold Mine" takes on very different forms. For example, Teresa, Manfred's wife is quite different from Joy or Hettie. Describe.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)