|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will Rod receive as a result of his new job position?
2. In what city does one of the richest and most influential men in Africa live?
3. What will the men receive in return for flooding 5 mines?
4. Who does Rod convince to go with him when he meets Teresa in Chapter 33?
5. Who does Rod pull out of the stopes while he does his investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the machine boy stumbles and water spurts out in the mine?
2. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
3. Why does Manfred throw up?
4. How are the mining men rescued and what kind of blasts do they use and why?
5. How does the Inspector begin to put together the real story of Jose's death?
6. Describe Hurry Hirschfield.
7. What excites Manfred about the report he receives about drilling?
8. Describe how Joseph has hidden gold from his employer.
9. Why does Rod take the Mary Anne?
10. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are many different cultures in "Gold Mine" related to the different kinds of characters and the different settings. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Smith's life? Do some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)