|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are missing in total in the mine?
2. Who does Rod tell the man in his office will be in touch with him?
3. What collapses in Chapter 1?
4. What does Manfred's caller on the phone ask about?
5. What part of the injured manager's body is removed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
2. Why does Terry go to the safe and what happens to her?
3. How does Manfred get into an accident?
4. What does Manfred offer Rod in Chapter 8?
5. Describe Hurry Hirschfield.
6. How are the mining men rescued and what kind of blasts do they use and why?
7. What is Manfred's week of triumphs entail in Europe?
8. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
9. How does Rod's car get vandalized?
10. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
Essay Topic 1
"Gold Mine" is particularly effective in conveying meaning through powerful imagery. Powerful imagery to establish connections in the minds of readers with the story's characters and plot. Imagery is the picture we form in our minds of the story we read. It can involve, visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile, kinetic, and kinesthetic. The author uses these imagery to translate words into a visual story that we can see and participate in within our minds. Describe the use of imagery in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Smith employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)