Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who designed the office environment for one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
2. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
3. Whose death does Rod acknowledge at the mining meeting?
4. Where does the person who invited Manfred to gamble stay?
5. What does Manfred lose at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joseph M'Kati.
2. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
3. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
4. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
5. What makes Manfred jealous of Rod?
6. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
7. Why does Manfred need Teresa's help?
8. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
9. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
10. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
Essay Topic 1
There are many different cultures in "Gold Mine" related to the different kinds of characters and the different settings. Which aspects appear invented and which characters seem modeled or inspired by real people in Smith's life? Do some research and discuss.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the title "Gold Mine"? How does this relate to the protagonist Rod and in particular to the main theme of the book? What did the author mean by calling the book "Gold Mine"? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)