|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stitches did the man injured in an assault in the mine receive?
2. How old is the top rock breaker in the Sonder Ditch?
3. Who does Teresa promote to be in the General Manager position?
4. Who tamps the Dynagel into the shot holes?
5. What does Rod read in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rob's meeting at the head office with Manfred about drilling after the accident.
2. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
3. What happens when the machine boy stumbles and water spurts out in the mine?
4. What does Manfred ask Rod to do in terms of drilling after he reads the report on the drilling site?
5. Why is Hurry angry at Rod and what does he do about it?
6. Why does Rod take the Mary Anne?
7. What does Hurry tell King's family?
8. Describe Johnny and Constantine's altercation at the hotel where he goes dancing.
9. How does Jose make a profit from gold?
10. Describe Hurry Hirschfield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rod and Manfred are two of the most active characters.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Rod had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Manfred had a direct influence upon?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,643 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)