|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has Rod gotten a job?
2. What does Manfred ask his caller on the phone for permission to do?
3. Who does Teresa promote to be in the General Manager position?
4. What does Rod notice on Joseph's lip?
5. How many men are missing in total in the mine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
2. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
3. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
4. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
5. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
6. Why does Davy make a mistake at the mine on duty?
7. Why does Teresa change clothes?
8. Describe Johnny and Constantine's altercation at the hotel where he goes dancing.
9. How is Dan pleasantly surprised by his evening out with Rod?
10. How does Rod attempt to repair the mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
Essay Topic 2
Power in society is a prevailing theme of "Gold Mine". Smith frequently refers to this theme, painting the picture of two worlds that are struggling for power and survival. How does power relate to having gold or wealth? Which characters appear honest and which appear corrupt and why? Which characters appear to rise above corruption even if they were initially vulnerable to it? What is your opinion of the society that Smith describes? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Smith's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)