|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who feels the earth shake in Chapter 1?
2. Who does Rod give some time off the stopes after the accident?
3. How many people are gathered in the mining hall?
4. Who is called in to pull out the General Manager?
5. What kind of award is mentioned that will be given out as a result of the accident to Rod in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation in the mining area in the opening of Chapter 1.
2. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
3. How are the mining men rescued and what kind of blasts do they use and why?
4. How does Rod meet Teresa?
5. Why does Rod take the Mary Anne?
6. How does Manfred deceive Rod while he spies on him?
7. Why is Melanie's mother angry at Rod?
8. How does the Inspector begin to put together the real story of Jose's death?
9. How does Rod's arms break?
10. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these two female characters in the book, Teresa and Hettie. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,393 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)