|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dead men does Rod see underground?
2. Whose death does Rod acknowledge at the mining meeting?
3. What will the men receive in return for flooding 5 mines?
4. What instrument/equipment does Manfred speak into?
5. Where does Dan want Rod to go to help with an assault case?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Manfred deceive Rod while he spies on him?
2. What excites Manfred about the report he receives about drilling?
3. What is Manfred's week of triumphs entail in Europe?
4. Describe Teresa's influence on Hurry.
5. How does Rod attempt to repair the mine?
6. Why does Manfred throw up?
7. What happens when the machine boy stumbles and water spurts out in the mine?
8. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
9. How does Johnny start drilling quicker than others?
10. How is Dan pleasantly surprised by his evening out with Rod?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that Rod grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Rod. What does he look like? What are his positive personality traits? What are some of his negative characteristics? What are his hopes and fears? What motivates him at this point in his life?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)