Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who designed the office environment for one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
2. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
3. Whose death does Rod acknowledge at the mining meeting?
4. Where does the person who invited Manfred to gamble stay?
5. What does Manfred lose at?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Joseph M'Kati.
2. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
3. What do the four Bantu workers in the mine do secretly that Rod fails to notice when he walks around with Herbert.
4. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
5. What makes Manfred jealous of Rod?
6. What does Kowalski admit to doing and what does Rod do in response?
7. Why does Manfred need Teresa's help?
8. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
9. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
10. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
Explain Smith's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
Smith employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)