|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons Rod to come to his house after the death of the general manager?
2. When Big King leads his Shangaan's back to Dump town at a trot, what is he singing?
3. Who tamps the Dynagel into the shot holes?
4. How many stitches did the man injured in an assault in the mine receive?
5. Who is is one of the richest and most influential men in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the drill cuts into a fissure?
2. Describe Johnny.
3. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
4. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
5. What does Johnny want from Rod?
6. Why does Hurry hate the office he works in?
7. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
8. Describe how Joseph has hidden gold from his employer.
9. Why is Hettie relieved on hearing the death of the men at the mine?
10. Describe Johnny and Constantine's altercation at the hotel where he goes dancing.
Essay Topic 1
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Smith discusses both sexuality in detail, contrasting single and married couples in "Gold Mine." Find some examples in the book and discuss the effect of these topics on the characters of Rod and Manfred.
Essay Topic 3
Violence is a recurring theme in "Gold Mine". Who is violent and in what way? Describe some of the some of the ways violence is expressed. Does violence result in positive or negative consequences for the main characters? Discuss.
This section contains 1,425 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)