|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the men receive in return for flooding 5 mines?
2. Who does Rod pull out of the stopes while he does his investigation?
3. What is already crowded with emergency personnel?
4. In what city does one of the richest and most influential men in Africa live?
5. What is ninety-five-hundred feet beneath the earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Manfred's typical gambling streak of losing?
2. Why is Melanie's mother angry at Rod?
3. Describe the assault in the mine.
4. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
5. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
6. How are the mining men rescued and what kind of blasts do they use and why?
7. Why does Big King feel defeated about the murder and theft?
8. Describe Johnny.
9. Why does Teresa change clothes?
10. How does Rod meet Teresa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in "Gold Mine". Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Smith employs simple, minimalist, highly controlled, meticulous yet effective language contrasted with complex language at times to convey powerful imagery and ideas. Both styles employ powerful symbolism. Choose an example of symbolism, briefly describe it, and identify the technique which it embodies.
Essay Topic 3
The author describes murder and theft in the latter half of the book. Who dies? What is stolen? Who is affected? How does this change the course of the narrative? What action occurs subsequently as a direct result? Describe.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)