|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rod feel the need to please and conducts time-delayed blasts in the mine?
2. Who does Rod give some time off the stopes after the accident?
3. Who is from the Shangaan tribe?
4. What does the man next to Manfred on the plane do that makes him smell bad?
5. When Rod visits Joseph's station, what is he doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Davy make a mistake at the mine on duty?
2. Why is Manfred disgusted by the man sitting next to him on the plane?
3. Describe Rod's meeting with Herbert about the leak.
4. Why does Frank die in Chapter 6?
5. Describe what happens to Rod and Terry after he gets promoted.
6. Where is Frank Lemmler during the blast at the mine?
7. What does Johnny want from Rod?
8. Describe Johnny and Constantine's altercation at the hotel where he goes dancing.
9. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
10. What does Hurry tell King's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Greed is a theme Smith introduces in "Gold Mine". What does this phrase mean? How does it relate to mining and wealth? What does Smith ultimately say about the desire for wealth through the characters of Rod, Manfred, Hirschfield, and Kowalski and what is the importance of this discovery and the characters' role? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the depiction of these two female characters in the book, Teresa and Hettie. How are they similar? How are they different? How are their ultimate experiences similar? What is the lesson that the author wishes to convey through these examples?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)