|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the assault that Dan wants to discuss happen?
2. Who starts to well up with tears watching Rod at the meeting?
3. Who is from the Shangaan tribe?
4. What does Joseph turn off once Rod leaves?
5. Where does Dan want Rod to go to help with an assault case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Manfred lose at gambling?
2. What does Manfred ask Rod to do in terms of drilling after he reads the report on the drilling site?
3. Describe Rod and Joseph's interaction in Chapter 21.
4. Describe Teresa's reaction at the awards ceremony.
5. What does Manfred do that makes the fat man apoplectic?
6. What is the plan concocted to destroy the mines?
7. What is the secret deal that Manfred conducts on the phone?
8. Why does Manfred need Teresa's help?
9. How do men die in the mine from Davy's mistake?
10. Why does Rod take the Mary Anne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in "Gold Mine". Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Big King. What is his role in "Gold Mine"? What was Smith trying to accomplish by creating Big King's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Smith's use of humor in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of humor and explain why the author used them where he did.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)