|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the attitude of the white passengers change during the narrator's last trip to America in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
(a) It never changed.
(b) It was always hostile.
(c) After they set sail.
(d) As they grew closer to America.
2. Who takes Ruth to lunch in Come Out the Wilderness?
(a) Mr. Davis.
(b) The secretaries.
(c) Ruth's mom.
(d) Ruth's roommate.
3. In Come Out the Wilderness, where does Ruth work ?
(a) A school.
(b) An insurance company.
(c) A doctor's office.
(d) A law firm.
4. Who was seen taking money from one of the girl's purses in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
5. In Sonny's Blues, who does the teacher run into after school one day?
(a) His brother's ex wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His brother's friend.
(d) His sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Going to Meet the Man, what is unfortunate about the blacks in Jesse's town according to Jesse?
2. In Sonny's Blues, who does the teacher not attempt to contact at the beginning of the story?
3. Who thanks the narrator for "showing other blacks it can be done" in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
4. Where did the teacher return from when his mother died?
5. Who does Ruth listen to talk about her boss in Come Out the Wilderness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jesse told to stop at work that day in Going to Meet the Man?
2. How does the teacher feel at the club with his brother in Sonny's Blues?
3. In Sonny's Blues, why did the teacher's mother tell Sonny the story about his uncle's death?
4. What happened to the teacher's uncle and why is it significant?
5. How does Sonny feel about using drugs after prison?
6. How does the teacher react to Sonny's imprisonment?
7. Describe the narrator's last night in Paris.
8. Describe where the narrator is from in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon.
9. In Going to Meet the Man, describe Jesse's memory from his childhood.
10. Why is Jess frustrated at the beginning of Going to Meet the Man?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)