|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story does the teacher think about the first night Sonny stays with him?
(a) The first time he and his brother went to school.
(b) A story his mom told him after his father died.
(c) The first moment he realized his father was never coming back.
(d) He and Sonny growing up.
2. Which of the following was NOT part of the torture the black man underwent in Jesse's memory from Going to Meet the Man?
(b) Spit on.
(c) Chained to a tree.
3. What offer does Ruth receive at work in Come Out the Wilderness?
(a) To be Mr. Davis's private secretary.
(b) A new office.
(c) To move to Europe.
(d) A pay raise.
4. Who did the teacher leave Sonny with while he returned to service overseas?
(a) His parent's best friends.
(b) His new wife.
(c) His neighbor's.
(d) His girlfriend.
5. What did Sonny play night and day while the teacher was gone overseas in Sonny's Blues?
(a) The electric guitar.
(b) The bass guitar.
(c) The piano.
(d) The harmonica.
6. How old is the narrator's son in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
7. How did the teacher's uncle die in Sonny's Blues?
(a) He had cancer.
(b) He was hit by a car.
(c) He was shot.
(d) He froze to death.
8. When does the teacher write to his brother, Sonny?
(a) After their mother dies.
(b) After he has a memory about his mother.
(c) After his brother's ex wife dies.
(d) After his own daughter dies.
9. In This Morning, This Evening, So Soon where does the narrator promise to take his son before they leave for America?
(b) The park.
(c) The playground.
10. Where were Jesse and his parents leaving from when his dad was singing the song that Jesse gets stuck in his head?
(a) The lake.
(c) The beach.
(d) A picnic.
11. What did Sonny want to join instead of finishing high school?
(a) The Peace Corp.
(b) The Marine Corp.
(c) The Army.
(d) The Army or Navy.
12. What was the narrator's last trip to America for in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon like?
(a) His sister's first birth.
(b) His father's funeral.
(c) His mother's funeral.
(d) His wife's funeral.
13. Where does Sonny stay upon being released from prison?
(a) To his brother's house in Harlem.
(b) To the streets.
(c) To a halfway house.
(d) Back to selling and using drugs.
14. What begins to play in Jesse's head as he thinks about the unacceptable idea of burning the black race down?
(a) A phrase his dad used to say.
(b) A drum cadence.
(c) A song.
(d) A song his slave used to sing him.
15. What does Ruth wonder about her roommate as she accepts her new job in Come Out the Wilderness?
(a) How her mom will react.
(b) Where she will go on vacation with her bonus time.
(c) What Paul will think about her making more money.
(d) What she will buy Paul with her extra money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the narrator of This Morning, This Evening, So Soon been in a bad mood all day?
2. Who was arrested for selling and using heroin in Sonny's Blues?
3. How does the teacher feel when he goes to the jazz club with Sonny at the end of Sonny's Blues?
4. When did the attitude of the white passengers change during the narrator's last trip to America in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
5. Who rings the doorbell while the narrator is showering in This Morning, This Evening, So Soon?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)