|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the first stanza of 'The Judgment Day' where does the preacher say God will appear?
2. What must Moses do for God in 'Let My People Go'?
3. In stanza nine of 'The Judgment Day,' what does the preacher ask his congregation?
4. What is the poem 'The Crucifixion' about?
5. What does Moses ultimately end up doing in 'Let My People Go'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two poems. One poem should show God as vengeful and the other as merciful. Discuss how Johnson addresses these two sides of God. Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two titles from Johnson's book of poetry. Analyze the significance of the title in context of the poem. Why did Johnson choose this specific title? Does it suit the poem?
Essay Topic 3
Johnson uses repetition in several of his poems. Choose one poem where Johnson uses repetition. What purpose does repetition serve? What purpose does repetition serve in the context of the specific poem?
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)