|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the poem, 'Go Down Death' about?
2. In the poem 'Listen, Lord' what does the speaker want the preacher protected from?
3. What does the speaker ask God for in 'Listen, Lord'?
4. In 'The Creation,' what does the leftover light create?
5. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does Johnson write that the preacher should be able to look through ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jesus taken before in 'The Crucifixion'? What is this leaders response to Jesus?
2. Why does the preacher say that Jesus does not name the man or his sons in 'The Prodigal Son'?
3. How is Jesus dressed for the crucifixion?
4. What does the preacher ask God to do for the sinners in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
5. What does God do in the poem 'Let My People Go,' in order to convince the Pharaoh to do his bidding?
6. How will people know that Judgment Day arrives? Who will notify them?
7. How does the preacher wish his words to be delivered in 'Listen, Lord'?
8. How did Adam and Even disobey God? What did God warn them not to do?
9. In the poem 'The Prodigal Son,' what happens to the son while he is in Babylon?
10. In the poem 'The Prodigal Son,' what becomes of the son after living in Babylon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two poems. One poem should show God as vengeful and the other as merciful. Discuss how Johnson addresses these two sides of God. Site specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the term "Empty pitchers waiting to be filled." Which poem does this line appear in? What does it refer to? Analyze the term in the context of the poem.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two titles from Johnson's book of poetry. Analyze the significance of the title in context of the poem. Why did Johnson choose this specific title? Does it suit the poem?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)