|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the 'Listen, Lord' speaker want bestowed upon the preacher?
2. Who does God look down on, according to 'Go Down Death'?
3. What experience is the woman in 'Go Down Death' going through?
4. What is 'Listen, Lord' about?
5. How does the father respond to his son's request in 'The Prodigal Son.'.
Short Essay Questions
1. How will God react to the cries of the sinners in the poem 'Judgment Day'?
2. Describe Death in 'Go Down Death.'
3. Where does God go to ponder His loneliness in the poem 'The Creation'?
4. How will people know that Judgment Day arrives? Who will notify them?
5. Who is the last righteous man on earth in the poem 'Noah Built the Ark,' and how does God reward him?
6. In 'The Crucifixion,' what does Jesus cry out before he dies?
7. Who will God judge on Judgment Day?
8. Why does the preacher say that Jesus does not name the man or his sons in 'The Prodigal Son'?
9. How does God comfort Sister Caroline?
10. What question does the preacher ask his congregation at the end of the poem 'Judgment Day'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the term "Sledgehammer of truth." Which poem does this line appear in? What does it refer to? Analyze the term in the context of the poem.
Essay Topic 2
Choose two titles from Johnson's book of poetry. Analyze the significance of the title in context of the poem. Why did Johnson choose this specific title? Does it suit the poem?
Essay Topic 3
In the poem 'Judgment Day' God divides people into sheep and goats. Describe each group including clothing, and their final destination. Finally describe the events of Judgment Day as written by Johnson.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)