|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does the boy visit in stanza eight of 'The Prodigal Son' ?
2. Who is the poem, 'Go Down Death' about?
3. In the poem 'The Prodigal Son,' where does the son travel to?
4. Where does God send Death in 'Go Down Death'?
5. What does God step into in 'The Creation' ?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how God creates the sun.
2. How does Sister Caroline react to seeing God?
3. How will God react to the cries of the sinners in the poem 'Judgment Day'?
4. What does stanza one of 'The Prodigal Son' warn men about?
5. How does God comfort Sister Caroline?
6. What sign does God deliver at the end of 'Noah Built the Ark' and what does the sign mean?
7. Describe Death in 'Go Down Death.'
8. How does God feel about Sister Caroline?
9. In 'Listen, Lord', where does the preacher plea God ride past? What does he say God will be riding on?
10. What does the preacher interject into the middle of the poem 'The Prodigal Son'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the poem 'Judgment Day' God divides people into sheep and goats. Describe each group including clothing, and their final destination. Finally describe the events of Judgment Day as written by Johnson.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson uses repetition in several of his poems. Choose one poem where Johnson uses repetition. What purpose does repetition serve? What purpose does repetition serve in the context of the specific poem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the term "Empty pitchers waiting to be filled." Which poem does this line appear in? What does it refer to? Analyze the term in the context of the poem.
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)