|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'The Creation,' what does God want to end?
2. What does the first stanza of 'The Prodigal Son' claim men are lacking in combat?
3. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does the speaker ask God to ride past?
4. Why does preacher say Jesus did not name the man or his sons in 'The Prodigal Son' ?
5. How does the speaker describe the congregation in 'Listen, Lord'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the preacher wish his words to be delivered in 'Listen, Lord'?
2. In 'Noah Built the Ark,' what does Eve believe will happen if she eats fruit from the tree? Who tells her otherwise?
3. What occurs during the crucifixion? What is placed in Jesus' side?
4. How does God feel about Sister Caroline?
5. How does the God describe the sinners in 'Judgment Day'? What will they wear? What animal does he refer to them as?
6. How does the son say his new life compares to his old life in the poem 'The Prodigal Son'?
7. How is Jesus dressed for the crucifixion?
8. What question does the preacher ask his congregation at the end of the poem 'Judgment Day'?
9. How does Judas betray Jesus in the poem 'The Crucifixion'?
10. Describe how God creates the sun.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the literary term voice as it applies to poetry. Whose voice does Johnson use in his poems? How does this influence the poetry? How does it influence the reader? Use specific examples to explain your argument.
Essay Topic 2
How does Johnson use dialect and dialogue in his poems? Site specific examples and discuss why Johnson makes the choices he does. What does it add to the poem?
Essay Topic 3
What is Moses reaction to God in 'Let my People Go'? How does God approach Moses? Why does God believe Moses is worthy? Discuss the relationship between God and Moses in detail.
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)