|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the speaker describe God in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
2. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does Johnson write that the preacher should be able to look through ?
(a) The telescope of truth.
(b) The telescope of eternity.
(c) The telescope of clarity.
(d) The telescope of death.
3. Who does the first stanza of 'The Prodigal Son' say men should not go into combat with?
(b) The king.
(c) The queen.
4. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does the preacher say the congregation need to be filled with?
5. How are the walls of time described in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
(a) Like paper.
(b) Like sand.
(c) Like silk.
(d) Like oil.
6. In the second stanza of 'Go Down Death' what does the preacher do?
(a) Goes forward in time.
(b) Goes to church.
(d) Goes back in time.
7. Which biblical story is 'The Prodigal Son' based on?
(a) The prodigal son.
(b) Kain and Abel.
(d) David and Goliath.
8. How does God feel at the end of the fourth stanza of 'The Creation'?
9. Who is the poem, 'Go Down Death' about?
(a) Sister Carol.
(b) Sister Anne.
(c) Sister Nancy.
(d) Sister Caroline.
10. What is the poem 'The Creation' about?
(a) God's creation of Earth.
(b) God's creation of the moon.
(c) Noah's creation of the ark.
(d) God's creation of humans.
11. In 'The Prodigal Son,' how does the father treat his son when he sees him?
(a) Like an honored guest.
(b) He ignores him.
(c) He treats him hesitantly.
(d) Like a thief.
12. In the poem 'Listen, Lord' what does the speaker want the preacher protected from?
(b) Bad weather.
(c) The Devil.
(d) The unfaithful.
13. How does God feel about the creation of light?
(a) He is sad.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He frowns.
(d) He is pleased.
14. In 'The Prodigal Son,' what does the father eventually give to his son?
(a) His wife.
(b) His love.
(c) Half of his cattle.
(d) Half of his property.
15. What does God create in the fourth stanza of 'The Creation'?
(a) The earth.
(b) The moon.
(c) The sun.
(d) The ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johnson say in the poem 'The Prodigal Son,' the road away from one's father lead?
2. What grows in stanza seven of 'The Creation'?
3. What does the speaker want God to give the preacher in 'Listen, Lord'?
4. What does the boy become in stanza eleven of 'The Prodigal Son' ?
5. In the poem 'The Creation' what helps things to grow in stanza seven?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)