|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the woman's reaction to Death in 'Go Down Death'?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She recognizes him.
(c) She does not see him.
(d) She screams.
2. What experience is the woman in 'Go Down Death' going through?
3. In 'The Prodigal Son,' what does the father eventually give to his son?
(a) His love.
(b) Half of his cattle.
(c) His wife.
(d) Half of his property.
4. How are the walls of time described in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
(a) Like silk.
(b) Like paper.
(c) Like oil.
(d) Like sand.
5. What does the boy become in stanza eleven of 'The Prodigal Son' ?
(a) A beggar.
(b) A banker.
(c) A prince.
(d) A thief.
6. Who else, besides the woman, sees Death in 'Go Down Death'?
(a) Her mother.
(b) The dying person next to her.
(d) No one.
7. How does God create light?
(a) He opens his eyes.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He makes fire.
(d) He thinks it.
8. How many actions does each stanza in 'The Creation' describe?
9. What does the speaker ask God for in 'Listen, Lord'?
10. Where does Death take the woman in 'Go Down Death'?
(a) To look at her past.
(b) To Heaven.
(c) To her mother.
(d) To Hell.
11. What does the speaker request in the final stanza of 'Listen, Lord'?
(a) A wonderful preacher.
(b) A morning dove.
(c) A sign.
(d) A peaceful death.
12. How does the speaker describe God in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
13. What does the boy in 'The Prodigal Son' compare his new life to?
(a) Life in the city.
(b) Life with his father.
(c) Life in the town.
(d) Life with his brother.
14. In 'The Prodigal Son,' what work did the boy do at his father's home?
(a) Field work.
(c) Cattle herding.
15. In the poem 'The Prodigal Son,' where does the son travel to?
(a) His brother's castle.
(b) Far away lands.
(c) The city.
(d) The village.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the woman eventually meets Jesus in 'Go Down Death,' what does he do to her?
2. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does the speaker ask God to ride past?
3. What is the boy's new life like in 'The Prodigal Son' ?
4. In 'Listen, Lord,' what does Johnson write that the preacher should be able to look through ?
5. In the second stanza of 'Go Down Death' what does the preacher do?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)