|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the speaker describe the congregation in 'Listen, Lord'?
(a) As empty pitchers.
(b) As full plates.
(c) As empty plates.
(d) As full pitchers.
2. In 'The Creation' what does God roll in his hand in the fourth stanza?
3. Where does Death take the woman in 'Go Down Death'?
(a) To her mother.
(b) To look at her past.
(c) To Heaven.
(d) To Hell.
4. In the second stanza of 'Go Down Death' what does the preacher do?
(a) Goes back in time.
(b) Goes forward in time.
(d) Goes to church.
5. In the poem 'The Creation,' what appears in the sky at the end of stanza seven?
(a) The moon.
(b) The stars.
(c) A rainbow.
6. What is missing in the city the prodigal son travels to?
(a) A place to pray.
(b) A cattle ranch.
(d) A market.
7. In the third stanza of 'The Prodigal Son,', one of the man's sons approaches him with a question. Which son approaches?
(a) The oldest son is prompted by the youngest.
(b) Both sons.
(c) The oldest son.
(d) The youngest son.
8. What do God's steps create in 'The Creation'?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The volcanos.
(d) The oceans.
9. In 'The Prodigal Son,' what are the people in the city like?
10. What does God describe as "Blacker that a hundred midnights?"
(a) The sky.
(c) The night.
(d) The swamp.
11. What message does the Preacher deliver at the end of the poem, 'Go Down Death'?
(a) That the woman is doomed to a life in Hell.
(b) That the woman is not dead but with Jesus.
(c) That the woman should have changed her life.
(d) That the woman is dead.
12. In 'Go Down Death,' where does the preacher say the dead go?
(a) To Jesus.
(b) To Heaven.
(c) To God.
(d) To Hell.
13. How are the walls of time described in the poem 'Listen, Lord'?
(a) Like paper.
(b) Like sand.
(c) Like oil.
(d) Like silk.
14. What does the sermon in 'Go Down Death' suggest the dead are not?
15. How does God feel at the end of the fourth stanza of 'The Creation'?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the speaker want God to give the preacher in 'Listen, Lord'?
2. How does the preacher in 'Go Down Death' describe Death's body?
3. How does God feel after he created all the elements of the earth and sky?
4. How does the father respond to his son's request in 'The Prodigal Son.'.
5. In 'The Creation,' what does God want to end?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)