|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
2. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
3. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
4. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
5. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Griet love Pieter?
2. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
3. What was most important to Vermeer?
4. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
5. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
6. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
7. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
8. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
9. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
10. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the historical context of Girl with a Pearl Earring. How does the historical context cause Griet to differ as a character from a modern novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)