|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
2. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
3. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
4. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
5. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
2. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
3. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
4. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
5. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
6. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
7. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
8. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
9. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
10. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the historical context of Girl with a Pearl Earring. How does the historical context cause Griet to differ as a character from a modern novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)