|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
2. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
3. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
4. Who beat Cornelia?
5. Who created a compromise for Catharina to trust that her jewelry box is safe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
2. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
3. What was most important to Vermeer?
4. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
5. Did Pieter understand Griet?
6. Does Griet love Pieter?
7. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
8. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
9. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
10. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)