|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
2. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
3. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
4. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
5. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
2. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
3. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
4. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
5. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
6. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
7. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
8. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
9. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
10. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)