|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
2. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
3. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
4. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
5. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
2. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
3. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
4. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
5. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
6. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
7. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
8. What was most important to Vermeer?
9. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
10. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 2
What happens when Griet's hair is exposed to Vermeer? How does this one event change her so much? Why does she become so affected by it?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the historical context of Girl with a Pearl Earring. How does the historical context cause Griet to differ as a character from a modern novel?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)