|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
2. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
3. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
4. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
5. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
2. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
3. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
4. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
5. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
6. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
7. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
8. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
9. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
10. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)