|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
2. Why did Catharina consider moving Griet from the attic room?
3. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
4. What color is the mantle that Catharina wears?
5. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
2. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
3. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
4. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
5. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
6. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
7. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
8. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
9. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
10. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 2
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)