|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
2. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
3. What was the color of one of the pieces of fabric Vermeer gave Griet to cover her hair in?
4. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
5. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
2. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
3. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
4. What was most important to Vermeer?
5. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
6. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
7. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
8. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
9. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
10. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 2
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)