|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
2. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
3. What is the name of Griet's second son?
4. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
5. How many children did the Vermeers have at the time Johannes died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Griet love Pieter?
2. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
3. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
4. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
5. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
6. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
7. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
8. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
9. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
10. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)