|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
2. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
3. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
4. What gift did Pieter often send to Griet's family?
5. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
2. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
3. Does Griet love Pieter?
4. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
5. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
6. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
7. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
8. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
9. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
10. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Griet's hair is exposed to Vermeer? How does this one event change her so much? Why does she become so affected by it?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)