|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Pieter say that he thought would make Griet happy?
2. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
3. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
4. What color is the mantle that Catharina wears?
5. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
2. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
3. What was most important to Vermeer?
4. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
5. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
6. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
7. Did Pieter understand Griet?
8. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
9. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
10. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)