|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
2. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
3. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
4. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
5. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Pieter understand Griet?
2. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
3. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
4. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
5. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
8. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
9. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
10. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 3
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)