|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
2. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
3. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
4. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
5. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
2. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
3. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
4. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
5. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. What was most important to Vermeer?
8. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
9. Does Griet love Pieter?
10. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)