|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
2. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
3. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
4. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
5. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
2. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
3. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
4. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
5. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
8. Did Pieter understand Griet?
9. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
10. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
Essay Topic 3
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)