|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
2. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
3. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
4. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
5. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
2. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
3. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
4. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
5. Did Pieter understand Griet?
6. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
7. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
8. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
9. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
10. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 2
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)