|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
2. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
3. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
4. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
5. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was most important to Vermeer?
2. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
3. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
4. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
5. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
6. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
7. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
8. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
9. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
10. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 2
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)