|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
2. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
3. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
4. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
5. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
2. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
3. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
4. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
5. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
6. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
7. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
8. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
9. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
10. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
Essay Topic 3
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)