|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
2. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
3. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
4. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
5. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Pieter understand Griet?
2. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
3. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
4. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
5. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
7. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
8. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
9. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
10. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 2
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)