|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused Griet to stop missing Vermeer painfully?
2. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
3. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
4. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
5. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
2. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
3. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
4. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
5. Why did Vermeer want to see the portrait of Griet one last time?
6. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
7. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
8. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
9. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
10. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
Essay Topic 3
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)