|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
2. What is the name of Griet's second son?
3. What item did Cornelia suggest that Catharina wear?
4. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
5. Who secretly handed Griet the pearl earrings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
2. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
3. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
4. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
5. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
6. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
7. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
8. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
9. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
10. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 3
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)