|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Vermeer feel about Griet posing for a picture for van Ruijven?
2. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
3. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
4. What gift did Pieter often send to Griet's family?
5. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
2. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
3. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
4. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
5. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
6. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
7. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
8. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
9. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
10. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)