|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
2. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
3. When the portrait was finished, how did Griet and Vermeer both feel?
4. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
5. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
2. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
3. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
4. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
5. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
6. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
7. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
8. How did Griet feel after Vermeer saw her hair?
9. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
10. What was most important to Vermeer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)