|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vermeer do to show he did not care to defend Griet against Catharina?
2. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
3. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
4. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
5. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
2. Did Pieter understand Griet?
3. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
4. When Griet visits the Vermeers ten years later, in what condition is the family?
5. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
6. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
7. What conflict did Vermeer's religion create for Griet's family?
8. Does Griet love Pieter?
9. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
10. Why did Griet have sex with Pieter in the alley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 3
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)