|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
2. Who told Griet that Vermeer only saw the world as he wanted it to be?
3. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
4. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
5. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the pearls show that Vermeer did not care about Griet?
2. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
3. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
4. What does Griet's hair symbolize?
5. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
6. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
7. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
8. Did Pieter understand Griet?
9. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
10. How did Vermeer and Griet feel when the portrait was complete?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)