|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
2. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
3. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
4. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
5. What color did Vermeer say the clouds were when the clouds worked together?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
2. Who was Van Ruijven?
3. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
4. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
5. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
6. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
7. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
8. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
9. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
10. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)