|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catharina keep in the studio that needed to be locked?
2. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
3. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
4. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
5. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
2. Who was Van Ruijven?
3. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
4. How did the plague affect Griet?
5. Who was Pieter the Son?
6. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
7. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
8. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
9. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
10. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)