|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
2. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
3. Where did Frans go to start an apprenticeship?
4. What job did Griet's father do?
5. How many butchers were there in Market Square?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Van Ruijven?
2. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
3. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
4. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
5. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
6. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
7. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
8. What role did Griet serve as a servant?
9. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
10. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 2
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)