|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
2. Whom did Griet find to tell that her sister was sick?
3. Whom did Griet bond with most before beginning work at her new home?
4. How did the pregnant woman react to her husband's attention spent on Griet?
5. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
2. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
3. Who was Pieter the Son?
4. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
5. What role did Griet serve as a servant?
6. How did the plague affect Griet?
7. Who was Van Ruijven?
8. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
9. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
10. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)