|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Griet feel most at peace?
2. How did Griet's family react to the death of the youngest daughter?
3. How many days did it take to prepare the celebration feast for the new baby?
4. What job did Griet's father do?
5. What room was Griet to be in charge of cleaning without appearing to have moved anything?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
2. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
3. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
4. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
5. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
6. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
7. Who was Van Ruijven?
8. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
9. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
10. How did the plague affect Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 2
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)