|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Catharina, how did Vermeer feel about Griet's first cleaning of the studio?
2. Who was Griet's younger sister?
3. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
4. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
5. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
2. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
3. Who was Tanneke?
4. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
5. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
6. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
7. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
8. Who was Pieter the Son?
9. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
10. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)