|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
2. What chore did Griet look forward to most?
3. At Griet's family's home, what was the usual dinner?
4. What did Griet think about Pieter the Son?
5. Whom did it seem that Vermeer was competing with most when it came to Griet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
2. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
3. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
4. How did the plague affect Griet?
5. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
6. Who was Pieter the Son?
7. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
8. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
9. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
10. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the historical context of Girl with a Pearl Earring. How does the historical context cause Griet to differ as a character from a modern novel?
Essay Topic 2
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 3
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)