|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
2. Where did Griet feel most at peace?
3. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
4. What did Catharina break that once belonged to van Leeuwenhoek?
5. What did Griet think about the box Vermeer used when painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
2. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
3. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
4. Who was Pieter the Son?
5. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
6. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
7. Who was Tanneke?
8. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
9. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
Essay Topic 3
What happens when Griet's hair is exposed to Vermeer? How does this one event change her so much? Why does she become so affected by it?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)