|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Griet's first chore at her new home?
2. From what perspective is the story told?
3. Who was the main secret keeper for Griet helping Vermeer?
4. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
5. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
2. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
3. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
4. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
5. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
6. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
7. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
8. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
9. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
10. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
Essay Topic 1
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 3
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)