|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
2. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
3. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
4. Whom did Griet find to tell that her sister was sick?
5. On what day did Griet return home for her first day off since moving away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
2. Who was Tanneke?
3. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
4. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
5. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
6. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
7. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
8. Who was Pieter the Son?
9. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 2
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)