|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
2. Where did Griet feel most at peace?
3. According to Pieter the Son, who had fallen ill with the plague?
4. The plague had been found near the __________________.
5. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice did Leeuwenhoek give to Griet?
2. What did Cornelia do with the tortoise shell combs?
3. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
4. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
5. Did Pieter understand Griet?
6. Who was Pieter the Son?
7. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
8. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
9. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
10. Does Griet love Pieter?
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)