|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watched Griet with a smirk as she almost touched the pearls sitting out in the studio?
2. At the opening of the novel, what was Griet doing?
3. Who was Griet's younger sister?
4. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
5. Who caught Griet inspecting the wooden box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
2. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
3. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
4. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
5. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
6. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
7. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
8. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
9. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
10. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways does Chevalier create and release tension in the reader?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)