|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
2. The plague had been found near the __________________.
3. On what day did Griet return home for her first day off since moving away?
4. What was the name of the Vermeers' butcher?
5. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
2. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
3. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
4. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
5. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
6. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
7. How did the plague affect Griet?
8. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
9. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
10. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the value of art play in Girl with a Pearl Earring? Which characters value art? How can the reader tell?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)