|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
2. What was Griet doing when Vermeer walked in to the studio and seemed inexplicably taken with her?
3. Whom did Tanneke jump in front of when Catharina was being hit?
4. What color did Griet lay out for Vermeer to use on the butcher's daughter's skirt?
5. At first, Vermeer told Griet the clouds were ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
2. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
3. How did the plague affect Griet?
4. Who was Pieter the Son?
5. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
6. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
7. Who was Tanneke?
8. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
9. Who was Van Ruijven?
10. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 2
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 3
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)