|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
2. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
3. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
4. What was Griet's first chore at her new home?
5. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
2. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
3. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
4. Who was Pieter the Son?
5. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
6. Who was Van Ruijven?
7. Who was Tanneke?
8. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
9. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
10. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the theme of competition in Girl with a Pearl Earring.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)