|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
2. What chore did Griet look forward to most?
3. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
4. When Catharina gave birth after the death of Griet's sister, what did she name her new son?
5. What drink was served for dinner at Griet's new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
2. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
3. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
4. How did the plague affect Griet?
5. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
6. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
7. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
8. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
9. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
10. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 3
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)