|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plague had been found near the __________________.
2. How did Griet's mother want Griet to respond to the butcher's son?
3. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
4. In what month did Catharina send Griet to the apothecary for supplies for the sick boys?
5. What color did Cornelia smear on Griet's apron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
2. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
3. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
4. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
5. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
6. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
7. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
8. What aspect of Tanneke's personality was Griet moved by?
9. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
10. What family problems did Griet experience at her family's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)