|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the only one to speak kindly to Griet after her sister died?
2. What happened when Griet began to obsess about the plague?
3. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
4. What drink was served for dinner at Griet's new home?
5. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
2. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
3. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
4. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
5. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
6. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
7. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
8. Who was Tanneke?
9. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
10. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 3
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)