|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Griet's younger sister?
2. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
3. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
4. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
5. What did Catharina keep in the studio that needed to be locked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
2. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
3. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
4. Who was Van Ruijven?
5. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
6. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
7. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
8. How did Griet feel caught between two men?
9. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
10. Who was Tanneke?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role that one specific art piece in Girl with a Pearl Earring plays in the novel. For example, you may choose to describe the role of the crucifix painting that is disturbing to Griet.
Essay Topic 3
What are the main differences between Griet's family's home and the Vermeers' home? What are the main differences between the members of the two families?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)