|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet do with her wages after her first week?
2. When Griet arrived home after the plague, where did her parents sit to meet her?
3. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
4. At Griet's family's home, what was the usual dinner?
5. With whom did Tanneke share a room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
2. Was Griet's mother a hypocrite for standing up to the paintings but not to selling out her daughter to marriage?
3. What did Vermeer and Griet bond over?
4. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
5. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
6. Why was it hard for Vermeer to paint Griet?
7. Why was Catharina suddenly wary of locking Griet in the studio with her jewelry?
8. How did rumors of Griet appearing in one of Vermeer's paintings affect her relationships?
9. Why did Vermeer seem extremely protective of Griet in Van Ruijven's presence?
10. How did Pieter become impatient with Griet?
Essay Topic 1
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the historical context of Girl with a Pearl Earring. How does the historical context cause Griet to differ as a character from a modern novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)