|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the grandmother in the household?
2. Whom did Cornelia most resemble?
3. Whom did Griet find to tell that her sister was sick?
4. What did Griet learn about the Vermeer family as she began her second week at work?
5. What did Catharina keep in the studio that needed to be locked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
2. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
3. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
4. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
5. Who was Pieter the Son?
6. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
7. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
8. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
9. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
10. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the most important thing to Vermeer? How does the reader know?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)