|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the cause of death for Griet's sister?
2. What food did Vermeer and Griet bond over initially?
3. What side story was meant to highlight the complexity of Griet's move to the Vermeer home?
4. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
5. What did Catharina want Johannes to do for the family to get more money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Van Ruijven?
2. How did Griet's arrival at the Vermeer home go?
3. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
4. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
5. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
6. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
7. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
8. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
9. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
10. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 2
What is the most important thing to Vermeer? How does the reader know?
Essay Topic 3
How does the Vermeer family background affect Griet? How does the background of the family influence Griet to behave in certain ways?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)