|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Griet's younger sister when Griet left?
2. At Griet's family's home, what was the usual dinner?
3. Whom did Griet bond with most before beginning work at her new home?
4. What room was Griet to be in charge of cleaning without appearing to have moved anything?
5. Whom did Cornelia most resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pieter the Son?
2. Who was Van Ruijven?
3. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
4. How did the plague affect Griet?
5. Why did Griet need to keep her involvement with Vermeer's paintings a secret?
6. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
7. Why did Maria agree to keep Griet's involvement in Vermeer's paintings a secret?
8. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
9. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
10. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
How does Griet break free from her family? Does she want to break free from her family? What event or action is most symbolic of Griet's separation from her family?
Essay Topic 3
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)