|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the butcher's daughter doing in Vermeer's new painting?
2. Who or what was on the tile that Griet's father gave her?
3. What did Catharina keep in the studio that needed to be locked?
4. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what kind of life would she be choosing?
5. What aspect of Tanneke's personality moved Griet after she talked to Pieter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Griet's mother encourage her to accept Pieter's advances?
2. Who was Van Ruijven?
3. What did the splitting of the tile symbolize?
4. What did Vermeer and Catharina often fight about?
5. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
6. What kind of pressure was Vermeer under?
7. What was Griet's first impression of the Vermeer family?
8. What connection did Griet and Vermeer have immediately?
9. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
10. What did Vermeer and Pieter represent to Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do social and class differences play in creating a divide between some of the characters? How do these differences in class and social status create conflict? How do these differences lead to character development?
Essay Topic 2
What does Griet's hidden hair symbolize? What happens when her hair is unleashed? Why does her hair represent sexuality?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Griet decide to stand up for Vermeer's paintings against her family? Is she right to do so?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)