|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From Griet's perspective, Catholicism allowed for ___________________.
2. After the suggestion that he should paint Griet, how did Vermeer act toward her?
3. How did Griet overstep her boundaries with Vermeer?
4. What was the only piece in the studio that Griet did not clean?
5. If Griet were to choose Pieter the Son, what would she lose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Pieter, the butcher?
2. Why did Vermeer decide to paint Griet?
3. How did Vermeer treat Griet differently after he saw her hair?
4. What foreshadowing was evident when the portrait was finished?
5. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
6. What role did Griet serve as a servant?
7. Why did Griet keep her hair hidden?
8. What was most important to Vermeer?
9. Who was Van Ruijven?
10. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does dissatisfaction play in the lives of the main characters in the novel? How and why is Griet dissatisfied? How does she show this?
Essay Topic 2
At what point does the novel experience a climax? How does Chevalier build up to the climax of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is Griet's first impression of the Vermeers? How does the couple live up to Griet's expectation? How does Griet's first impression differ from the reader's? What are the reasons for these differences?
This section contains 1,191 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)