|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the girl who followed Griet to the canal to fetch water?
2. What room was Griet to be in charge of cleaning without appearing to have moved anything?
3. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
4. Whom did Cornelia most resemble?
5. Why was Griet unable to sleep on her first night in the new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the class differences between Griet and the Vermeers?
2. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
3. What happened when Pieter met Griet's family at church?
4. How did Catharina react to the finished portrait?
5. What is the significance behind the names of Griet's children?
6. What metaphorical ownership did Vermeer take over Griet?
7. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
8. What was most important to Vermeer?
9. What does Vermeer's will say about Griet?
10. Why did Catharina seem to fear Griet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Vermeer love Griet? How do you know?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion play in both dividing and bringing together characters? What role does religion play in creating a plot for Girl with a Pearl Earring?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)