|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the owner of Vermeer's painting of the lady at the window?
2. On what day did Griet return home for her first day off since moving away?
3. What did Griet see in Vermeer's studio that allowed her to feel a deepening connection to him?
4. What did Griet's sister's death symbolize?
5. Who told Vermeer that he should paint Griet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did competition play in Griet's time at the Vermeer home?
2. What role does the theme of life and death play in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
3. How did Griet's idea of Vermeer's art differ from Catharina's?
4. What did Griet think about the camera obscura?
5. Was Vermeer protective of Griet?
6. Describe Griet's first visit home after she began to work for the Vermeers.
7. How did Griet feel after cleaning out the studio?
8. How is helplessness a theme in Girl with a Pearl Earring?
9. How did the plague affect Griet?
10. Who was Cornelia Vermeer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happens when Griet's hair is exposed to Vermeer? How does this one event change her so much? Why does she become so affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the victims in Girl with a Pearl Earring? How might both Griet and Catharina fit into this role?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Griet's mother and Catharina. In what ways do they treat Griet the same? In what ways are the alike in terms of goals for their families?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)