|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Vermeer's paintings.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her skirts.
(d) Her hair.
2. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
(a) He has run off to the sea.
(b) He has taken an apprenticeship far away.
(c) He has moved away.
(d) He is no longer speaking to Griet.
3. Where did Pieter and Griet first have sex?
(a) Butcher shop.
(c) Vermeer's studio.
(d) Griet's family's home.
4. What color is the mantle that Catharina wears?
5. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
(a) Her portrait.
(b) Catharina's pearl earrings.
(c) His painting studio.
(d) The Vermeer home.
6. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(b) He wanted to marry her.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He became angry at her.
7. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She hid in the attic.
(b) She ran away from the house.
(c) She locked herself in the studio.
(d) She considered killing herself and then hides.
8. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
(a) A glass of water.
(b) An axe.
(c) A knife.
(d) Black paint.
9. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is shocked.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is upset.
10. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
(b) The portrait of Griet.
(c) The pearl earrings.
11. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
(a) They are Catholic.
(b) They are Protestant.
(c) They are Christian.
(d) They are not religious.
12. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
13. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Protestant paintings.
(b) Holy paintings.
(c) Catholic paintings.
(d) Evil paintings.
14. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are welcoming.
(c) They are angry.
(d) They do not notice him.
15. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a painting with larger subjects.
(b) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
(c) Use more color in the painting.
(d) Include more people in the painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
2. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
3. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
4. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
5. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)