|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
(b) Van Ruijven.
(c) Van Ruijven's wife.
(d) Van Ruijven's maid.
2. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
(b) Use more color in the painting.
(c) Include more people in the painting.
(d) Create a painting with larger subjects.
3. What did Griet always keep hidden?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her hair.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her hands.
4. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
5. When the portrait was finished, how did Griet and Vermeer both feel?
6. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
(b) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
(c) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
(d) Catharina fears Griet.
7. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A ring.
(c) A hair comb.
(d) A paint brush.
8. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
9. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
(a) They are both rich.
(b) They are both happy.
(c) They are both victims.
(d) They are both angry.
10. Who secretly handed Griet the pearl earrings?
11. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He pushes the earring into her ear.
(b) He sees her hair.
(c) He changes the color of her head dress.
(d) He finishes the painting.
12. How much do the Vermeers owe Pieter?
(a) 20 guilders.
(b) 25 guilders.
(c) 15 guilders.
(d) 10 guilders.
13. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(d) Van Ruijven.
14. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
15. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
2. What is the name of Griet's second son?
3. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
4. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
5. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)