|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Her own home.
(b) Catharina's home.
(c) Butcher stall.
(d) A shop at the market.
2. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) Griet is beautiful.
(b) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
(c) She has never been seen as beautiful.
(d) The maid has worn her pearls.
3. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
(a) His wife's sister.
(b) His maid.
(c) The butcher's wife.
4. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
5. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He changes the color of her head dress.
(b) He finishes the painting.
(c) He sees her hair.
(d) He pushes the earring into her ear.
6. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
7. What caused Griet to stop missing Vermeer painfully?
(a) Her marriage to Pieter.
(b) The birth of her first son.
(c) Her new home.
(d) The birth of her second son.
8. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
(a) Vermeer's death.
(b) Her miscarriage.
(c) Griet's miscarriage.
(d) The destruction of the painting.
9. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
10. Griet realized Catharina's hidden items were___________.
(a) Under Griet's bed.
(b) In Griet's chest.
(c) Under a pile of laundry.
(d) In Cornelia's closet.
11. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(a) Linseed oil.
12. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He became angry at her.
(b) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He wanted to marry her.
13. How did Griet feel when Pieter met her family?
14. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her arms.
(d) Her hands.
15. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Holy paintings.
(b) Evil paintings.
(c) Protestant paintings.
(d) Catholic paintings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beat Cornelia?
2. Who is the executor of Vermeer's will?
3. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
4. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
5. What is the name of Griet's second son?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)