|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(b) Van Ruijven.
2. Who secretly handed Griet the pearl earrings?
3. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
4. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
(a) Black paint.
(b) A glass of water.
(c) A knife.
(d) An axe.
5. What did Griet always keep hidden?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her hands.
6. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
(a) The portrait.
(b) The hair comb.
(c) The jewelry box.
(d) The color he uses.
7. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
(a) A point of color.
(b) A point of darkness.
(c) A point of brightness.
(d) A point of contrast.
8. For what was Cornelia punished?
(b) Talking back to her mother.
(c) Hitting Griet.
9. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
10. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
(a) When she uses the camera obscura.
(b) When she hears him talking to his wife.
(c) When she sees the finished portrait.
(d) When she hears van Leeuwenhoek's advice.
11. Where did Pieter and Griet first have sex?
(a) Griet's family's home.
(b) Vermeer's studio.
(d) Butcher shop.
12. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He became angry at her.
(b) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(c) He ignored her.
(d) He wanted to marry her.
13. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
(b) The maid has worn her pearls.
(c) Griet is beautiful.
(d) She has never been seen as beautiful.
14. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
15. What did Vermeer do to show he did not care to defend Griet against Catharina?
(a) He did not tell Catharina about the pearls.
(b) He threw out the portrait of Griet.
(c) He made the decision to make Griet leave.
(d) He kissed Catharina in front of Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
2. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
3. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
4. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
5. What single act appeared to change Griet the most?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)