|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Vermeer's paintings.
(c) Her skirts.
(d) Her hair.
2. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
(a) A point of brightness.
(b) A point of contrast.
(c) A point of color.
(d) A point of darkness.
3. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
(a) Cold meat.
(b) Lavender oil.
(c) Clove oil
4. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
(a) The pearl earrings.
(c) The portrait of Griet.
5. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
6. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
(b) To show the death of a symbol.
(c) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(d) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
7. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(d) Van Ruijven's wife.
8. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They do not notice him.
(c) They are welcoming.
(d) They are embarrassed.
9. What is the name of one of Griet's sons?
10. What did Griet always keep hidden?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her legs.
(d) Her feet.
11. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
12. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
(a) He can't find the right pose for her.
(b) He can't find a good hairstyle for her.
(c) He can't find the right lighting for her face.
(d) He can't find the right color for her clothing.
13. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina fears Griet.
(b) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
(c) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
(d) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
14. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
(a) The jewelry box.
(b) The hair comb.
(c) The color he uses.
(d) The portrait.
15. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(b) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(c) Giving up the painting of Griet.
(d) Firing Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did the Vermeers have at the time Johannes died?
2. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
3. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
4. Where did Pieter and Griet first have sex?
5. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)