|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To show the death of a symbol.
(b) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
(c) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(d) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
2. How many children did the Vermeers have at the time Johannes died?
3. How did Vermeer feel about Griet posing for a picture for van Ruijven?
(a) He does not like the idea and refuses to do it.
(b) He likes the idea but does not agree to do it.
(c) He likes the idea and agrees to do it.
(d) He does not like the idea but agrees to do it.
4. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
5. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(d) Linseed oil.
6. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
(b) His wife's sister.
(c) The butcher's wife.
(d) His maid.
7. Who told Catharina that Griet had been assisting Vermeer with his paintings?
8. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
(a) She is embarrassed.
(b) She is upset.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is pleased.
9. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
(b) Use more color in the painting.
(c) Include more people in the painting.
(d) Create a painting with larger subjects.
10. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
(a) Griet's mother.
(c) Van Leeuwenhoek.
11. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A portrait.
(b) A hair comb.
(c) A ring.
(d) A paint brush.
12. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
(a) Van Ruijven.
(b) Van Ruijven's maid.
(d) Van Ruijven's wife.
13. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
(d) Griet's mother's.
14. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Giving up the painting of Griet.
(b) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(c) Firing Griet.
(d) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
15. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
(b) The pearl earrings.
(c) The portrait of Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what was Cornelia punished?
2. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
3. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
4. How much money does Griet get for the earrings?
5. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)