|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He wanted to marry her.
(b) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(c) He became angry at her.
(d) He ignored her.
2. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(b) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(c) Giving up the painting of Griet.
(d) Firing Griet.
3. Who told Griet that Vermeer only saw the world as he wanted it to be?
(c) Van Leeuwenhoek.
4. How much money does Griet get for the earrings?
(a) 40 guilders.
(b) 20 guilders.
(c) 30 guilders.
(d) 10 guilders.
5. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Protestant paintings.
(b) Evil paintings.
(c) Catholic paintings.
(d) Holy paintings.
6. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Catharina's home.
(b) A shop at the market.
(c) Butcher stall.
(d) Her own home.
7. What color is the mantle that Catharina wears?
8. What single act appeared to change Griet the most?
(a) Griet has sex with Vermeer.
(b) Griet has sex with Pieter.
(c) Griet wears the earrings.
(d) Vermeer sees her hair.
9. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A hair comb.
(b) A ring.
(c) A portrait.
(d) A paint brush.
10. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
(b) Pearl earrings.
(c) A wig.
(d) Catharina's dress.
11. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
12. For what was Cornelia punished?
(a) Hitting Griet.
(d) Talking back to her mother.
13. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
14. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
(a) Griet's miscarriage.
(b) Vermeer's death.
(c) Her miscarriage.
(d) The destruction of the painting.
15. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
(a) The market.
(b) The Vermeer home.
(c) The river.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
2. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
3. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
4. What gift did Pieter often send to Griet's family?
5. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)