|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
2. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her skirts.
(c) Vermeer's paintings.
(d) Her hands.
3. Who is the executor of Vermeer's will?
(c) Van Ruijven.
(d) Van Leeuwenhoek.
4. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(c) Linseed oil.
5. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
6. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
(a) Catharina's dress.
(c) A wig.
(d) Pearl earrings.
7. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(b) Her father.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her brother.
8. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) Griet is beautiful.
(b) The maid has worn her pearls.
(c) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
(d) She has never been seen as beautiful.
9. What single act appeared to change Griet the most?
(a) Griet has sex with Vermeer.
(b) Vermeer sees her hair.
(c) Griet wears the earrings.
(d) Griet has sex with Pieter.
10. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a painting with larger subjects.
(b) Use more color in the painting.
(c) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
(d) Include more people in the painting.
11. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) One year.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Five years.
12. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
13. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
14. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
15. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
(a) When she uses the camera obscura.
(b) When she sees the finished portrait.
(c) When she hears him talking to his wife.
(d) When she hears van Leeuwenhoek's advice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
2. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
3. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
4. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
5. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)