|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
(a) She is shocked.
(b) She is upset.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is pleased.
2. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
(a) He is no longer speaking to Griet.
(b) He has taken an apprenticeship far away.
(c) He has moved away.
(d) He has run off to the sea.
3. How did Griet feel when Pieter met her family?
4. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(a) Van Ruijven's wife.
5. Which member of the Vermeer household has requested for Tanneke to bring Griet?
6. Who is the executor of Vermeer's will?
(b) Van Ruijven.
(d) Van Leeuwenhoek.
7. In what way are Catharina and Griet similar at the end of the novel?
(a) They are both victims.
(b) They are both happy.
(c) They are both rich.
(d) They are both angry.
8. For what was Cornelia punished?
(c) Talking back to her mother.
(d) Hitting Griet.
9. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(b) Linseed oil.
10. Where did Pieter and Griet first have sex?
(a) Vermeer's studio.
(c) Butcher shop.
(d) Griet's family's home.
11. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
(a) The portrait of Griet.
(d) The pearl earrings.
12. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(d) Van Ruijven.
13. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Firing Griet.
(b) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(c) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(d) Giving up the painting of Griet.
14. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
15. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She considered killing herself and then hides.
(b) She ran away from the house.
(c) She locked herself in the studio.
(d) She hid in the attic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
2. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
3. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
4. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
5. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)