|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
(a) Catharina does not think Vermeer would ever have an affair.
(b) Catharina wants Griet to have an affair with Vermeer.
(c) Catharina fears Griet.
(d) Catharina no longer cares for her marriage.
2. For what was Cornelia punished?
(c) Talking back to her mother.
(d) Hitting Griet.
3. What did Vermeer do to show he did not care to defend Griet against Catharina?
(a) He threw out the portrait of Griet.
(b) He made the decision to make Griet leave.
(c) He kissed Catharina in front of Griet.
(d) He did not tell Catharina about the pearls.
4. What does Griet vow to do with the final coins from selling the earrings?
(a) To give them to Catharina.
(b) To never spend them.
(c) To save them for her children.
(d) To spend them right away.
5. How many children did the Vermeers have at the time Johannes died?
6. What was the most important thing to Vermeer?
7. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
(b) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
(c) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(d) To show the death of a symbol.
8. Whom did Griet stand in for as a model?
(b) Van Ruijven's maid.
(c) Van Ruijven's wife.
(d) Van Ruijven.
9. Griet suspected that Catharina believed which of the following about her marriage?
(a) It is alive only through Vermeer's passion.
(b) It is alive only because of her mother's strength.
(c) It is holding on by a thin thread.
(d) It is strong.
10. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
(b) Griet's mother.
(d) Van Leeuwenhoek.
11. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(b) Van Ruijven's wife.
12. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) Eight years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Five years.
(d) One year.
13. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
14. Which member of the Vermeer household has requested for Tanneke to bring Griet?
15. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do the Vermeers owe Pieter?
2. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
3. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
4. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
5. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)