|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
(a) Vermeer's death.
(b) The destruction of the painting.
(c) Griet's miscarriage.
(d) Her miscarriage.
2. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(b) Giving up the painting of Griet.
(c) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(d) Firing Griet.
3. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
(b) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(c) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
(d) To show the death of a symbol.
4. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
5. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
6. Who beat Cornelia?
7. What was the color of one of the pieces of fabric Vermeer gave Griet to cover her hair in?
8. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is happy.
(c) She is enraged.
(d) She is embarrassed.
9. Whom or what did Vermeer want to see one last time before he died?
(b) The portrait of Griet.
(d) The pearl earrings.
10. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
11. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
(c) Griet's mother's.
12. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
13. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
14. What was the most important thing to Vermeer?
15. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He pushes the earring into her ear.
(b) He sees her hair.
(c) He finishes the painting.
(d) He changes the color of her head dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
2. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
3. What did Pieter say that he thought would make Griet happy?
4. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
5. What problem did Vermeer have with Griet?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)