|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item did Cornelia suggest that Catharina wear?
2. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
3. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(c) Van Ruijven's wife.
4. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A hair comb.
(b) A paint brush.
(c) A ring.
(d) A portrait.
5. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
6. Why did Catharina consider moving Griet from the attic room?
(a) She suspects Griet and Vermeer are having an affair.
(b) She wants Griet to build a better relationship with Cornelia.
(c) She thinks the attic is unsafe.
(d) The nurse is moving out.
7. What gift did Pieter often send to Griet's family?
8. Griet suspected that Catharina believed which of the following about her marriage?
(a) It is holding on by a thin thread.
(b) It is alive only through Vermeer's passion.
(c) It is strong.
(d) It is alive only because of her mother's strength.
9. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Her hands.
(b) Vermeer's paintings.
(c) Her skirts.
(d) Her hair.
10. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
(a) The Vermeer home.
(b) Catharina's pearl earrings.
(c) His painting studio.
(d) Her portrait.
11. What was Catharina really angry about when she saw the portrait?
(a) She has never been seen as beautiful.
(b) Griet is beautiful.
(c) The maid has worn her pearls.
(d) Her husband is giving so much attention to Griet.
12. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Her own home.
(b) Catharina's home.
(c) Butcher stall.
(d) A shop at the market.
13. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
14. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
15. What did Griet always keep hidden?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her legs.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
2. With what did Catharina attempt to attack the painting?
3. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
4. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
5. What is the name of Griet's second son?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)