|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Butcher stall.
(b) Her own home.
(c) A shop at the market.
(d) Catharina's home.
2. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Five years.
(c) One year.
(d) Eight years.
3. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She ran away from the house.
(b) She hid in the attic.
(c) She considered killing herself and then hides.
(d) She locked herself in the studio.
4. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
(a) Her arms.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her hair.
5. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
6. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
(a) Nine months earlier.
(b) Two months earlier.
(c) Eight months earlier.
(d) Four months earlier.
7. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
(a) The destruction of the painting.
(b) Griet's miscarriage.
(c) Vermeer's death.
(d) Her miscarriage.
8. According to Griet's mother, what did Vermeer's paintings represent?
9. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
10. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
11. Which member of the Vermeer household has requested for Tanneke to bring Griet?
12. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He finishes the painting.
(b) He sees her hair.
(c) He pushes the earring into her ear.
(d) He changes the color of her head dress.
13. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
14. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
(a) They are angry.
(b) They are embarrassed.
(c) They do not notice him.
(d) They are welcoming.
15. When did Vermeer convert to his current religion?
(a) When he was a child.
(b) When he got married.
(c) When his mother died.
(d) When he had children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Griet always keep hidden?
2. What did Vermeer do to show he did not care to defend Griet against Catharina?
3. Why did Griet believe that the backlash from Catharina was not as intense as it should be?
4. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
5. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)