|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(b) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(c) Firing Griet.
(d) Giving up the painting of Griet.
2. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hands.
(d) Her arms.
3. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
(a) The portrait.
(b) The color he uses.
(c) The jewelry box.
(d) The hair comb.
4. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
5. How did Griet's family respond to Pieter's surprising them?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are angry.
(c) They do not notice him.
(d) They are welcoming.
6. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Evil paintings.
(b) Protestant paintings.
(c) Holy paintings.
(d) Catholic paintings.
7. Which item was symbolic of Griet's fear of sexuality?
(a) Her hair.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Vermeer's paintings.
(d) Her skirts.
8. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
(b) The river.
(c) The market.
(d) The Vermeer home.
9. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) One year.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Ten years.
10. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
(a) She ran away from the house.
(b) She considered killing herself and then hides.
(c) She hid in the attic.
(d) She locked herself in the studio.
11. What did Griet use to numb her ear?
(a) Cold meat.
(c) Lavender oil.
(d) Clove oil
12. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
(a) When she hears him talking to his wife.
(b) When she hears van Leeuwenhoek's advice.
(c) When she sees the finished portrait.
(d) When she uses the camera obscura.
13. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
14. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
(a) A point of color.
(b) A point of darkness.
(c) A point of brightness.
(d) A point of contrast.
15. Who told Catharina that Griet had been assisting Vermeer with his paintings?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
2. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
3. To Griet, who was the person who has seen her most exposed?
4. When Vermeer asked Griet to bring Catharina a glass of wine, what was she wearing?
5. Who wrestled Catharina to the ground?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)