|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Vermeer do to show he did not care to defend Griet against Catharina?
(a) He kissed Catharina in front of Griet.
(b) He made the decision to make Griet leave.
(c) He did not tell Catharina about the pearls.
(d) He threw out the portrait of Griet.
2. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) A shop at the market.
(b) Her own home.
(c) Butcher stall.
(d) Catharina's home.
3. Vermeer was using Griet for_____________.
4. Whose clothes did Vermeer want Griet to wear for the portrait?
(d) Griet's mother's.
5. Whom did Vermeer seem to want to protect Griet from the most?
(b) Van Ruijven.
6. Where did Griet and Peter first kiss?
7. What is the purpose of the final chapter of the novel?
(a) To show the death of a symbol.
(b) To tie up story lines.â€ƒ
(c) To show that Griet is happy Catharina is poor.
(d) To show how much Vermeer loved Griet.
8. Who told Griet that Vermeer only saw the world as he wanted it to be?
(a) Van Leeuwenhoek.
9. What was the color of one of the pieces of fabric Vermeer gave Griet to cover her hair in?
10. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
(a) Her arms.
(b) Her hands.
(c) Her feet.
(d) Her hair.
11. Which member of the Vermeer household has requested for Tanneke to bring Griet?
12. Catharina was willing to sell out the fidelity in her marriage for ___________.
13. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Evil paintings.
(b) Holy paintings.
(c) Catholic paintings.
(d) Protestant paintings.
14. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
(a) Catharina's pearl earrings.
(b) The Vermeer home.
(c) His painting studio.
(d) Her portrait.
15. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) One year.
(b) Five years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Ten years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why couldn't Griet confide her fears in Frans?
2. Why did Catharina consider moving Griet from the attic room?
3. What item caused Griet to understand that Vermeer did not love her?
4. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
5. When the portrait was finished, how did Griet and Vermeer both feel?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)