|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who created a compromise for Catharina to trust that her jewelry box is safe?
2. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
3. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
(a) She is sad.
(b) She is embarrassed.
(c) She is enraged.
(d) She is happy.
4. What did Griet's mother serve at dinner after church?
5. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Firing Griet.
(b) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(c) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(d) Giving up the painting of Griet.
6. What was the color of one of the pieces of fabric Vermeer gave Griet to cover her hair in?
7. Who began to distrust Griet with the jewelry box?
8. Where is Griet standing when Tanneke approaches her?
(a) Catharina's home.
(b) A shop at the market.
(c) Her own home.
(d) Butcher stall.
9. What caused Griet to stop missing Vermeer painfully?
(a) The birth of her first son.
(b) Her new home.
(c) The birth of her second son.
(d) Her marriage to Pieter.
10. At what point did Griet know that Vermeer only saw her as being of artistic value?
(a) When she sees the finished portrait.
(b) When she uses the camera obscura.
(c) When she hears him talking to his wife.
(d) When she hears van Leeuwenhoek's advice.
11. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
12. How many months before Tanneke approaches Griet did she hear that Vermeer had died?
(a) Eight months earlier.
(b) Nine months earlier.
(c) Four months earlier.
(d) Two months earlier.
13. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
(a) Sitting and writing.
(c) Drinking wine.
(d) Feeding animals.
14. What did Griet always keep hidden?
(a) Her legs.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her hands.
15. How did Pieter act toward Griet after they have sex?
(a) He ignored her.
(b) He pretended it never happened and continued courting her.
(c) He became angry at her.
(d) He wanted to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Griet feel when Pieter met her family?
2. When the portrait was finished, how did Griet and Vermeer both feel?
3. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
4. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
5. Who beat Cornelia?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)