|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Maria suggest to Vermeer that he paint to make more money?
(a) Create a painting with larger subjects.
(b) Include more people in the painting.
(c) Create a landscape instead of a portrait.
(d) Use more color in the painting.
2. What was Catharina's reaction to seeing the finished painting?
(a) She is happy.
(b) She is enraged.
(c) She is embarrassed.
(d) She is sad.
3. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
(a) Five years.
(b) Eight years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) One year.
4. Who told Griet that there was something dangerous in Vermeer's paintings?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her mother.
5. In the portrait Vermeer paints of a maid for Van Ruijven, what was the woman doing?
(a) Feeding animals.
(b) Drinking wine.
(c) Sitting and writing.
6. Where did Pieter the Son show up uninvited, surprising Griet and her family?
(a) The river.
(b) The Vermeer home.
(d) The market.
7. What did Cornelia take from Griet's chest?
(a) A hair comb.
(b) A portrait.
(c) A paint brush.
(d) A ring.
8. When Vermeer worked on Griet's portrait, how many others was he also working on?
9. What color dress did van Ruijven's new maid wear?
10. What did Pieter say that he thought would make Griet happy?
(a) He says he wants to move in with her family.
(b) He says he wants her to come to the store more often.
(c) He says he wants to marry her.
(d) He says he wants to spend more time with her.
11. In what way was Pieter impatient with Griet?
12. What kind of paintings did Griet's family say Vermeer paints?
(a) Catholic paintings.
(b) Evil paintings.
(c) Holy paintings.
(d) Protestant paintings.
13. Whom did Griet tell about Cornelia's plotting and scheming?
14. What did Vermeer say about the role of religion in his paintings?
(a) They are Catholic.
(b) They are Protestant.
(c) They are not religious.
(d) They are Christian.
15. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(b) Firing Griet.
(c) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(d) Giving up the painting of Griet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warned Griet not to get caught between Vermeer and van Ruijven?
2. Whom did Van Ruijven impregnate?
3. Who placed the pearl earring into Griet's ear?
4. Who created a compromise for Catharina to trust that her jewelry box is safe?
5. Which character set herself up to be disappointed by Vermeer?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)