|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event was Vermeer emotionally torn about?
(a) Hurting Catharina's feelings with the painting of Griet.
(b) Firing Griet.
(c) Forcing Griet to wear the earrings.
(d) Giving up the painting of Griet.
2. How much money does Griet get for the earrings?
(a) 10 guilders.
(b) 40 guilders.
(c) 30 guilders.
(d) 20 guilders.
3. Who beat Cornelia?
4. What scene finalized Vermeer's metaphorical ownership of Griet?
(a) He changes the color of her head dress.
(b) He pushes the earring into her ear.
(c) He sees her hair.
(d) He finishes the painting.
5. To Griet, who was the person who has seen her most exposed?
6. What is the name of the child who recognizes Griet from the painting?
7. Which member of the Vermeer household has requested for Tanneke to bring Griet?
8. What did Griet believe Vermeer would ask her to wear for the portrait?
(a) A wig.
(b) Catharina's dress.
(c) Pearl earrings.
9. Who would be in the portrait with Griet for van Ruijven?
(c) Van Ruijven's wife.
10. How did Griet feel about Vermeer's possession of her?
(a) She is pleased.
(b) She is upset.
(c) She is shocked.
(d) She is embarrassed.
11. What body part did Vermeer tell Griet she must bare?
(a) Her arms.
(b) Her feet.
(c) Her hair.
(d) Her hands.
12. What did Griet determine was missing from her portrait?
(a) A point of brightness.
(b) A point of color.
(c) A point of darkness.
(d) A point of contrast.
13. What did Catharina's attack on the painting ultimately lead to?
(a) The destruction of the painting.
(b) Vermeer's death.
(c) Griet's miscarriage.
(d) Her miscarriage.
14. What did Griet smell like when her parents become suspicious?
(a) Linseed oil.
15. What caused Griet to stop missing Vermeer painfully?
(a) The birth of her second son.
(b) The birth of her first son.
(c) Her marriage to Pieter.
(d) Her new home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the color of the second piece of fabric for Griet's hair?
2. At the end of the novel, how long has it been since Griet ran away?
3. What did Griet do after Catharina tried to attack the painting?
4. What did Vermeer leave to Griet in his will?
5. What gift did Pieter often send to Griet's family?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)