|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
2. What promise does Weller quickly break in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia teasingly says what to Weller?
4. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
5. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
2. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
3. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
5. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
7. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
8. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
10. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Fonsia's actions and confessions in the later half of the play diverge from the facade of her character in the first half of the play?
Essay Topic 2
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
Essay Topic 3
How does the wardrobe of the two characters change during the course of the play, and what does it represent?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)