|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Weller plan to trick Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
3. How does Weller use Fonsia's son against her in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
5. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 2
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 3
The play is considered a tragi-comedy. How does the playwright balance the tragic aspects of the play with the comic?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)