|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
2. What day does the final scene of the play take place on?
3. According to Fonsia, what scared her about her last encounter with Weller?
4. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
5. Why does Fonsia think Weller wants to meet her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
3. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
6. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
7. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
8. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
10. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does luck have in the play? For whom is the luck good and for whom is it bad? Please take the context of the characters' histories into account.
Essay Topic 2
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
Essay Topic 3
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)