|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
2. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
3. Why does Fonsia discard a Jack in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
5. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
2. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
3. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
6. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
8. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
9. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
10. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
Essay Topic 2
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 3
How is the game of gin in this play used as a metaphor for life?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)