|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
3. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
2. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
4. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
5. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
7. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
9. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play is considered a tragi-comedy. How does the playwright balance the tragic aspects of the play with the comic?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)