|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
2. In dealing the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller do differently?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
4. What remark does Weller make in Act 2, Scene 2 that Fonsia considers the most insulting remark she has heard in her life?
5. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
Short Essay Questions
1. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
2. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
3. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
4. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
5. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
7. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
8. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
10. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does luck have in the play? For whom is the luck good and for whom is it bad? Please take the context of the characters' histories into account.
Essay Topic 2
Fonsia relates her phobia of misspelling words when she was an apartment manager. What does this story say about her, and is there any truth to Weller's criticism of her for holding this fear?
Essay Topic 3
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)