|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Weller's business?
2. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
3. What did Fonsia do with the Ash Street house?
4. What is Weller's criticism of the Unitarian group in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
2. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
6. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
7. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
8. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
10. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the poem 'As Leaden as the Aftermath of Wine,' by Alexander Pushkin relate to the play?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
Essay Topic 3
Fonsia relates her phobia of misspelling words when she was an apartment manager. What does this story say about her, and is there any truth to Weller's criticism of her for holding this fear?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)