|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
2. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
4. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
5. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
4. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
5. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
6. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
7. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
8. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion have in the play? How does it define the two characters of the play?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)