|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In dealing the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller do differently?
2. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
5. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
6. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
10. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
Essay Topic 2
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
Essay Topic 3
What role does luck have in the play? For whom is the luck good and for whom is it bad? Please take the context of the characters' histories into account.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)