|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
4. What ruse does Weller use to get Fonsia to come out and see him on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
2. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
4. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
5. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
6. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
7. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
8. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
Essay Topic 3
Is Fonsia vindictive? Is Weller a failure? Please support your responses with examples from the play.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)