|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After making the mistake of getting sick, what mistake did Weller make next?
2. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
3. What signs does Weller show of possibly having a heart attack?
4. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
3. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
5. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
6. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
8. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
10. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play was first performed in 1976. How do the relationships between men and women, as exemplified by the characters in the play, reflect a broken system? More specifically, what outmoded social roles are followed by the characters and do they contribute to their animosity towards one another?
Essay Topic 2
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
Essay Topic 3
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)