|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What signs does Weller show of possibly having a heart attack?
2. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
3. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
4. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
5. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
2. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
3. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
5. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
6. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
8. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
10. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
Essay Topic 2
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 3
How is the game of gin in this play used as a metaphor for life?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)