|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
2. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
4. What happened to Weller's business?
5. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
2. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
3. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
7. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
9. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 2
Is Fonsia vindictive? Is Weller a failure? Please support your responses with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How are Weller and Fonsia's ex-spouses similar in nature? How are they different from her father as she remembers him? Is her son the victim of preconceived notions of hers?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)