|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
2. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
3. What remark does Weller make in Act 2, Scene 2 that Fonsia considers the most insulting remark she has heard in her life?
4. Why does Fonsia discard a Jack in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
2. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
3. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
4. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
5. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
6. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
8. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
9. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The play was first performed in 1976. How do the relationships between men and women, as exemplified by the characters in the play, reflect a broken system? More specifically, what outmoded social roles are followed by the characters and do they contribute to their animosity towards one another?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)