|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
3. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
4. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
5. According to Weller, how many of his teammates attended Cobb's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
2. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
3. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
4. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
5. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
6. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
9. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Fonsia vindictive? Is Weller a failure? Please support your responses with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
How is the game of gin in this play used as a metaphor for life?
Essay Topic 3
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)