|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
2. What is Fonsia's last name?
3. According to Fonsia, the staff never offers her 'her' medicine, but instead patronizingly does what?
4. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
5. According to Weller, the Welfare Department allows people to keep how much money?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
3. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
4. What is the simple truth about old age homes - a truth not even wealth can correct, according to Weller? How might the two characters thwart this truth?
5. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
7. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
8. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
9. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
10. What does the attire of the two characters suggest about their respective attitudes in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do Fonsia's actions and confessions in the later half of the play diverge from the facade of her character in the first half of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)