|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Fonsia raised?
2. How is the first game of gin won in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
4. What is Fonsia's son's name?
5. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
2. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
3. Towards the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller begins misinterpreting what Fonsia says. How do these misinterpretations move the play?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
5. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
6. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
7. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
8. What does the attire of the two characters suggest about their respective attitudes in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
10. What does Gladys Mayes represent in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
Essay Topic 2
The play is considered a tragi-comedy. How does the playwright balance the tragic aspects of the play with the comic?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)