|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Weller suggests that Fonsia check with her doctor and not a welfare quack, what does she snap back at him?
2. How old is Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
3. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
4. What is the score of the first hand played?
5. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
2. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
3. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
4. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
5. Prior to the deal being made in Act 1, Scene 2, how would you characterize this scene - as more of a comedy or a tragedy?
6. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
7. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
8. What is knocking?
9. What does the attire of the two characters suggest about their respective attitudes in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How does Weller's choice of profanity conform to the opening action in Act 1, Scene 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
Essay Topic 3
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)