|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
2. As Weller begins losing his temper, he begins yelling. He also begins doing what?
3. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
4. Fonsia has how many siblings?
5. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
2. What is knocking?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
4. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What new and combative aspect in the interaction between the two characters takes place upon Fonsia winning the hand with Queens in Act 1, Scene 2?
6. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
7. How does the scoring, according to the Hollywood style, work in gin?
8. What is the simple truth about old age homes - a truth not even wealth can correct, according to Weller? How might the two characters thwart this truth?
9. What is it that you think is bothering Fonsia in Act 1, Scene 1?
10. Prior to the deal being made in Act 1, Scene 2, how would you characterize this scene - as more of a comedy or a tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the wardrobe of the two characters change during the course of the play, and what does it represent?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
Essay Topic 3
Is Weller dishonest as Fonsia suggests of him? What instances of dishonesty are present in the play?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)