|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What three cards does Weller need to win at the end of Act 1?
2. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
3. What is the dietitian's name?
4. What illness does Weller claim he suffers from in Act One?
5. How many points does Weller post in the first game in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the attire of the two characters suggest about their respective attitudes in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
3. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
4. Why don't "we have to worry about [Fonsia's] memory any more?"
5. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What is the simple truth about old age homes - a truth not even wealth can correct, according to Weller? How might the two characters thwart this truth?
8. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
9. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
10. What is it that you think is bothering Fonsia in Act 1, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
How is the game of gin in this play used as a metaphor for life?
Essay Topic 2
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
Essay Topic 3
What role does luck have in the play? For whom is the luck good and for whom is it bad? Please take the context of the characters' histories into account.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)