|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Weller, how does Fonsia play the first hand well?
2. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
3. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
4. At the start of the first hand in Act 1, Scene 2, Fonsia claims gin has what effect on her?
5. In Weller's rage, he confirms having what health condition, although he claimed to have no condition in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
2. Why don't "we have to worry about [Fonsia's] memory any more?"
3. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
4. What does the attire of the two characters suggest about their respective attitudes in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
6. According to Weller, what does he believe drives the staff's constant need to entertain the residents of the home?
7. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
8. Why might Fonsia have thought that 'this day' was going to be particularly bad in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
10. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 2
How is the game of gin in this play used as a metaphor for life?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)