|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change in appearance has overcome both characters in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. Weller suggests what about his business partners in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. What is the score of the first hand played?
4. What illness does Fonsia have that requires constant care?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
2. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
4. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
5. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
6. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
7. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
8. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does the condition of the stage setting suggest about the financial standing of the residents?
9. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Weller so driven to play cards? Why is winning against Fonsia so important for him?
Essay Topic 3
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)