|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
2. What happened to Fonsia's husband?
3. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
4. What is Fonsia's nickname?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
3. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
4. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
5. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
6. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
8. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
9. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does the condition of the stage setting suggest about the financial standing of the residents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
Essay Topic 2
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)