|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What score does Fonsia win the fourth hand of gin with in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, what does Weller attribute the winning streak to?
3. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
4. According to Weller, how does Fonsia play the first hand well?
5. What is the minimum number of cards needed for a straight in gin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
2. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is knocking?
5. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
6. Why might Fonsia have thought that 'this day' was going to be particularly bad in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
8. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
9. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
10. Prior to the deal being made in Act 1, Scene 2, how would you characterize this scene - as more of a comedy or a tragedy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
Essay Topic 2
Each scene is set apart by the time of day, the day of week, and the weather in the scene. How do these components complement the action and dialogue of each scene?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)