|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
2. How was Fonsia raised?
3. According to Weller, how can you get more Hollywoods traveling West?
4. What illness does Weller claim he suffers from in Act One?
5. What change in appearance has overcome both characters in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
2. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
3. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Gladys Mayes represent in the play?
5. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
6. According to Weller, what does he believe drives the staff's constant need to entertain the residents of the home?
7. How does Weller's choice of profanity conform to the opening action in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
9. What is knocking?
10. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Weller's story about Gladys Mayes' family represent in the play? Are there common perceptions of the elderly in American society that contribute to this unseen character's unhappiness?
Essay Topic 2
Is Weller dishonest as Fonsia suggests of him? What instances of dishonesty are present in the play?
Essay Topic 3
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)