|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Weller using as a makeshift ashtray at the opening of the play?
2. What is the dietitian's name?
3. According to Weller, what are dietitians not known for?
4. What home does Fonsia wish to go to?
5. When Weller claims to have a good hand, what is Fonsia's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
2. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
3. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
6. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
7. What is it that you think is bothering Fonsia in Act 1, Scene 1?
8. Towards the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller begins misinterpreting what Fonsia says. How do these misinterpretations move the play?
9. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
10. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
Essay Topic 2
What role does religion have in the play? How does it define the two characters of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The play is considered a tragi-comedy. How does the playwright balance the tragic aspects of the play with the comic?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)