|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
2. What scoring system does Weller employ in scoring gin?
3. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
4. Where does Fonsia's sister live?
5. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
2. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
3. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
4. What is it that you think is bothering Fonsia in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
6. In Act 1, Scene 1, what does the condition of the stage setting suggest about the financial standing of the residents?
7. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
8. What new and combative aspect in the interaction between the two characters takes place upon Fonsia winning the hand with Queens in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
10. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion have in the play? How does it define the two characters of the play?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of death in the play? What do the characters reveal about old age in the way they discuss it?
Essay Topic 3
How are the 'entertainments' sources of annoyance, not diversion, for Weller?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)