|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Fonsia raised?
2. How could Weller's statement that 'Gin is a relaxing game,' bear out in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. How many kids does Weller have?
4. What kept Weller from relocating with his family?
5. Where does Fonsia misplace her card in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that you think is bothering Fonsia in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
3. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
5. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
6. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
7. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
8. Prior to the deal being made in Act 1, Scene 2, how would you characterize this scene - as more of a comedy or a tragedy?
9. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
10. Towards the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller begins misinterpreting what Fonsia says. How do these misinterpretations move the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Weller and Fonsia's ex-spouses similar in nature? How are they different from her father as she remembers him? Is her son the victim of preconceived notions of hers?
Essay Topic 2
How are the two characters hypocritical in the play? What does this reveal about them?
Essay Topic 3
Is Weller dishonest as Fonsia suggests of him? What instances of dishonesty are present in the play?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)