|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a 'leg' considered in scoring gin?
2. When Weller claims to have a good hand, what is Fonsia's response?
3. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
4. How many kids does Weller have?
5. Why does Fonsia think Weller might have gone crazy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
3. What new and combative aspect in the interaction between the two characters takes place upon Fonsia winning the hand with Queens in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
5. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
7. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
8. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
9. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
10. What is knocking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Weller so upset about being made a model retiree by the family of Gladys Mayes? How does this relate to him disguising his illness, and how does it contribute to his contempt of the staff and residents of the Home?
Essay Topic 2
Is Fonsia vindictive? Is Weller a failure? Please support your responses with examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
How much do the two characters value truth? Which character hides the truth, which one lies outright, and what does this suggest about one over the other?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)