|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Divine Intervention.
(c) Mind reading.
2. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A televangelist plays in the background.
(b) A choir strikes up.
(c) A magic performance takes place.
(d) The Extended Family visits.
3. In dealing the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller do differently?
(a) Deals himself first.
(b) Cuts the deck.
(c) Asks Fonsia to keep score.
(d) Deals to Fonsia first.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(b) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
(c) He discards the card she needs for gin.
(d) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
5. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Made him out to be crazy.
(c) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(d) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does the final scene of the play take place on?
2. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
3. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
4. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
2. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
4. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
6. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
7. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
9. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
10. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)