|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Mocking him.
(b) Trying to beat him at gin.
(c) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(d) Manipulating him.
2. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Divine Intervention.
(c) Mind reading.
3. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He looses his temper.
(c) He grovels.
(d) He denies it.
4. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(b) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Made him out to be crazy.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(a) An insult.
(d) A curse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
3. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
4. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
5. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
6. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
8. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
9. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)