|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
(a) He looses his temper.
(b) He apologizes.
(c) He denies it.
(d) He grovels.
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(a) Not feeling hospitable.
(b) Fed up.
(c) Being fair.
3. How does Weller plan to trick Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By switching the card he plans to discard at the last second.
(b) By knocking.
(c) By discarding a card that he needs.
(d) By discarding a face card.
4. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He became ill.
(c) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
(d) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
5. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A televangelist plays in the background.
(b) The Extended Family visits.
(c) A magic performance takes place.
(d) A choir strikes up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
2. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
3. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
2. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
3. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
4. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
6. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
7. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
9. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)