|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
(a) Having a sarcastic streak and a chauvinist attitude.
(b) Having a horrible temper and being a racist.
(c) Having a sarcastic streak and a horrible temper.
(d) Having a bad temper and a chauvinist streak.
2. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Of turning him in to the nurses and branding him a trouble-maker.
(b) Of cheating.
(c) Of convincing the staff to send a psychologist out to see Weller.
(d) Of convincing the staff to change Weller's medications.
3. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
(a) "Gin. Goodnight!"
(b) "Gin you Jerk!"
(c) "Gin, Goddamnit. Gin!"
(d) "Gin! Gin! Gin!"
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what threat brings Fonsia to the card table?
(a) The threat of gospel hour.
(b) The threat of interacting with the other 'glassy eyed' tenants.
(c) The threat of another magicial performace.
(d) The threat of rain.
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Throw the cards away.
(c) Call her son.
(d) Call a nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
2. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
3. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
5. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
3. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
4. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
5. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
6. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
7. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
8. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
9. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
10. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)