|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of work did Fonsia do before retiring?
(a) Apartment manager.
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(b) Not feeling hospitable.
(c) Fed up.
(d) Being fair.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(b) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
(c) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
(d) He discards the card she needs for gin.
4. How does Weller plan to trick Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By discarding a card that he needs.
(b) By knocking.
(c) By discarding a face card.
(d) By switching the card he plans to discard at the last second.
5. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
2. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
3. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. According to Weller, how many of his teammates attended Cobb's funeral?
5. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
2. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
3. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
4. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
6. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)