|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1/2 year.
(d) 2.5 years.
2. Why does Weller seek out Fonsia at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) To apologize to her.
(b) To tell her his watch was found by the police.
(c) To check on her condition.
(d) To tell her that her family is there to see her.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
(a) Having a sarcastic streak and a horrible temper.
(b) Having a horrible temper and being a racist.
(c) Having a sarcastic streak and a chauvinist attitude.
(d) Having a bad temper and a chauvinist streak.
4. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Mocking him.
(b) Trying to beat him at gin.
(c) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(d) Manipulating him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Extended Family?
2. What did Fonsia do with the Ash Street house?
3. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, who does Weller claim gave Fonsia the card she needed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
2. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
3. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
4. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
6. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
8. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
10. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)