|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(a) Not feeling hospitable.
(c) Being fair.
(d) Fed up.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia teasingly says what to Weller?
(a) "You are just jealous."
(b) "I just play like an expert."
(c) "You can't win."
(d) "I am an expert!"
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
(a) Fonsia's first response is to claim she will win.
(b) Fonsia's first response is to pretend to be ill.
(c) Fonsia's first response is to leave.
(d) Fonsia's first response is to proclaim that she will not play.
4. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
(a) For slapping her cards when calling gin.
(b) Of not having her card total ready when calling gin.
(c) Of not putting the discard card face down when calling gin.
(d) Of not putting the discard card face up when calling gin.
5. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(c) Divine Intervention.
(d) Mind reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
2. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
3. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
5. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
2. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
4. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
5. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
7. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
10. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)