|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fonsia, what scared her about her last encounter with Weller?
(a) Weller's throwing of the card table.
(b) Weller's language.
(c) Weller's red face.
(d) Weller's yelling.
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
(a) His stories.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His intellect.
(d) His sarcasm.
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, how does Fonsia drive home the example of Weller always having to be 'the victim of bad luck,' as opposed to accepting his mistakes?
(a) By suggesting his business partners were probably better business men.
(b) By suggesting he was always bound for welfare.
(c) By suggesting his temper has lost him more than a gin partner.
(d) By suggesting his wife wouldn't have left him had he been a stronger man.
4. Why does Fonsia think Weller wants to meet her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She thinks Weller is lonely.
(b) She thinks Weller is simply sad.
(c) She thinks Weller is possibly crazy.
(d) She thinks Weller is bored.
5. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Sunshine Ladies.
(b) Mrs. Leala.
(c) Mrs. Mayes.
(d) Mrs. Gibran.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
2. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What is the Extended Family?
4. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
Short Essay Questions
1. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
3. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
4. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
5. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
6. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
9. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
10. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)