|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'just doesn't bother.'
(b) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
(c) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(d) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
(a) He "wouldn't act this way."
(b) He "would call a doctor."
(c) He "would quit playing cards altogether."
(d) He "would go send himself to bed."
3. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(b) Being fair.
(c) Not feeling hospitable.
(d) Fed up.
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By getting gin on Weller's discard.
(b) On the draw.
(c) By knocking.
(d) By Weller knocking.
5. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Weller's criticism of the Unitarian group in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
3. After making the mistake of getting sick, what mistake did Weller make next?
4. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
2. Fonsia criticizes Weller for always blaming his failures on bad luck. How is this criticism true?
3. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
4. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
6. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
7. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
8. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
9. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)