|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Ty Cobb?
(a) A musician.
(b) A basketball player.
(c) A baseball player.
(d) A football player.
2. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Sunshine Ladies.
(b) Mrs. Gibran.
(c) Mrs. Mayes.
(d) Mrs. Leala.
3. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
(a) He "would go send himself to bed."
(b) He "would quit playing cards altogether."
(c) He "would call a doctor."
(d) He "wouldn't act this way."
4. What game does Weller deal while he and Fonsia converse at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A hand of gin.
(b) A hand of solitaire.
(c) A hand rummy.
(d) A hand of poker.
5. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
(b) For Mrs. Gibran.
(c) The Nurse.
(d) For her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What remark does Weller make in Act 2, Scene 2 that Fonsia considers the most insulting remark she has heard in her life?
2. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
3. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
5. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
3. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
4. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
5. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
6. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
7. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
8. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
9. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
10. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)