|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Weller take to try to mollify Fonsia as she is crying on the porch?
(a) He retreives the pillow for her.
(b) He holds her hand.
(c) He puts his sweater around Fonsia.
(d) He kisses her.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
(b) He discards the card she needs for gin.
(c) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(d) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
3. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) That she did cheat at gin.
(b) That she is also on welfare.
(c) That she did turn him in to the nurses.
(d) That her son does hate her.
4. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Ace of Spades.
(b) The Jack of Hearts.
(c) The Jack of Clubs.
(d) The Jack of Diamonds.
5. How is the way in which Fonsia plays her discard in the final hand of the play vindictive?
(a) By pretending to discard the card Weller needs, then calling gin at the last second.
(b) By laughing hysterically after drawing the card she needed to win.
(c) By taking Weller's discard and closing the game with it.
(d) By calling Weller a name as she calls gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
2. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
3. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
4. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
3. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
4. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
5. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
6. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
7. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
8. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
9. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
10. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)