|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Sunshine Ladies.
(b) Mrs. Mayes.
(c) Mrs. Leala.
(d) Mrs. Gibran.
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
(a) His intellect.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His stories.
(d) His sarcasm.
3. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
(b) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(c) He 'just doesn't bother.'
(d) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what threat brings Fonsia to the card table?
(a) The threat of rain.
(b) The threat of interacting with the other 'glassy eyed' tenants.
(c) The threat of another magicial performace.
(d) The threat of gospel hour.
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
(a) He "would call a doctor."
(b) He "wouldn't act this way."
(c) He "would go send himself to bed."
(d) He "would quit playing cards altogether."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
2. Why does Fonsia think Weller wants to meet her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why does Weller seek out Fonsia at the beginning of Act 2?
4. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
2. In what way does the weather follow Weller's cues in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Besides apologizing, what other emotional techniques does Weller use to convince Fonsia to play a round of cards in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
5. Weller guesses that Fonsia lied to him about her son's whereabouts. What is the significance of the lie, and what other lies has she told?
6. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
7. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
8. Although Weller disagrees at first, why does Fonsia think he wants her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
9. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
10. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)