|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Ace of Spades.
(b) The Jack of Hearts.
(c) The Jack of Clubs.
(d) The Jack of Diamonds.
2. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
(a) Her treatment of the Ash St. House.
(b) Her plyaing of the Jack of Hearts.
(c) Mrs. Gibran.
(d) Her ex-husband.
3. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would misspell a word.
(b) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(c) That she would forget her key.
(d) That she would forget the office number.
4. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
(a) That Fonsia lied about having a sister in Ottawa.
(b) That Fonsia lied about being divorced.
(c) That Fonsia lied about having never played cards before.
(d) Where Fonsia's son lives.
5. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) The nurses who hand out medication.
(b) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
(c) A gospel group.
(d) A group that visits the Home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What happened to Weller's business?
3. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
4. What game does Weller deal while he and Fonsia converse at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Towards the end of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller begins talking to himself. How is this 'craziness' foreshadowed?
4. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
6. What lie does Fonsia admit to making when seeking employment earlier in life?
7. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
9. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)