|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action does Weller take to try to mollify Fonsia as she is crying on the porch?
(a) He puts his sweater around Fonsia.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He holds her hand.
(d) He retreives the pillow for her.
2. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Jack of Clubs.
(b) The Jack of Diamonds.
(c) The Jack of Hearts.
(d) The Ace of Spades.
3. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because the Sunshine Ladies were running late.
(b) Because she didn't want to interact with the Extended Family.
(c) Because it might shut Weller up.
(d) Because Weller would only pester her until she played.
4. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
5. What are Weller's final words of the play?
(a) "I win, I win!"
(b) "Gin, gin, gin."
(c) "Damnit to hell"
(d) His final words are to call for a doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. How was Weller possibly a dishonest business man?
4. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. According to Fonsia, what scared her about her last encounter with Weller?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What word in particular was Fonsia daunted by when working?
3. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
4. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
5. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
6. What is the significance of the choir striking up in the last moments of the closing scene of the play? What kind of tune might they be singing?
7. Weller criticizes Fonsia for being vindictive. How does she exemplify this behavior?
8. Explain the exchange of the sweater in Act 2, Scene 2. What could the exchange of the sweater represent?
9. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
10. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)