|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
(a) The gospel hour.
(b) One's funeral arrangements.
(c) Canned vegetables.
2. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
(a) 1 month after Act 1.
(b) 1 day after Act 1.
(c) 4 hours after Act 1.
(d) 1 week after Act 1.
3. Who was Ty Cobb?
(a) A musician.
(b) A basketball player.
(c) A baseball player.
(d) A football player.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Weller referring to when he says "a warehouse for the intellectually and emotionally dead."
(a) The State Legislature.
(b) The Senate.
(c) The Home.
(d) The Hospice Ward.
5. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Divine Intervention.
(b) Mind reading.
Short Answer Questions
1. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
2. How does Weller use Fonsia's son against her in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
4. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. How is Fonsia reminded of her mother in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What has Fonsia done to Weller since their last meeting in Act 2, Scene 1 that has upset him?
4. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
5. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, are Weller's apologies sincere? What about his motive?
7. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
8. In Act 2, Scene 1 Weller says "You can't keep anything around here." What connection does this have with Act 1, Scene 2?
9. How did Fonsia fear the lie she told to win employment would be found out?
10. How does the weather differ in Act 2, Scene 2 from other scenes? Why is it important?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)