Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the start of the first hand in Act 1, Scene 2, Fonsia claims gin has what effect on her?
(a) An assuring effect.
(b) A relaxing effect.
(c) A stressful effect.
(d) A motivating effect.
2. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
(a) Of calling out gin before his hand is completed.
(b) Of discarding a card he know Fonsia needs.
(c) Of discarding a card he needs.
(d) Of calling out the cards he needs.
3. What dish do Weller and Fonsia complain of knowing of no one who likes it?
(a) Stewed tomatoes.
(b) Boiled spinach.
(c) Creamed corn.
(d) Celery root.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller explains how he started enjoying playing gin earlier in life. What context did he play in?
(a) As a businessman on business trips.
(b) As a father.
(c) As a traveling salesman.
(d) As a business partner.
5. How many points do Fonsia and Weller play to in their first game?
(a) 200 points.
(b) 150 points.
(c) 100 points.
(d) 50 point.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cards are dealt to the player (non-dealer)?
2. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
3. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
4. What is the name of Fonsia's youngest grandchild?
5. According to Fonsia, the staff never offers her 'her' medicine, but instead patronizingly does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
3. In the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Weller's temper is the subject of the players discussion. What is Fonsia alluding to when she says "I don't think I'm so much afraid of what you're going to do to me. I just don't know what's going to happen next..."
4. Prior to the deal being made in Act 1, Scene 2, how would you characterize this scene - as more of a comedy or a tragedy?
5. What does Gladys Mayes represent in the play?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
7. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
8. How does Weller's choice of profanity conform to the opening action in Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What is the source of Fonsia's friction with her son?
10. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)