|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller, how does Fonsia play the first hand well?
(a) By knocking.
(b) By discarding her high cards.
(c) By discarding what he needed.
(d) By retaining the Kings.
2. According to Weller, what are dietitians not known for?
(a) Their compassion.
(b) Their imaginations.
(c) Their creativity.
(d) Their flavorful dishes.
3. What is the name of the home?
4. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
(a) Reshuffling the hand.
(b) Dealing her an extra card.
(c) Looking at Fonsia's cards.
(d) Discarding a point card.
5. What does Weller blame his relationship with his children on?
(a) His work ethic.
(b) His parents.
(c) The court system.
(d) His second wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first move of the gin game?
2. What part of gin does Fonsia wish to stick to at first?
3. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
4. What score does Fonsia win the fourth hand of gin with in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. When Weller claims to have a good hand, what is Fonsia's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about the Presbyterian home threatens both characters?
2. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
3. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Weller states that "half of them are catatonic... and... the ones who do talk make you appreciate the ones who don't." Who is the quote in regards to, and what is it about the talking that bothers both characters?
5. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
6. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
7. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
8. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
9. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How would you characterize the questions Weller makes to Fonsia, and how do they propel the first scene of the play?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)