|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Fonsia's sister live?
2. In this game of gin, what is 'knocking'?
(a) Knocking is an alternate way of winning based on who has the fewest unmatched points in their hand.
(b) Knocking is allowed once a game and is a pass on drawing a card.
(c) Knocking allows a player to pick up a discarded card.
(d) Knocking is a rule only the dealer can invoke requiring the player to discard two cards.
3. While Weller's face is turning red in frustration, what is Fonsia doing?
(a) Crunching her candy and tapping her foot to a march.
(b) Watching television through the window.
(c) Fiddling with her cards and humming a tune.
(d) Frowning over her cards.
4. Weller cheats in the first hand by doing what?
(a) Discarding a point card.
(b) Reshuffling the hand.
(c) Looking at Fonsia's cards.
(d) Dealing her an extra card.
5. How many points do Fonsia and Weller play to in their first game?
(a) 200 points.
(b) 50 point.
(c) 100 points.
(d) 150 points.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Fonsia's son live?
2. According to Fonsia, the staff never offers her 'her' medicine, but instead patronizingly does what?
3. What is Weller's last name?
4. What illness does Weller claim he suffers from in Act One?
5. Fonsia has how many siblings?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Fonsia 'fed' Weller the Jack of Hearts in Act 2, Scene 1? Explain why.
2. How many hands has Weller won throughout the play?
3. How is Mrs. Mayes used by Weller to get Fonsia on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What does Weller mean when he says "people say exactly what the hell they mean- then they say, 'I was only kidding.'"
5. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
6. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
7. What does Gladys Mayes represent in the play?
8. In what way does the rain storm in Act 2, Scene 2 complement Fonsia's emotions?
9. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
10. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)