|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Fonsia's last name?
2. What is the name of the home?
3. What mistake does Weller make in the card game at the end of Act 1?
(a) Of calling out the cards he needs.
(b) Of calling out gin before his hand is completed.
(c) Of discarding a card he needs.
(d) Of discarding a card he know Fonsia needs.
4. What is the score of the first hand played?
(a) Fonsia 20.
(b) Weller 42.
(c) Fonsia 42.
(d) Weller 55.
5. How was Fonsia raised?
(a) As a Southern Baptist.
(b) As an 'old time Methodist.'
(c) As a 'stoic Presbyterian.'
(d) As an Orthodox Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
2. What does Weller blame his relationship with his children on?
3. How large are the rooms at the home, according to Fonsia?
4. What three cards does Weller need to win at the end of Act 1?
5. In this game of gin, what is 'knocking'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
2. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
3. What is knocking?
4. What 'admiral... minor virtues' did Fonsia's father personify, and how do you think they might contrast with Weller's character?
5. Towards the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller begins misinterpreting what Fonsia says. How do these misinterpretations move the play?
6. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
7. According to Weller, what does he believe drives the staff's constant need to entertain the residents of the home?
8. What does Gladys Mayes represent in the play?
9. What is the simple truth about old age homes - a truth not even wealth can correct, according to Weller? How might the two characters thwart this truth?
10. What is Fonsia's concern for Weller at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)