|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the home?
2. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
(a) By not providing safes.
(b) By not paying well enough.
(c) By not making theft a firing offense.
(d) By understaffing.
3. What was the name of Fonsia's husband?
4. When Weller claims to have a good hand, what is Fonsia's response?
(a) "I've got a good one, too."
(b) "I hope you win."
(c) "Good, it's about time."
(d) "May the best woman win."
5. How many cards are dealt to the dealer in the gin game?
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
2. How old is Fonsia's oldest grandchild?
3. What score does Fonsia win the fourth hand of gin with in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. Why does Fonsia think Weller might have gone crazy?
5. What does Weller refer to as "dumb Gin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way, according to Weller, does the Home promote theft of its residents by the staff?
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, why would Fonsia's father turn over in his grave, according to Weller?
3. How does the scoring, according to the Hollywood style, work in gin?
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
5. What does Fonsia's childhood suggest about her character?
6. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
7. What is knocking?
8. Why might Fonsia have thought that 'this day' was going to be particularly bad in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
10. In Act 1, Scene 1, what conditions find the two characters at the home?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)