|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Fonsia claims that her mother would have killed her for playing cards. Why is that?
(a) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a man's game, and would have looked down upon it.
(b) Fonsia's mother considered card playing below their station, and would have looked down upon it.
(c) Fonsia's mother considered card playing a sin, and would have looked down upon it.
(d) Fonsia's mother considered card playing gambling, and would have looked down upon it.
2. Weller claims that what is 'a racket'?
(a) Old age homes that require tenants to sign a power of attorney over to the home.
(b) Old age homes that require tenants to relinquish their automobiles to the home.
(c) Old age homes that require tenants to relinquish all their assets to the home.
(d) Old age homes that require tenants to attend religous services.
3. According to Weller, the Welfare Department allows people to keep how much money?
4. How was Fonsia raised?
(a) As an Orthodox Jew.
(b) As an 'old time Methodist.'
(c) As a Southern Baptist.
(d) As a 'stoic Presbyterian.'
5. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
(b) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(c) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(d) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Home, according to Weller, promote the theft of tenants' goods?
2. How many points do Fonsia and Weller play to in their first game?
3. What is the score of the first hand played?
4. What game is Weller playing at the opening of the play?
5. How did Fonsia get over the 'spells' she had after her divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
2. What do the costumes of the two characters at the opening of Act 1, Scene 2 suggest?
3. What does the moment of faintness that Fonsia suffers in Act 1, Scene 2 reveal about the two characters?
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of Act 1, Scene 1, and what might this foreshadow?
5. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
6. What health condition of Weller's is Fonsia becoming concerned about at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
7. How does Weller's choice of profanity conform to the opening action in Act 1, Scene 2?
8. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller's actions contrast his earlier behavior and his current dress. How so, and what does this suggest about him?
9. What do you think is Weller's opinion of the other residents of the home after reading Act 1, Scene 1?
10. What confession does Weller make about himself as it relates to his interaction with the family of Gladys Mayes?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)