|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the score of the first hand played?
(a) Weller 42.
(b) Weller 55.
(c) Fonsia 42.
(d) Fonsia 20.
2. Fonsia wins a hand of gin that Weller would have won had he knocked. What card is she waiting for that eventually wins her the hand?
(a) A queen.
(b) An ace.
(c) The wild card.
(d) The four of diamonds.
3. What day does Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) 1 week after the day of the first scene.
(b) 1 day after the day of the first scene.
(c) 3 days after the day of the first scene.
(d) 1 month after the day of the first scene.
4. How long has Fonsia been at the home?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Four weeks.
(d) Three days.
5. What is Fonsia's son's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon losing the second game, Weller becomes upset and starts collecting cards. What does he forget to do?
2. When Weller begins losing his temper at the game, Fonsia threatens what?
3. What is Weller's last name?
4. What scoring system does Weller employ in scoring gin?
5. What is it in Act 1, Scene 2 that makes Fonsia dizzy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Towards the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Weller begins misinterpreting what Fonsia says. How do these misinterpretations move the play?
2. According to Weller, what does he believe drives the staff's constant need to entertain the residents of the home?
3. How does Weller's choice of profanity conform to the opening action in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, what according to Weller "seems to happen quite a lot to [Fonsia]," and how could this be seen as helpful to the writing of the play?
5. What is Weller's immediate reaction to Fonsia's distress in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does this suggest about his character?
6. Why might Fonsia have thought that 'this day' was going to be particularly bad in Act 1, Scene 1?
7. What point is Weller trying to drive home to Fonsia in his relation of the Ty Cobb story in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. Fonsia criticizes Weller for being cynical. Can you provide an example from the play of Weller's cynicism?
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, the play takes place in the evening. What is the significance of this time change?
10. Given his behavior throughout the play, has Weller gone mad in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)