|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Sunshine Ladies.
(b) Mrs. Leala.
(c) Mrs. Gibran.
(d) Mrs. Mayes.
2. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Of turning him in to the nurses and branding him a trouble-maker.
(b) Of cheating.
(c) Of convincing the staff to send a psychologist out to see Weller.
(d) Of convincing the staff to change Weller's medications.
3. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) To his 'little man.'.
(b) To his 'shadow.'.
(c) To 'the god of Gin.'.
(d) To his 'angel.'.
4. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
(a) He is also abusive.
(b) He is also "a filthy foul mouth."
(c) He is also "always the victim."
(d) He is also self-centered.
5. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) He sold the Ash St. house.
(b) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
(c) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(d) Decided to search for his father.
6. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because he can't remember the score and it doesn't matter anyhow.
(b) Because Fonsia knocked again.
(c) Because he has yet to win a single hand.
(d) Because Fonsia stands up for herself.
7. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
(a) Worn the pants.
(c) Had to outsmart them.
(d) Been unhappy.
8. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
9. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
10. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He flips over the table.
(b) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
(c) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
(d) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
11. In dealing the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller do differently?
(a) Deals himself first.
(b) Cuts the deck.
(c) Deals to Fonsia first.
(d) Asks Fonsia to keep score.
12. According to Weller, how many of his teammates attended Cobb's funeral?
13. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
(b) The nurses who hand out medication.
(c) A group that visits the Home.
(d) A gospel group.
14. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
(a) He "wouldn't act this way."
(b) He "would quit playing cards altogether."
(c) He "would call a doctor."
(d) He "would go send himself to bed."
15. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
(a) Her statements become condescending.
(b) She begins to curse.
(c) Her grammar becomes worse.
(d) She increasingly repeats herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
2. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
3. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what threat brings Fonsia to the card table?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)