|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
(a) A heart attack.
(c) A stroke.
(d) Lung cancer.
2. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Sunshine Ladies.
(b) Mrs. Gibran.
(c) Mrs. Leala.
(d) Mrs. Mayes.
3. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) Decided to search for his father.
(b) He sold the Ash St. house.
(c) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(d) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Call her son.
(c) Call a nurse.
(d) Throw the cards away.
5. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) By doing some card tricks..
(b) By going into a tirade about the poor, drunken, condition of the Home.
(c) By beating the furniture with his cane.
(d) By dancing in the rain.
6. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For her style.
(b) For her card playing.
(c) For her good manners.
(d) For having a good mind.
7. What day does the final scene of the play take place on?
(a) 1 week later.
(b) The day after.
(c) Visitor's day.
8. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
(b) He flips over the table.
(c) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
(d) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
9. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
10. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because it might shut Weller up.
(b) Because she didn't want to interact with the Extended Family.
(c) Because the Sunshine Ladies were running late.
(d) Because Weller would only pester her until she played.
11. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) Made him out to be crazy.
(b) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
(c) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(d) All answers are correct.
12. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(c) An insult.
(d) A curse.
13. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
(a) His sons placed him in "this cheap home."
(b) He had to beg them to take him now that he was out of money.
(c) Weller was placed in this home by the Welfare Department.
(d) Himself, by giving them the last of his savings.
14. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
(a) Worn the pants.
(b) Had to outsmart them.
(d) Been unhappy.
15. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
2. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
3. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
4. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)