|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller gave his business to his sons.
(b) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
(c) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
(d) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
2. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
(a) Where Fonsia's son lives.
(b) That Fonsia lied about having a sister in Ottawa.
(c) That Fonsia lied about being divorced.
(d) That Fonsia lied about having never played cards before.
3. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
4. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
(a) Mrs. Gibran.
(b) Her treatment of the Ash St. House.
(c) Her plyaing of the Jack of Hearts.
(d) Her ex-husband.
5. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
(b) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
(c) He became ill.
6. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
(b) He flips over the table.
(c) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
(d) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
7. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
(b) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
(c) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(d) He 'just doesn't bother.'
8. What game does Weller deal while he and Fonsia converse at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A hand of solitaire.
(b) A hand of gin.
(c) A hand of poker.
(d) A hand rummy.
9. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(b) Mocking him.
(c) Manipulating him.
(d) Trying to beat him at gin.
10. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
(a) She begins to curse.
(b) Her statements become condescending.
(c) Her grammar becomes worse.
(d) She increasingly repeats herself.
11. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because Fonsia knocked again.
(b) Because Fonsia stands up for herself.
(c) Because he can't remember the score and it doesn't matter anyhow.
(d) Because he has yet to win a single hand.
12. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(b) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
(c) He sold the Ash St. house.
(d) Decided to search for his father.
13. Who was Ty Cobb?
(a) A football player.
(b) A basketball player.
(c) A musician.
(d) A baseball player.
14. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
(a) When Fonsia makes true statements.
(b) At the end of statements made by Weller.
(c) At the beginning and end.
(d) At times of dramatic physical action.
15. Why does Fonsia think Weller wants to meet her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She thinks Weller is lonely.
(b) She thinks Weller is simply sad.
(c) She thinks Weller is possibly crazy.
(d) She thinks Weller is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
2. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
3. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
5. Why does Fonsia discard a Jack in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)