|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
(a) His stories.
(b) His intellect.
(c) His sarcasm.
(d) His sense of humor.
2. What force does Weller decide is at hand in Fonsia's winning streak in Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) Mind reading.
(c) Divine Intervention.
3. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
(a) "Gin. Goodnight!"
(b) "Gin! Gin! Gin!"
(c) "Gin you Jerk!"
(d) "Gin, Goddamnit. Gin!"
4. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
(a) A queen.
(b) An ace.
(c) A king.
(d) A jack.
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(a) Fed up.
(b) Not feeling hospitable.
(c) Being fair.
6. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Jack of Hearts.
(b) The Jack of Diamonds.
(c) The Jack of Clubs.
(d) The Ace of Spades.
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, what threat brings Fonsia to the card table?
(a) The threat of rain.
(b) The threat of interacting with the other 'glassy eyed' tenants.
(c) The threat of gospel hour.
(d) The threat of another magicial performace.
8. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would forget the office number.
(b) That she would forget her key.
(c) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(d) That she would misspell a word.
9. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(b) He sold the Ash St. house.
(c) Decided to search for his father.
(d) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
10. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
11. How is the way in which Fonsia plays her discard in the final hand of the play vindictive?
(a) By calling Weller a name as she calls gin.
(b) By taking Weller's discard and closing the game with it.
(c) By pretending to discard the card Weller needs, then calling gin at the last second.
(d) By laughing hysterically after drawing the card she needed to win.
12. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
(a) 1 day after Act 1.
(b) 1 week after Act 1.
(c) 4 hours after Act 1.
(d) 1 month after Act 1.
13. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
(a) Been unhappy.
(b) Worn the pants.
(d) Had to outsmart them.
14. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
(a) At times of dramatic physical action.
(b) At the beginning and end.
(c) When Fonsia makes true statements.
(d) At the end of statements made by Weller.
15. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Manipulating him.
(b) Mocking him.
(c) Trying to beat him at gin.
(d) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Weller throw the score card to the ground in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. According to Fonsia, what scared her about her last encounter with Weller?
3. What day does the final scene of the play take place on?
4. What ruse does Weller use to get Fonsia to come out and see him on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)