|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) Made him out to be crazy.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(d) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
(a) Fonsia's first response is to leave.
(b) Fonsia's first response is to pretend to be ill.
(c) Fonsia's first response is to proclaim that she will not play.
(d) Fonsia's first response is to claim she will win.
3. What is Weller's criticism of the Unitarian group in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) They want to steal everything.
(b) They want to criticize everything.
(c) They want to psychoanalyze everything.
(d) They want to improve everything.
4. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would forget her key.
(b) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(c) That she would misspell a word.
(d) That she would forget the office number.
5. What kind of work did Fonsia do before retiring?
(d) Apartment manager.
6. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
(b) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
(c) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
(d) Weller gave his business to his sons.
7. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because Weller would only pester her until she played.
(b) Because the Sunshine Ladies were running late.
(c) Because it might shut Weller up.
(d) Because she didn't want to interact with the Extended Family.
8. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
9. Why does Fonsia discard a Jack in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because Weller citicized her for holding too many face cards earlier.
(b) Because she doesn't need it.
(c) Because she hoped to close the game with the next hand.
(d) So Weller can win a hand.
10. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(d) Lung cancer.
11. What promise does Weller quickly break in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Not to yell.
(b) To not use the Lord's name in vain.
(c) Not to lose his temper.
(d) To play fair.
12. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
(a) When Fonsia makes true statements.
(b) At the end of statements made by Weller.
(c) At times of dramatic physical action.
(d) At the beginning and end.
13. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
(a) Himself, by giving them the last of his savings.
(b) Weller was placed in this home by the Welfare Department.
(c) He had to beg them to take him now that he was out of money.
(d) His sons placed him in "this cheap home."
14. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) That she did turn him in to the nurses.
(b) That she is also on welfare.
(c) That she did cheat at gin.
(d) That her son does hate her.
15. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
(a) Call a nurse.
(b) Throw the cards away.
(c) Call her son.
(d) Call the police.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, how does Fonsia drive home the example of Weller always having to be 'the victim of bad luck,' as opposed to accepting his mistakes?
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
3. What are Weller's final words of the play?
4. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
5. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)