|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Weller referring to when he says "a warehouse for the intellectually and emotionally dead."
(a) The State Legislature.
(b) The Home.
(c) The Hospice Ward.
(d) The Senate.
2. According to Fonsia, what scared her about her last encounter with Weller?
(a) Weller's red face.
(b) Weller's throwing of the card table.
(c) Weller's yelling.
(d) Weller's language.
3. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
(a) Of not putting the discard card face down when calling gin.
(b) For slapping her cards when calling gin.
(c) Of not putting the discard card face up when calling gin.
(d) Of not having her card total ready when calling gin.
4. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) On the draw.
(b) By getting gin on Weller's discard.
(c) By knocking.
(d) By Weller knocking.
5. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
(a) She begins to curse.
(b) She increasingly repeats herself.
(c) Her statements become condescending.
(d) Her grammar becomes worse.
6. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
(a) "Gin you Jerk!"
(b) "Gin! Gin! Gin!"
(c) "Gin, Goddamnit. Gin!"
(d) "Gin. Goodnight!"
7. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He flips over the table.
(b) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
(c) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
(d) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
8. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) A gospel group.
(b) The nurses who hand out medication.
(c) A group that visits the Home.
(d) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
9. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) All answers are correct.
(b) Made him out to be crazy.
(c) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(d) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
10. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
(a) By putting everything he owned on the street.
(b) By packing up her son and leaving town.
(c) By moving out of the house.
(d) By suing him for everything he had.
11. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
(a) A jack.
(b) A king.
(c) A queen.
(d) An ace.
12. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(b) He 'just doesn't bother.'
(c) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
(d) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
13. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
(a) 4 hours after Act 1.
(b) 1 month after Act 1.
(c) 1 day after Act 1.
(d) 1 week after Act 1.
14. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Of turning him in to the nurses and branding him a trouble-maker.
(b) Of convincing the staff to send a psychologist out to see Weller.
(c) Of convincing the staff to change Weller's medications.
(d) Of cheating.
15. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) To 'the god of Gin.'.
(b) To his 'angel.'.
(c) To his 'little man.'.
(d) To his 'shadow.'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
2. What happened to Weller's business?
3. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
5. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)