|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, how does Fonsia drive home the example of Weller always having to be 'the victim of bad luck,' as opposed to accepting his mistakes?
(a) By suggesting his wife wouldn't have left him had he been a stronger man.
(b) By suggesting he was always bound for welfare.
(c) By suggesting his temper has lost him more than a gin partner.
(d) By suggesting his business partners were probably better business men.
2. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
(a) The spring weather.
(b) His temper.
(c) The welfare beurocracy.
(d) The boredom.
3. What action does Weller take to try to mollify Fonsia as she is crying on the porch?
(a) He puts his sweater around Fonsia.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He retreives the pillow for her.
(d) He holds her hand.
4. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would forget the office number.
(b) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(c) That she would forget her key.
(d) That she would misspell a word.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(b) He discards the card she needs for gin.
(c) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
(d) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
6. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
(a) 1/2 year.
(b) 2.5 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 3 years.
7. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Of convincing the staff to change Weller's medications.
(b) Of turning him in to the nurses and branding him a trouble-maker.
(c) Of convincing the staff to send a psychologist out to see Weller.
(d) Of cheating.
8. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
(b) Weller gave his business to his sons.
(c) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
(d) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
9. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
(a) One's funeral arrangements.
(b) Canned vegetables.
(c) The gospel hour.
10. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
(a) At the end of statements made by Weller.
(b) At times of dramatic physical action.
(c) At the beginning and end.
(d) When Fonsia makes true statements.
11. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Jack of Clubs.
(b) The Jack of Diamonds.
(c) The Ace of Spades.
(d) The Jack of Hearts.
12. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
13. How does Fonsia win the last hand of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By Weller knocking.
(b) By knocking.
(c) By getting gin on Weller's discard.
(d) On the draw.
14. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
(a) Only her son William.
(b) Only her funeral arrangements.
(c) Only food.
(d) Her plans for going to the Presbyterian Home.
15. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A televangelist plays in the background.
(b) The Extended Family visits.
(c) A magic performance takes place.
(d) A choir strikes up.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
2. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, who does Weller claim gave Fonsia the card she needed?
4. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
5. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)