|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Ace of Spades.
(b) The Jack of Diamonds.
(c) The Jack of Clubs.
(d) The Jack of Hearts.
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what does Fonsia threaten to do to Weller?
(a) Call the police.
(b) Call her son.
(c) Call a nurse.
(d) Throw the cards away.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) He discards the card she needs for gin.
(b) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(c) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
(d) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
4. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(b) Made him out to be crazy.
(c) All answers are correct.
(d) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, if Weller could see himself, he would what?
(a) He "would go send himself to bed."
(b) He "would quit playing cards altogether."
(c) He "wouldn't act this way."
(d) He "would call a doctor."
6. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would forget her key.
(b) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(c) That she would misspell a word.
(d) That she would forget the office number.
7. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He became ill.
(b) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
(c) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
8. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
(b) The nurses who hand out medication.
(c) A group that visits the Home.
(d) A gospel group.
9. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) He sold the Ash St. house.
(b) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(c) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
(d) Decided to search for his father.
10. How is the way in which Fonsia plays her discard in the final hand of the play vindictive?
(a) By taking Weller's discard and closing the game with it.
(b) By calling Weller a name as she calls gin.
(c) By pretending to discard the card Weller needs, then calling gin at the last second.
(d) By laughing hysterically after drawing the card she needed to win.
11. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
(a) His stories.
(b) His sarcasm.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His intellect.
12. According to Weller, how many of his teammates attended Cobb's funeral?
13. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what happens when you get too far away from playing gin?
14. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(a) Not feeling hospitable.
(b) Fed up.
(c) Being fair.
15. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Mocking him.
(b) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(c) Manipulating him.
(d) Trying to beat him at gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
2. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
3. What action does Weller take to try to mollify Fonsia as she is crying on the porch?
4. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
5. What ruse does Weller use to get Fonsia to come out and see him on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)