|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What signs does Weller show of possibly having a heart attack?
(a) He collapses.
(b) His face turns red and he passes out.
(c) He stumbles and holds his right arm.
(d) He clutches his chest.
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(a) A curse.
(c) An insult.
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
(a) Throws her cards at him.
(b) Storms off.
(c) Curses at him.
(d) Slaps him.
4. What exclamation by Fonsia does Act 2, Scene 1 end with?
(a) "Gin. Goodnight!"
(b) "Gin, Goddamnit. Gin!"
(c) "Gin you Jerk!"
(d) "Gin! Gin! Gin!"
5. What kept Fonsia's husband from using violence against her?
(a) He was "too drunk to stand, as it was."
(b) He was "too much of a coward."
(c) He was happy to have the relationship end.
(d) He was already wanted by the police.
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, who does Weller claim gave Fonsia the card she needed?
(b) His little man.
(c) The Devil.
7. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
(b) Canned vegetables.
(c) One's funeral arrangements.
(d) The gospel hour.
8. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A choir strikes up.
(b) A magic performance takes place.
(c) A televangelist plays in the background.
(d) The Extended Family visits.
9. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
(b) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
(c) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
(d) Weller gave his business to his sons.
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
(a) Having a sarcastic streak and a horrible temper.
(b) Having a bad temper and a chauvinist streak.
(c) Having a horrible temper and being a racist.
(d) Having a sarcastic streak and a chauvinist attitude.
11. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
(b) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
(c) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(d) He 'just doesn't bother.'
12. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
(b) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
(c) He flips over the table.
(d) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
13. How was Weller possibly a dishonest business man?
(a) By cutting his partners out of the profits.
(b) By selling his company out from underneath his partners.
(c) By exaggerating his travel expenses.
(d) By taking more for his work than it was worth.
14. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
(a) Being fair.
(b) Not feeling hospitable.
(c) Fed up.
15. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
(a) Her treatment of the Ash St. House.
(b) Her plyaing of the Jack of Hearts.
(c) Mrs. Gibran.
(d) Her ex-husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
3. Why does Fonsia think Weller wants to meet her on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. How did Weller find himself in this Home?
5. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)