|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) By beating the furniture with his cane.
(b) By doing some card tricks..
(c) By dancing in the rain.
(d) By going into a tirade about the poor, drunken, condition of the Home.
2. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
(c) He became ill.
(d) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
3. How does Weller use Fonsia's son against her in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) To question her honesty.
(b) To underscore her wealth.
(c) To underscore her loneliness.
(d) To underscore her abrasiveness.
4. After making the mistake of getting sick, what mistake did Weller make next?
(a) Of getting well.
(b) Of trying to "fix things."
(c) The next mistake Weller made was the mistake of falling in love.
(d) Of going back to work.
5. In Act 2, Scene 2, how does Fonsia drive home the example of Weller always having to be 'the victim of bad luck,' as opposed to accepting his mistakes?
(a) By suggesting his temper has lost him more than a gin partner.
(b) By suggesting he was always bound for welfare.
(c) By suggesting his wife wouldn't have left him had he been a stronger man.
(d) By suggesting his business partners were probably better business men.
6. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(a) A curse.
(b) An insult.
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Weller referring to when he says "a warehouse for the intellectually and emotionally dead."
(a) The Senate.
(b) The Hospice Ward.
(c) The Home.
(d) The State Legislature.
8. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) To his 'little man.'.
(b) To 'the god of Gin.'.
(c) To his 'shadow.'.
(d) To his 'angel.'.
9. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
(b) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
(c) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
(d) Weller gave his business to his sons.
10. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
(a) 1 day after Act 1.
(b) 1 month after Act 1.
(c) 1 week after Act 1.
(d) 4 hours after Act 1.
11. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 1/2 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 2.5 years.
12. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
(a) The boredom.
(b) The spring weather.
(c) His temper.
(d) The welfare beurocracy.
13. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's first reaction to Weller getting the cards?
(a) Fonsia's first response is to pretend to be ill.
(b) Fonsia's first response is to proclaim that she will not play.
(c) Fonsia's first response is to leave.
(d) Fonsia's first response is to claim she will win.
14. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 2, what is it that she likes about Weller?
(a) His intellect.
(b) His sarcasm.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His stories.
15. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
(a) That Fonsia lied about having never played cards before.
(b) Where Fonsia's son lives.
(c) That Fonsia lied about having a sister in Ottawa.
(d) That Fonsia lied about being divorced.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence does Weller provide in Act 2, Scene 2 to reflect Fonsia's vindictiveness?
2. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
3. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
4. What is the Extended Family?
5. What game does Weller deal while he and Fonsia converse at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)