|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
(a) Took over the Ash St. house, forcing Fonsia into retirement.
(b) Cashed out Fonsia's retirement accounts.
(c) Decided to search for his father.
(d) He sold the Ash St. house.
2. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A choir strikes up.
(b) A magic performance takes place.
(c) A televangelist plays in the background.
(d) The Extended Family visits.
3. Act 2, Scene 1 transpires how long after the end of Act 1?
(a) 1 month after Act 1.
(b) 4 hours after Act 1.
(c) 1 week after Act 1.
(d) 1 day after Act 1.
4. Who is Weller's accomplice in his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) Mrs. Leala.
(b) Mrs. Mayes.
(c) Mrs. Gibran.
(d) The Sunshine Ladies.
5. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
6. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because the Sunshine Ladies were running late.
(b) Because Weller would only pester her until she played.
(c) Because she didn't want to interact with the Extended Family.
(d) Because it might shut Weller up.
7. What is the Extended Family?
(a) A church group that delivers canned food to the Home.
(b) A group that visited the Home looking for substitute Grandparents.
(c) A group that visited the Home to steal goods, but under the auspices of being an entertainment.
(d) It is what the staff refers to themselves as.
8. How does Weller plan to trick Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By switching the card he plans to discard at the last second.
(b) By knocking.
(c) By discarding a face card.
(d) By discarding a card that he needs.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia teasingly says what to Weller?
(a) "You are just jealous."
(b) "I just play like an expert."
(c) "You can't win."
(d) "I am an expert!"
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, who does Weller claim gave Fonsia the card she needed?
(b) His little man.
(c) The Devil.
11. What ruse does Weller use to get Fonsia to come out and see him on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) He has another resident of the home tell Fonsia that her sister has come to visit her.
(b) He has another resident of the home tell Fonsia that her son has come to visit her.
(c) He has another resident of the home tell Fonsia that the Sunshine Ladies have come to visit her.
(d) He has another resident of the home tell Fonsia that her ex-husband has come to visit her.
12. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) By going into a tirade about the poor, drunken, condition of the Home.
(b) By dancing in the rain.
(c) By beating the furniture with his cane.
(d) By doing some card tricks..
13. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
(b) He became ill.
(c) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
14. Why does Weller seek out Fonsia at the beginning of Act 2?
(a) To check on her condition.
(b) To tell her his watch was found by the police.
(c) To tell her that her family is there to see her.
(d) To apologize to her.
15. What is Weller's reaction of gin being called in the final hand in the play?
(a) He strikes out at Fonsia's chair with his cane.
(b) He dances like a mad man in the rain.
(c) He throws the deck of cards at Fonsia.
(d) He flips over the table.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Fonsia discard a Jack in Act 2, Scene 1?
2. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Weller referring to when he says "a warehouse for the intellectually and emotionally dead."
3. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
4. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
5. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)