|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
2. How does Weller create some levity in the middle of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) By doing some card tricks..
(b) By beating the furniture with his cane.
(c) By going into a tirade about the poor, drunken, condition of the Home.
(d) By dancing in the rain.
3. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
(a) By suing him for everything he had.
(b) By packing up her son and leaving town.
(c) By moving out of the house.
(d) By putting everything he owned on the street.
4. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
(b) A group that visits the Home.
(c) A gospel group.
(d) The nurses who hand out medication.
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, who does Weller claim gave Fonsia the card she needed?
(b) The Devil.
(c) His little man.
6. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
(a) Only her son William.
(b) Only her funeral arrangements.
(c) Only food.
(d) Her plans for going to the Presbyterian Home.
7. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Manipulating him.
(b) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(c) Mocking him.
(d) Trying to beat him at gin.
8. What card does Weller give Fonsia in the final hand, that he claims to know she needs?
(a) A jack.
(b) A queen.
(c) A king.
(d) An ace.
9. When is lightning used in the final scene of the play?
(a) At the end of statements made by Weller.
(b) At times of dramatic physical action.
(c) At the beginning and end.
(d) When Fonsia makes true statements.
10. What is the Extended Family?
(a) A group that visited the Home looking for substitute Grandparents.
(b) A group that visited the Home to steal goods, but under the auspices of being an entertainment.
(c) A church group that delivers canned food to the Home.
(d) It is what the staff refers to themselves as.
11. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(b) A curse.
(c) An insult.
12. What entertainment takes place over the last hand of gin?
(a) A magic performance takes place.
(b) A televangelist plays in the background.
(c) The Extended Family visits.
(d) A choir strikes up.
13. As Fonsia loses her temper in Act 2, Scene 2, what changes take place in her language?
(a) Her statements become condescending.
(b) Her grammar becomes worse.
(c) She begins to curse.
(d) She increasingly repeats herself.
14. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(b) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
(c) He 'just doesn't bother.'
(d) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
15. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
(a) The welfare beurocracy.
(b) The spring weather.
(c) His temper.
(d) The boredom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
2. What does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia teasingly says what to Weller?
4. How is the way in which Fonsia plays her discard in the final hand of the play vindictive?
5. According to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1, she isn't being tough, but is instead what?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)