|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Weller in Act 2, Scene 1, what is the hottest topic of discussion at the Home?
(b) One's funeral arrangements.
(c) The gospel hour.
(d) Canned vegetables.
2. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Mocking him.
(b) Trying to beat him at gin.
(c) Manipulating him.
(d) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
3. According to Fonsia, why does she acquiesce and play a game of gin in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Because it might shut Weller up.
(b) Because the Sunshine Ladies were running late.
(c) Because she didn't want to interact with the Extended Family.
(d) Because Weller would only pester her until she played.
4. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(b) An insult.
(d) A curse.
5. What is the Extended Family?
(a) A group that visited the Home looking for substitute Grandparents.
(b) A group that visited the Home to steal goods, but under the auspices of being an entertainment.
(c) A church group that delivers canned food to the Home.
(d) It is what the staff refers to themselves as.
6. How was Weller possibly a dishonest business man?
(a) By exaggerating his travel expenses.
(b) By taking more for his work than it was worth.
(c) By selling his company out from underneath his partners.
(d) By cutting his partners out of the profits.
7. What kind of work did Fonsia do before retiring?
(b) Apartment manager.
8. What day does the final scene of the play take place on?
(b) The day after.
(c) Visitor's day.
(d) 1 week later.
9. When it comes to men, Fonsia admits that she's been what?
(a) Worn the pants.
(b) Had to outsmart them.
(c) Been unhappy.
10. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
(a) That Fonsia lied about having a sister in Ottawa.
(b) That Fonsia lied about having never played cards before.
(c) Where Fonsia's son lives.
(d) That Fonsia lied about being divorced.
11. What happened to Weller's business?
(a) Weller was bought out of his business by his partners.
(b) Weller gave his business to his sons.
(c) Weller was thrown out of his business by his partners.
(d) Weller's business was shut down by the state.
12. In Act 2, Scene 1, what is Fonsia's response to the name Weller calls her?
(a) Slaps him.
(b) Storms off.
(c) Curses at him.
(d) Throws her cards at him.
13. What card does Weller claim Fonsia fed him in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) The Jack of Diamonds.
(b) The Jack of Clubs.
(c) The Ace of Spades.
(d) The Jack of Hearts.
14. What illness put Weller in the convalescent home?
(a) A stroke.
(b) A heart attack.
(d) Lung cancer.
15. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
(a) Asks if this is why his first wife left him.
(b) She would never have given him the chance.
(c) She would have had him thrown in jail.
(d) He wouldn't dare.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
2. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
3. What did Fonsia's son do to create a fissure in their relationship?
4. What ruse does Weller use to get Fonsia to come out and see him on the porch in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is Weller's criticism of the Unitarian group in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)