|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What compliment does Weller make to Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) For having a good mind.
(b) For her card playing.
(c) For her good manners.
(d) For her style.
2. How long was Weller in the Bel Air convalescent home?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 1/2 year.
(d) 2.5 years.
3. What word did Fonsia have to look up for twenty-five years?
4. How does Weller plan to trick Fonsia in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) By knocking.
(b) By discarding a card that he needs.
(c) By switching the card he plans to discard at the last second.
(d) By discarding a face card.
5. After making the mistake of getting sick, what mistake did Weller make next?
(a) Of trying to "fix things."
(b) The next mistake Weller made was the mistake of falling in love.
(c) Of getting well.
(d) Of going back to work.
6. In Act 2, Scene 2, what does Weller accuse Fonsia of doing by coming out to the porch when she knew it was a ruse?
(a) Trying to find more things to tattle on him for.
(b) Trying to beat him at gin.
(c) Mocking him.
(d) Manipulating him.
7. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
(a) He apologizes.
(b) He looses his temper.
(c) He denies it.
(d) He grovels.
8. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
(a) By packing up her son and leaving town.
(b) By suing him for everything he had.
(c) By putting everything he owned on the street.
(d) By moving out of the house.
9. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(a) An insult.
(b) A curse.
10. How does Fonsia explain her son's disinterest in visiting her?
(a) He 'just doesn't bother.'
(b) He 'is mad about the divorce.'
(c) He 'has son's of his own now.'
(d) He 'doesn't care for anyone but himself.'
11. What is Weller's criticism of the Unitarian group in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) They want to improve everything.
(b) They want to steal everything.
(c) They want to criticize everything.
(d) They want to psychoanalyze everything.
12. What is the Extended Family?
(a) A church group that delivers canned food to the Home.
(b) It is what the staff refers to themselves as.
(c) A group that visited the Home looking for substitute Grandparents.
(d) A group that visited the Home to steal goods, but under the auspices of being an entertainment.
13. What confession does Fonsia make to Weller towards the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) That she is also on welfare.
(b) That her son does hate her.
(c) That she did turn him in to the nurses.
(d) That she did cheat at gin.
14. Who are the Sunshine Ladies?
(a) The ladies who prepare meals at the Home.
(b) A gospel group.
(c) The nurses who hand out medication.
(d) A group that visits the Home.
15. What can be "rather awesome at times," according to Weller?
(a) The spring weather.
(b) His temper.
(c) The boredom.
(d) The welfare beurocracy.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 2, Fonsia counters that it is Weller who is vindictive. In what way?
2. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
4. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
5. What lie does Weller, through guess work, discover?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)