|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Weller claim to be talking to when talking to himself in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) To 'the god of Gin.'.
(b) To his 'shadow.'.
(c) To his 'little man.'.
(d) To his 'angel.'.
2. What worry did Fonsia have when she was working?
(a) That she would forget her key.
(b) That she would call someone by the wrong name.
(c) That she would forget the office number.
(d) That she would misspell a word.
3. What one subject does Mrs. Leala want to discuss?
(a) Only food.
(b) Only her son William.
(c) Only her funeral arrangements.
(d) Her plans for going to the Presbyterian Home.
4. How did Weller lose his savings?
(a) He spent his savings on trying to reconnect with his family.
(c) He spent his savings in trying to win back his business.
(d) He became ill.
5. Weller says he would have knocked Fonsia's teeth in had she done to him what she did to her spouse. What is her response?
(a) She would have had him thrown in jail.
(b) Asks if this is why his first wife left him.
(c) He wouldn't dare.
(d) She would never have given him the chance.
6. According to Weller, Fonsia makes harsh judgments. How does he feel that she's judged him?
(a) Made him out to be crazy.
(b) Made him out to be a potential murderer.
(c) Made him out to be a hopeless sinner.
(d) All answers are correct.
7. In Act 2, Scene 1, after Weller claims that Fonsia will no longer receive any help from him, what happens?
(a) Fonsia is of help to him by discarding a card he needs.
(b) He calls gin, but incorrectly.
(c) Fonsia knocks and wins the game.
(d) He discards the card she needs for gin.
8. In Act 2, Scene 1, according to Fonsia, every second breath of Weller's has to be what?
(c) A curse.
(d) An insult.
9. What time of day does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
10. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia teasingly says what to Weller?
(a) "You can't win."
(b) "I am an expert!"
(c) "You are just jealous."
(d) "I just play like an expert."
11. What parallel does Fonsia draw between Weller and her ex-husband in the final scene?
(a) He is also abusive.
(b) He is also "a filthy foul mouth."
(c) He is also "always the victim."
(d) He is also self-centered.
12. Who does Fonsia call for at the end of the play?
(a) For Mrs. Gibran.
(c) For her son.
(d) The Nurse.
13. According to Weller, how many of his teammates attended Cobb's funeral?
14. What inconsequential mistake in her card playing does Weller bring to Fonsia's attention?
(a) Of not putting the discard card face up when calling gin.
(b) Of not having her card total ready when calling gin.
(c) Of not putting the discard card face down when calling gin.
(d) For slapping her cards when calling gin.
15. What is the Extended Family?
(a) A church group that delivers canned food to the Home.
(b) A group that visited the Home looking for substitute Grandparents.
(c) It is what the staff refers to themselves as.
(d) A group that visited the Home to steal goods, but under the auspices of being an entertainment.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 1, Fonsia criticizes Weller for what?
2. How did Fonsia separate from her husband?
3. Who was Ty Cobb?
4. When Fonsia confronts Weller about his ruse in Act 2, Scene 2, what is Weller's response?
5. How was Weller possibly a dishonest business man?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)