|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 2, Scene 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Weller draws what insult from the following statement by Fonsia: "I can't help it"?
(a) That she is taking pity on him.
(b) That he doesn't know how to play gin.
(c) That he can't beat a woman.
(d) That she thinks he is destined to lose against her.
2. What does the family of Gladys Maye do to Weller that annoys him?
(a) Uses him as an example of a well-fed tenant.
(b) Uses him as an example of a content retiree.
(c) Uses him as an example of a possible suitor.
(d) Uses him an example of a possible 'play mate.'
3. In Act 2, Scene 1, what threat brings Fonsia to the card table?
(a) The threat of gospel hour.
(b) The threat of rain.
(c) The threat of interacting with the other 'glassy eyed' tenants.
(d) The threat of another magicial performace.
4. What is Weller's reaction to the televangelist?
(a) He prays.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He gives him the finger.
(d) He dismisses him with a wave.
5. What mistake does Fonsia make in the first hand of the first game that spoils the round?
(a) Fonsia lays her cards up face first.
(b) Fonsia tells Weller she has all four aces.
(c) Fonsia calls gin without discarding.
(d) Fonsia lays down a pair without having gin.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Fonsia, the staff never offers her 'her' medicine, but instead patronizingly does what?
2. What promise does Weller quickly break in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. According to Weller, what is the one sin in card playing?
4. What is Weller using as a makeshift ashtray at the opening of the play?
5. Who is the luckiest person Weller has ever seen play gin?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)