* Act 1, Scene 1 opens to reveal the dowdy sun porch of a home for the old aged.
* The weather is a nice spring day in Act 1, Scene 1, and the day is Sunday, visitors day.
* Weller, dressed in an unkempt manner, is playing solitaire, smoking a cigar, and muttering to himself when Fonsia enters in Act 1, Scene 1.
* Fonsia, also dressed poorly, is caught in conversation with Weller in Act 1, Scene 1, who asks how long she's been at the home.
* The two discuss what illnesses brought them to the home.
* The two then discuss the conditional surrender of finances the Presbyterian home requires and weather Fonsia plays cards.
* Fonsia admits to some knowledge of card play in Act 1, Scene 1, although it was done against her family's scruples.
* Weller invites Fonsia to a game of gin, which she accepts.
* Weller describes the scoring of the game and the way the...
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)