|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Gilgamesh from doing any further damage?
2. What does Enkidu do to the tall cedar gate, the hunters, and Harim?
3. What does Sabitu say about what the King attempts?
4. What is natural to man?
5. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the slaying of the Bull of Heaven?
2. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do? How does Gilgamesh respond?
3. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim respond?
4. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
5. How does Sabitu react after Gilgamesh tells his story?
6. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the short of the Bitter River?
7. What does Utnapishtim begin?
8. What happens because of Gilgamesh's impatience?
9. What does Ea give Utnapishtim? Why?
10. What does Gilgamesh do when he realizes his quest is hopeless? How does Utnapishtim respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilgamesh and the boatman are given directions for how to find a magic weed.
Part 1) Describe this magic weed. Why does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh about this weed?
Part 2) How does this weed affect Gilgamesh and the boatman? What is the purpose of them finding this precious plant?
Part 3) Does this weed help these two men in their travels? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The behavior of these gods is often cruel and unpredictable.
Part ) How is their behavior cruel and unpredictable? Are you surprised by this behavior? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior compare to the behavior of humans? How does the behavior of both the gods and humans compare to your opinion about typical god-like or human behavior?
Part 3) How does the behavior of the gods affect both other gods and humans?
Part 4) How does the behavior of these gods reflect the beliefs of the people during which this story was created?
Essay Topic 3
Enkidu agrees to do as the elders request, regarding Gilgamesh.
Part 1) What do they request? Why do they request this?
Part 2) Why does Enkidu agree to this request? What does this reveal about his character?
Part 3) How is this decision by Enkidu significant to the characters and the plot?
Part 4) What message does Enkidu's decision send to the reader?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)