|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabitu do after exiting her house?
2. Why has Gilgamesh come to seek his ancestor?
3. Where do the two decide to rest and sleep?
4. What does the god Shamash do to the sleeping Enkidu?
5. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Utnapishtim begin?
2. What does Ea give Utnapishtim? Why?
3. What does the King do when he sees Uruk?
4. What happens because of Gilgamesh's impatience?
5. What does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh that would allow him to return to Uruk honorably?
6. Of what does Sabitu remind Gilgamesh?
7. What does the boatman say to Gilgamesh, regarding his quest?
8. What takes place in Enkidu's dream?
9. How does Utnapishtim's wife describe Gilgamesh?
10. What does Sabitu explain to Gilgamesh that he will find on the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many similarities and differences between Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
Part 1) How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) To what do these similarities and differences lead?
Part 3) How does this relationship guide the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Gilgamesh and the boatman are given directions for how to find a magic weed.
Part 1) Describe this magic weed. Why does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh about this weed?
Part 2) How does this weed affect Gilgamesh and the boatman? What is the purpose of them finding this precious plant?
Part 3) Does this weed help these two men in their travels? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The story of Gilgamesh begins with an account of the geography of his world.
Part 1) Describe Gilgamesh's world. What is the purpose of this description? How can the reader relate to this world?
Part 2) How does this world enhance the story of Gilgamesh?
Part 3) How does this world influence what takes place in this story?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)