|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
2. When the water recedes on what is Utnapishtim's construction caught?
3. What does Gilgamesh spot?
4. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
5. Unable to revive his friend, what does Gilgamesh do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
2. Of what does Sabitu remind Gilgamesh?
3. Why is the crow sent out? Why does it not return?
4. What must Gilgamesh do to reach Utnapishtim?
5. How does Chapter Nine begin?
6. What happens when Gilgamesh reaches the Mountains of Mashu?
7. How does Utnapishtim respond to Gilgamesh's quest?
8. What does Gilgamesh do when he realizes his quest is hopeless? How does Utnapishtim respond?
9. What happens because of Gilgamesh's impatience?
10. What does the boatman say to Gilgamesh, regarding his quest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many similarities and differences between Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
Part 1) How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) To what do these similarities and differences lead?
Part 3) How does this relationship guide the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 begins the second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Describe this second episode. What is the purpose of this episode?
Part 2) How does this second episode reveal more of Gilgamesh's character?
Part 3) How is your opinion of Gilgamesh changed during this episode?
Essay Topic 3
At every point of his journey, Gilgamesh is warned of the dangers.
Part 1) How is he warned? Why is he warned?
Part 2) Gilgamesh is not only warned but urged to act a certain way. How is he urged to behave? Why?
Part 3) What is the purpose for this urging? How might it affect those hearing or reading the story in this society?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)