|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh assure Enkidu?
2. What is Gilgamesh's explanation?
3. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
4. Why does she feel this way about Gilgamesh?
5. Immediately following the slaying of the creature, what happens to Enkidu?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wine maiden, Sabitu, react to Gilgamesh's appearance?
2. What does Enkidu curse?
3. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do? How does Gilgamesh respond?
4. How does Sabitu react after Gilgamesh tells his story?
5. How does Utnapishtim's wife describe Gilgamesh?
6. What happens when Gilgamesh reaches the Mountains of Mashu?
7. How long does the storm last? What happens when the water begins to recede?
8. What does the boatman say to Gilgamesh, regarding his quest?
9. How does Gilgamesh respond to this dream? What happens to Enkidu?
10. What must Gilgamesh do to reach Utnapishtim?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The loss of the magic weed is significant.
Part 1) How does he lose it? What does his behavior regarding his care of the weed reveal about his character?
Part 2) What does this loss foreshadow?
Part 3) What does this loss mean to humanity, specifically this culture?
Essay Topic 2
There are many similarities and differences between Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
Part 1) How are they similar? How are they different?
Part 2) To what do these similarities and differences lead?
Part 3) How does this relationship guide the plot of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Immortality must be given by the gods.
Part 1) How do you know this? Why must it be given by the gods?
Part 2) What does this mean for Gilgamesh? Does he have a chance at immortality? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does this revelation mean for the people of the society from which this story comes?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)