|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the King respond?
2. What does Utnapishtim demand to know about the stranger?
3. Utnapishtim does as he has been told by Ea while the other citizens of Shuruppak do what?
4. What does Sabitu ask the King?
5. When Utnapishtim was mortal, what job did he have?,
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the boatman say to Gilgamesh, regarding his quest?
2. How does Sabitu react after Gilgamesh tells his story?
3. What does the King do when he sees Uruk?
4. Of what does Sabitu remind Gilgamesh?
5. How does Chapter Nine begin?
6. What option does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
7. What happens because of Gilgamesh's impatience?
8. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim respond?
9. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the short of the Bitter River?
10. What does Gilgamesh do when he realizes his quest is hopeless? How does Utnapishtim respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Enkidu agrees to do as the elders request, regarding Gilgamesh.
Part 1) What do they request? Why do they request this?
Part 2) Why does Enkidu agree to this request? What does this reveal about his character?
Part 3) How is this decision by Enkidu significant to the characters and the plot?
Part 4) What message does Enkidu's decision send to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Gilgamesh's immortality is not meant to be.
Part 1) Why is it not meant to be? At what point in the story did you realize he would not gain immortality?
Part 2) How does his mortality affect those around him? How does he feel about his own mortality? Why does he feel this way?
Part 3) After reading this story, what are your thoughts on immortality? Does immortality make life better? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh and the boatman are given directions for how to find a magic weed.
Part 1) Describe this magic weed. Why does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh about this weed?
Part 2) How does this weed affect Gilgamesh and the boatman? What is the purpose of them finding this precious plant?
Part 3) Does this weed help these two men in their travels? Explain.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)