|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim answer?
2. What does Enkidu then hear?
3. What is natural to man?
4. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens because of Gilgamesh's impatience?
2. Of what does Sabitu remind Gilgamesh?
3. Why is the crow sent out? Why does it not return?
4. How does Chapter Nine begin?
5. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do? How does Gilgamesh respond?
6. What does Utnapishtim begin?
7. What does the King do when he sees Uruk?
8. How does Gilgamesh respond to this dream? What happens to Enkidu?
9. How does the wine maiden, Sabitu, react to Gilgamesh's appearance?
10. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Immortality must be given by the gods.
Part 1) How do you know this? Why must it be given by the gods?
Part 2) What does this mean for Gilgamesh? Does he have a chance at immortality? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does this revelation mean for the people of the society from which this story comes?
Essay Topic 2
Two aspects of the twelfth chapter of Gilgamesh stands out.
Part 1) Describe this chapter. Why does it stand out?
Part 2) What is the purpose for this chapter?
Part 3) What message does this chapter send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh becomes impatient waiting for the boatman.
Part 1) Why does he become impatient? What does he do when he becomes impatient?
Part 2) What does this behavior reveal about his character?
Part 3) How does this behavior affect his quest? How might his quest have gone differently if he had behaved differently?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)