|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is natural to man?
2. What does Gilgamesh do for many days and nights?
3. What happens as Gilgamesh bathes?
4. What does Gilgamesh reason?
5. How long does Gilgamesh wait for Urshanabi to arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh that would allow him to return to Uruk honorably?
2. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do? How does Gilgamesh respond?
3. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim respond?
4. What does Sabitu explain to Gilgamesh that he will find on the shore?
5. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
6. How does the wine maiden, Sabitu, react to Gilgamesh's appearance?
7. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the short of the Bitter River?
8. How does Gilgamesh respond to this dream? What happens to Enkidu?
9. What does the King do when he sees Uruk?
10. What does Enkidu curse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 9 begins the second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Describe this second episode. What is the purpose of this episode?
Part 2) How does this second episode reveal more of Gilgamesh's character?
Part 3) How is your opinion of Gilgamesh changed during this episode?
Essay Topic 2
Gilgamesh does not take Shamash's advice when entering the underworld.
Part 1) What is Shamash's advice? Why does Gilgamesh not take his advice?
Part 2) What role does Shamash play in Gilgamesh's decision to not follow the rules of the underworld?
Part 3) How might the end of this story be different if Gilgamesh had followed the rules? What does this say about following rules and doing as one is supposed or expected to do?
Essay Topic 3
The story of Gilgamesh begins with an account of the geography of his world.
Part 1) Describe Gilgamesh's world. What is the purpose of this description? How can the reader relate to this world?
Part 2) How does this world enhance the story of Gilgamesh?
Part 3) How does this world influence what takes place in this story?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)