|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the dove that is released return?
2. What does Gilgamesh assure Enkidu?
3. What does Gilgamesh do when he notices this?
4. What does Utnapishtim agree to do?
5. Why does Gilgamesh immediately repent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after the slaying of the Bull of Heaven?
2. What does Sabitu explain to Gilgamesh that he will find on the shore?
3. What takes place in Enkidu's dream?
4. How does Utnapishtim's wife describe Gilgamesh?
5. What happens when Gilgamesh reaches the Mountains of Mashu?
6. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
7. What does Gilgamesh do when he realizes his quest is hopeless? How does Utnapishtim respond?
8. What does the King do when he sees Uruk?
9. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim respond?
10. What option does Urshanabi offer Gilgamesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The goddess Ishtar is initially enraged by the battle between Humbaba and the two men.
Part 1) Why is she enraged by the battle? How is her opinion changed?
Part 2) How does this change in her attitude reflect her personality?
Part 3) How does this change in her behavior affect the two men and the plot? How might the story have been different if her attitude regarding Gilgamesh had not changed?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 begins the second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Describe this second episode. What is the purpose of this episode?
Part 2) How does this second episode reveal more of Gilgamesh's character?
Part 3) How is your opinion of Gilgamesh changed during this episode?
Essay Topic 3
The gods create Enkidu to kill Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Why do they want Enkidu to kill Gilgamesh? Could Gilgamesh be controlled without killing him? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is Enkidu able to follow the directions of the elders? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is ironic about the fact that Enkidu was created to kill Gilgamesh?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)