|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the wife of Utnapishtim urge her husband to give Gilgamesh?
2. How does the wife of Utnapishtim describe Gilgamesh?
3. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
4. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do?
5. What does Gilgamesh assure Enkidu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Gilgamesh reaches the Mountains of Mashu?
2. What does the scorpion-man urge Gilgamesh to do? How does Gilgamesh respond?
3. After Gilgamesh tells his story, how does Utnapishtim respond?
4. How does Sabitu react after Gilgamesh tells his story?
5. How does Gilgamesh arrive at the short of the Bitter River?
6. What happens after the slaying of the Bull of Heaven?
7. How does Utnapishtim respond to Gilgamesh's quest?
8. Why is the crow sent out? Why does it not return?
9. How does Utnapishtim's wife describe Gilgamesh?
10. What does Sabitu explain to Gilgamesh that he will find on the shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The goddess Ishtar is initially enraged by the battle between Humbaba and the two men.
Part 1) Why is she enraged by the battle? How is her opinion changed?
Part 2) How does this change in her attitude reflect her personality?
Part 3) How does this change in her behavior affect the two men and the plot? How might the story have been different if her attitude regarding Gilgamesh had not changed?
Essay Topic 2
The behavior of these gods is often cruel and unpredictable.
Part ) How is their behavior cruel and unpredictable? Are you surprised by this behavior? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior compare to the behavior of humans? How does the behavior of both the gods and humans compare to your opinion about typical god-like or human behavior?
Part 3) How does the behavior of the gods affect both other gods and humans?
Part 4) How does the behavior of these gods reflect the beliefs of the people during which this story was created?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh and the boatman are given directions for how to find a magic weed.
Part 1) Describe this magic weed. Why does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh about this weed?
Part 2) How does this weed affect Gilgamesh and the boatman? What is the purpose of them finding this precious plant?
Part 3) Does this weed help these two men in their travels? Explain.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)