|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The people over which Gilgamesh rules as king possess what?
2. How does the goddess Ishtar feel about what has taken place?
3. As he nears the Temple of Ishtar, what happens beside him?
4. Does Anu agree to Ishtar's request?
5. What does Gilgamesh do to the beast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ishtar react to the battle between Humbaba and the two friends?
2. Of what does Gilgamesh remind Ishtar? How does she react?
3. What adventure does the King propose? What is Enkidu's reaction?
4. What do the hunter and his father find in Uruk?
5. How does Gilgamesh react to his mother's warning?
6. How are the heroes greeted by the citizens of Uruk?
7. What is the relationship between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
8. How does Ishtar threaten Gilgamesh?
9. Why does Ishtar gather together all the gods?
10. What happens when Enkidu begins to overcome Gilgamesh?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilgamesh becomes impatient waiting for the boatman.
Part 1) Why does he become impatient? What does he do when he becomes impatient?
Part 2) What does this behavior reveal about his character?
Part 3) How does this behavior affect his quest? How might his quest have gone differently if he had behaved differently?
Essay Topic 2
The loss of the magic weed is significant.
Part 1) How does he lose it? What does his behavior regarding his care of the weed reveal about his character?
Part 2) What does this loss foreshadow?
Part 3) What does this loss mean to humanity, specifically this culture?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh and the boatman are given directions for how to find a magic weed.
Part 1) Describe this magic weed. Why does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh about this weed?
Part 2) How does this weed affect Gilgamesh and the boatman? What is the purpose of them finding this precious plant?
Part 3) Does this weed help these two men in their travels? Explain.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)