|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the story of Gilgamesh begin?
2. Why do the elders suggest that a man be created?
3. Why is Enkidu enchanted by the young girl?
4. In three days, what have Gilgamesh and Enkidu done?
5. By whom is Gilgamesh welcomed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh react to his mother's warning?
2. What takes place when Enkidu comes upon the King?
3. How does Ishtar threaten Gilgamesh?
4. Why is there a wall surrounding Uruk?
5. What takes place in Gilgamesh's dream?
6. What is the relationship between Gilgamesh and Enkidu?
7. What happens when Enkidu begins to overcome Gilgamesh?
8. Why does Gilgamesh go to his mother for advice?
9. What eclipses Enkidu entrance into the city?
10. Describe Gilgamesh's world.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gilgamesh does not take Shamash's advice when entering the underworld.
Part 1) What is Shamash's advice? Why does Gilgamesh not take his advice?
Part 2) What role does Shamash play in Gilgamesh's decision to not follow the rules of the underworld?
Part 3) How might the end of this story be different if Gilgamesh had followed the rules? What does this say about following rules and doing as one is supposed or expected to do?
Essay Topic 2
The loss of the magic weed is significant.
Part 1) How does he lose it? What does his behavior regarding his care of the weed reveal about his character?
Part 2) What does this loss foreshadow?
Part 3) What does this loss mean to humanity, specifically this culture?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh's immortality is not meant to be.
Part 1) Why is it not meant to be? At what point in the story did you realize he would not gain immortality?
Part 2) How does his mortality affect those around him? How does he feel about his own mortality? Why does he feel this way?
Part 3) After reading this story, what are your thoughts on immortality? Does immortality make life better? Explain.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)