|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With the return of the two heroes, what happens in Uruk?
2. Finally, what do the city elders attempt to do?
3. In what do Gilgamesh and Enkidu take part?
4. What does Enkidu, along with three hundred armed warriors, do?
5. What does Enkidu refuse to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What adventure does the King propose? What is Enkidu's reaction?
2. How does Enlil react to Shamash's pity for mankind?
3. What happens when Harim leads Enkidu into Uruk?
4. What do the hunter and his father find in Uruk?
5. What eclipses Enkidu entrance into the city?
6. How do the citizens, Enkidu, and Gilgamesh fight the bull?
7. Describe Gilgamesh's world.
8. Of what does Gilgamesh remind Ishtar? How does she react?
9. How does this wall affect the people of Uruk?
10. How are the heroes greeted by the citizens of Uruk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The behavior of these gods is often cruel and unpredictable.
Part ) How is their behavior cruel and unpredictable? Are you surprised by this behavior? Why or why not?
Part 2) How does this behavior compare to the behavior of humans? How does the behavior of both the gods and humans compare to your opinion about typical god-like or human behavior?
Part 3) How does the behavior of the gods affect both other gods and humans?
Part 4) How does the behavior of these gods reflect the beliefs of the people during which this story was created?
Essay Topic 2
Chapter 9 begins the second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Describe this second episode. What is the purpose of this episode?
Part 2) How does this second episode reveal more of Gilgamesh's character?
Part 3) How is your opinion of Gilgamesh changed during this episode?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh is the main character in the story.
Part 1) Describe Gilgamesh. How do you know he is the main character?
Part 2) How do you know he is a catalyst?
Part 3) How does the creation of Enkidu help the reader gain more knowledge about Gilgamesh?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)