|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should Gilgamesh not do?
2. Who does Ishtar gather together?
3. What is the young priestess's worry?
4. What is done with the carcass of the beast?
5. How does the young girl feel when she sees the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ninsun say about this dream?
2. How does the King plan to rid Uruk of Enkidu?
3. How does Enlil react to Shamash's pity for mankind?
4. How does Enkidu react to the young priestess?
5. What happens when Harim leads Enkidu into Uruk?
6. Who are the main gods Gilgamesh's people possess?
7. Describe Gilgamesh's world.
8. How is Enkidu convinced to join the King on his adventure?
9. How are the heroes greeted by the citizens of Uruk?
10. How do the citizens, Enkidu, and Gilgamesh fight the bull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chapter 9 begins the second episode of the epic of Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Describe this second episode. What is the purpose of this episode?
Part 2) How does this second episode reveal more of Gilgamesh's character?
Part 3) How is your opinion of Gilgamesh changed during this episode?
Essay Topic 2
Immortality must be given by the gods.
Part 1) How do you know this? Why must it be given by the gods?
Part 2) What does this mean for Gilgamesh? Does he have a chance at immortality? Why or why not?
Part 3) What does this revelation mean for the people of the society from which this story comes?
Essay Topic 3
Gilgamesh becomes impatient waiting for the boatman.
Part 1) Why does he become impatient? What does he do when he becomes impatient?
Part 2) What does this behavior reveal about his character?
Part 3) How does this behavior affect his quest? How might his quest have gone differently if he had behaved differently?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)