Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enkidu do when Gilgamesh gathers to him an arsenal of finely wrought weaponry and lays it before his Enkidu's feet?
2. What is done with the carcass of the beast?
3. What does Ninsun do at the temple?
4. What is done with the entrails?
5. How does the young girl feel when she sees the man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabitu explain to Gilgamesh that he will find on the shore?
2. How do the citizens, Enkidu, and Gilgamesh fight the bull?
3. What happens when Enkidu begins to overcome Gilgamesh?
4. What does Ea give Utnapishtim? Why?
5. How does Gilgamesh react to his mother's warning?
6. Describe Gilgamesh's world.
7. What steps must Gilgamesh undertake before he can enter the underworld?
8. Of what does Gilgamesh remind Ishtar? How does she react?
9. What eclipses Enkidu entrance into the city?
10. How does the King plan to rid Uruk of Enkidu?
Essay Topic 1
The gods create Enkidu to kill Gilgamesh.
Part 1) Why do they want Enkidu to kill Gilgamesh? Could Gilgamesh be controlled without killing him? Why or why not?
Part 2) Is Enkidu able to follow the directions of the elders? Why or why not?
Part 3) What is ironic about the fact that Enkidu was created to kill Gilgamesh?
Essay Topic 2
Gilgamesh does not take Shamash's advice when entering the underworld.
Part 1) What is Shamash's advice? Why does Gilgamesh not take his advice?
Part 2) What role does Shamash play in Gilgamesh's decision to not follow the rules of the underworld?
Part 3) How might the end of this story be different if Gilgamesh had followed the rules? What does this say about following rules and doing as one is supposed or expected to do?
Essay Topic 3
Two aspects of the twelfth chapter of Gilgamesh stands out.
Part 1) Describe this chapter. Why does it stand out?
Part 2) What is the purpose for this chapter?
Part 3) What message does this chapter send to the reader?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)