|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Utnapishtim doing at the beginning of this chapter?
(a) Fishing in the Bitter River.
(b) Lying in his hammock on the further shore of the Bitter River.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Chopping firewood.
2. What does Gilgamesh reason?
(a) Because Ishtar is unkind, she should be killed.
(b) Because they committed all their acts together, they cannot die separately.
(c) Because the gods like him, he should become immortal.
(d) Because Enkidu is not the King, he should be the only one banished.
3. Does Utnapishtim agree to aid Gilgamesh in his impossible mission?
(a) Not necessarily.
(b) At first.
4. Looking up at the towering peaks, what does Gilgamesh wonder?
(a) If he has truly reached the mountains, whose peaks touch the heavens, and whose foundations reach into the bowels of the earth.
(b) How he will make it to the top.
(c) If the gods live on the tops of the peaks.
(d) Where Enkidu.
5. At first, how does the wine maiden Sabitu feel about Gilgamesh?
(a) She is excited.
(b) She is surprised.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is frightened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh beg Enkidu to do?
2. Who blesses Utnapishtim and his wife, making them immortal?
3. Can one become immortal by feats of daring alone?
4. What is the difficulty in getting the plant?
5. Of what does Sabitu remind the King?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gilgamesh respond to this dream? What happens to Enkidu?
2. What does the boatman say to Gilgamesh, regarding his quest?
3. How does Utnapishtim's wife describe Gilgamesh?
4. How does the wine maiden, Sabitu, react to Gilgamesh's appearance?
5. What does Utnapishtim tell Gilgamesh that would allow him to return to Uruk honorably?
6. How does Chapter Nine begin?
7. How does Utnapishtim respond to Gilgamesh's quest?
8. What happens after the slaying of the Bull of Heaven?
9. How does Sabitu react after Gilgamesh tells his story?
10. How does Gilgamesh lose the magic weed?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)