|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the goddess Ishtar feel about what has taken place?
(a) She is besider herself with anxiety.
(b) She is besider herself with happiness.
(c) She is beside herself with rage.
(d) She is beside herself with saddness.
2. What does the double-edged axe symbolize?
(a) A dangerous man.
(b) An intelligent man.
(c) A kind man.
(d) A nervous man.
3. How does Enlil feel about Shamash's pity for mankind?
(a) He is enraged by it.
(b) He is saddened by it.
(c) He is confused by it.
(d) He understands it.
4. Watching the battle between Humbaba and the two friends, what happens to the goddess Ishtar?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She becomes angry.
(c) She is moved from enraged to enamored.
(d) She is amused.
5. Of what does Gilgamesh remind her?
(a) He loves Enkidu.
(b) Every lover she has ever taken has been destroyed.
(c) He cannot enter the underworld.
(d) There are no more monsters to be killed.
6. Why is Enkidu enchanted by the young girl?
(a) She reminds him of a gazelle.
(b) She is the first human he has ever seen.
(c) She is the first woman he has ever seen.
(d) She is very beautiful.
7. For how long do the two companions grapple with the beast?
(a) Thirty minutes.
(c) A few moments.
(d) One hour.
8. What ensues between these two men?
(a) A tremendous confrontation.
(b) A conversation.
(c) A minor disagreement.
(d) A wrestling match.
9. The people over which Gilgamesh rules as king possess what?
(a) A vast pantheon of gods.
(b) Many possessions.
(c) Only one god.
(d) Magical powers.
10. By whom is Gilgamesh welcomed?
(a) His mother.
(b) His father.
11. How does the man respond to the girl?
(a) He leaves.
(b) He gives her a confused stare.
(c) He waves to her.
(d) He says hello in return.
12. What does Ninsun ask her son to do?
(a) Describe the dream.
(b) Look for Enkidu.
(c) Leave her alone.
13. What does Enkidu, along with three hundred armed warriors, do?
(a) He comes out to meet the beast.
(b) He begs for Gilgamesh's help in killing the beast.
(c) He chases the creature from the city.
(d) He protects the creature.
14. What should Gilgamesh not do?
(a) Walk the streets or approach the Temple of Ishtar.
(b) Be near Endiku.
(c) Speak to Ishtar.
(d) Leave his home.
15. Finally, what do the city elders attempt to do?
(a) Prepare the King for his departure.
(c) Find a new King.
(d) Ignore the two men.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the greatest danger to this city?
2. What does Gilgamesh do when he has a disturbing dream?
3. At the Temple of Ishtar, the citizens of Uruk will finally do what?
4. Who robs a young hunter's traps?
5. What do Gilgamesh and Enkidu do when Ishtar calls the gods to battle against them?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)