|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ishtar feel about the elders' plan?
(a) She disagrees with it.
(b) She agrees with it.
(c) She agrees with it at first.
(d) She is unsure about it.
2. What do scribes do?
(a) They write stories of the men's adventures on papyrus.
(b) They engrave the stories onto stone or press the letters into wet clay.
(c) They teach Enkidu how to write.
(d) They tell the stories of the King and Enkidu on the walls of a tomb.
3. What is the young priestess's worry?
(a) Enkidu will betray her.
(b) Enkidu will be treated like a King.
(c) Enkidu will be treated no better than a captive animal.
(d) Enkidu will become violent in town.
4. With the return of the two heroes, what happens in Uruk?
(a) A holiday is declared.
(b) The gods arrive.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) Work on the wall continues.
5. How does King Gilgamesh surprise his people, regarding this person?
(a) He does not offer to fight Enkidu himself.
(b) He plans to fight Aruru.
(c) He will marry Ishtar.
(d) He does not want to fight Anu alone.
6. By whom is Gilgamesh welcomed?
(a) His father.
(c) His mother.
7. What does the double-edged axe symbolize?
(a) A kind man.
(b) A dangerous man.
(c) A nervous man.
(d) An intelligent man.
8. Why do the hunter and his father head to the city?
(a) To complain about Gilgamesh's behavior.
(b) To report the matter to the King.
(c) To find someone to kill Enkidu.
(d) To find a god to help them.
9. What does Gilgamesh know about Harim?
(a) Her loyalties are with Ishtar.
(b) She is in love with Ekidu.
(c) She is Anu's servant.
(d) Her charms will prevail over Enkidu with far more facility than force.
10. What does Ninsun ask her son to do?
(a) Look for Enkidu.
(b) Describe the dream.
(d) Leave her alone.
11. What does Enkidu resolve to do?
(a) Accompany his friend and to make the needed sacrifice.
(b) Leave Gilgamesh and his new life.
(c) Stop Gilgamesh.
(d) Meet with the gods.
12. Upon their arrival, what do they find the citizens doing?
(a) Building the wall around the city.
(b) Complaining to the King about Ekidu's behavior.
(c) Already passing among themselves excited stories about Enkidu.
(d) Going about their usual business.
13. What does Ishtar do after watching the two victors for a time as they bathe and rest?
(a) She leaves them alone.
(b) She approaches Enkidu and threatens great punishment.
(c) She admires them.
(d) She approaches Gilgamesh and threatens great punishment.
14. For how long do the two companions grapple with the beast?
(a) A few moments.
(c) One hour.
(d) Thirty minutes.
15. The people over which Gilgamesh rules as king possess what?
(a) Many possessions.
(b) Only one god.
(c) Magical powers.
(d) A vast pantheon of gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. Watching the battle between Humbaba and the two friends, what happens to the goddess Ishtar?
2. What does Gilgamesh do to the beast?
3. What do Gilgamesh and Enkidu grow to be?
4. What is the greatest danger to this city?
5. As he nears the Temple of Ishtar, what happens beside him?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)