|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should Gilgamesh not do?
(a) Be near Endiku.
(b) Speak to Ishtar.
(c) Walk the streets or approach the Temple of Ishtar.
(d) Leave his home.
2. What is done with the entrails?
(a) They are burnt as an offering to the god Shamash.
(b) They are divided among the city's tradesmen.
(c) They are destroyed.
(d) They are eaten by Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
3. With the mothers robbed of their sons and the young girls of their lovers, what do the city elders decide to do?
(a) Complain to the other citizens.
(b) Complain to the gods.
(c) Complain to Anu.
(d) Complain to the King.
4. At the Temple of Ishtar, the citizens of Uruk will finally do what?
(a) Destroy the temple.
(b) Pray to Ishtar.
(c) Choose a bride for their king, Gilgamesh.
(d) Ask Ishtar for guidance.
5. How does Enlil feel about Shamash's pity for mankind?
(a) He is enraged by it.
(b) He is saddened by it.
(c) He is confused by it.
(d) He understands it.
6. What is a city of fine houses, magnificent temples, marketplaces, and groves of trees?
7. Over whom does Anu hesitate to take the side of the common people?
(b) The other gods.
(c) The King.
(d) The elders.
8. Watching the battle between Humbaba and the two friends, what happens to the goddess Ishtar?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is moved from enraged to enamored.
(d) She becomes angry.
9. Into what does Enkidu eventually force Gilgamesh?
(a) A closet.
(b) A room.
(c) A puddle of mud.
(d) A position of vulnerability.
10. What do Gilgamesh and Enkidu grow to be?
(a) More like friends than brothers.
(b) More like brothers than simple friends.
(d) Tolerable of one another.
11. According to Ishtar's wishes, what does the creature do?
(a) It blocks the sun from reaching the earth.
(b) It chases after Gilgamesh.
(c) It cuts a swathe of death and destruction through the streets of Uruk.
(d) It floods the river.
12. After Harim and Enkidu proceed to the temple, what does the young priestess do?
(a) She brings him into the temple.
(b) She leaves Enkidu at the gate.
(c) She sends him in alone.
(d) She speaks to Ishtar.
13. What does Enkidu refuse to do?
(a) Allow Gilgamesh to leave.
(b) Forgive Gilgamesh.
(c) Slay Gilgamesh, who is such a worthy opponent.
(d) Give Gilgamesh to the citizens.
14. What is done with the carcass of the beast?
(a) It is burned as an offering to the god Shamash.
(b) It is eaten by Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
(c) It is divided among the city's tradesmen.
(d) It is destroyed.
15. What does Ishtar do after watching the two victors for a time as they bathe and rest?
(a) She admires them.
(b) She leaves them alone.
(c) She approaches Gilgamesh and threatens great punishment.
(d) She approaches Enkidu and threatens great punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is this dream, according to Gilgamesh's mother?
2. Who robs a young hunter's traps?
3. What does Enkidu resolve to do?
4. What happens when Enkidu hurries to the Temple of Ishtar to look for Harim?
5. In his dream, what is Gilgamesh doing?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)