|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the King attempt to do to the savage?
(a) Kill him.
(b) Hug him.
(c) Push him aside.
(d) Ignore him.
2. What is the adventure the King proposes?
(a) Traveling to the underworld.
(b) A trip around the world.
(c) Dragon hunting.
(d) Killing the monster Humbaba.
3. Who robs a young hunter's traps?
4. In three days, what have Gilgamesh and Enkidu done?
(a) They ahve enjoyed days of festivities.
(b) They have completed the wall.
(c) They have returned to the forest.
(d) They have reached the massive cedar gate that leads the way to Humbaba.
5. How does Enlil feel about Shamash's pity for mankind?
(a) He is saddened by it.
(b) He is confused by it.
(c) He is enraged by it.
(d) He understands it.
6. Ninsun blesses her son and Enkidu and asks Enkidu to do what?
(a) Allow Gilgamesh his freedom.
(b) Kill Gilgamesh.
(c) Protect Gilgamesh.
(d) Protect himself.
7. How does the story of Gilgamesh begin?
(a) With the story of how Gilgamesh gained immortality.
(b) With an account of the geography of his world.
(c) With the story of Gilgamesh's birth.
(d) With an account of how Gilgamesh becomes King.
8. For how long do the two companions grapple with the beast?
(b) A few moments.
(c) One hour.
(d) Thirty minutes.
9. What does Ishtar threaten to do If her father does not create the creature she requests?
(a) She will open the doors of the underworld to let the dead rise and outnumber the living.
(b) She will leave and never return.
(c) She will kill him.
(d) She will marry Gilgamesh.
10. What do singers do?
(a) They make up songs about the adventure.
(b) They sing the King's favorite songs.
(c) They make up songs about Enkidu.
(d) They perform the King's favorite show.
11. What does Enkidu do when Gilgamesh gathers to him an arsenal of finely wrought weaponry and lays it before his Enkidu's feet?
(a) He laughs at him.
(b) He becomes angry.
(c) He still turns away.
(d) He agrees to take part in the adventure.
12. What does Gilgamesh do when he has a disturbing dream?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He interprets it himself.
(c) He goes immediately to his mother.
(d) He searches for Enkidu.
13. What is done with the carcass of the beast?
(a) It is destroyed.
(b) It is eaten by Gilgamesh and Enkidu.
(c) It is divided among the city's tradesmen.
(d) It is burned as an offering to the god Shamash.
14. What does Gilgamesh do to the beast?
(a) He breaks its wings.
(b) He forgives it.
(c) He throws a spear straight into its throat.
(d) He chops off its head.
15. Watching the battle between Humbaba and the two friends, what happens to the goddess Ishtar?
(a) She is saddened.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She becomes angry.
(d) She is moved from enraged to enamored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Enkidu refuse to do?
2. What do the elders request of Enkidu?
3. At the Temple of Ishtar, the citizens of Uruk will finally do what?
4. How do the citizens feel about Enkido's behavior?
5. How does King Gilgamesh surprise his people, regarding this person?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)