|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Gilgamesh and Enkidu do when Ishtar calls the gods to battle against them?
(a) They plead with her to leave them alone.
(b) They ignore her and set off for Uruk.
(c) They plan to meet with the other gods.
(d) They laugh at her.
2. What does Enkidu do when Gilgamesh gathers to him an arsenal of finely wrought weaponry and lays it before his Enkidu's feet?
(a) He agrees to take part in the adventure.
(b) He laughs at him.
(c) He still turns away.
(d) He becomes angry.
3. Of what is Anu god?
(a) The sea.
(b) The skies.
(d) The earth.
4. What does Enkidu, along with three hundred armed warriors, do?
(a) He chases the creature from the city.
(b) He comes out to meet the beast.
(c) He begs for Gilgamesh's help in killing the beast.
(d) He protects the creature.
5. Upon their arrival, what do they find the citizens doing?
(a) Going about their usual business.
(b) Already passing among themselves excited stories about Enkidu.
(c) Complaining to the King about Ekidu's behavior.
(d) Building the wall around the city.
6. After Harim and Enkidu proceed to the temple, what does the young priestess do?
(a) She leaves Enkidu at the gate.
(b) She brings him into the temple.
(c) She sends him in alone.
(d) She speaks to Ishtar.
7. What is the greatest danger to this city?
(a) The god Anu.
(b) The monster Humbaba.
8. What does Ishtar do after watching the two victors for a time as they bathe and rest?
(a) She approaches Enkidu and threatens great punishment.
(b) She approaches Gilgamesh and threatens great punishment.
(c) She leaves them alone.
(d) She admires them.
9. What happens when Enkidu hurries to the Temple of Ishtar to look for Harim?
(a) He finds her with another man.
(b) He finds her crying.
(c) He finds the courtyard empty and the gates locked.
(d) He finds her praying to Ishtar.
10. How does Ishtar feel about the elders' plan?
(a) She agrees with it at first.
(b) She agrees with it.
(c) She is unsure about it.
(d) She disagrees with it.
11. What does the girl do when she looks beyond the savagery of this man's appearance to the gentleness of his nature?
(a) She goes to Enkidu.
(b) She leaves the forest.
(c) She says hello.
(d) She smiles at him.
12. Finally, what do the city elders attempt to do?
(a) Ignore the two men.
(b) Prepare the King for his departure.
(d) Find a new King.
13. What do the elders request of Enkidu?
(a) He must leave the city.
(b) He must stop Gilgamesh.
(c) He must talk to the gods.
(d) He must accompany Gilgamesh.
14. The people over which Gilgamesh rules as king possess what?
(a) Magical powers.
(b) Many possessions.
(c) Only one god.
(d) A vast pantheon of gods.
15. Ninsun blesses her son and Enkidu and asks Enkidu to do what?
(a) Kill Gilgamesh.
(b) Protect Gilgamesh.
(c) Protect himself.
(d) Allow Gilgamesh his freedom.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slightest touch of what waters causes immediate death?
2. How does the goddess Ishtar feel about what has taken place?
3. What ensues between these two men?
4. Watching the battle between Humbaba and the two friends, what happens to the goddess Ishtar?
5. What does the King attempt to do to the savage?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)