|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gilgamesh do to the beast?
(a) He breaks its wings.
(b) He chops off its head.
(c) He throws a spear straight into its throat.
(d) He forgives it.
2. After Harim and Enkidu proceed to the temple, what does the young priestess do?
(a) She brings him into the temple.
(b) She speaks to Ishtar.
(c) She leaves Enkidu at the gate.
(d) She sends him in alone.
3. In three days, what have Gilgamesh and Enkidu done?
(a) They have completed the wall.
(b) They have reached the massive cedar gate that leads the way to Humbaba.
(c) They have returned to the forest.
(d) They ahve enjoyed days of festivities.
4. The people over which Gilgamesh rules as king possess what?
(a) Only one god.
(b) Many possessions.
(c) Magical powers.
(d) A vast pantheon of gods.
5. What is the greatest danger to this city?
(b) The god Anu.
(d) The monster Humbaba.
6. Does Anu agree to Ishtar's request?
(a) Not initially.
(b) Yes, at first.
7. When Harim enters the forest, by what is she charmed?
(b) The peace and quiet.
(c) The animals and leaves and broken sunlight of the forest.
(d) The smells of nature.
8. What does Ishtar threaten to do If her father does not create the creature she requests?
(a) She will open the doors of the underworld to let the dead rise and outnumber the living.
(b) She will kill him.
(c) She will leave and never return.
(d) She will marry Gilgamesh.
9. Finally, what do the city elders attempt to do?
(a) Ignore the two men.
(c) Find a new King.
(d) Prepare the King for his departure.
10. Does Enkidu agree to take part in this adventure?
(a) At first.
11. Who does Ishtar gather together?
(a) The citizens of Uruk.
(b) Enkidu and Gilgamesh.
(c) The royal family.
(d) All the gods from all parts of heaven.
12. With the return of the two heroes, what happens in Uruk?
(a) The gods arrive.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A holiday is declared.
(d) Work on the wall continues.
13. At the Temple of Ishtar, the citizens of Uruk will finally do what?
(a) Destroy the temple.
(b) Pray to Ishtar.
(c) Ask Ishtar for guidance.
(d) Choose a bride for their king, Gilgamesh.
14. Why do the elders suggest that a man be created?
(a) To be Gilgamesh's companion.
(b) To scare Gilgamesh.
(c) To be Gilgamesh's brother.
(d) To destroy Gilgamesh.
15. What does Enkidu, along with three hundred armed warriors, do?
(a) He chases the creature from the city.
(b) He begs for Gilgamesh's help in killing the beast.
(c) He comes out to meet the beast.
(d) He protects the creature.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom is Gilgamesh welcomed?
2. Why is Enkidu enchanted by the young girl?
3. What does Enkidu refuse to do?
4. What is the result of the King's request to continue building the walls higher and higher?
5. Into what does Enkidu eventually force Gilgamesh?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)