|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
2. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
3. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
4. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
5. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John's grandfather's personal belongings - specifically, the gun and the two shirts - can be considered potent symbols. Discuss what these items might be symbolic of, how other family members respond to them. Consider especially John's mother and father's response.
Essay Topic 2
Several important truths about Jack Boughton are revealed on pages 217 - 233. Identify these truths, and discuss how it is shown that Jack might be developing some sense of character.
Essay Topic 3
In the first section of the book, pages 1 - 8, discuss what expositional elements emerge. Identify and describe the thematic and narrative foundations found in this section and how these themes are carried through the rest of the novel. Select and describe what you think is the central theme of the book.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)