Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. What does Jack call John's wife?
4. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
5. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
Essay Topic 1
It is suggested that Jack Boughton might be a descendant of John's grandfather Ames. Identify and discuss any evidences that would support this hypothesis, keeping in mind any traits these two might share and how they are manifested in their two lives.
Essay Topic 2
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
Essay Topic 3
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)