|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
2. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
3. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
4. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
5. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 2
C. S. Lewis wrote a partial autobiography, "Surprised by Joy," in 1955. This same concept, of being surprised by feelings of joy, elation, or even peace, is a common thread in "Gilead." Describe evidences in John's life that show that many times he was "surprised by joy," and how this gives understanding into both his character and how he responds to various situations in the book.
Essay Topic 3
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)