|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
2. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
3. What was Lila's response when he asked her if she had family in the area?
4. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
5. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
2. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
3. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
4. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
5. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
6. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
7. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
8. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
9. How does John recall Boughton's parents?
10. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses dialogue as a narrative technique very rarely. Discuss the author's possible reasons for using dialogue in this fashion, and why it is employed in the parts of the story it is.
Essay Topic 3
In pages 202 - 215, we have John revealing parts of his character, especially in his relationship with his wife. Discuss those revelations as they deal with his wife. Look for any other summaries of the novel's themes as found in this section, and identify any points which point toward John going through a transition in his beliefs.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)