|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
2. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
3. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
4. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
5. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
2. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
3. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
4. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
5. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
6. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
7. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
8. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
9. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
10. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John and Jack have an extended conversation on pages 160 - 173. Discuss the nature of this conversation, the different points raised in the course of the conversation, while highlighting the presence of thematically important conflicts. Note, too, any significance to the fact that the conversation took place in the church - which seems to make conversations difficult.
Essay Topic 2
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)