|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
2. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
3. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
4. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
5. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
Essay Topic 1
"Gilead" has a structure like few other novels. Discuss why Robinson chose to not use chapters or other obvious breaks, how this adds or takes away from an understanding of the book, and how such a narrative propels the plot. Consider: Could "Gilead" have been improved by the inclusion of chapter breaks or other demarcations?
Essay Topic 2
In pages 202 - 215, we have John revealing parts of his character, especially in his relationship with his wife. Discuss those revelations as they deal with his wife. Look for any other summaries of the novel's themes as found in this section, and identify any points which point toward John going through a transition in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
It is suggested that Jack Boughton might be a descendant of John's grandfather Ames. Identify and discuss any evidences that would support this hypothesis, keeping in mind any traits these two might share and how they are manifested in their two lives.
This section contains 1,244 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)