|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
2. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
3. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
4. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
5. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Della's family situation.
2. How does John recall Boughton's parents?
3. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
4. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
5. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
6. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
7. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
8. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
9. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
10. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christianity and interpretations of the bible play an important role in the book's actions and themes. Discuss whether or not unfamiliarity with the bible is a handicap in understanding Gilead. Consider whether or not this is a "religious" book, and defend your answer. Discuss whether the book would appeal to or be a turn-off to someone with little or no interest in religion, and why.
Essay Topic 2
In the first section of the book, pages 1 - 8, discuss what expositional elements emerge. Identify and describe the thematic and narrative foundations found in this section and how these themes are carried through the rest of the novel. Select and describe what you think is the central theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
It is suggested that Jack Boughton might be a descendant of John's grandfather Ames. Identify and discuss any evidences that would support this hypothesis, keeping in mind any traits these two might share and how they are manifested in their two lives.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)