|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Jack brings John and his family a sack of gourds, what does Lila give Jack in return?
2. How old was John when Lila first came to church?
3. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
4. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
5. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Gilead" has a structure like few other novels. Discuss why Robinson chose to not use chapters or other obvious breaks, how this adds or takes away from an understanding of the book, and how such a narrative propels the plot. Consider: Could "Gilead" have been improved by the inclusion of chapter breaks or other demarcations?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, John's recollections influence his perceptions of the present. Describe three or four incidences of how events in John's past have colored his response to events happening in the present. And, conversely, events happening in the present cause him to reinterpret events of his past. Identify and discuss three or four of these accounts.
Essay Topic 3
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)