|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
2. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
3. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
4. What does Jack call John's son?
5. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
Essay Topic 1
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 2
John seems to harbor some resentment to the fact that he is Jack Boughton's namesake. Discuss why this is the case, how this resentment manifests itself, and how he deals with the responsibility of helping forge Jack's character.
Essay Topic 3
John is a pastor, as was his father and grandfather before him. The pastorate is obviously linked to the church, and more often than not, the church is identified with a building. Discuss how the church building is a metaphor of the limitations placed on the three generations of Ames men, and how the aging church building in the book is tied to the state we find John in.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)