Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. What does Jack call John's wife?
4. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
5. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
Essay Topic 1
The last section of the book, pagers 233 - 247, contains the book's climax. There are three stages to this climax. Identify and discuss each one of these stages.
Essay Topic 2
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Several important truths about Jack Boughton are revealed on pages 217 - 233. Identify these truths, and discuss how it is shown that Jack might be developing some sense of character.
This section contains 274 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)