|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
2. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
3. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
4. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
5. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, John's recollections influence his perceptions of the present. Describe three or four incidences of how events in John's past have colored his response to events happening in the present. And, conversely, events happening in the present cause him to reinterpret events of his past. Identify and discuss three or four of these accounts.
Essay Topic 2
Several important truths about Jack Boughton are revealed on pages 217 - 233. Identify these truths, and discuss how it is shown that Jack might be developing some sense of character.
Essay Topic 3
The last section of the book, pagers 233 - 247, contains the book's climax. There are three stages to this climax. Identify and discuss each one of these stages.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)