|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
2. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
3. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
4. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
5. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
2. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
3. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
4. How does John attempt to love Jack?
5. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
6. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
7. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
8. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
9. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
10. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John is a pastor, as was his father and grandfather before him. The pastorate is obviously linked to the church, and more often than not, the church is identified with a building. Discuss how the church building is a metaphor of the limitations placed on the three generations of Ames men, and how the aging church building in the book is tied to the state we find John in.
Essay Topic 2
The last section of the book, pagers 233 - 247, contains the book's climax. There are three stages to this climax. Identify and discuss each one of these stages.
Essay Topic 3
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)