Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. What does Jack call John's wife?
4. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
5. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
Essay Topic 1
John's wife and son remained unnamed for the majority of the book. His wife's name is heard only from the mouth of Jack Boughton late in the novel. Discuss why Robinson chose not to reveal these names, taking into consideration John's relationship with his immediate family and how he views the two in his own life.
Essay Topic 2
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
Essay Topic 3
Several important truths about Jack Boughton are revealed on pages 217 - 233. Identify these truths, and discuss how it is shown that Jack might be developing some sense of character.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)