|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
2. Who was John's first wife?
3. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
4. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
2. Describe John's brother, Edward.
3. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
4. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
5. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
6. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
7. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
8. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
9. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
10. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In pages 202 - 215, we have John revealing parts of his character, especially in his relationship with his wife. Discuss those revelations as they deal with his wife. Look for any other summaries of the novel's themes as found in this section, and identify any points which point toward John going through a transition in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
Essay Topic 3
It is suggested that Jack Boughton might be a descendant of John's grandfather Ames. Identify and discuss any evidences that would support this hypothesis, keeping in mind any traits these two might share and how they are manifested in their two lives.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)