|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
2. Who was John's first wife?
3. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
4. What does John tell his son he regrets?
5. When does John want the son to read his journals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
2. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
3. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
4. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
5. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
6. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
7. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
8. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
9. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
10. What are some of John's comments on water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 2
John's wife and son remained unnamed for the majority of the book. His wife's name is heard only from the mouth of Jack Boughton late in the novel. Discuss why Robinson chose not to reveal these names, taking into consideration John's relationship with his immediate family and how he views the two in his own life.
Essay Topic 3
John seems to harbor some resentment to the fact that he is Jack Boughton's namesake. Discuss why this is the case, how this resentment manifests itself, and how he deals with the responsibility of helping forge Jack's character.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)