|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
2. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
3. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
4. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
5. What does John's father bury and tell him not to dig up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
2. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
3. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
4. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
5. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
6. How does John describe being in the world at night?
7. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
8. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
9. Describe how John learned scripture.
10. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several important truths about Jack Boughton are revealed on pages 217 - 233. Identify these truths, and discuss how it is shown that Jack might be developing some sense of character.
Essay Topic 2
In pages 202 - 215, we have John revealing parts of his character, especially in his relationship with his wife. Discuss those revelations as they deal with his wife. Look for any other summaries of the novel's themes as found in this section, and identify any points which point toward John going through a transition in his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)