|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
2. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
3. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
4. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
2. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
3. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
4. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
5. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
6. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
7. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
8. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
9. What are some of John's comments on water?
10. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
John seems to harbor some resentment to the fact that he is Jack Boughton's namesake. Discuss why this is the case, how this resentment manifests itself, and how he deals with the responsibility of helping forge Jack's character.
Essay Topic 2
In the first section of the book, pages 1 - 8, discuss what expositional elements emerge. Identify and describe the thematic and narrative foundations found in this section and how these themes are carried through the rest of the novel. Select and describe what you think is the central theme of the book.
Essay Topic 3
John's wife and son remained unnamed for the majority of the book. His wife's name is heard only from the mouth of Jack Boughton late in the novel. Discuss why Robinson chose not to reveal these names, taking into consideration John's relationship with his immediate family and how he views the two in his own life.
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)