Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
2. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
3. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
4. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
2. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
3. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
4. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
5. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
6. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
7. How does John and other characters think that Boughton will respond to Jack's leaving?
8. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
9. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
10. Describe John's brother, Edward.
It is suggested that Jack Boughton might be a descendant of John's grandfather Ames. Identify and discuss any evidences that would support this hypothesis, keeping in mind any traits these two might share and how they are manifested in their two lives.
John and Jack have an extended conversation on pages 160 - 173. Discuss the nature of this conversation, the different points raised in the course of the conversation, while highlighting the presence of thematically important conflicts. Note, too, any significance to the fact that the conversation took place in the church - which seems to make conversations difficult.
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)