Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
2. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
3. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
4. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
2. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
3. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
4. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
5. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
6. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
7. How does John and other characters think that Boughton will respond to Jack's leaving?
8. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
9. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
10. Describe John's brother, Edward.
The last section of the book, pagers 233 - 247, contains the book's climax. There are three stages to this climax. Identify and discuss each one of these stages.
The author uses dialogue as a narrative technique very rarely. Discuss the author's possible reasons for using dialogue in this fashion, and why it is employed in the parts of the story it is.
It is conceivable that Jack Boughton and John's wife Lila have common traits. While John's descriptions of Lila are admittedly sketchy, discuss any parallels between these two characters, but also any significant differences.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)