|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
2. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
3. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
4. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
5. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
2. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
3. Describe how John learned scripture.
4. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
5. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
6. Describe John's brother, Edward.
7. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
8. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
9. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
10. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the section encompassing pages 86 - 104, an image of communion is presented, as it is throughout the novel. Consider the significance of this ritual outside the walls of a church. Discuss what the implication of this event is, especially in light of the theme of the relationship between fathers and sons outside the realm of religion. Factor in, too, the relationship between John and Jack.
Essay Topic 2
It is conceivable that Jack Boughton and John's wife Lila have common traits. While John's descriptions of Lila are admittedly sketchy, discuss any parallels between these two characters, but also any significant differences.
Essay Topic 3
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)