|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
2. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
3. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
4. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
5. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
2. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
3. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
4. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
5. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
6. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
7. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
8. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
9. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
10. How does John describe being in the world at night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare John's relationship to his son to the relationship John had with his father. Discuss the similarities and differences. Was John sorry for the way he was brought up by his father? Does John have any regrets as to how he is bringing up his own son? Discuss.
Essay Topic 2
John preaches a sermon based on the story of Hagar and Ishmael. It is suggested that John's inner life is played out in his sermons. Evaluate the sermons presented in the novel as a whole and discuss other parallels between John's sermons and occurrences in his life.
Essay Topic 3
John's wife and son remained unnamed for the majority of the book. His wife's name is heard only from the mouth of Jack Boughton late in the novel. Discuss why Robinson chose not to reveal these names, taking into consideration John's relationship with his immediate family and how he views the two in his own life.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)