|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) His Pentecost sermon.
(b) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
(c) A new Bible.
(d) New reading glasses.
2. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little sport.
(b) Little man.
(c) Little brother.
(d) Little John.
3. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(b) He tried some hair tonic.
(c) He bought a new suit.
(d) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
4. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
(a) Abraham and Issac.
(b) Hagar and Ishmael.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Cain and Abel.
5. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(b) The wrath of God.
(d) The majesty of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
2. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
3. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
4. What was Lila's response when he asked her if she had family in the area?
5. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
2. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
3. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
4. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
5. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
6. Describe John's birthday.
7. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
8. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
9. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
10. Describe Della's family situation.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)