|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
(a) The Beatitudes.
(b) The Lord's Prayer.
(c) The 23rd Psalm.
(d) The Ten Commandments.
2. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because people believe him when he does.
(b) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(c) Because it comes so easily.
(d) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
3. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an atheist.
(b) That he cannot look after his family.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he is an adulterer.
4. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(b) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(c) Caused him to faint.
(d) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
5. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
(a) Hot tea.
(b) Hot cider.
(c) Cool water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
2. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
3. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
4. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
5. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)