|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) A somber pair.
(b) A lively pair.
(c) A joyous pair.
(d) An angry pair.
2. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's Day.
3. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Clear out the iris beds.
(c) Play catch.
(d) Clean out closets in the house.
4. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
(b) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(c) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(d) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
5. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The White Sox.
(b) The Yankees.
(c) The Dodgers.
(d) The Cardinals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack call John's wife?
2. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
3. How old was John when Lila first came to church?
4. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
5. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
2. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
3. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
4. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
5. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
6. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
7. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
8. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
9. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
10. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)