|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(a) An aluminum pie plate.
(c) A Dodgers cap.
(d) A tin can.
2. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(c) Des Moines.
(d) St. Louis.
3. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he will break her heart.
(b) That he is an adulterer.
(c) That he cannot look after his family.
(d) That he is an atheist.
4. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
5. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because it comes so easily.
(b) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
(c) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(d) Because people believe him when he does.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
2. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
3. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
4. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
5. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Della's family situation.
2. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
3. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
4. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
5. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
6. Describe John's birthday.
7. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
8. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
9. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
10. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)