|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(b) She is a native American.
(c) She is colored.
(d) She is dying of tuberculosis.
2. After Jack brings John and his family a sack of gourds, what does Lila give Jack in return?
(b) Green tomatoes.
(c) A watermelon.
3. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(b) The Second Coming.
(d) The resurrection.
4. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(a) St. Louis.
(b) Des Moines.
5. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(d) A burden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack call John's wife?
2. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
3. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
4. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
5. What day does John consider his day of rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
2. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
3. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
4. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
5. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
6. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
7. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
8. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
9. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
10. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)