|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an adulterer.
(b) That he cannot look after his family.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he is an atheist.
2. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little man.
(b) Little sport.
(c) Little John.
(d) Little brother.
3. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
(b) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
(c) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
(d) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
4. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
(a) They guard their speech.
(b) They love where they pity.
(c) They do not take offense easily.
(d) They give without hope of return.
5. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
(a) "You should help me understand the Bible."
(b) "You ought to marry me."
(c) "You should take me to dinner."
(d) "You should teach me everything you know."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
2. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
3. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
4. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
5. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Della's family situation.
2. Describe John's birthday.
3. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
4. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
5. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
6. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
7. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
8. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
9. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
10. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)