|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
(b) Jack's ability to see through people.
(c) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
(d) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
2. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
(b) That he will cause his father's early death.
(c) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
(d) That he has desires for Lila.
3. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Caused him to faint.
(b) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(c) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(d) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
4. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
(a) Getting her telephone number.
(b) Finding out where she lived.
(c) Asking her name.
(d) Paying more attention to his sermon.
5. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
(a) As a challenge.
(b) As weapons.
(c) As objects of scorn.
(d) As food for thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
2. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
3. What is Jack's son's name?
4. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
5. What was Lila's response when he asked her if she had family in the area?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
2. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
3. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
4. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
5. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
6. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
7. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
8. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
9. How does John attempt to love Jack?
10. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)