|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
(b) Other women.
2. How does John hope to die?
(a) With a smile on his lips.
(b) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(c) In his sleep.
(d) With a quiet heart.
3. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(b) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(c) He bought a new suit.
(d) He tried some hair tonic.
4. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Memorial Day.
(c) The Fourth of July.
5. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Jack's wife?
2. What day does John consider his day of rest?
3. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
4. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
5. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
2. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
3. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
4. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
5. Describe John's birthday.
6. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
7. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
8. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
9. How does John recall Boughton's parents?
10. Describe Della's family situation.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)