|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) An angry pair.
(b) A somber pair.
(c) A lively pair.
(d) A joyous pair.
2. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(b) Because it comes so easily.
(c) Because people believe him when he does.
(d) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
3. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
(a) Jack spending time with his son.
(b) Growing old and infirm.
(c) Being so much older than his wife.
(d) Seeing Boughton and his son Jack together.
4. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
(a) A Methodist regiment.
(b) A graybeard regiment.
(c) A colored regiment.
(d) A teenage regiment.
5. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Clean out closets in the house.
(c) Clear out the iris beds.
(d) Play catch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
2. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
3. What was the expectation placed on John and Louisa from childhood?
4. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
5. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
2. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
3. Describe John's birthday.
4. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
5. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
6. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
7. How does John attempt to love Jack?
8. Describe Della's family situation.
9. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
10. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)