|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Ames.
2. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
(a) They kept the porch cool.
(b) They attracted hummingbirds.
(c) They were too much trouble to cut down.
(d) They attracted butterflies.
3. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
(a) The fact that Lila is so young.
(b) The fact that Lila has been married before.
(c) The fact that Lila is uneducated.
(d) The fact that Lila is Native American.
4. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) Memorial Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
5. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) General Pershing.
(c) Eddie Rickenbacker.
(d) Charles Lindbergh.
Short Answer Questions
1. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
2. What does Jack tell John he realized about Boughton after Jack has returned home for this period?
3. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
4. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
5. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
2. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
3. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
4. Describe John's birthday.
5. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
6. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
7. Describe Della's family situation.
8. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
9. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
10. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)