|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
2. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
3. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
4. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
5. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
(a) The 23rd Psalm.
(b) The Ten Commandments.
(c) The Beatitudes.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
2. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
3. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
4. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
5. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John attempt to love Jack?
2. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
3. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
4. What are Jack's reasons for coming home to Gilead?
5. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
6. Describe Della's family situation.
7. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
8. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
9. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
10. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)