|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(b) He tried some hair tonic.
(c) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(d) He bought a new suit.
2. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Isaiah Jacob.
3. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
(b) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
(c) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
(d) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
4. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
5. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Painted them with pink paint.
(b) Set them on fire.
(c) Painted molasses on them.
(d) Broke them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
2. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
3. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
4. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
5. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John attempt to love Jack?
2. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
3. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
4. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
5. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
6. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
7. What does John recall about how his grandfather was invited to speak at a town picnic?
8. Describe Della's family situation.
9. Describe John's birthday.
10. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)