|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
(b) That she was glad that they were married.
(c) That she was worried about his health.
(d) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
2. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(c) A burden.
3. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
(b) Lonely people.
4. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
(a) Ralph Vaughn Williams.
(b) Isaac Watts.
(c) John Ames.
(d) John Philip Sousa.
5. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(b) The majesty of God.
(d) The wrath of God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
2. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
3. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
4. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
5. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John attempt to love Jack?
2. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
3. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
4. Describe John's birthday.
5. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
6. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
7. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
8. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
9. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
10. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)