|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he will cause his father's early death.
(b) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
(c) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
(d) That he has desires for Lila.
2. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(b) Stole it.
(c) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
(d) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
3. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was worried about his health.
(b) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
(c) That she was glad that they were married.
(d) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
4. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
5. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
(a) God and the American People.
(b) Loss of the American People.
(c) Fear and the American People.
(d) War and the American People.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
2. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
3. What is the name of Jack's wife?
4. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
5. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
2. What is the nature of John and Jack's first discussion at the church?
3. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
4. John states that he doesn't forgive Jack, writing "I wouldn't know were to begin." What provokes this statement?
5. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
6. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
7. How does John recall Boughton's parents?
8. What is the nature of the conversation John and Boughton have while Lila, their son, and Glory have gone to the movies?
9. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
10. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)