|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
(a) The fact that Lila is uneducated.
(b) The fact that Lila is so young.
(c) The fact that Lila is Native American.
(d) The fact that Lila has been married before.
2. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little sport.
(b) Little man.
(c) Little brother.
(d) Little John.
3. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
(a) The Beatitudes.
(b) The Ten Commandments.
(c) The 23rd Psalm.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
4. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Broke them.
(b) Set them on fire.
(c) Painted them with pink paint.
(d) Painted molasses on them.
5. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
(a) The resurrection.
(b) The human soul.
(d) The end of evil.
Short Answer Questions
1. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
2. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
3. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
4. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
5. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
2. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
3. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
4. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
5. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
6. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
7. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
8. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
9. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
10. Describe Della's family situation.
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)