|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lila's response when he asked her if she had family in the area?
(a) She said her family lived in another state.
(b) She said her family weren't churchgoing people.
(c) She said that she was estranged from her family.
(d) She said she had no family at all.
2. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
(b) The radio and television.
(c) Books by sham preachers.
(d) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
3. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
(a) See more of the world.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Read some of his books.
(d) Write some sort of account of himself.
4. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
(b) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
(c) Jack's ability to see through people.
(d) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
5. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Biscuits and gravy.
(b) Waffles and bacon.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Pancakes and sausage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
2. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
3. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
4. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
5. What does Jack tell John he realized about Boughton after Jack has returned home for this period?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
2. Describe Della's family situation.
3. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
4. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
5. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
6. Describe John's birthday.
7. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
8. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
9. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
10. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)