|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That Jack is a recent widower.
(b) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
(c) That he's not right with himself yet.
(d) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
2. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(a) A burden.
3. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Electrical work.
(d) Yard work.
4. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) Jack Boughton.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
5. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
Short Answer Questions
1. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
2. Jack Boughton tells John during their meeting in the church, "I wish I could have been like ___________________ ."
3. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
4. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
5. What is John's favorite breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John respond to Jack's question about his family moving to Gilead?
2. Describe John's birthday.
3. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
4. Describe Della's family situation.
5. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
6. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
7. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
8. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
9. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
10. How does John attempt to love Jack?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)