|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is John's son?
2. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(b) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(c) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(d) "Our Father in Heaven."
3. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a fire.
(b) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(c) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
(d) In a retreat across a river.
4. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A haversack.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A bowie knife.
(d) Two bloody shirts.
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(d) Brother Ames.
Short Answer Questions
1. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
2. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
3. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
4. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
2. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
3. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
4. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
5. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
6. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
7. How does John describe being in the world at night?
8. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
9. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
10. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)