|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Abraham and Isaac.
(b) Jacob and Esau.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
2. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
(a) Holy, Holy, Holy.
(b) At the Cross.
(c) Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed.
(d) Go to Dark Gethsemane.
3. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
(a) When his wife said "You ought to marry me."
(b) When his son was born.
(c) When he preached his first sermon.
(d) When he baptized his infant daughter.
4. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) Dan Boughton.
(b) Jack Boughton.
(c) The deacons of the church.
(d) The narrator himself.
5. What does John's father bury and tell him not to dig up?
(a) His grandfather's sermons.
(b) His grandfather's letters.
(c) His grandfather's shirts.
(d) His grandfather's pistol.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
2. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
3. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
4. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
5. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
2. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
3. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
4. What are some of John's comments on water?
5. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
6. How does John describe being in the world at night?
7. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
8. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
9. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
10. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)