|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(a) Brother Ames.
2. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A major highway.
(b) A wagon trail.
(c) A dirt road.
(d) A small creek.
3. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
(a) He knows John's grandfather has died.
(b) He knows John's grandfather is a pacifist.
(c) He knows John's grandfather is a deserter.
(d) He knows about John's grandfather's involvement with John Brown.
4. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(c) Baseball cards.
(d) Letters to his first wife.
5. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
Short Answer Questions
1. What vision did John's grandfather have?
2. What was John's father's name?
3. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
4. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
5. What does John's father bury and tell him not to dig up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Della's family situation.
2. What is the nature of the discussion John and Jack have about predestination?
3. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
4. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
5. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
6. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
7. What is the content of the conversation that Jack and Lila have as John feigns being asleep?
8. Describe the nature of the letters Edward is sending home to his father and brother.
9. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
10. What are some of John's comments on water?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)