|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(b) Doubting Thomas.
(c) The prodigal son.
2. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
3. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A dirt road.
(b) A major highway.
(c) A small creek.
(d) A wagon trail.
4. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) John Brown's horse.
(b) John Brown's mule.
(c) Union soldiers.
(d) John Brown.
5. When was John born?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does John want the son to read his journals?
2. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
3. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
4. What was John's father's name?
5. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
2. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
3. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
4. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
5. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
6. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
7. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
8. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
9. What are some of John's comments on water?
10. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)