|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
(a) Boughton was afraid that he might not have another son.
(b) Boughton liked the name John.
(c) Boughton thought naming children after biblical characters was too showy.
(d) Boughton's wife talked him into it.
2. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To point others to God.
(b) To honor ancient church architecture.
(c) To attract lightning.
(d) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
3. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Pray for people in their homes.
(b) Recites poetry.
(c) Sings to himself.
(d) Feels sorry for himself.
4. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) To his home.
(b) The Presbyterian church.
(c) Downtown to walk the streets.
(d) To the Negro church.
5. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
(a) "Don't go in the parlor."
(b) "Your grandfather is talking to God."
(c) "The Lord is in the parlor."
(d) "Your grandfather is having one of his spells."
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
2. What was Boughton's childhood name?
3. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
4. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
5. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
2. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
3. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
4. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
5. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
6. How does John describe being in the world at night?
7. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
8. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
9. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
10. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)