|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 40.
(b) Psalm 133.
(c) Psalm 100.
(d) Psalm 23.
2. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(b) Understand deep issues.
(c) Be sympathetic.
3. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By quoting scripture.
(c) From having years of seminary.
(d) By ordering more books than he ever had time to read.
4. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Adam and Eve.
(b) Cain and Abel.
(c) Jacob and Esau.
(d) Abraham and Isaac.
5. What is John's son's friend's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
2. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
3. Who was John's first wife?
4. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
5. When does John want the son to read his journals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
2. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
3. How does John describe being in the world at night?
4. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
5. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
6. What does John learn about his grandfather and his encounter with a Union soldier?
7. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
8. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
9. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
10. Describe John's brother, Edward.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)