|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(b) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(c) When he served in the Army.
(d) When he was away at seminary.
2. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he lost his hearing.
(c) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(d) That he was away for long periods of time.
3. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) John Brown's horse.
(b) Union soldiers.
(c) John Brown's mule.
(d) John Brown.
4. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Joy and rest.
(b) Peace and comfort.
(c) Curiosity and questioning.
(d) Fear and loathing.
5. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
(a) When his son was born.
(b) When he preached his first sermon.
(c) When his wife said "You ought to marry me."
(d) When he baptized his infant daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
2. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
3. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
4. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
5. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of John's comments on water?
2. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
3. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
4. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
5. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
6. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
7. Describe John's brother, Edward.
8. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
9. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
10. Describe how John learned scripture.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)