|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His wife.
2. When was John born?
3. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(b) The prodigal son.
(d) Doubting Thomas.
4. Who was John's first wife?
5. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
(a) At the Cross.
(b) Holy, Holy, Holy.
(c) Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed.
(d) Go to Dark Gethsemane.
Short Answer Questions
1. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
2. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
3. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
4. What does John tell his son he regrets?
5. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
2. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
3. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
4. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
5. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
6. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
7. What are some of John's comments on water?
8. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
9. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
10. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)