|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John's older brother?
2. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 100.
(b) Psalm 40.
(c) Psalm 23.
(d) Psalm 133.
3. When does John want the son to read his journals?
(a) When the narrator is dead.
(b) When the son has a son of his own.
(c) When the narrator has moved away.
(d) When the son gets married.
4. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A bowie knife.
(c) A lead pipe.
(d) A Confederate pistol.
5. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
2. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
3. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
4. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
5. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
2. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
3. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
4. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
5. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
6. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
7. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
8. Describe how John learned scripture.
9. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
10. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)