|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
2. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(b) The Spanish flu.
(c) The Swine flu.
(d) The bird flu.
3. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Martha Tilson Ames.
(b) Maggie Trudy Ames.
(c) Margaret Todd Ames.
(d) Mary Todd Ames.
4. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Catching a fastball.
(b) Having a horse step on it.
(c) Sliding into second base.
(d) Slamming a garden gate on it.
5. Who is John's older brother?
Short Answer Questions
1. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
2. What is John's son's friend's name?
3. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
4. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
5. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
2. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
3. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
4. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
5. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
6. What are some of John's comments on water?
7. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
8. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
9. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
10. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)