|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John's father die?
(a) Of the Spanish flu.
(b) Of tuberculosis.
(c) Of pneumonia.
(d) Of the mumps.
2. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
3. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To Des Moines.
(b) To the grave of his grandfather.
(c) To Topeka.
(d) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
4. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
5. When was John born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
2. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
3. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
4. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
5. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
2. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
3. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
4. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
5. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
6. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
7. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
8. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
9. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
10. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)