|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) John Brown.
(b) John Brown's mule.
(c) John Brown's horse.
(d) Union soldiers.
2. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) The narrator himself.
(b) Dan Boughton.
(c) The deacons of the church.
(d) Jack Boughton.
3. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(a) Doubting Thomas.
(d) The prodigal son.
4. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
5. What is John's son's friend's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
2. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
3. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
4. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
5. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
2. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
3. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
4. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
5. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
6. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
7. How does John describe being in the world at night?
8. What are some of John's comments on water?
9. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
10. Describe how John learned scripture.
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)