|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Fear and loathing.
(b) Peace and comfort.
(c) Curiosity and questioning.
(d) Joy and rest.
2. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A piece of sausage.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A cookie.
3. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
(d) Distant fires.
4. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Schmidt.
(b) Mr. Smith
(c) Mr. Shoemaker.
(d) Mr. Sawyer.
5. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People expect you to serve them.
(b) People avoid you.
(c) People laugh at you.
(d) People change the subject when they see you coming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
2. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
3. What is John's son's friend's name?
4. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
2. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
3. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
4. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
5. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
6. What are some of John's comments on water?
7. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
8. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
9. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
10. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)