|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Martha Tilson Ames.
(b) Margaret Todd Ames.
(c) Mary Todd Ames.
(d) Maggie Trudy Ames.
2. What was John's father's name?
(a) Joshua Ames.
(b) Jonas Ames.
(c) Jack Ames.
(d) John Ames.
3. How many children does Boughton have?
4. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
(a) Pancreatic cancer.
(b) Congestive heart failure.
(c) Gastro-intestinal reflux disease.
(d) Angina pectoris.
5. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A lead pipe.
(b) A bowie knife.
(c) A Confederate pistol.
(d) A shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
2. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
3. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
4. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
5. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
2. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
3. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
4. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
5. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
6. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
7. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
8. Describe how John learned scripture.
9. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
10. Describe John's brother, Edward.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)