|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
(a) "The Lord is in the parlor."
(b) "Your grandfather is having one of his spells."
(c) "Don't go in the parlor."
(d) "Your grandfather is talking to God."
2. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(d) Ron Paul.
3. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
(a) He knows John's grandfather is a pacifist.
(b) He knows John's grandfather is a deserter.
(c) He knows John's grandfather has died.
(d) He knows about John's grandfather's involvement with John Brown.
4. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Martha Tilson Ames.
(b) Mary Todd Ames.
(c) Maggie Trudy Ames.
(d) Margaret Todd Ames.
5. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
(b) To plant a church.
(c) To fight the Confederates.
(d) To start a family in a new community.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John and his father visited the graveyard, his father said, "I would never have thought this place could be ..."
2. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
3. How did John's father die?
4. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
5. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe the responsibility that comes from encountering another person?
2. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
3. What are some of John's reflections about Jack as a youth?
4. What are John's thoughts on "The Trail of the Lonesome Pine"?
5. Describe John's birthday.
6. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
7. How does John give Lila instruction prior to her baptism, and what is the nature of this instruction?
8. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
9. John writes an extensive contemplation of the Ten Commandments, focusing on the Fifth Commandment. What are some of his thoughts?
10. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)