|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(c) Social graces.
2. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
(a) By quoting scripture.
(b) By ordering more books than he ever had time to read.
(c) From having years of seminary.
(d) By reading poetry.
3. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) The deacons of the church.
(b) Dan Boughton.
(c) Jack Boughton.
(d) The narrator himself.
4. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Reading the newspaper together.
(b) Playing dominos.
(c) Playing catch.
(d) Eating a piece of cake.
5. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(c) Confederate money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
2. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
3. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
4. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
5. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
2. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
3. What are some of the key aspects of John's life that he recounts to his son?
4. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
5. Why does John feel that his memories of fleeting incidents are so vivid to him?
6. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
7. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
8. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
9. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
10. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)