|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
2. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be in jail.
(b) That the two should be coming to church.
(c) That the two were being disrespectful.
(d) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
3. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Presbyterians.
(b) The Unitarians.
(c) The Baptists.
(d) The Methodists.
4. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
(a) His wife.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His grandfather.
5. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A biscuit.
(b) A cookie.
(c) A piece of sausage.
(d) A loaf of bread.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
2. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
3. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
4. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
5. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
2. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
3. Describe how John learned scripture.
4. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
5. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
6. What does John believe about the soul in Paradise?
7. Briefly recount the story John's grandfather and his friends used to tell about the citizens of a little abolitionist town.
8. What is John's point on preaching on Hagar and Ishmael?
9. Contrast how John felt about Lila when first becoming acquainted with her to how he felt about his first wife, Louisa.
10. What three things does seeing Jack playing catch with John's son remind him of?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)