|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
2. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) Two bloody shirts.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A bowie knife.
(d) A haversack.
3. What was John's father's name?
(a) John Ames.
(b) Joshua Ames.
(c) Jonas Ames.
(d) Jack Ames.
4. When John and his father visited the graveyard, his father said, "I would never have thought this place could be ..."
5. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
(a) It gives little boys something to play in.
(b) It is a resource-saving device.
(c) It waters the grass when it does not rain.
(d) It exposes raindrops to sunshine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
2. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
3. What does John tell his son he regrets?
4. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
5. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is John's response to the possibility that there may be something approaching love between Lila and Jack?
2. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
3. What does Jack share with John that acts as a prelude to the novel's climax? Share some details about the specifics of Jack's revelation.
4. How does John explain the futility of defending beliefs?
5. How does John describe being in the world at night?
6. What are two memories of pranks that John and Boughton share on Boughton's porch?
7. Describe the relationship Jack had with a lower-class, uneducated girl.
8. How does John recall Jack's baptism?
9. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
10. What moves John to tears during his conversation at the church with Jack?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)