|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(b) That he lost his hearing.
(c) That he was away for long periods of time.
(d) That he is dying.
2. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Playing catch.
(b) Playing dominos.
(c) Reading the newspaper together.
(d) Eating a piece of cake.
3. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "Our Father in Heaven."
(b) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(c) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(d) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
4. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Jacob and Esau.
(b) Abraham and Isaac.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Adam and Eve.
5. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
(b) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(c) They were caught in a storm.
(d) They found his grandfather's grave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
2. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
3. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
4. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
5. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of John's comments on water?
2. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
3. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
4. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
5. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
6. Describe how John learned scripture.
7. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
8. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
9. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
10. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)