|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
(b) They found his grandfather's grave.
(c) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(d) They were caught in a storm.
2. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People avoid you.
(b) People laugh at you.
(c) People change the subject when they see you coming.
(d) People expect you to serve them.
3. What was Boughton's childhood name?
4. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) Downtown to walk the streets.
(b) To the Negro church.
(c) To his home.
(d) The Presbyterian church.
5. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Sings to himself.
(b) Pray for people in their homes.
(c) Feels sorry for himself.
(d) Recites poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
2. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
3. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
4. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
5. What was John's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the contrast between John's father and his grandfather's views on war?
2. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
3. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
4. What are some of John's impressions of Tobias and his son?
5. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
6. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
7. How does John describe himself as a younger man?
8. Describe John's brother, Edward.
9. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
10. Describe the moment of communion John experiences in the ruins of the burned-out church.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)