|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To plant a church.
(b) To start a family in a new community.
(c) To fight the Confederates.
(d) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
2. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he is old.
(b) Because he needs to make a trip.
(c) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(d) Because he's tired of living in their home.
3. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a fire.
(b) In a retreat across a river.
(c) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(d) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
4. What was John's father's name?
(a) John Ames.
(b) Jonas Ames.
(c) Jack Ames.
(d) Joshua Ames.
5. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To attract lightning.
(b) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
(c) To honor ancient church architecture.
(d) To point others to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
2. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
3. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
4. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
5. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John describe being in the world at night?
2. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
3. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
4. What are John's feelings and descriptions of baptism?
5. How does John view Jack Boughton prior to his coming?
6. What are John's thoughts upon hearing a waltz on the radio?
7. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
8. According to John, what are some of the strangest things about being in the ministry?
9. What was Jack Boughton's first meeting with Lila like?
10. Describe some of the events John and his father faced in their journey to Kansas.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)