|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is John's older brother?
2. How many children does Boughton have?
3. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(b) Be sympathetic.
(d) Understand deep issues.
4. Why did John feel that he would be a minister?
(a) His mother forced him into the ministry.
(b) He was compelled by what he had learned through reading the bible.
(c) It was the only life he knew.
(d) He knew he would fail at anything else.
5. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John, visions sometimes only come under what circumstances?
2. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
3. What is John's son's friend's name?
4. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
5. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of John's comments on water?
2. Describe the preaching John's grandfather did after coming back from the war, and how it affected his listeners.
3. How does John explain death to people who ask what it is like?
4. What are John's thoughts on the Lord's Supper? How does his son figure into this account?
5. How does John describe being "imperishable"?
6. What is the significance behind the story of the farmer who was murdered with a bowie knife, and what does that have to do with John's grandfather?
7. What is the story John's father tells him about John Brown's mule?
8. What are the basic facts about John's first marriage?
9. What are John's feelings about baseball, and what incidents contributed to those feelings?
10. What was the nature of the meeting John had with the church trustees regarding the church building?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)