|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because people believe him when he does.
(b) Because it comes so easily.
(c) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(d) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
2. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
3. How does John hope to die?
(a) With a smile on his lips.
(b) With a quiet heart.
(c) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(d) In his sleep.
4. How does John spend the whole night after overhearing the conversation between Lila and Jack?
(a) Writing down the conversation.
(b) Praying for Jack.
(c) Praying for his wife.
(d) Fighting back anger toward Jack.
5. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(c) The Second Coming.
(d) The resurrection.
6. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
7. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He bought a new suit.
(b) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(c) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(d) He tried some hair tonic.
8. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
(a) It can cause arguments.
(b) It angers God.
(c) It can unsettle belief.
(d) It can make the defender stronger.
9. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
(a) He was waiting tables.
(b) He was teaching at a high school.
(c) He was selling men's clothes.
(d) He was selling shoes.
10. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
(a) "You ought to marry me."
(b) "You should teach me everything you know."
(c) "You should take me to dinner."
(d) "You should help me understand the Bible."
11. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Painted them with pink paint.
(b) Broke them.
(c) Set them on fire.
(d) Painted molasses on them.
12. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That Jack is a recent widower.
(b) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
(c) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
(d) That he's not right with himself yet.
13. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) General Pershing.
(b) Charles Lindbergh.
(c) Eddie Rickenbacker.
(d) Babe Ruth.
14. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little sport.
(b) Little brother.
(c) Little man.
(d) Little John.
15. What day does John consider his day of rest?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is John in 1947?
2. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
3. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
4. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
5. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)