|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack call John's wife?
(a) Mrs. Ames.
2. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The Dodgers.
(b) The Yankees.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The White Sox.
3. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(b) Because people believe him when he does.
(c) Because it comes so easily.
(d) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
4. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Pancakes and sausage.
(b) Waffles and bacon.
(c) Bacon and eggs.
(d) Biscuits and gravy.
5. What is Jack's son's name?
(a) Richard Boughton Maxwell.
(b) Robert Benton Miller.
(c) Robert Boughton Miles.
(d) Ronald Baxter Mitchell.
6. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(a) An aluminum pie plate.
(c) A tin can.
(d) A Dodgers cap.
7. How does John hope to die?
(a) In his sleep.
(b) With a quiet heart.
(c) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(d) With a smile on his lips.
8. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
(a) The resurrection.
(b) The end of evil.
(d) The human soul.
9. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
(a) Abraham and Issac.
(b) Hagar and Ishmael.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Cain and Abel.
10. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Yard work.
(d) Electrical work.
11. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
(a) Jack Boughton.
(b) Glory Boughton.
12. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is dying of tuberculosis.
(b) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(c) She is colored.
(d) She is a native American.
13. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
14. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
(a) They guard their speech.
(b) They give without hope of return.
(c) They do not take offense easily.
(d) They love where they pity.
15. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
2. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
3. What day does John consider his day of rest?
4. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
5. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)