|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(a) Martin Luther.
(b) Karl Barth.
(d) John Calvin.
2. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(b) Isaiah Jacob.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
3. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
4. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
(a) See more of the world.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Read some of his books.
(d) Write some sort of account of himself.
5. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
(b) New reading glasses.
(c) A new Bible.
(d) His Pentecost sermon.
6. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Charles Lindbergh.
(c) Eddie Rickenbacker.
(d) General Pershing.
7. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) New Year's Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(c) Memorial Day.
8. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
(a) A colored regiment.
(b) A Methodist regiment.
(c) A teenage regiment.
(d) A graybeard regiment.
9. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
(a) Letters from Germany.
(b) John's desire to leave home.
(c) Questions John raised.
(d) Books by skeptics John read.
10. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
(a) The first commandment.
(b) The seventh commandment.
(c) The fifth commandment.
(d) The tenth commandment.
11. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(b) A Dodgers cap.
(c) A tin can.
(d) An aluminum pie plate.
12. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(a) Des Moines.
(c) St. Louis.
13. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(b) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
(c) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(d) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
14. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was glad that they were married.
(b) That she was worried about his health.
(c) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
(d) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
15. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
2. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
3. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
4. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
5. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)