|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
2. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(d) A burden.
3. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Isaiah Jacob.
(d) John Brown.
4. What is Jack's son's name?
(a) Robert Boughton Miles.
(b) Robert Benton Miller.
(c) Ronald Baxter Mitchell.
(d) Richard Boughton Maxwell.
5. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
(a) The fact that Lila is so young.
(b) The fact that Lila is uneducated.
(c) The fact that Lila has been married before.
(d) The fact that Lila is Native American.
6. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(c) The wrath of God.
(d) The majesty of God.
7. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
(a) A graybeard regiment.
(b) A teenage regiment.
(c) A colored regiment.
(d) A Methodist regiment.
8. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
(a) The 23rd Psalm.
(b) The Beatitudes.
(c) The Lord's Prayer.
(d) The Ten Commandments.
9. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
(a) Fear and the American People.
(b) God and the American People.
(c) Loss of the American People.
(d) War and the American People.
10. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(b) The Second Coming.
(c) The resurrection.
11. How old is John in 1947?
(a) Almost seventy.
(c) Almost eighty.
(d) Almost sixty.
12. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(b) Stole it.
(c) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(d) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
13. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) Charles Lindbergh.
(c) General Pershing.
(d) Eddie Rickenbacker.
14. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
15. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(b) Because people believe him when he does.
(c) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
(d) Because it comes so easily.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
2. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
3. What does Jack call John's son?
4. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
5. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)