|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
(a) He wants to expose Jack for what he was.
(b) He wants his son to see the beauty in Jack.
(c) He wants his son to avoid the same mistakes Jack had made.
(d) He wants to express to his son how sorry he was for Jack.
2. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) A joyous pair.
(b) An angry pair.
(c) A somber pair.
(d) A lively pair.
3. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
(a) Ralph Vaughn Williams.
(b) Isaac Watts.
(c) John Philip Sousa.
(d) John Ames.
4. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Clear out the iris beds.
(b) Clean out closets in the house.
(c) Play catch.
5. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Waffles and bacon.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Biscuits and gravy.
(d) Pancakes and sausage.
6. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Electrical work.
(b) Yard work.
7. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Isaiah Jacob.
(c) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(d) John Brown.
8. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
9. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
10. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) Jack Boughton.
(c) His father.
(d) His grandfather.
11. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(a) St. Louis.
(d) Des Moines.
12. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
(a) He was waiting tables.
(b) He was selling shoes.
(c) He was selling men's clothes.
(d) He was teaching at a high school.
13. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
14. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an adulterer.
(b) That he will break her heart.
(c) That he cannot look after his family.
(d) That he is an atheist.
15. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) John Brown.
(b) John Ames.
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
2. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
3. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
4. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
5. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)