|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Play catch.
(b) Clean out closets in the house.
(c) Clear out the iris beds.
2. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
(a) "You should take me to dinner."
(b) "You ought to marry me."
(c) "You should teach me everything you know."
(d) "You should help me understand the Bible."
3. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
(a) His reading glasses.
(b) A photograph of Louisa.
(c) His Greek New Testament.
(d) A pocketknife.
4. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
5. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) New reading glasses.
(b) His Pentecost sermon.
(c) A new Bible.
(d) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
6. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
(a) Watch movies or television.
(b) Play marbles.
(c) Go to the Ames house anymore.
(d) Stay out past 9 p.m.
7. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is colored.
(b) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(c) She is a native American.
(d) She is dying of tuberculosis.
8. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) John Ames.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
9. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
(a) Getting her telephone number.
(b) Paying more attention to his sermon.
(c) Finding out where she lived.
(d) Asking her name.
10. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Biscuits and gravy.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Pancakes and sausage.
(d) Waffles and bacon.
11. What does Jack tell John he realized about Boughton after Jack has returned home for this period?
(a) That Boughton doesn't love him anymore.
(b) That Boughton wants Jack to never leave.
(c) That Boughton is old.
(d) That Boughon is as sharp as ever.
12. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little brother.
(b) Little John.
(c) Little man.
(d) Little sport.
13. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(b) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(c) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
(d) Caused him to faint.
14. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That he's not right with himself yet.
(b) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
(c) That Jack is a recent widower.
(d) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
15. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The Dodgers.
(b) The Cardinals.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Yankees.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
2. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
3. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
4. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
5. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)