|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(b) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
(c) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
(d) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
2. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
(a) All of the above.
(b) Write some sort of account of himself.
(c) Read some of his books.
(d) See more of the world.
3. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Play catch.
(b) Clear out the iris beds.
(d) Clean out closets in the house.
4. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
(a) His Greek New Testament.
(b) A photograph of Louisa.
(c) A pocketknife.
(d) His reading glasses.
5. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an atheist.
(b) That he cannot look after his family.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he is an adulterer.
6. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
(a) He failed and had to drop out of college.
(b) He stole money from a liquor store.
(c) He was involved in a hit-and-run accident.
(d) He got a young girl pregnant.
7. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
(a) They give without hope of return.
(b) They do not take offense easily.
(c) They love where they pity.
(d) They guard their speech.
8. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The Yalobusha.
(b) The Satartia.
(c) The West Nishnabotna.
(d) The East Okichobee.
9. What was the expectation placed on John and Louisa from childhood?
(a) That they would never marry.
(b) That they were to be married.
(c) That they would move to St. Louis together.
(d) That they would have several children.
10. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
11. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
(a) As weapons.
(b) As food for thought.
(c) As a challenge.
(d) As objects of scorn.
12. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
13. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
14. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) General Pershing.
(b) Babe Ruth.
(c) Eddie Rickenbacker.
(d) Charles Lindbergh.
15. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Isaiah Jacob.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
2. How does John hope to die?
3. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
4. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
5. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)