|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(a) An aluminum pie plate.
(b) A Dodgers cap.
(d) A tin can.
2. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That he's not right with himself yet.
(b) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
(c) That Jack is a recent widower.
(d) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
3. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) The Fourth of July.
(d) New Year's Day.
4. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
5. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The West Nishnabotna.
(b) The Yalobusha.
(c) The Satartia.
(d) The East Okichobee.
6. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
(d) Jack Boughton.
7. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
(a) The end of evil.
(b) The human soul.
(c) The resurrection.
8. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
(a) It can cause arguments.
(b) It angers God.
(c) It can unsettle belief.
(d) It can make the defender stronger.
9. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
(a) "How is my father really doing?"
(b) "How 'bout them Yankees?"
(c) "I don't want to bother you."
(d) "I'm very sorry."
10. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
(b) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(c) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(d) Caused him to faint.
11. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
(d) Other women.
12. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
(b) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
(c) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
(d) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
13. What does Jack call John's wife?
(c) Mrs. Ames.
14. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
(a) He was waiting tables.
(b) He was selling shoes.
(c) He was teaching at a high school.
(d) He was selling men's clothes.
15. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
(a) Clean out closets in the house.
(b) Clear out the iris beds.
(c) Play catch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack call John's son?
2. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
3. Jack Boughton tells John during their meeting in the church, "I wish I could have been like ___________________ ."
4. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
5. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)