|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
(b) Lonely people.
2. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) A joyous pair.
(b) A lively pair.
(c) An angry pair.
(d) A somber pair.
3. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(a) Martin Luther.
(c) Karl Barth.
(d) John Calvin.
4. How old is John in 1947?
(a) Almost seventy.
(b) Almost eighty.
(d) Almost sixty.
5. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
6. How does John hope to die?
(a) With a quiet heart.
(b) With a smile on his lips.
(c) In his sleep.
(d) With everyone in his life forgiven.
7. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
(a) "How 'bout them Yankees?"
(b) "How is my father really doing?"
(c) "I don't want to bother you."
(d) "I'm very sorry."
8. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he cannot look after his family.
(b) That he is an adulterer.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he is an atheist.
9. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
10. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
11. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(a) The Second Coming.
(b) The resurrection.
12. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
(a) Being so much older than his wife.
(b) Growing old and infirm.
(c) Seeing Boughton and his son Jack together.
(d) Jack spending time with his son.
13. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
(b) That she was worried about his health.
(c) That she was glad that they were married.
(d) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
14. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
15. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The West Nishnabotna.
(b) The East Okichobee.
(c) The Yalobusha.
(d) The Satartia.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
2. Jack Boughton tells John during their meeting in the church, "I wish I could have been like ___________________ ."
3. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
4. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
5. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)