|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lila's response when he asked her if she had family in the area?
(a) She said she had no family at all.
(b) She said her family weren't churchgoing people.
(c) She said that she was estranged from her family.
(d) She said her family lived in another state.
2. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The Yankees.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Dodgers.
3. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
4. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
(b) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
(c) That Jack is a recent widower.
(d) That he's not right with himself yet.
5. After Jack brings John and his family a sack of gourds, what does Lila give Jack in return?
(a) Green tomatoes.
(b) A watermelon.
6. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(d) A burden.
7. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
(a) Books by skeptics John read.
(b) Questions John raised.
(c) John's desire to leave home.
(d) Letters from Germany.
8. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(b) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(c) He bought a new suit.
(d) He tried some hair tonic.
9. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he will cause his father's early death.
(b) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
(c) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
(d) That he has desires for Lila.
10. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
(b) Glory Boughton.
(d) Jack Boughton.
11. How old was John when Lila first came to church?
12. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Pancakes and sausage.
(c) Biscuits and gravy.
(d) Waffles and bacon.
13. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(a) Des Moines.
(c) St. Louis.
14. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
15. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Set them on fire.
(b) Painted molasses on them.
(c) Painted them with pink paint.
(d) Broke them.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
2. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
3. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
4. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
5. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)