|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) A new Bible.
(b) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
(c) His Pentecost sermon.
(d) New reading glasses.
2. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(b) Biscuits and gravy.
(c) Waffles and bacon.
(d) Pancakes and sausage.
3. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
(c) Glory Boughton.
(d) Jack Boughton.
4. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Yard work.
(c) Electrical work.
5. What does Jack call John's wife?
(b) Mrs. Ames.
6. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The East Okichobee.
(b) The Yalobusha.
(c) The Satartia.
(d) The West Nishnabotna.
7. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(b) The wrath of God.
(c) The majesty of God.
8. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
(a) Cain and Abel.
(b) Abraham and Issac.
(c) Hagar and Ishmael.
(d) Adam and Eve.
9. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
(a) He has never been able to warm to him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He is jealous of him.
(d) He is resentful of him.
10. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
(a) His Greek New Testament.
(b) His reading glasses.
(c) A photograph of Louisa.
(d) A pocketknife.
11. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The Yankees.
(b) The White Sox.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Dodgers.
12. What day does John consider his day of rest?
13. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(b) A Dodgers cap.
(c) An aluminum pie plate.
(d) A tin can.
14. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
(a) The end of evil.
(b) The resurrection.
(d) The human soul.
15. How does John spend the whole night after overhearing the conversation between Lila and Jack?
(a) Praying for his wife.
(b) Fighting back anger toward Jack.
(c) Praying for Jack.
(d) Writing down the conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
2. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
3. What does John state is one of the best traits of good people?
4. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
5. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)