|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Painted them with pink paint.
(b) Painted molasses on them.
(c) Broke them.
(d) Set them on fire.
2. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(b) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(c) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
(d) Caused him to faint.
3. What day does John consider his day of rest?
4. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because people believe him when he does.
(b) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
(c) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(d) Because it comes so easily.
5. What does Jack tell John he realized about Boughton after Jack has returned home for this period?
(a) That Boughton is old.
(b) That Boughton wants Jack to never leave.
(c) That Boughton doesn't love him anymore.
(d) That Boughon is as sharp as ever.
6. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The White Sox.
(b) The Yankees.
(c) The Cardinals.
(d) The Dodgers.
7. How did Lila respond when he asks her how he could repay her for tending to his garden?
(a) "You should help me understand the Bible."
(b) "You should teach me everything you know."
(c) "You should take me to dinner."
(d) "You ought to marry me."
8. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
(d) Lonely people.
9. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
10. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he cannot look after his family.
(b) That he is an adulterer.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he is an atheist.
11. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
(a) Glory Boughton.
(d) Jack Boughton.
12. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
13. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(b) John Ames.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
14. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
15. How old is John in 1947?
(a) Almost eighty.
(c) Almost seventy.
(d) Almost sixty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
2. What is the name of Jack's wife?
3. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
4. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
5. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)