|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Pancakes and sausage.
(b) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Biscuits and gravy.
(d) Waffles and bacon.
2. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
(a) Paying more attention to his sermon.
(b) Asking her name.
(c) Getting her telephone number.
(d) Finding out where she lived.
3. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) A new Bible.
(b) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
(c) His Pentecost sermon.
(d) New reading glasses.
4. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) The radio and television.
(b) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
(c) Books by sham preachers.
(d) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
5. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
6. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(c) The resurrection.
(d) The Second Coming.
7. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
(a) A colored regiment.
(b) A graybeard regiment.
(c) A teenage regiment.
(d) A Methodist regiment.
8. What does Jack call John's wife?
(a) Mrs. Ames.
9. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(a) Martin Luther.
(b) Karl Barth.
(c) John Calvin.
10. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(b) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(c) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
(d) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
11. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
(a) Go to the Ames house anymore.
(b) Watch movies or television.
(c) Stay out past 9 p.m.
(d) Play marbles.
12. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The Cardinals.
(b) The Yankees.
(c) The White Sox.
(d) The Dodgers.
13. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
14. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
(a) The end of evil.
(b) The resurrection.
(d) The human soul.
15. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
(a) The fact that Lila is so young.
(b) The fact that Lila is uneducated.
(c) The fact that Lila has been married before.
(d) The fact that Lila is Native American.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
2. What is the name of Jack's wife?
3. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
4. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
5. Where was Jack's wife's father's church located?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)