|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
(a) As objects of scorn.
(b) As weapons.
(c) As food for thought.
(d) As a challenge.
2. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
(a) Read some of his books.
(b) All of the above.
(c) Write some sort of account of himself.
(d) See more of the world.
3. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The Yalobusha.
(b) The Satartia.
(c) The East Okichobee.
(d) The West Nishnabotna.
4. Which of the Ten Commandments does John want his son to be particularly aware of?
(a) The seventh commandment.
(b) The tenth commandment.
(c) The fifth commandment.
(d) The first commandment.
5. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
(a) They were too much trouble to cut down.
(b) They attracted butterflies.
(c) They kept the porch cool.
(d) They attracted hummingbirds.
6. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
(a) Hot cider.
(c) Cool water.
(d) Hot tea.
7. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
(b) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
(c) Books by sham preachers.
(d) The radio and television.
8. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(a) The wrath of God.
(b) The majesty of God.
9. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
10. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's ability to see through people.
(b) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
(c) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
(d) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
11. Jack Boughton tells John during their meeting in the church, "I wish I could have been like ___________________ ."
(a) My mother.
(b) Your father.
(c) My father.
12. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
(b) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(c) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
(d) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
13. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
(a) He failed and had to drop out of college.
(b) He got a young girl pregnant.
(c) He was involved in a hit-and-run accident.
(d) He stole money from a liquor store.
14. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(b) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(c) Stole it.
(d) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
15. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
(c) Lonely people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
2. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
3. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
4. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
5. How does John hope to die?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)