|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
(a) Letters from Germany.
(b) Questions John raised.
(c) Books by skeptics John read.
(d) John's desire to leave home.
2. What does Jack tell John he realized about Boughton after Jack has returned home for this period?
(a) That Boughon is as sharp as ever.
(b) That Boughton doesn't love him anymore.
(c) That Boughton wants Jack to never leave.
(d) That Boughton is old.
3. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he has desires for Lila.
(b) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
(c) That he will cause his father's early death.
(d) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
4. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Isaiah Jacob.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Theodore Dwight Weld.
5. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
(a) He wants his son to avoid the same mistakes Jack had made.
(b) He wants his son to see the beauty in Jack.
(c) He wants to express to his son how sorry he was for Jack.
(d) He wants to expose Jack for what he was.
6. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
7. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(b) He bought a new suit.
(c) He tried some hair tonic.
(d) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
8. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
(b) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
(c) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
(d) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
9. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) John Ames.
(b) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
10. In John's grandfather's holiday sermon, what does he say the Lord came to him and did?
(a) Gave him the ability to see the future.
(b) Gave him a glimpse of heaven.
(c) Caused him to faint.
(d) Put his hand on his right shoulder.
11. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(c) Des Moines.
(d) St. Louis.
12. What is Jack's son's name?
(a) Robert Benton Miller.
(b) Ronald Baxter Mitchell.
(c) Robert Boughton Miles.
(d) Richard Boughton Maxwell.
13. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
(a) Play marbles.
(b) Stay out past 9 p.m.
(c) Go to the Ames house anymore.
(d) Watch movies or television.
14. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
15. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
(a) They kept the porch cool.
(b) They were too much trouble to cut down.
(c) They attracted hummingbirds.
(d) They attracted butterflies.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
2. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
3. What is the name of Jack's wife?
4. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
5. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)