|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
(b) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
(c) Jack's ability to see through people.
(d) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
2. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
(a) Finding out where she lived.
(b) Paying more attention to his sermon.
(c) Getting her telephone number.
(d) Asking her name.
3. According to John, how does Jack treat words?
(a) As weapons.
(b) As food for thought.
(c) As objects of scorn.
(d) As a challenge.
4. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
(a) Cain and Abel.
(b) Hagar and Ishmael.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Abraham and Issac.
5. How does John hope to die?
(a) In his sleep.
(b) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(c) With a quiet heart.
(d) With a smile on his lips.
6. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
(a) John Ames.
(b) John Philip Sousa.
(c) Ralph Vaughn Williams.
(d) Isaac Watts.
7. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
8. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
(b) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(c) Stole it.
(d) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
9. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an atheist.
(b) That he is an adulterer.
(c) That he will break her heart.
(d) That he cannot look after his family.
10. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) Memorial Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
11. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) The radio and television.
(b) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
(c) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
(d) Books by sham preachers.
12. How does John spend the whole night after overhearing the conversation between Lila and Jack?
(a) Writing down the conversation.
(b) Praying for Jack.
(c) Praying for his wife.
(d) Fighting back anger toward Jack.
13. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
(a) "How 'bout them Yankees?"
(b) "I'm very sorry."
(c) "How is my father really doing?"
(d) "I don't want to bother you."
14. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
(a) Play marbles.
(b) Go to the Ames house anymore.
(c) Watch movies or television.
(d) Stay out past 9 p.m.
15. Jack tells John that during the Civil War, Iowa had a specific kind of regiment. According to the Tennessean who spoke to Jack, what kind of regiment was it?
(a) A Methodist regiment.
(b) A graybeard regiment.
(c) A teenage regiment.
(d) A colored regiment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
2. What does Jack call John's son?
3. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
4. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
5. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)