|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
(a) John's desire to leave home.
(b) Books by skeptics John read.
(c) Questions John raised.
(d) Letters from Germany.
2. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because people believe him when he does.
(b) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(c) Because it comes so easily.
(d) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
3. What baseball team does Jack Boughton favor?
(a) The White Sox.
(b) The Dodgers.
(c) The Yankees.
(d) The Cardinals.
4. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
(a) They were too much trouble to cut down.
(b) They kept the porch cool.
(c) They attracted butterflies.
(d) They attracted hummingbirds.
5. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(a) Karl Barth.
(b) Martin Luther.
(d) John Calvin.
6. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
(a) "How is my father really doing?"
(b) "How 'bout them Yankees?"
(c) "I don't want to bother you."
(d) "I'm very sorry."
7. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
(a) Hot cider.
(b) Cool water.
(c) Hot tea.
8. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(a) Memorial Day.
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) The Fourth of July.
9. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
(a) He failed and had to drop out of college.
(b) He was involved in a hit-and-run accident.
(c) He stole money from a liquor store.
(d) He got a young girl pregnant.
10. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(a) The majesty of God.
(d) The wrath of God.
11. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(b) A tin can.
(c) An aluminum pie plate.
(d) A Dodgers cap.
12. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Roosevelt.
(b) Isaiah Jacob.
(c) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(d) John Brown.
13. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Stole it.
(b) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(c) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(d) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
14. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) A lively pair.
(b) A somber pair.
(c) A joyous pair.
(d) An angry pair.
15. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he will break her heart.
(b) That he cannot look after his family.
(c) That he is an adulterer.
(d) That he is an atheist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
4. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
5. What was the expectation placed on John and Louisa from childhood?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)