|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
(b) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(c) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(d) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
2. What was the expectation placed on John and Louisa from childhood?
(a) That they would never marry.
(b) That they would have several children.
(c) That they were to be married.
(d) That they would move to St. Louis together.
3. What is Jack's son's name?
(a) Richard Boughton Maxwell.
(b) Robert Boughton Miles.
(c) Ronald Baxter Mitchell.
(d) Robert Benton Miller.
4. According to John, his son looks at Jack as though he were who?
(a) General Pershing.
(b) Charles Lindbergh.
(c) Eddie Rickenbacker.
(d) Babe Ruth.
5. When John first meets Lila in church, what did he rebuke himself for not doing?
(a) Getting her telephone number.
(b) Finding out where she lived.
(c) Paying more attention to his sermon.
(d) Asking her name.
6. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(b) He bought a new suit.
(c) He tried some hair tonic.
(d) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
7. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
(a) An angry pair.
(b) A joyous pair.
(c) A lively pair.
(d) A somber pair.
8. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
9. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
(a) He has never been able to warm to him.
(b) He is resentful of him.
(c) He is afraid of him.
(d) He is jealous of him.
10. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was glad that they were married.
(b) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
(c) That she was worried about his health.
(d) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
11. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he will break her heart.
(b) That he is an adulterer.
(c) That he cannot look after his family.
(d) That he is an atheist.
12. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) His father.
(c) Jack Boughton.
(d) His grandfather.
13. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
14. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
(b) Other women.
15. What city does Lila say she was unable to find work in?
(a) St. Louis.
(d) Des Moines.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
2. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
3. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
4. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
5. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)