|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) Books by sham preachers.
(b) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
(c) The radio and television.
(d) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
2. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
(b) Cool water.
(c) Hot cider.
(d) Hot tea.
3. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
4. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he has desires for Lila.
(b) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
(c) That he will cause his father's early death.
(d) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
5. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(a) A burden.
6. How does John hope to die?
(a) With a quiet heart.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(d) With a smile on his lips.
7. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Stole it.
(b) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(c) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
(d) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
8. What did Boughton tell John about the trumpet vines covering his house?
(a) They attracted hummingbirds.
(b) They kept the porch cool.
(c) They attracted butterflies.
(d) They were too much trouble to cut down.
9. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is colored.
(b) She is dying of tuberculosis.
(c) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(d) She is a native American.
10. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) John Calvin.
(d) Karl Barth.
11. What church holiday does Lila first come to church on?
12. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) Jack Boughton.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
(d) The Methodist minister.
13. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
(a) A pocketknife.
(b) His reading glasses.
(c) A photograph of Louisa.
(d) His Greek New Testament.
14. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
(a) That Jack is a recent widower.
(b) That Jack has evil intentions toward Lila.
(c) That he's not right with himself yet.
(d) That he thinks Jack is in trouble with the law.
15. What caused John and his father to be "not quite at ease" with each other for the first time in John's life?
(a) Questions John raised.
(b) John's desire to leave home.
(c) Books by skeptics John read.
(d) Letters from Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. After Jack brings John and his family a sack of gourds, what does Lila give Jack in return?
4. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
5. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)