|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character said, "Maybe some people aren't so comfortable with themselves"?
(a) Jack Boughton.
(c) Glory Boughton.
2. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
(a) It angers God.
(b) It can make the defender stronger.
(c) It can unsettle belief.
(d) It can cause arguments.
3. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
(b) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
(c) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
(d) Jack's ability to see through people.
4. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
(a) The fact that Lila has been married before.
(b) The fact that Lila is uneducated.
(c) The fact that Lila is so young.
(d) The fact that Lila is Native American.
5. What is John's favorite breakfast?
(a) Pancakes and sausage.
(b) Biscuits and gravy.
(c) Waffles and bacon.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
6. Who is it hard for to see good faith in another character, which John states is a "terrible problem"?
(a) The Methodist minister.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) Jack Boughton.
(d) His father.
7. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
(b) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
(c) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
(d) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
8. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(b) Memorial Day.
(c) New Year's Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
9. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
(a) Putting a hay wagon on the roof of the courthouse.
(b) Turning all the pews in the Episcopal church upside down.
(c) Putting hard-boiled eggs under a neighbor's setting hen.
(d) Covering the neighbor's cat with whipped cream.
10. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
(a) Other women.
11. How does John hope to die?
(a) With everyone in his life forgiven.
(b) In his sleep.
(c) With a quiet heart.
(d) With a smile on his lips.
12. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(b) Theodore Roosevelt.
(c) Isaiah Jacob.
(d) John Brown.
13. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
(a) He wrote out what he would say if he ever had a conversation with her.
(b) He used more Greek and Hebrew in his preaching.
(c) He tried some hair tonic.
(d) He bought a new suit.
14. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
(a) Cool water.
(b) Hot tea.
(c) Hot cider.
15. What does Jack call John's son?
(a) Little brother.
(b) Little man.
(c) Little sport.
(d) Little John.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John spend the whole night after overhearing the conversation between Lila and Jack?
2. When Boughton visits John while Glory and Lila and their son go to the movies, what does Boughton say about Jack?
3. How old is John in 1947?
4. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
5. What does John encourage his son to do when he is an old man himself?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)