|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(a) The majesty of God.
(b) The wrath of God.
2. What did John discover about Lila when she spoke of him "more kindly than I deserve"?
(a) That she was worried about his health.
(b) That she had found the settled life she always wanted.
(c) That she was glad that they were married.
(d) That she was making preparations for when he was dead.
3. What does John state that the attempt to defend belief can do?
(a) It can cause arguments.
(b) It can unsettle belief.
(c) It angers God.
(d) It can make the defender stronger.
4. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
5. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
6. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
(d) Other women.
7. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
(a) John Calvin.
(b) Karl Barth.
(d) Martin Luther.
8. What incident in Jack Boughton's life does John recount that happened while Jack was still in college?
(a) He stole money from a liquor store.
(b) He failed and had to drop out of college.
(c) He was involved in a hit-and-run accident.
(d) He got a young girl pregnant.
9. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
(a) He wants his son to avoid the same mistakes Jack had made.
(b) He wants to express to his son how sorry he was for Jack.
(c) He wants to expose Jack for what he was.
(d) He wants his son to see the beauty in Jack.
10. What doctrinal concept does Jack Boughton ask John his views on?
(b) The resurrection.
(d) The Second Coming.
11. How old was John when Lila first came to church?
12. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is colored.
(b) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(c) She is dying of tuberculosis.
(d) She is a native American.
13. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Painted molasses on them.
(b) Set them on fire.
(c) Broke them.
(d) Painted them with pink paint.
14. What was Jack Boughton's original name to have been?
(a) Isaiah Jacob.
(b) Theodore Dwight Weld.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Theodore Roosevelt.
15. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The Yalobusha.
(b) The West Nishnabotna.
(c) The East Okichobee.
(d) The Satartia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack call John's wife?
2. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
3. What is John's favorite breakfast?
4. John states that a famous theologian said, "Each of us is an actor on stage and God is the audience." Who was the theologian?
5. What was Boughton watching his children, Jack and Glory, do?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)