|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What river did John and Glory see Jack's daughter playing in?
(a) The East Okichobee.
(b) The West Nishnabotna.
(c) The Satartia.
(d) The Yalobusha.
2. What holiday does John say his grandfather was asked to say a few words during?
(b) New Year's Day.
(c) The Fourth of July.
(d) Memorial Day.
3. John states he is preaching from Genesis 12:14 - 21, concerning what two biblical characters?
(a) Hagar and Ishmael.
(b) Cain and Abel.
(c) Abraham and Issac.
(d) Adam and Eve.
4. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
(b) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(c) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(d) Stole it.
5. In his sermon, what does the grandfather say is left in Gilead?
6. What did John blame for confusion where doctrine is concerned?
(a) Books by sham preachers.
(b) Unconfessed sin in individuals.
(c) False teachings found in gospel tracts.
(d) The radio and television.
7. What did John say was "the last impression I want to have of this world"?
8. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he is an adulterer.
(b) That he will break her heart.
(c) That he cannot look after his family.
(d) That he is an atheist.
9. What is Jack's son's name?
(a) Robert Benton Miller.
(b) Ronald Baxter Mitchell.
(c) Richard Boughton Maxwell.
(d) Robert Boughton Miles.
10. What hymn writer wrote "Grant me on earth what seems Thee best, Till death and Heav'n reveal the rest"?
(a) Isaac Watts.
(b) Ralph Vaughn Williams.
(c) John Ames.
(d) John Philip Sousa.
11. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
(a) He wants his son to see the beauty in Jack.
(b) He wants to expose Jack for what he was.
(c) He wants to express to his son how sorry he was for Jack.
(d) He wants his son to avoid the same mistakes Jack had made.
12. What are the fears that John has about Jack Boughton?
(a) That he will cause his father's early death.
(b) That he will hurt his father, Boughton.
(c) That he will do harm to his son and wife.
(d) That he has desires for Lila.
13. What did Jack steal from John that made him "as angry as I have been in my life"?
(a) A pocketknife.
(b) His reading glasses.
(c) A photograph of Louisa.
(d) His Greek New Testament.
14. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
(a) Set them on fire.
(b) Painted molasses on them.
(c) Painted them with pink paint.
(d) Broke them.
15. What is the name of Jack's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack drops by John's home one evening as he and his family are rocking on the porch. What does Lila bring them?
2. When Jack states that John is in an unconventional marriage himself, what is he referring to?
3. According to John, what does light seem to be a metaphor for?
4. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
5. What job was Jack holding when his wife became pregnant?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)