|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
2. John writes, "I don't want to be old. And I certainly don't want to be _____________ ."
(a) A burden.
3. What does Jack call John's wife?
(c) Mrs. Ames.
4. As a boy, what did Jack do to the John's mailbox?
(a) Filled it with wood shavings and set it on fire.
(b) Stole it.
(c) Smashed it with a baseball bat.
(d) Stuffed a dead chicken in it.
5. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
(a) Because he is afraid of the truth.
(b) Because he doesn't want to hurt his family.
(c) Because people believe him when he does.
(d) Because it comes so easily.
6. What is the revelation about Jack's wife after it is discovered that he has a wife and child?
(a) She is moving in with the Boughtons.
(b) She is colored.
(c) She is dying of tuberculosis.
(d) She is a native American.
7. What did John's son recite to him twice on John's birthday?
(a) The 23rd Psalm.
(b) The Beatitudes.
(c) The Ten Commandments.
(d) The Lord's Prayer.
8. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
(a) God and the American People.
(b) War and the American People.
(c) Fear and the American People.
(d) Loss of the American People.
9. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
10. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
(a) He has never been able to warm to him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He is resentful of him.
(d) He is jealous of him.
11. After Lila began attending church every Sunday, how did that impact his sermon preparation?
(a) He prepared sermons to make her feel guilty about her lifestyle.
(b) He prepared his sermons to please himself.
(c) He prepared sermons that disappointed the other church members.
(d) His sermons were written to please and impress her.
12. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(a) The wrath of God.
(c) The majesty of God.
13. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Yard work.
(d) Electrical work.
14. What object do John's son and Tobias "chuck pebbles" at?
(a) An aluminum pie plate.
(b) A tin can.
(d) A Dodgers cap.
15. What does John say has been one of the great irritations of his life?
(a) Seeing Boughton and his son Jack together.
(b) Growing old and infirm.
(c) Being so much older than his wife.
(d) Jack spending time with his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day does John consider his day of rest?
2. How old is John in 1947?
3. What is the name of Jack's wife?
4. Why does John feel that it is appropriate for his son to read about Jack Boughton, in spite of the fact that it might be betraying pastoral discretion?
5. What theologian does John recommend to Jack to help him with the doctrinal question he raises?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)