|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack say the chief thing his wife's father has against him?
(a) That he will break her heart.
(b) That he cannot look after his family.
(c) That he is an adulterer.
(d) That he is an atheist.
2. How old is Jack Boughton as John writes about him?
3. What does John state has been in Gilead, in addition to saints and martyrs?
(b) Lonely people.
4. Who was it that said Christianity is a life, not a doctrine?
5. What one word does John choose to describe Jack "as he his now"?
6. What is Tobias not allowed to do?
(a) Watch movies or television.
(b) Stay out past 9 p.m.
(c) Play marbles.
(d) Go to the Ames house anymore.
7. How old is John in 1947?
(a) Almost sixty.
(c) Almost eighty.
(d) Almost seventy.
8. What is the topic of the sermon Lila puts by John's bed that was dated June, 1947?
(c) The wrath of God.
(d) The majesty of God.
9. What is the name of Jack's wife?
10. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) A new Bible.
(b) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
(c) New reading glasses.
(d) His Pentecost sermon.
11. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
(a) John Brown.
(b) Harriet Beecher Stowe.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) John Ames.
12. What is the name of the woman who shared Jack's wife's rooms with her?
13. What was the expectation placed on John and Louisa from childhood?
(a) That they were to be married.
(b) That they would move to St. Louis together.
(c) That they would never marry.
(d) That they would have several children.
14. What job did John help the widow with, who had just moved from her farm to a cottage in town?
(a) Yard work.
(c) Electrical work.
15. What confession does John make about Jack as part of a burden of guilt he feels?
(a) He is resentful of him.
(b) He is afraid of him.
(c) He has never been able to warm to him.
(d) He is jealous of him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John describe Boughton's parents?
2. What were Jack Boughton's first words to John after he met him in church the first time?
3. What does John recall he and Boughton did as a prank while he was in seminary?
4. What kind of "little experiment" did John conduct to impress Lila at church?
5. John tells Jack that it is presumptuous to judge the authenticity of anyone's ______________________ .
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)