|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) John Brown's mule.
(b) John Brown's horse.
(c) Union soldiers.
(d) John Brown.
2. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 100.
(b) Psalm 40.
(c) Psalm 133.
(d) Psalm 23.
3. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
(d) Distant fires.
4. How did John's father die?
(a) Of the mumps.
(b) Of pneumonia.
(c) Of tuberculosis.
(d) Of the Spanish flu.
5. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A lead pipe.
(c) A bowie knife.
(d) A Confederate pistol.
6. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(c) Brother Ames.
7. When was John born?
8. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To Topeka.
(b) To Des Moines.
(c) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
(d) To the grave of his grandfather.
9. Who is John's older brother?
10. What was John's father's name?
(a) Jonas Ames.
(b) John Ames.
(c) Joshua Ames.
(d) Jack Ames.
11. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Shoemaker.
(c) Mr. Sawyer.
(d) Mr. Schmidt.
12. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
(b) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(c) In a retreat across a river.
(d) In a fire.
13. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To start a family in a new community.
(b) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
(c) To fight the Confederates.
(d) To plant a church.
14. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
15. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His father.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
2. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
3. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
4. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
5. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)