|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) The foxtrot.
(b) The Lindy Hop.
(c) A waltz.
(d) The quickstep.
2. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) Growing old.
(b) The world at night.
(c) Questions about eternity.
(d) The scrutiny of other people.
3. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(a) Peach pits.
(b) Nylon stockings.
(c) Tin foil.
4. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 133.
(b) Psalm 23.
(c) Psalm 100.
(d) Psalm 40.
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
(a) Stepping on graves.
(b) Being lost.
6. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
(b) St. Louis.
(c) Des Moines.
7. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A penny.
(c) A dime.
(d) A nickel.
8. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus healing the lepers.
(b) Jesus on the cross.
(c) Jesus in chains.
(d) Jesus walking on the water.
9. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
(b) To start a family in a new community.
(c) To plant a church.
(d) To fight the Confederates.
10. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
11. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(b) The Swine flu.
(c) The Spanish flu.
(d) The bird flu.
12. What was John's father's name?
(a) Jack Ames.
(b) Joshua Ames.
(c) John Ames.
(d) Jonas Ames.
13. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
(a) Family deaths.
14. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Presbyterians.
(b) The Baptists.
(c) The Unitarians.
(d) The Methodists.
15. How old is John's son?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
2. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
3. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
4. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
5. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)