|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A shotgun.
(b) A lead pipe.
(c) A Confederate pistol.
(d) A bowie knife.
2. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
3. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(d) Brother Ames.
4. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To the grave of his grandfather.
(b) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
(c) To Des Moines.
(d) To Topeka.
5. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
(a) Distant fires.
6. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
7. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) Jack Boughton.
(b) The narrator himself.
(c) The deacons of the church.
(d) Dan Boughton.
8. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(a) Confederate money.
9. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) From having years of seminary.
(c) By quoting scripture.
(d) By ordering more books than he ever had time to read.
10. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
11. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 40.
(b) Psalm 133.
(c) Psalm 23.
(d) Psalm 100.
12. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(b) Tin foil.
(c) Nylon stockings.
(d) Peach pits.
13. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A wagon trail.
(b) A dirt road.
(c) A small creek.
(d) A major highway.
14. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Curiosity and questioning.
(b) Fear and loathing.
(c) Joy and rest.
(d) Peace and comfort.
15. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(a) Taking long walks.
(c) Preparing meals.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
2. What does John tell his son he regrets?
3. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
4. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
5. How old is John's son?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)