|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) An old table and a pantry.
(b) A woodstove.
(c) A pie safe.
(d) A rocking chair.
2. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
3. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus on the cross.
(b) Jesus healing the lepers.
(c) Jesus in chains.
(d) Jesus walking on the water.
4. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
(a) Not going to look for the soldier.
(b) Lying about the soldier's whereabouts to the authorities.
(c) Not turning his father in.
(d) Agreeing with his father that what he had done was proper.
5. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A penny.
(b) A quarter.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A dime.
6. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Pray for people in their homes.
(b) Feels sorry for himself.
(c) Sings to himself.
(d) Recites poetry.
7. When was John born?
8. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) A waltz.
(b) The quickstep.
(c) The Lindy Hop.
(d) The foxtrot.
9. What does John's father bury and tell him not to dig up?
(a) His grandfather's letters.
(b) His grandfather's shirts.
(c) His grandfather's pistol.
(d) His grandfather's sermons.
10. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
(c) Red wine.
11. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(b) That repairs be made to the church building.
(c) That the church install stained glass windows.
(d) That the church purchase new hymnals.
12. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People laugh at you.
(b) People avoid you.
(c) People change the subject when they see you coming.
(d) People expect you to serve them.
13. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(b) Because he's tired of living in their home.
(c) Because he needs to make a trip.
(d) Because he is old.
14. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 133.
(b) Psalm 100.
(c) Psalm 40.
(d) Psalm 23.
15. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) To his home.
(b) The Presbyterian church.
(c) To the Negro church.
(d) Downtown to walk the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
2. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
3. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
4. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
5. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)