|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Presbyterians.
(b) The Methodists.
(c) The Baptists.
(d) The Unitarians.
2. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(a) The prodigal son.
(c) Doubting Thomas.
3. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Bud Fowler play.
(b) To see Babe Ruth play.
(c) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(d) To see Ty Cobb play.
4. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Shoemaker.
(c) Mr. Schmidt.
(d) Mr. Sawyer.
5. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A Confederate pistol.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A lead pipe.
6. Who was John's first wife?
7. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(a) The Spanish flu.
(c) The Swine flu.
(d) The bird flu.
8. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a retreat across a river.
(b) In a fire.
(c) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(d) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
9. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he needs to make a trip.
(b) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(c) Because he is old.
(d) Because he's tired of living in their home.
10. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(a) Social graces.
11. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
(a) From having years of seminary.
(b) By quoting scripture.
(c) By ordering more books than he ever had time to read.
(d) By reading poetry.
12. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Feels sorry for himself.
(b) Pray for people in their homes.
(c) Sings to himself.
(d) Recites poetry.
13. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(a) Taking long walks.
(d) Preparing meals.
14. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(b) Confederate money.
15. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Letters to his first wife.
(d) Baseball cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John's mother's name?
2. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
3. How old is John's son?
4. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
5. Who put up the swing for John's son?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)