|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Boughton's childhood name?
2. How did John's father die?
(a) Of the mumps.
(b) Of pneumonia.
(c) Of the Spanish flu.
(d) Of tuberculosis.
3. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(b) The prodigal son.
(c) Doubting Thomas.
4. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(d) Ron Paul.
5. John tells a story about a building project in a little abolitionist settlement. What was built?
(a) A church.
(b) A dry goods store.
(c) A tunnel.
(d) A jail.
6. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he was away for long periods of time.
(b) That he lost his hearing.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
7. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(b) Letters to his first wife.
(d) Baseball cards.
8. Who was John's first wife?
9. How did John's first wife die?
(a) From the measles.
(b) From a fall.
(c) In childbirth.
(d) From tuberculosis.
10. How old is John's son?
11. What was John's father's name?
(a) Jonas Ames.
(b) John Ames.
(c) Joshua Ames.
(d) Jack Ames.
12. How many children does Boughton have?
13. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
(a) Boughton was afraid that he might not have another son.
(b) Boughton's wife talked him into it.
(c) Boughton thought naming children after biblical characters was too showy.
(d) Boughton liked the name John.
14. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(a) Confederate money.
15. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(b) Preparing meals.
(d) Taking long walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
2. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
3. When was John born?
4. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
5. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)