|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) The world at night.
(b) The scrutiny of other people.
(c) Growing old.
(d) Questions about eternity.
2. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) A waltz.
(b) The Lindy Hop.
(c) The foxtrot.
(d) The quickstep.
3. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A lead pipe.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A Confederate pistol.
4. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Catching a fastball.
(b) Slamming a garden gate on it.
(c) Having a horse step on it.
(d) Sliding into second base.
5. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
(c) Being lost.
(d) Stepping on graves.
6. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Mary Todd Ames.
(b) Martha Tilson Ames.
(c) Maggie Trudy Ames.
(d) Margaret Todd Ames.
7. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(b) "Our Father in Heaven."
(c) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(d) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
8. When John and his father visited the graveyard, his father said, "I would never have thought this place could be ..."
9. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus walking on the water.
(b) Jesus healing the lepers.
(c) Jesus in chains.
(d) Jesus on the cross.
10. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
(b) Distant fires.
11. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Baptists.
(b) The Unitarians.
(c) The Presbyterians.
(d) The Methodists.
12. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Sings to himself.
(b) Recites poetry.
(c) Pray for people in their homes.
(d) Feels sorry for himself.
13. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(b) The Swine flu.
(c) The Spanish flu.
(d) The bird flu.
14. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
(a) Boughton's wife talked him into it.
(b) Boughton liked the name John.
(c) Boughton thought naming children after biblical characters was too showy.
(d) Boughton was afraid that he might not have another son.
15. How did John's first wife die?
(a) From a fall.
(b) From the measles.
(c) In childbirth.
(d) From tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
2. When was John born?
3. Who is John's older brother?
4. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
5. What does John tell his son he regrets?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)