|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Playing dominos.
(b) Playing catch.
(c) Eating a piece of cake.
(d) Reading the newspaper together.
2. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Shoemaker.
(b) Mr. Schmidt.
(c) Mr. Sawyer.
(d) Mr. Smith
3. When was John born?
4. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
(a) By reading poetry.
(b) By ordering more books than he ever had time to read.
(c) From having years of seminary.
(d) By quoting scripture.
5. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
6. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They found his grandfather's grave.
(b) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(c) They were caught in a storm.
(d) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
7. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
(d) Family deaths.
8. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Babe Ruth play.
(b) To see Ty Cobb play.
(c) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(d) To see Bud Fowler play.
9. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That repairs be made to the church building.
(b) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(c) That the church install stained glass windows.
(d) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
10. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he lost his hearing.
(c) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(d) That he was away for long periods of time.
11. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(b) "Our Father in Heaven."
(c) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(d) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
12. How many children does Boughton have?
13. What is John's son's friend's name?
14. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a retreat across a river.
(b) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(c) In a fire.
(d) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
15. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(b) The bird flu.
(c) The Spanish flu.
(d) The Swine flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
2. What was John's father's name?
3. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
4. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
5. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)