|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A wagon trail.
(b) A small creek.
(c) A major highway.
(d) A dirt road.
2. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
3. How old is John's son?
4. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus healing the lepers.
(b) Jesus on the cross.
(c) Jesus in chains.
(d) Jesus walking on the water.
5. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) The scrutiny of other people.
(b) Growing old.
(c) The world at night.
(d) Questions about eternity.
6. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) The deacons of the church.
(b) The narrator himself.
(c) Jack Boughton.
(d) Dan Boughton.
7. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(b) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(c) That repairs be made to the church building.
(d) That the church install stained glass windows.
8. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) A pie safe.
(b) An old table and a pantry.
(c) A woodstove.
(d) A rocking chair.
9. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
(a) Stepping on graves.
(c) Being lost.
10. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Sliding into second base.
(b) Catching a fastball.
(c) Having a horse step on it.
(d) Slamming a garden gate on it.
11. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Maggie Trudy Ames.
(b) Margaret Todd Ames.
(c) Mary Todd Ames.
(d) Martha Tilson Ames.
12. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Jacob and Esau.
(b) Abraham and Isaac.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Cain and Abel.
13. What was John's father's name?
(a) Jonas Ames.
(b) Joshua Ames.
(c) John Ames.
(d) Jack Ames.
14. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
(a) It exposes raindrops to sunshine.
(b) It gives little boys something to play in.
(c) It is a resource-saving device.
(d) It waters the grass when it does not rain.
15. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Eating a piece of cake.
(b) Playing catch.
(c) Playing dominos.
(d) Reading the newspaper together.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
2. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
3. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
4. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
5. How did John's father die?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)