|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
(a) Family deaths.
2. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
3. Who is John's older brother?
4. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Sawyer.
(c) Mr. Schmidt.
(d) Mr. Shoemaker.
5. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Sliding into second base.
(b) Having a horse step on it.
(c) Catching a fastball.
(d) Slamming a garden gate on it.
6. What was John's father's name?
(a) Jack Ames.
(b) Joshua Ames.
(c) John Ames.
(d) Jonas Ames.
7. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
8. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(b) "Our Father in Heaven."
(c) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(d) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
9. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) The world at night.
(b) The scrutiny of other people.
(c) Questions about eternity.
(d) Growing old.
10. How many children does Boughton have?
11. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(a) Ron Paul.
12. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(a) Doubting Thomas.
(b) The prodigal son.
13. John tells a story about a building project in a little abolitionist settlement. What was built?
(a) A jail.
(b) A dry goods store.
(c) A church.
(d) A tunnel.
14. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(b) Social graces.
15. According to John, visions sometimes only come under what circumstances?
(a) In memory.
(b) In prayer.
(c) In dreams.
(d) In purity of thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
2. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
3. When does John want the son to read his journals?
4. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
5. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)