|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) To his home.
(b) To the Negro church.
(c) Downtown to walk the streets.
(d) The Presbyterian church.
2. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(b) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(c) "Our Father in Heaven."
(d) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
3. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
4. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be in jail.
(b) That the two were being disrespectful.
(c) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
(d) That the two should be coming to church.
5. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(b) Nylon stockings.
(c) Peach pits.
(d) Tin foil.
6. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Methodists.
(b) The Baptists.
(c) The Presbyterians.
(d) The Unitarians.
7. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
(a) It waters the grass when it does not rain.
(b) It is a resource-saving device.
(c) It gives little boys something to play in.
(d) It exposes raindrops to sunshine.
8. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
9. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(b) Be sympathetic.
(c) Understand deep issues.
10. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
11. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A haversack.
(c) A rifle.
(d) Two bloody shirts.
12. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he lost his hearing.
(b) That he is dying.
(c) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(d) That he was away for long periods of time.
13. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
(a) Being lost.
(d) Stepping on graves.
14. Who was John's first wife?
15. How many children does Boughton have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
2. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
3. What does John say was the most thrilling thing that ever happened in his life?
4. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
5. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)