|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be in jail.
(b) That the two should be coming to church.
(c) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
(d) That the two were being disrespectful.
2. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(b) When he was away at seminary.
(c) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(d) When he served in the Army.
3. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
4. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
(a) At the Cross.
(b) Go to Dark Gethsemane.
(c) Holy, Holy, Holy.
(d) Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed.
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(b) Brother Ames.
6. What does John's father bury and tell him not to dig up?
(a) His grandfather's sermons.
(b) His grandfather's pistol.
(c) His grandfather's letters.
(d) His grandfather's shirts.
7. How many children does Boughton have?
8. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(b) In a retreat across a river.
(c) In a fire.
(d) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
9. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They were caught in a storm.
(b) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(c) They found his grandfather's grave.
(d) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
10. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A dirt road.
(b) A wagon trail.
(c) A major highway.
(d) A small creek.
11. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To attract lightning.
(b) To point others to God.
(c) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
(d) To honor ancient church architecture.
12. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) The Presbyterian church.
(b) To the Negro church.
(c) To his home.
(d) Downtown to walk the streets.
13. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Reading the newspaper together.
(b) Eating a piece of cake.
(c) Playing dominos.
(d) Playing catch.
14. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) The scrutiny of other people.
(b) Questions about eternity.
(c) The world at night.
(d) Growing old.
15. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John tell his son he regrets?
2. Who is John's older brother?
3. Who put up the swing for John's son?
4. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
5. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)