|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
2. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
3. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Sliding into second base.
(b) Having a horse step on it.
(c) Catching a fastball.
(d) Slamming a garden gate on it.
4. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(b) To see Bud Fowler play.
(c) To see Ty Cobb play.
(d) To see Babe Ruth play.
5. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
(a) Boughton was afraid that he might not have another son.
(b) Boughton thought naming children after biblical characters was too showy.
(c) Boughton's wife talked him into it.
(d) Boughton liked the name John.
6. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Jacob and Esau.
(b) Adam and Eve.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Abraham and Isaac.
7. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Reading the newspaper together.
(b) Playing catch.
(c) Eating a piece of cake.
(d) Playing dominos.
8. Who was John's first wife?
9. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
(a) "The Lord is in the parlor."
(b) "Don't go in the parlor."
(c) "Your grandfather is having one of his spells."
(d) "Your grandfather is talking to God."
10. How did John's father die?
(a) Of the mumps.
(b) Of tuberculosis.
(c) Of pneumonia.
(d) Of the Spanish flu.
11. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People expect you to serve them.
(b) People change the subject when they see you coming.
(c) People laugh at you.
(d) People avoid you.
12. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Curiosity and questioning.
(b) Joy and rest.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Peace and comfort.
13. What was Boughton's childhood name?
14. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(a) Confederate money.
15. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
2. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
3. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
4. What is Tobias's father's name?
5. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)