|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
(a) "Don't go in the parlor."
(b) "Your grandfather is having one of his spells."
(c) "The Lord is in the parlor."
(d) "Your grandfather is talking to God."
2. How did John's father die?
(a) Of pneumonia.
(b) Of the Spanish flu.
(c) Of tuberculosis.
(d) Of the mumps.
3. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(b) Peach pits.
(c) Tin foil.
(d) Nylon stockings.
4. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) To his home.
(b) The Presbyterian church.
(c) Downtown to walk the streets.
(d) To the Negro church.
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
(c) Brother Ames.
6. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he lost his hearing.
(b) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(c) That he was away for long periods of time.
(d) That he is dying.
7. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To honor ancient church architecture.
(b) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
(c) To point others to God.
(d) To attract lightning.
8. How old is John's son?
9. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Schmidt.
(b) Mr. Sawyer.
(c) Mr. Shoemaker.
(d) Mr. Smith
10. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
(b) Red wine.
11. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(b) Be sympathetic.
(c) Understand deep issues.
12. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(b) When he served in the Army.
(c) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(d) When he was away at seminary.
13. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Reading the newspaper together.
(b) Eating a piece of cake.
(c) Playing catch.
(d) Playing dominos.
14. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
15. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Letters to his first wife.
(c) Baseball cards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was John's first wife?
2. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
3. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
4. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
5. What is John's son's friend's name?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)