|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(a) Understand deep issues.
(b) Be sympathetic.
2. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
(a) Not turning his father in.
(b) Agreeing with his father that what he had done was proper.
(c) Lying about the soldier's whereabouts to the authorities.
(d) Not going to look for the soldier.
3. How many children does Boughton have?
4. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
(a) The scrutiny of other people.
(b) The world at night.
(c) Growing old.
(d) Questions about eternity.
5. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To the grave of his grandfather.
(b) To Des Moines.
(c) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
(d) To Topeka.
6. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Eating a piece of cake.
(b) Playing catch.
(c) Playing dominos.
(d) Reading the newspaper together.
7. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
8. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
9. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) Dan Boughton.
(b) Jack Boughton.
(c) The narrator himself.
(d) The deacons of the church.
10. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(b) Preparing meals.
(d) Taking long walks.
11. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(a) The prodigal son.
(d) Doubting Thomas.
12. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Jacob and Esau.
(b) Abraham and Isaac.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Cain and Abel.
13. How old is John's son?
14. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
(a) He teaches at a seminary.
(b) He is a newspaper reporter.
(c) He runs a hospital for the destitute in Mississippi.
(d) He is a sea captain.
15. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(d) Ron Paul.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
2. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
3. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
4. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
5. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)