|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
(c) St. Louis.
(d) Des Moines.
2. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A piece of sausage.
(b) A cookie.
(c) A biscuit.
(d) A loaf of bread.
3. How did John break his finger when he was 22?
(a) Catching a fastball.
(b) Slamming a garden gate on it.
(c) Having a horse step on it.
(d) Sliding into second base.
4. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
5. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) The Presbyterian church.
(b) To the Negro church.
(c) To his home.
(d) Downtown to walk the streets.
6. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
7. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Peace and comfort.
(b) Joy and rest.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Curiosity and questioning.
8. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A wagon trail.
(b) A dirt road.
(c) A major highway.
(d) A small creek.
9. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(a) Nylon stockings.
(c) Peach pits.
(d) Tin foil.
10. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
11. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(b) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(c) When he served in the Army.
(d) When he was away at seminary.
12. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church install stained glass windows.
(b) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(c) That repairs be made to the church building.
(d) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
13. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Playing catch.
(b) Playing dominos.
(c) Reading the newspaper together.
(d) Eating a piece of cake.
14. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
(d) Red wine.
15. When does John want the son to read his journals?
(a) When the narrator has moved away.
(b) When the son gets married.
(c) When the narrator is dead.
(d) When the son has a son of his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
2. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
3. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
4. Why did John feel that he would be a minister?
5. How did John get a great reputation for wisdom?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)