|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What biblical character does John compare Jack to?
(b) Doubting Thomas.
(d) The prodigal son.
2. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(c) Ron Paul.
3. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be in jail.
(b) That the two were being disrespectful.
(c) That the two should be coming to church.
(d) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
4. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he is old.
(b) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(c) Because he's tired of living in their home.
(d) Because he needs to make a trip.
5. Who was John's first wife?
6. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
(b) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(c) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(d) "Our Father in Heaven."
7. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(b) Taking long walks.
(c) Preparing meals.
8. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(b) They were caught in a storm.
(c) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
(d) They found his grandfather's grave.
9. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
10. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
(c) Red wine.
11. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus on the cross.
(b) Jesus walking on the water.
(c) Jesus healing the lepers.
(d) Jesus in chains.
12. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Baseball cards.
(c) Letters to his first wife.
13. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
(a) He knows John's grandfather has died.
(b) He knows John's grandfather is a pacifist.
(c) He knows about John's grandfather's involvement with John Brown.
(d) He knows John's grandfather is a deserter.
14. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
15. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Babe Ruth play.
(b) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(c) To see Ty Cobb play.
(d) To see Bud Fowler play.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
2. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
3. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
4. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
5. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)