|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Boughton name his son Jack after John?
(a) Boughton was afraid that he might not have another son.
(b) Boughton's wife talked him into it.
(c) Boughton liked the name John.
(d) Boughton thought naming children after biblical characters was too showy.
2. How did John's first wife die?
(a) From a fall.
(b) From the measles.
(c) In childbirth.
(d) From tuberculosis.
3. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "Our Father in Heaven."
(b) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(c) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(d) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
4. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
(a) A rooster.
(b) A pointing finger.
(c) A cross.
(d) An arrow.
5. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A penny.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A dime.
6. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Letters to his first wife.
(c) Baseball cards.
7. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Playing dominos.
(b) Reading the newspaper together.
(c) Playing catch.
(d) Eating a piece of cake.
8. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Adam and Eve.
(b) Abraham and Isaac.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Jacob and Esau.
9. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two were being disrespectful.
(b) That the two should be in jail.
(c) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
(d) That the two should be coming to church.
10. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
(a) Not turning his father in.
(b) Agreeing with his father that what he had done was proper.
(c) Not going to look for the soldier.
(d) Lying about the soldier's whereabouts to the authorities.
11. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(d) Confederate money.
12. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a fire.
(b) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
(c) In a retreat across a river.
(d) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
13. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
14. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Bud Fowler play.
(b) To see Ty Cobb play.
(c) To see Babe Ruth play.
(d) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
15. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To Des Moines.
(b) To Topeka.
(c) To the grave of his grandfather.
(d) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
2. How did John's father die?
3. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
4. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
5. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)