|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John tells a story about a building project in a little abolitionist settlement. What was built?
(a) A tunnel.
(b) A dry goods store.
(c) A church.
(d) A jail.
2. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
3. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(b) To see Babe Ruth play.
(c) To see Ty Cobb play.
(d) To see Bud Fowler play.
4. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
(a) He is a newspaper reporter.
(b) He runs a hospital for the destitute in Mississippi.
(c) He is a sea captain.
(d) He teaches at a seminary.
5. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(b) When he was away at seminary.
(c) When he served in the Army.
(d) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
6. Who is John's older brother?
7. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church install stained glass windows.
(b) That repairs be made to the church building.
(c) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(d) That the church purchase new hymnals.
8. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
9. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A haversack.
(d) Two bloody shirts.
10. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
(b) Red wine.
11. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People avoid you.
(b) People laugh at you.
(c) People change the subject when they see you coming.
(d) People expect you to serve them.
12. If John lives, who does he say he will vote for?
(b) Ron Paul.
13. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Unitarians.
(b) The Presbyterians.
(c) The Baptists.
(d) The Methodists.
14. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They were caught in a storm.
(b) They found his grandfather's grave.
(c) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(d) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
15. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(a) Confederate money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vision did John's grandfather have?
2. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
3. What does John tell his son he regrets?
4. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
5. What did Jack Boughton call John?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)