|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A nickel.
(b) A dime.
(c) A penny.
(d) A quarter.
2. What does John find Jack Boughton and his son doing when he comes home for lunch?
(a) Eating a piece of cake.
(b) Playing dominos.
(c) Reading the newspaper together.
(d) Playing catch.
3. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
(a) Gastro-intestinal reflux disease.
(b) Congestive heart failure.
(c) Angina pectoris.
(d) Pancreatic cancer.
4. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To honor ancient church architecture.
(b) To point others to God.
(c) To attract lightning.
(d) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
5. How did John's father die?
(a) Of tuberculosis.
(b) Of the mumps.
(c) Of pneumonia.
(d) Of the Spanish flu.
6. When does John want the son to read his journals?
(a) When the son has a son of his own.
(b) When the narrator is dead.
(c) When the narrator has moved away.
(d) When the son gets married.
7. What was John's father's name?
(a) John Ames.
(b) Jonas Ames.
(c) Jack Ames.
(d) Joshua Ames.
8. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(a) Taking long walks.
(b) Preparing meals.
9. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 23.
(b) Psalm 100.
(c) Psalm 133.
(d) Psalm 40.
10. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(b) Social graces.
11. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Sawyer.
(c) Mr. Schmidt.
(d) Mr. Shoemaker.
12. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) An old table and a pantry.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A woodstove.
(d) A pie safe.
13. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he lost his hearing.
(b) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
(c) That he is dying.
(d) That he was away for long periods of time.
14. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(b) That the church install stained glass windows.
(c) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(d) That repairs be made to the church building.
15. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To start a family in a new community.
(b) To fight the Confederates.
(c) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
(d) To plant a church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
2. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
3. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
4. According to John, visions sometimes only come under what circumstances?
5. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)