|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to John, visions sometimes only come under what circumstances?
(a) In dreams.
(b) In prayer.
(c) In memory.
(d) In purity of thought.
2. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To attract lightning.
(b) To honor ancient church architecture.
(c) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
(d) To point others to God.
3. How did John's first wife die?
(a) From the measles.
(b) In childbirth.
(c) From a fall.
(d) From tuberculosis.
4. What vision did John's grandfather have?
(a) Jesus walking on the water.
(b) Jesus on the cross.
(c) Jesus healing the lepers.
(d) Jesus in chains.
5. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A loaf of bread.
(b) A piece of sausage.
(c) A cookie.
(d) A biscuit.
6. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be in jail.
(b) That the two were being disrespectful.
(c) That the two should be coming to church.
(d) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
7. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
8. What popular book does Lila "melt into"?
(a) Dust Be My Destiny.
(b) Anne of Green Gables.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
9. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
(a) They were caught in a storm.
(b) They were shot at by an irate farmer.
(c) They came to the Maine lady's farmhouse.
(d) They found his grandfather's grave.
10. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Abraham and Isaac.
(b) Cain and Abel.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Jacob and Esau.
11. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(b) Confederate money.
12. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Baptists.
(b) The Presbyterians.
(c) The Unitarians.
(d) The Methodists.
13. Who put up the swing for John's son?
(a) The deacons of the church.
(b) The narrator himself.
(c) Dan Boughton.
(d) Jack Boughton.
14. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When he was away at seminary.
(b) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(c) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(d) When he served in the Army.
15. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A haversack.
(c) Two bloody shirts.
(d) A rifle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
2. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
3. Who is John's older brother?
4. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
5. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)