|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
(a) People change the subject when they see you coming.
(b) People expect you to serve them.
(c) People avoid you.
(d) People laugh at you.
2. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be coming to church.
(b) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
(c) That the two should be in jail.
(d) That the two were being disrespectful.
3. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A dime.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A penny.
4. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Adam and Eve.
(b) Abraham and Isaac.
(c) Cain and Abel.
(d) Jacob and Esau.
5. When was John born?
6. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
(a) The bird flu.
(c) The Swine flu.
(d) The Spanish flu.
7. What was Boughton's childhood name?
8. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
(a) When he was away at seminary.
(b) When his family lived for a while in Florida.
(c) When he served as a missionary in Africa.
(d) When he served in the Army.
9. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) An old table and a pantry.
(b) A rocking chair.
(c) A pie safe.
(d) A woodstove.
10. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) The Lindy Hop.
(b) The quickstep.
(c) A waltz.
(d) The foxtrot.
11. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
(b) To start a family in a new community.
(c) To plant a church.
(d) To fight the Confederates.
12. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Unitarians.
(b) The Baptists.
(c) The Presbyterians.
(d) The Methodists.
13. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
(a) "Remember the Sabbath Day."
(b) "Our Father in Heaven."
(c) "The Lord is My Shepherd."
(d) "The Lord Our God Is a Purifying Fire."
14. What does the pathway in the abolitionist town become?
(a) A small creek.
(b) A dirt road.
(c) A wagon trail.
(d) A major highway.
15. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
(a) It exposes raindrops to sunshine.
(b) It is a resource-saving device.
(c) It gives little boys something to play in.
(d) It waters the grass when it does not rain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's son's friend's name?
2. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
3. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
4. What is Tobias's father's name?
5. What was John's mother's name?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)