|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does John want the son to read his journals?
(a) When the narrator is dead.
(b) When the son has a son of his own.
(c) When the son gets married.
(d) When the narrator has moved away.
2. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
3. Why did John feel that he would be a minister?
(a) It was the only life he knew.
(b) His mother forced him into the ministry.
(c) He was compelled by what he had learned through reading the bible.
(d) He knew he would fail at anything else.
4. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
(b) Confederate money.
5. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) Union soldiers.
(b) John Brown's mule.
(c) John Brown.
(d) John Brown's horse.
6. What kind of flowers does John's son and wife bring him?
7. What is John's son's friend's name?
8. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(b) Letters to his first wife.
(d) Baseball cards.
9. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) A rocking chair.
(b) A woodstove.
(c) A pie safe.
(d) An old table and a pantry.
10. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
(c) Des Moines.
(d) St. Louis.
11. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Ty Cobb play.
(b) To see Babe Ruth play.
(c) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(d) To see Bud Fowler play.
12. What does the Union soldier indicate he knows to John's father?
(a) He knows John's grandfather is a deserter.
(b) He knows John's grandfather is a pacifist.
(c) He knows John's grandfather has died.
(d) He knows about John's grandfather's involvement with John Brown.
13. According to John, why is a lawn sprinkler a magnificent invention?
(a) It exposes raindrops to sunshine.
(b) It gives little boys something to play in.
(c) It waters the grass when it does not rain.
(d) It is a resource-saving device.
14. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Peace and comfort.
(b) Fear and loathing.
(c) Curiosity and questioning.
(d) Joy and rest.
15. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
(a) A rooster.
(b) An arrow.
(c) A cross.
(d) A pointing finger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was John's father's name?
2. What causes the death of many soldiers and others all across the country at the end of WWI?
3. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
4. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
5. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)