|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did John's father take him when he was twelve?
(a) To Des Moines.
(b) To Topeka.
(c) To the family's ancestral home in Maine.
(d) To the grave of his grandfather.
2. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(b) To see Bud Fowler play.
(c) To see Babe Ruth play.
(d) To see Ty Cobb play.
3. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
(a) Angina pectoris.
(b) Gastro-intestinal reflux disease.
(c) Pancreatic cancer.
(d) Congestive heart failure.
4. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
5. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(a) Be sympathetic.
(b) Understand deep issues.
6. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A haversack.
(b) A bowie knife.
(c) A rifle.
(d) Two bloody shirts.
7. What is John's son's friend's name?
8. Who was John's first wife?
9. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A quarter.
(b) A penny.
(c) A nickel.
(d) A dime.
10. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he needs to make a trip.
(b) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(c) Because he's tired of living in their home.
(d) Because he is old.
11. John states that "there were barrels on the street corners" so that contributions could be made to the war effort. What is placed in these barrels?
(b) Tin foil.
(c) Peach pits.
(d) Nylon stockings.
12. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Peace and comfort.
(b) Curiosity and questioning.
(c) Fear and loathing.
(d) Joy and rest.
13. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A cookie.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) A loaf of bread.
(d) A piece of sausage.
14. Why did John feel that he would be a minister?
(a) He knew he would fail at anything else.
(b) He was compelled by what he had learned through reading the bible.
(c) It was the only life he knew.
(d) His mother forced him into the ministry.
15. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Baseball cards.
(b) Letters to his first wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does John feel that his son is very much like?
2. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
3. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
4. What does John state happened the next day after he heard the story about the wounded Union soldier from his father?
5. What does John say "you never quite get used to"?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)