|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That repairs be made to the church building.
(b) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(c) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(d) That the church install stained glass windows.
2. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(a) Social graces.
3. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
(a) Not going to look for the soldier.
(b) Lying about the soldier's whereabouts to the authorities.
(c) Not turning his father in.
(d) Agreeing with his father that what he had done was proper.
4. What was Boughton's childhood name?
5. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Smith
(b) Mr. Sawyer.
(c) Mr. Schmidt.
(d) Mr. Shoemaker.
6. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To fight the Confederates.
(b) To plant a church.
(c) To start a family in a new community.
(d) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
7. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
(a) Abraham and Isaac.
(b) Jacob and Esau.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Cain and Abel.
8. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) The foxtrot.
(b) A waltz.
(c) The Lindy Hop.
(d) The quickstep.
9. What is the shape of the weather vane on the steeple of John's church?
(a) A pointing finger.
(b) A rooster.
(c) An arrow.
(d) A cross.
10. John's grandfather walked out of his father's church during a sermon. Where did the grandfather go?
(a) The Presbyterian church.
(b) To the Negro church.
(c) Downtown to walk the streets.
(d) To his home.
11. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
(a) Pancreatic cancer.
(b) Angina pectoris.
(c) Congestive heart failure.
(d) Gastro-intestinal reflux disease.
12. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A bowie knife.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A haversack.
(d) Two bloody shirts.
13. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
(a) He runs a hospital for the destitute in Mississippi.
(b) He teaches at a seminary.
(c) He is a newspaper reporter.
(d) He is a sea captain.
14. What do the old men in John's church call his son?
15. What did John say he dreamed about after his visit to the graveyard?
(b) Stepping on graves.
(d) Being lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
2. When John and his father visited the graveyard, his father said, "I would never have thought this place could be ..."
3. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
4. John tells a story about a building project in a little abolitionist settlement. What was built?
5. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)