|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In John's house, which he has lived in since being a small boy, what is in the home that was the same from his childhood?
(a) A pie safe.
(b) An old table and a pantry.
(c) A woodstove.
(d) A rocking chair.
2. What was John's mother's name?
(a) Mary Todd Ames.
(b) Maggie Trudy Ames.
(c) Margaret Todd Ames.
(d) Martha Tilson Ames.
3. What was John's father's name?
(a) John Ames.
(b) Joshua Ames.
(c) Jonas Ames.
(d) Jack Ames.
4. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(d) Social graces.
5. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
(a) To honor ancient church architecture.
(b) To assure that the church was the tallest structure in town.
(c) To point others to God.
(d) To attract lightning.
6. What does John tell his son he regrets?
(a) That he is dying.
(b) That he was away for long periods of time.
(c) That he lost his hearing.
(d) The hard times his son and his mother must have gone through.
7. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
8. What does John do as he walks down the streets of his town at one or two a.m.?
(a) Sings to himself.
(b) Pray for people in their homes.
(c) Recites poetry.
(d) Feels sorry for himself.
9. What is Theodore Dwight Weld Boughton's job?
(a) He is a newspaper reporter.
(b) He teaches at a seminary.
(c) He runs a hospital for the destitute in Mississippi.
(d) He is a sea captain.
10. What was Boughton's childhood name?
11. What did John's father give him every time he learned five scripture verses and could repeat them without a mistake?
(a) A penny.
(b) A nickel.
(c) A quarter.
(d) A dime.
12. How old is John's son?
13. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
(b) In a retreat across a river.
(c) In a fire.
(d) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
14. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) Union soldiers.
(b) John Brown's horse.
(c) John Brown's mule.
(d) John Brown.
15. What are John's feelings about the two young men who worked at the garage as he passed them on the street?
(a) That the two should be coming to church.
(b) That the two were being disrespectful.
(c) That the two should be in jail.
(d) That the way they laughed seemed beautiful to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Growing up, John was ____________________ than most of his childhood friends, saying the trait "ran in his family."
2. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
3. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
4. What does John say is the strangest thing about "this life, about being in ministry"?
5. What two biblical characters does John's father compare the two of them to on their journey to Kansas?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)