|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(b) Social graces.
2. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(b) Letters to his first wife.
(c) Baseball cards.
3. What is Tobias's father's name?
(a) Mr. Schmidt.
(b) Mr. Smith
(c) Mr. Shoemaker.
(d) Mr. Sawyer.
4. What letter does Boughton think should be excluded from the alphabet?
5. Why did John's grandfather take him to Des Moines?
(a) To see Bud Fowler play.
(b) To see Shoeless Joe Jackson play.
(c) To see Babe Ruth play.
(d) To see Ty Cobb play.
6. Who was John's first wife?
7. What does Edward quote as they play catch?
(a) Psalm 100.
(b) Psalm 40.
(c) Psalm 23.
(d) Psalm 133.
8. In Gilead, what denomination attracted new people and young people after the Civil War?
(a) The Unitarians.
(b) The Methodists.
(c) The Presbyterians.
(d) The Baptists.
9. How did John's father die?
(a) Of tuberculosis.
(b) Of the Spanish flu.
(c) Of pneumonia.
(d) Of the mumps.
10. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(b) That repairs be made to the church building.
(c) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(d) That the church install stained glass windows.
11. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
(a) Alas, and Did My Savior Bleed.
(b) Holy, Holy, Holy.
(c) At the Cross.
(d) Go to Dark Gethsemane.
12. Who is John's older brother?
13. Why does John Ames tell his son that he might be gone sometime?
(a) Because he's tired of living in their home.
(b) Because he needs to make a trip.
(c) Because he has to go out of town on business.
(d) Because he is old.
14. What is the color of John's son's favorite shirt?
15. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
(a) To plant a church.
(b) To fight the Confederates.
(c) To start a family in a new community.
(d) To help Free Soilers establish the right to vote.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does John want the son to read his journals?
2. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
3. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
4. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
5. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)