|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did John lose his Greek Testament?
(a) In a fire.
(b) It was stolen by a Confederate officer.
(c) In a retreat across a river.
(d) It was inadvertantly left behind at a camp.
2. What do John and Boughton see from the porch after spending an evening going over their texts?
(c) Distant fires.
3. What is the name of the Ames family cat?
4. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Curiosity and questioning.
(b) Fear and loathing.
(c) Peace and comfort.
(d) Joy and rest.
5. According to John, visions sometimes only come under what circumstances?
(a) In purity of thought.
(b) In memory.
(c) In prayer.
(d) In dreams.
6. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A cookie.
(b) A biscuit.
(c) A piece of sausage.
(d) A loaf of bread.
7. What ailment does John have, according to his doctor?
(a) Congestive heart failure.
(b) Angina pectoris.
(c) Pancreatic cancer.
(d) Gastro-intestinal reflux disease.
8. When John was a boy, a farmer was murdered with what weapon?
(a) A lead pipe.
(b) A shotgun.
(c) A Confederate pistol.
(d) A bowie knife.
9. When John would come home and his grandfather was in the house in the midst of a vision, what would his mother tell him?
(a) "The Lord is in the parlor."
(b) "Don't go in the parlor."
(c) "Your grandfather is talking to God."
(d) "Your grandfather is having one of his spells."
10. When John's father sees his grandfather after his encounter with the Union soldier, what is the grandfather carrying under his arm?
(a) A haversack.
(b) A rifle.
(c) Two bloody shirts.
(d) A bowie knife.
11. When John met with the church trustees, what suggestions from him did they ignore?
(a) That the church purchase new hymnals.
(b) That repairs be made to the church building.
(c) That the church be sold to the Lutherans.
(d) That the church install stained glass windows.
12. What music is playing on the radio that causes John to want to dance?
(a) The Lindy Hop.
(b) The quickstep.
(c) The foxtrot.
(d) A waltz.
13. John writes to his son, saying, "One great benefit of a religious vocation is that it helps you ..."
(a) Understand deep issues.
(d) Be sympathetic.
14. What does John have stored in boxes upstairs in his house?
(a) Baseball cards.
(d) Letters to his first wife.
15. What relieved Lila when she found out ________________ was not the same as work on Sundays?
(a) Preparing meals.
(c) Taking long walks.
Short Answer Questions
1. When John was a child, what did he think the purpose of steeples were?
2. When was the only time that John did not live in Gilead?
3. What was John's mother's name?
4. Where does Boughton's son come from before visiting his home?
5. What does the doctor tell John to take a shot of every day?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)