|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 15 (pages 233-247).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trait does Jack possess that John states is almost a curse to him?
(a) Jack's ability to see through people.
(b) Jack's inability to tell the truth.
(c) Jack's judgmental tendencies.
(d) Jack's attitude toward the rest of his family.
2. When does John want the son to read his journals?
(a) When the son gets married.
(b) When the son has a son of his own.
(c) When the narrator is dead.
(d) When the narrator has moved away.
3. What does John's wife give him at breakfast on his birthday, wrapped in tissue paper?
(a) His Pentecost sermon.
(b) A new Bible.
(c) New reading glasses.
(d) The Trail of the Lonesome Pine.
4. John states that his wife is "an excellent woman, but unschooled in _____________________ "
(b) Social graces.
5. Why does John's father say "I never did forgive myself" after the narrator's grandfather told him about shooting the Union soldier?
(a) Lying about the soldier's whereabouts to the authorities.
(b) Not turning his father in.
(c) Agreeing with his father that what he had done was proper.
(d) Not going to look for the soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What song does John sing as he rocked his son?
2. Who does Jack's wife's father believe Jack is descended from?
3. What does Jack say he turns to for solace?
4. What is the name of the article John reads in the Ladies' Home Journal?
5. What did Jack do to the John's front steps?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)