|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 10 (pages 160-173).
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John's father offer him in the ruins of the burned-down church?
(a) A piece of sausage.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A cookie.
(d) A biscuit.
2. What is the cause of John's "own dark time?"
(c) Family deaths.
3. What does John state he remembers instead of grief and loneliness?
(a) Peace and comfort.
(b) Joy and rest.
(c) Curiosity and questioning.
(d) Fear and loathing.
4. While wandering in Kansas, what does John's father tell him that he saw coming through the doors of his father's church?
(a) John Brown's mule.
(b) John Brown's horse.
(c) John Brown.
(d) Union soldiers.
5. What day does John consider his day of rest?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jack Boughton call John?
2. Why had John's grandfather come to Kansas from Maine?
3. Why does Jack tell John that he (Jack) lies a lot?
4. What did the tapestry in John's grandfather's church have written on it?
5. What did John and his father trade with the widow for her two boiled eggs and two boiled potatoes?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)