Section 1 (pages 1-8)
* The narrator, John Ames, states that he is dying of a heart condition.
* John explains that he was married and bore a son late in life.
* He is a minister like his father and his grandfather, and it is the only life he knows.
* John recalls his pet cat playing with bubbles, helping his son get ready for school, and watching his son try to put together a broken crayon.
* He writes of an encounter with two young men, garage workers, and how he sees the experience as beautiful.
* He traces his ancestry back three generations. His father and grandfather were also named John.
Section 2 (pages 9-37)
* John recounts how he and his father journeyed to Kansas to find his grandfather's grave.
* John recalls his first marriage to a woman named Louisa, and how she and their daughter Rebecca died in childbirth.
* He recalls baptizing...
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)