* The book begins with the author on a two week vacation at the beach.
* The sea is chosen because Anne seeks to free herself from the demands of city life.
* While she deeply desires to maintain her role as wife, mother, artist and public figure, such a lifestyle begins to become all pervasive and takes a toll on the author's spirit.
* Having vacationed at the beach many times before, the author is surprised how easy it is to become involved in life and forget the rhythm and the pace of the sea.
* Unlike the city, there is no rush to accomplish the myriad tasks present in every day life. Residing by the sea opens a different world with different cares and philosophies.
* Anne speaks of ambitions to complete an array of simple and pleasurable tasks.
* Every day she travels to the beach with a faded straw...
This section contains 3,318 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)