Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is "Goofie Gus"?
2. What does Melorra do for a living?
3. What sarcastic remark does Rebecca make about John Crowley?
4. In Melorra's commercial, what does she say about voting?
5. What type of message does Enid leave on Bob Skeetes' answering machine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rebecca feel betrayed when she learns Enid plans to go to college?
2. What is Rebecca's response to Enid's suggestion that they become lesbians?
3. How does Enid respond to Rebecca's teasing regarding John Ellis?
4. When Enid goes to Josh's apartment alone, what happens?
5. Why is Enid ambivalent on politics?
6. What did Enid think about while having sex with Alan Weinstein?
7. Why does Enid wear a mask in Chapter Four?
8. What does Enid do at the end of "Ghost World"?
9. Why does Rebecca begin to get upset when Enid starts incorporating vocabulary words into her speech patterns?
10. Why did Enid give the nickname "Norman" to the man always waiting at the bus stop?
Essay Topic 1
When Enid hosts a garage sale, she is unwilling to sell one of her favorite childhood toys to a man she doesn't like but is quick to abandon the sale, leaving everything at risk for theft.
1) Why was Enid unwilling to sell "Goofie Gus"?
2) How might the struggle against this emotional detachment result in abandoning the sale?
3) Why does Enid run home at the end of the day, hoping nothing has been stolen from her sale?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay examining the deterioration of the friendship between Rebecca and Enid. Use the following questions as prompts.
1) At the beginning of "Ghost World", what was the relationship between Rebecca and Enid?
2) What were some factors that drove Rebecca and Enid apart?
3) Why did Rebecca and Enid choose to stop being friends, in spite of their history?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Three, Enid complains that guys never ask her or Rebecca out. Write an essay examining the reasons Enid and Rebecca may not be attracting these invitations, citing examples from the text.
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)