|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
2. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
3. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
4. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
5. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
2. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
3. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
4. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
5. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
6. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
7. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
8. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
9. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
10. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Central Intelligence Agency shape the jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Taliban begin in 1994 and evolve?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)