|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
2. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
3. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
4. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
5. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
2. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
3. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
4. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
5. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
6. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
7. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
8. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
9. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
10. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Hekmatyar-Tanai coup attempt? Does the evidence indicate bin Laden's involvement was as a semi-official Saudi intelligence liaison or an independent?
Essay Topic 2
What was the new crop of terrorists that American intelligence recognized had emerged by mid-1995?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Hamburg cell evolve?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)