|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
2. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
3. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
4. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
5. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
2. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
3. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
4. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
5. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
6. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
7. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
8. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
9. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
10. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 2
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Central Intelligence Agency shape the jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)