|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
2. Chapter 12 revealed what about the State Department and CIA in 1991?
3. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
4. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
5. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
2. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
3. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
4. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
5. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
6. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
7. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
8. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
9. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
10. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Hekmatyar-Tanai coup attempt? Does the evidence indicate bin Laden's involvement was as a semi-official Saudi intelligence liaison or an independent?
Essay Topic 3
The book's title specifies the span of time in which the Ghost Wars transpired, but who were the ghosts and what were these conflicts referenced?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)