|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
2. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
3. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
4. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
5. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
2. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
3. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
4. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
5. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
6. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
7. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
8. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
9. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
10. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 2
What was the new secret two-track policy Peter Tomsen finalized toward the Afghan war subsequent to the Soviet troop withdrawal?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Central Intelligence Agency shape the jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)