|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
2. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
3. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
4. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
5. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
2. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
3. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
4. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
5. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
6. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
7. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
8. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
9. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
10. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 2
What were the methods and means employed by this CIA to disrupt, capture, and kill Osama bin Laden subsequent to his return to Afghanistan in the late 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)