|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
2. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
3. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
4. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
5. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
2. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
3. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
4. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
5. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
6. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
7. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
8. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
9. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
10. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Cull referring to in Chapter 7 when he quoted Frank Anderson as having said, "The Reagan administration had attracted to Washington 'an awful lot of Soldier of Fortune readers'"?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Hamburg cell evolve?
Essay Topic 3
What were the methods and means employed by this CIA to disrupt, capture, and kill Osama bin Laden subsequent to his return to Afghanistan in the late 1990s?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)