|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
2. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
3. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
4. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
5. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
2. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
3. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
4. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
5. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
6. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
7. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
8. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
9. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
10. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book's title specifies the span of time in which the Ghost Wars transpired, but who were the ghosts and what were these conflicts referenced?
Essay Topic 2
What was the new secret two-track policy Peter Tomsen finalized toward the Afghan war subsequent to the Soviet troop withdrawal?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Hamburg cell evolve?
This section contains 1,026 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)