|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
2. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
3. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
4. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
5. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
2. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
3. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
4. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
5. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
6. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
7. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
8. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
9. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
10. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Hekmatyar-Tanai coup attempt? Does the evidence indicate bin Laden's involvement was as a semi-official Saudi intelligence liaison or an independent?
Essay Topic 3
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)