|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
2. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
3. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
4. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
5. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
2. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
3. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
4. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
5. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
6. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
7. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
8. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
9. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
10. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book's title specifies the span of time in which the Ghost Wars transpired, but who were the ghosts and what were these conflicts referenced?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)