|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
2. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
3. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
4. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
5. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
Short Essay Questions
1. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
2. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
3. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
4. How did the American ambassador to Pakistan in 1996 believe that nation would evolve?
5. By early 1999, what was Tenet's view about the possibility bin Laden might again attack America?
6. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
7. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
8. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
9. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
10. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
Essay Topic 2
What was the new secret two-track policy Peter Tomsen finalized toward the Afghan war subsequent to the Soviet troop withdrawal?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Central Intelligence Agency shape the jihad against the Soviets in Afghanistan in the 1980s?
This section contains 1,520 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)