|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
2. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
3. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
4. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
5. Chapter 12 revealed what about the State Department and CIA in 1991?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
2. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
3. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
4. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
5. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
6. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
7. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
8. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
9. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
10. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
Essay Topic 2
How did the Taliban begin in 1994 and evolve?
Essay Topic 3
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)