|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Massoud live from the age of 11?
2. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
3. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
4. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
5. How was President Zia killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
2. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
3. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
4. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
5. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
6. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
7. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
8. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
9. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
10. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book's title specifies the span of time in which the Ghost Wars transpired, but who were the ghosts and what were these conflicts referenced?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Pakistan become a far different setting in which to conduct covert action subsequent to the anti-Soviet jihad?
Essay Topic 3
What prompted Arab men to follow Cofer Black toward the end of his tour in Khartoum? What was the outcome?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)