|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
2. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
3. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
4. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
5. What was the Taliban trying to clear Afghanistan of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
2. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
3. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
4. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
5. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
6. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
7. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
8. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
9. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
10. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
Essay Topic 2
What were the methods and means employed by this CIA to disrupt, capture, and kill Osama bin Laden subsequent to his return to Afghanistan in the late 1990s?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)