|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
2. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
3. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
4. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
5. Saudi intelligence used what type of charities to funnel money to Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
2. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
3. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
4. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
5. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
6. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
7. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
8. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
9. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
10. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was author Steve Coll referring to when he noted an adviser to Ahmed Shah Massoud recalled a roughly translated Afghan phrase that went, "'Your mouth cannot be sweet when you talk about honey; you must have honey in your mouth'"?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 3
What was the new crop of terrorists that American intelligence recognized had emerged by mid-1995?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)