|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
2. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
3. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
4. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
5. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
2. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
3. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
4. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
5. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
6. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
7. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
8. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
9. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
10. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
Essay Topic 2
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 3
What prompted Arab men to follow Cofer Black toward the end of his tour in Khartoum? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)