Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
2. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
3. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
4. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
5. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
2. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
3. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
4. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
5. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
6. How was Unocal introduced?
7. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
8. What was part of the problem when Bush came into office in 2001?
9. What were the main points Massoud stressed to Otilie English in early 2001?
10. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
Essay Topic 1
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
How has bin Laden's security consciousness hindered the CIA goal of capturing or killing him?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)