|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
2. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
3. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
4. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
5. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
2. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
3. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
4. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
5. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
6. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
7. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
8. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
9. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
10. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 2
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
Essay Topic 3
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)