|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
2. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
3. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
4. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
5. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
2. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
3. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
4. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
5. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
6. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in <i>Ghost Wars</i>?
7. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
8. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
9. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
10. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
Essay Topic 2
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 3
What prompted Arab men to follow Cofer Black toward the end of his tour in Khartoum? What was the outcome?
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)