|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
2. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
3. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
4. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
5. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
2. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
3. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
4. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
5. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
6. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
7. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
8. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
9. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
10. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
Essay Topic 2
What was noteworthy about the use of Predator reconnaissance drones?
Essay Topic 3
The book's title specifies the span of time in which the Ghost Wars transpired, but who were the ghosts and what were these conflicts referenced?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)