|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
2. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
3. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
4. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
5. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
Short Essay Questions
1. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
2. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
3. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
4. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
5. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
6. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
7. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
8. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
9. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
10. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Pakistan become a far different setting in which to conduct covert action subsequent to the anti-Soviet jihad?
Essay Topic 3
What was the new secret two-track policy Peter Tomsen finalized toward the Afghan war subsequent to the Soviet troop withdrawal?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)