|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
2. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
3. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
4. Yosef was brought back to the U.S. on what date where he told the FBI that he was inspired by certain leaders but refused to say who?
5. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
2. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
3. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
4. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
5. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
6. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
7. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
8. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
9. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
10. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
Essay Topic 2
What was the "hermetic culture" the FBI had become infamous for by the beginning 1990s? What problems did it cause?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance when the CIA re-established contact with Ahmed Shah Massoud in September 1996?
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)