|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
2. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
3. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
4. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
5. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
2. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
3. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
4. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
5. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
6. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
7. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
8. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
9. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
10. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the methods and means employed by this CIA to disrupt, capture, and kill Osama bin Laden subsequent to his return to Afghanistan in the late 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
How did the Hamburg cell evolve?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)