|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
2. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
3. What did Massoud's group protect?
4. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
5. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
2. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
3. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
4. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
5. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
6. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
7. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
8. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
9. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
10. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Taliban begin in 1994 and evolve?
Essay Topic 2
What was the title of Chapter 17, "Dangling the Carrot," in reference to? Why did Unocal's Marty Miller get out of his truck when it crossed into Pakistan at the conclusion of the chapter, kiss the ground, then do a little jig?
Essay Topic 3
What reasonably should have been expected to have been done differently regarding American policy to al-Qaeda during the months that led up to 11 September 2001?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)