|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
2. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
3. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
4. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
5. By 1996, Massoud's popularity stood where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
2. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
3. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
4. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
5. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
6. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
7. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
8. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
9. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
10. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the methods and means employed by this CIA to disrupt, capture, and kill Osama bin Laden subsequent to his return to Afghanistan in the late 1990s?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the Saudis view Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf as the most important rebel during the war with the Soviets?
Essay Topic 3
What was the cable draft that Timothy Carney found when he arrived in Khartoum, Sudan, in November 1996 that appalled him? What was ensured? What was the final outcome of that matter?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)