|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
(b) Steady, but contained.
(c) Out of control.
2. What is the purpose of the CIA?
(a) Ensure the international security of U.S.
(b) Ensure the domestic security of U.S.
(c) Ensure security of presidents and cabinet.
(d) Prevent surprise attacks.
3. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
(a) Any time.
(b) Winter 1999.
(c) Summer 1999.
(d) Spring 2000.
4. Which nation agreed Predator drones could be flown from one of its air bases while controlled from Langley?
5. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(b) Massoud Khalili.
(c) Osama bin Laden.
(d) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 2000, the White House counterterrorism head asked which acquaintance to address the bin Laden intelligence problem?
2. Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri travelled by what means?
3. Where did the Hamburg cell, as it was known, coalesce?
4. Richard Clarke's White House counterterrorist group usually pressed for what type of tactics against bin Laden?
5. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
2. By early 1999, what was Tenet's view about the possibility bin Laden might again attack America?
3. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
4. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
5. How did the Taliban take their final major prize taken in northern Afghanistan?
6. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
7. What plan was agreed to between Pakistani intelligence director Naseem Rana and CIA station chief Schroen regarding the capture of Mir Amal Kasi?
8. What MiG fighter jet intercept mission of a CIA Predator drone was described in Chapter 29?
9. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
10. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
This section contains 1,048 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)