|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
(a) Osama bin Laden.
(b) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(c) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(d) Massoud Khalili.
2. The 1997-2000 White House national security adviser was determined "terrorism and al Qaeda" would rank where?
(a) Not the "number one" issue.
(b) The "number one" issue.
(c) It "matched Korea" on the list.
(d) The "number two" issue.
3. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
(a) Expel bin Laden to Romania.
(b) Expel bin Laden to Saudi Arabia.
(c) Provide information on bin Laden and his followers.
(d) Expel bin Laden to Yemen.
4. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
(a) Eastern Alliance.
(b) Southern Alliance.
(c) Western Alliance.
(d) Northern Alliance.
5. Who headed the Pakistani army from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Mahmoud Ahmed.
(b) General Naseem Rana.
(c) General Hamid Gulr.
(d) General Pervez Musharraf.
Short Answer Questions
1. Tenet was frustrated by what attention the Clinton Cabinet provided the al Qaeda threat?
2. Shortly into 2000, the Counterterrorist Center picked up information that bin Laden had arrived in what location?
3. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
4. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
5. A commando raid on bin Laden was not pursued because it was thought that a failed attack with civilian casualties would yield what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
2. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
3. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
4. What were some of the calculations the CIA's Counterterrorism Center had made regarding al Qaeda by late 1999?
5. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
8. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
9. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
10. Why was George J. Tenet in various ways an unlikely candidate capable of repairing the breach between the CIA and Clinton?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)