|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
(b) Massoud's helicopters.
(c) U.S. Army helicopters.
(d) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
2. Massoud felt he had recovered some political and military momentum in opposition to the Taliban by what point?
(a) Summer 2000.
(b) Winter 1999.
(c) Spring 2000.
(d) Autumn 2000.
3. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
(a) Steady, but contained.
(b) Out of control.
4. When Ziauddin fell from power, which CIA branch lost an ally?
(a) South Asia.
(b) Northern Asia.
(c) Central Asia.
(d) Western Asia.
5. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Cairo, Rabat.
(b) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
(c) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(d) Nairobi, Rabat.
Short Answer Questions
1. A commando raid on bin Laden was not pursued because it was thought that a failed attack with civilian casualties would yield what?
2. The CIA hired Afghan tribal fighters to find Kasi, who attacked Langley in 1993, and who is captured when?
3. According to Chapter 26, Kahlid al Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi met in which capital?
4. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
5. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it the CIA's working idea to attempt to keep bin Laden outside "KKJ"?
2. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
3. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
4. How did the Taliban take their final major prize taken in northern Afghanistan?
5. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
6. By early 1999, what was Tenet's view about the possibility bin Laden might again attack America?
7. How was Unocal introduced?
8. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
9. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
10. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)