|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
2. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
(b) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
(c) General Asad Durrani.
(d) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
3. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
(a) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(b) Osama bin Laden.
(c) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(d) Massoud Khalili.
4. Argentine oilman Carlos Bulgheroni had the same idea as Unocal and had whose support?
(a) King Fahd.
(b) King Faisal.
(c) Prince Bandar al-Faisal.
(d) Prince Turki al-Faisal.
5. With whom did the Turkmenistan government make their deal?
(a) Bulgheroni, with Washington support.
(b) Unocal, with Washington support.
(c) Bulgheroni, without Washington support.
(d) Unocal, without Washington support.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
2. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
3. George Tenet became CIA director in what year?
4. Massoud's group was suspicious of the U.S. and its relationship to the Taliban, but who was his one CIA link?
5. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
Short Essay Questions
1. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
2. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
3. What support did CIA field operatives reportedly seek from the White House team of Richard Clarke?
4. Why did Prince Turki believe that bin Laden had fallen through the cracks?
5. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
6. What took place in the Oval Office meeting on 2 December 1998 in the early afternoon?
7. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
8. Why was autumn in 1999 rough for managers at the Counterterrorist Center who were reporting possible terrorist threats?
9. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
10. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)