|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Osama bin Laden.
(b) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(c) Massoud Khalili.
(d) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
2. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
(a) Abu Zubaydeh in Germany, Ahmed Ressan in San Francisco.
(b) Abu Zubaydeh in Jordan, Ahmed Ressan in Washington state.
(c) Abu Zubaydeh in Syria, Ahmed Ressan in Miami.
(d) Abu Zubaydeh in Kuwait, Ahmed Ressan in New York City.
3. Where did the CIA stand in regard to Black's enthusiasm in favor of armed drones?
(d) In favor.
4. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
(a) Massoud Khalili.
(b) Osama bin Laden.
(c) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(d) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
5. Who headed the Pakistani army from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Mahmoud Ahmed.
(b) General Pervez Musharraf.
(c) General Hamid Gulr.
(d) General Naseem Rana.
Short Answer Questions
1. Six weeks after Massoud took Kabul, what was first on a list of strict rules imposed by religious police?
2. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
3. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
4. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
5. The CIA suspected Pakistani intelligence worked with bin Laden and trained recruits to fight where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the calculations the CIA's Counterterrorism Center had made regarding al Qaeda by late 1999?
2. How did the "bin Laden Issue Station" evolve?
3. How was bin Laden described as having viewed himself in Chapter 21?
4. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
5. How was the Afghan war changing by 1999?
6. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
7. By early 1999, what was Tenet's view about the possibility bin Laden might again attack America?
8. What role had Tom Pickering assumed under Clinton?
9. Why did Prince Turki believe that bin Laden had fallen through the cracks?
10. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)