|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
(a) Mullah Omar.
(b) Mullah Rabbani.
(c) Mohammed Atef.
(d) Mohammed Fahim.
2. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
3. The U.S. did not support Massoud but kept their contacts, as the official position would change if al-Qaeda attacked where?
(a) In the U.S.
(b) In Canada.
(c) In South America.
(d) In Europe.
4. Government lawyers debated for months under what circumstances lethal force was legal and when it constituted what?
(a) National security.
5. In 1996, the CIA was attempting to recover Stinger missiles but encountered what problem with the Taliban?
(a) They would not sell back the ones they had.
(b) They demanded too high a price.
(c) They claimed they had none.
(d) They would sell back only damaged ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. The CIA's Counterterrorist Center established a new office dedicated to bin Laden in what year?
2. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
3. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
4. The suicide bombing against the USS Cole, a U.S. Navy destroyer, took place on 12 October 2000 in what port?
5. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
Short Essay Questions
1. How had persistent Feminist Majority lobbying in opposition to the Taliban influenced the two most significant women in Clinton's administration?
2. Why did Prince Turki believe that bin Laden had fallen through the cracks?
3. What took place in the Oval Office meeting on 2 December 1998 in the early afternoon?
4. How did John Deutch become the CIA chief?
5. Why did Schroen encounter difficulty recovering CIA Stinger missiles from the Taliban?
6. What was the view of CIA staff members regarding Cofer Black's enthusiastic view for armed Predator drones?
7. How did Prince Turki view the threat bin Laden posed?
8. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
9. Why was Nawaz Sharif in fear of his army?
10. How was Unocal introduced?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)