|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) Madeleine Albright.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) William Milam.
2. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
3. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
(a) Eagle's Beak.
(b) Parrot's Beak.
(c) Pelican's Beak.
(d) Hawk's Beak.
4. What was the Taliban trying to clear Afghanistan of?
(b) Military dictator.
(c) Religious leaders.
(d) Elected officials.
5. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(a) Nuclear capability.
(c) Radical Islam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
2. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
3. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
4. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
5. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
2. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
3. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
4. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
5. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
6. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
7. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
8. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
9. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
10. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)