|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) John Deutch.
(b) Edmund McWilliams.
(c) James Woolsey.
(d) Robert Gates.
2. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
3. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
4. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
(a) Civilian ships.
(b) Civilian ambulances.
(c) Civilian airliners.
(d) Civilian freight vehicles.
5. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
2. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
3. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
4. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
5. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
2. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
3. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
4. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
5. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
6. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
7. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
8. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
9. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
10. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)