|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(b) Bike riding.
(c) Flower gardening.
(d) Flying to the United Nations.
2. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
(a) 3 killed, 5 wounded.
(b) 5 killed, 3 wounded.
(c) 2 killed, 3 wounded.
(d) 1 killed, 4 wounded.
3. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(a) Many times.
(c) Only once.
(d) Several times.
4. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(b) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(c) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(d) World Trade Center, New York.
5. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
2. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
3. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
4. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
5. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
2. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
3. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
4. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
5. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
6. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
7. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
8. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
9. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
10. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)