|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
2. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
3. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
4. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Madeleine Albright.
(b) William Milam.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
5. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(a) Bike riding.
(c) Flying to the United Nations.
(d) Flower gardening.
Short Answer Questions
1. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
2. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
3. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
4. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
5. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
2. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
3. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
4. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
5. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
6. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
7. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
8. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
9. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
10. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)