|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
2. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
(b) CIA headquarters.
(c) White House.
(d) U.N. headquarters.
3. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
4. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
(c) Soviet Union.
5. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Surface-to-air missiles.
(b) Vehicle bombings.
(c) Commando raids.
Short Answer Questions
1. Saudi intelligence used what type of charities to funnel money to Afghanistan?
2. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
3. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
4. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
5. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
2. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
3. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
4. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
5. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
6. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
7. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
8. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
9. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
10. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)