|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
(b) Required more study.
2. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Fled the valley.
(b) Set up military defenses.
(c) Ordered it evacuated.
(d) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
3. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Office of Tour Services.
(b) Agency of Services.
(c) Travel Services Office.
(d) Office of Services.
4. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
5. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
2. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
3. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
4. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
5. How was President Zia killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
2. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
3. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
4. What position did U.S. government Afghan specialist Zalmay Khalilzad take shortly following the takeover of Kabul by the Taliban?
5. How had the U.S. intelligence arms switched their focus by 1998?
6. What were the main points Massoud stressed to Otilie English in early 2001?
7. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
8. How was it, as related in Chapter 9, that the Pakistani ISI allied with Gulbuddin Hekmatyar as a means of isolating and defeating rival commanders about Kabul?
9. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
10. How was Clinton's visit to Pakistan among the strangest that presidential history has to offer?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)