|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
(a) Milton Bearden.
(b) Duane R. "Dewey" Clarridge.
(c) Frank Anderson.
(d) Howard Hart.
2. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
3. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
(a) Afghanistan, U.S.
(b) Saudi Arabia, U.S.
(c) Pakistan, U.S.
(d) Afghanistan, Pakistan.
4. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
(a) Rebel commando units.
(b) Taliban intelligence unit.
(c) Financial gathering operations.
(d) Islamic government.
5. Where did Massoud live from the age of 11?
Short Answer Questions
1. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
2. Yosef was brought back to the U.S. on what date where he told the FBI that he was inspired by certain leaders but refused to say who?
3. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
4. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
5. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
2. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
3. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
4. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
5. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
6. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
7. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
8. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
9. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
10. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)