|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Yosef was brought back to the U.S. on what date where he told the FBI that he was inspired by certain leaders but refused to say who?
(a) 8 February 1995.
(b) 5 June 1993.
(c) 2 July 1994.
(d) 4 November 1996.
2. Where was a champagne party held when the last Soviet troops left Afghanistan?
(a) ISI headquarters.
(b) KGB headquarters.
(c) CIA headquarters.
(d) MI6 headquarters.
3. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
(a) Civilian airliners.
(b) Civilian ships.
(c) Civilian ambulances.
(d) Civilian freight vehicles.
4. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Office of Services.
(b) Travel Services Office.
(c) Agency of Services.
(d) Office of Tour Services.
5. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
2. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
3. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
4. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
5. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
2. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
3. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
4. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
5. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
6. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
7. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
8. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
9. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
10. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)