|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
2. Chapter 12 revealed what about the State Department and CIA in 1991?
(a) In open agreement regarding change of Kabul government.
(b) In secret competition regarding change of Kabul government.
(c) In open competition regarding change of Kabul government.
(d) In secret agreement regarding change of Kabul government.
3. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
(b) CIA headquarters.
(c) U.N. headquarters.
(d) White House.
4. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
(b) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(c) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(d) National Security Decision Directive 007.
5. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
(a) July 1987.
(b) April 1987.
(c) January 1987.
(d) October 1987.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
2. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
3. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
4. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
5. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
2. How had the city of Peshawar evolved by late 1986?
3. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
4. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
5. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
6. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
7. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
8. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
9. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
10. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)