|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Rental terrorists."
(b) "Ad hoc terrorists."
(c) "Cowboy terrorists."
(d) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
2. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(a) Only once.
(b) Several times.
(d) Many times.
3. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
4. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
(a) Financial gathering operations.
(b) Islamic government.
(c) Taliban intelligence unit.
(d) Rebel commando units.
5. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Current Afghan president.
(b) Former Afghan defense minister.
(c) Current Afghan defense minister.
(d) Former Afghan president.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
2. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
3. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
4. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
5. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
2. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
3. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
4. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
5. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
6. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
7. Why did the CIA Islamabad station hold a cautious view of Massoud as related in Chapter 8?
8. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
9. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
10. How did Robert Gates view Bill Clinton when he flew to meet the president-elect?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)