|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Southern Afghanistan.
(b) Southern Pakistan.
(c) Northern Yemen.
(d) Northern Iraq.
2. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(a) Early 1996.
(c) Late 1996.
3. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
4. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Mohammed Yousaf.
(b) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(c) Asad Durrani.
(d) Naseem Rana.
5. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) James Woolsey.
(b) John Deutch.
(c) Robert Gates.
(d) Edmund McWilliams.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
2. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
3. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
4. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
5. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
2. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
3. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
4. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
5. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
6. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
7. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
8. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
9. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
10. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
This section contains 932 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)