|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
(a) Thomas Peterson.
(b) Peter Timmons.
(c) Peter Tomsen.
(d) Peter Thompson.
2. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
3. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
(a) Civilian freight vehicles.
(b) Civilian ambulances.
(c) Civilian airliners.
(d) Civilian ships.
4. What did Massoud's group protect?
(a) Solang Airport.
(b) Solang Valley.
(c) Solang Highway.
(d) Solang Hospital.
5. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) July 1979.
(b) January 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) March 1979.
Short Answer Questions
1. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
2. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
3. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
4. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
5. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
2. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
3. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
4. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
5. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
6. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
7. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
8. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
9. From which stations did the CIA maintain the greatest amount of detailed intelligence collected regarding Middle Eastern radical Islamic movements during the early 1990s?
10. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)