|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
(a) U.S., Yemen.
(b) Iran, Yemen.
(c) Russia, U.S.
(d) Iran, Russia.
2. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
(a) Inter-Secret Intelligence.
(b) Intra-Services Intelligence.
(c) Inter-Services Intelligence.
(d) Intro-Services Intelligence.
3. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Northern Iraq.
(b) Southern Afghanistan.
(c) Southern Pakistan.
(d) Northern Yemen.
4. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
(a) Various parts of the world.
(b) Primarily Southern Africa.
(c) Primarily Middle East.
(d) Primarily Central Asia.
5. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 February 1986.
(b) 1 February 1990.
(c) 1 August 1991.
(d) 1 August 1988.
Short Answer Questions
1. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
2. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
3. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
4. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
5. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
2. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
3. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
4. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
5. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
6. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
7. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
8. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
9. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
10. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)