|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
(a) One in person and two by telephone.
(b) Only one.
(c) One in person and one by telephone.
2. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) December 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) July 1979.
(d) January 1979.
3. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) John Deutch.
(b) Robert Gates.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) James Woolsey.
4. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
(a) Russia, U.S.
(b) U.S., Yemen.
(c) Iran, Russia.
(d) Iran, Yemen.
5. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(b) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(c) World Trade Center, New York.
(d) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
2. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
3. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
4. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
5. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How were the Panjshiris seen by 1994?
2. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
3. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
4. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
5. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
6. How did the Soviets view the war in Afghanistan initially?
7. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
8. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
9. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
10. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)