|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Communism or radical Islam.
(b) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
(c) Nazism or radical Judaism.
(d) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
2. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Pixler Amendment.
(b) Pressler Amendment.
(c) Reagan Amendment.
(d) Baker Amendment.
3. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
(a) 12 January 1987.
(b) 13 November 1986.
(c) 31 May 1987.
(d) 21 March 1987.
4. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
5. In what year did the Taliban form?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
2. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
3. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
4. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
5. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
2. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
3. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
4. Why was Khartoum a popular place for energetic CIA case officers to get assigned?
5. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
6. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
7. How did the 1994 assassination attempt on bin Laden transpire?
8. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
9. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
10. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)