|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Naseem Rana.
(b) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(c) Mohammed Yousaf.
(d) Asad Durrani.
2. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
(a) Primarily Southern Africa.
(b) Various parts of the world.
(c) Primarily Middle East.
(d) Primarily Central Asia.
3. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
4. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
(a) Hitler Youth Organization.
(b) Muslim Youth Organization.
(c) Jihad Youth Organization.
(d) Marxist Youth Organization.
5. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Nazism or radical Judaism.
(b) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
(c) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
(d) Communism or radical Islam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
2. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
3. What did Massoud's group protect?
4. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
5. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
2. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
3. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
4. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
5. How did Peter Tomsen's role differ when he took over the position Ed McWilliams held in late 1989?
6. In the opening of Chapter 5, what did CIA director William Casey relay to President Ronald Reagan in January 1984?
7. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
8. What was their response when Tomsen sought Saudi funding to reinforce his alternative "shura" composed of independent rebel Afghan commanders outside ISI control, but where Massoud held a strong role within the movement?
9. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
10. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)