|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
(a) Primarily Central Asia.
(b) Various parts of the world.
(c) Primarily Middle East.
(d) Primarily Southern Africa.
2. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
(a) July 1979.
(b) December 1979.
(c) January 1979.
(d) March 1979.
3. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
4. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
(a) 1 killed, 4 wounded.
(b) 3 killed, 5 wounded.
(c) 5 killed, 3 wounded.
(d) 2 killed, 3 wounded.
5. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Fled the valley.
(b) Ordered it evacuated.
(c) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
(d) Set up military defenses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
2. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
3. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
4. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
5. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the major concerns of the U.S. embassy at Kabul in early 1988?
2. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
3. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
4. How did Haq's relationship with the CIA begin?
5. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
6. What were some of the elements of Michael Pillsbury's goal in Afghanistan?
7. What weapons systems did the CIA Afghan program provide in late 1985?
8. What joke quickly circulated about James Woolsey, the CIA director, being unable to get an appointment with Clinton?
9. How did the Prologue to Ghost Wars open?
10. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)