|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
(a) June 1985.
(b) August 1988.
(c) December 1987.
(d) October 1986.
2. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
(a) Quaid-I-Azam University.
(b) University of Afghanistan.
(c) Tehran University.
(d) Kabul Polytechnic Institute.
3. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
4. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Nazism or radical Judaism.
(b) Communism or radical Islam.
(c) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
(d) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
5. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(a) Late 1996.
(c) Early 1996.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
2. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
3. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
4. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
5. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Yuri Andropov introduced in Ghost Wars?
2. How did Chapter 1 open for William Putscher?
3. Why did Schroen roll the jeep into the lake at the end of Chapter 1?
4. How was Paul Pillar described when he arrived at the Counterterrorist Center in Chapter 14?
5. Why did Ahmed Shah Massoud join the Muslim Youth Organization while he was a student at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
6. How were the rebels trained to clear Soviet-laid minefields around Jalalabad?
7. How was Abdul Haq introduced?
8. How did Ahmed Badeeb sneak through Pakistani customs with over $1.8 million in U.S. cash?
9. What were some of Benazir Bhutto's goals when elected for a second term as Pakistan's prime minister?
10. Where were Schroen's assignments in the decade subsequent to the embassy riots in Islamabad in 1979?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)