|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
(a) De-emphasized covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(b) De-emphasized covert actions, emphasized intelligence gathering.
(c) Emphasized both covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(d) Emphasized covert actions, de-emphasized intelligence gathering.
2. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
(b) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(c) Cairo, Rabat.
(d) Nairobi, Rabat.
3. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
(a) Bin Laden's Iranian.
(b) Bin Laden's Saudi.
(c) Bin Laden's Pakistani.
(d) Bin Laden's Afghani.
4. Views differ on what was said, but instead of Saudis, Sudanese spoke with bin Laden and he moved where?
(a) Afghanistan, to an area controlled by the Taliban.
(b) Afghanistan, to an area not controlled by the Taliban.
(c) Pakistan, to an area not controlled by the Taliban.
(d) Pakistan, to an area controlled by the Taliban.
5. With whom did the Turkmenistan government make their deal?
(a) Unocal, with Washington support.
(b) Bulgheroni, without Washington support.
(c) Bulgheroni, with Washington support.
(d) Unocal, without Washington support.
6. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) Distrusting of each other."
(b) A tight and natural partner."
(c) "Not a natural partner."
(d) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
7. What was the response to information provided by Pillar's Counterterrorist Center?
(a) Recipients complained volume was too much.
(b) Recipients complained information was outdated.
(c) Recipients praised the information volume and speed.
(d) Recipients complained volume was too little.
8. Who headed the Pakistani army from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Naseem Rana.
(b) General Pervez Musharraf.
(c) General Mahmoud Ahmed.
(d) General Hamid Gulr.
9. According to Chapter 19, what nations did Massoud engage in locating sponsors?
(a) India, Yemen.
(b) Iran, Iraq.
(c) Iraq, Yemen.
(d) India, Iran.
10. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Army helicopters.
(b) Massoud's helicopters.
(c) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
(d) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
11. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
(b) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(c) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(d) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
12. The Hamburg cell, which derived its name from the German city it met in, included which members?
(a) Mohammed Atta, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
(b) Mohammed Atef, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
(c) Mohammed Atta, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Hamid Karzai.
(d) Mohammed Atta, Hallaladin Haqqanni, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
13. Government lawyers debated for months under what circumstances lethal force was legal and when it constituted what?
(a) National security.
14. After the USS Cole attack, what was Bush's response when asked if terrorist-hosting nations should be subject to retaliation?
(a) He would act "swiftly and harshly" in response.
(b) He would not "play his hand" on that issue.
(c) He would have assess "all the pieces" before he moved.
(d) He would "await the arrival" of the Navy investigation.
15. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
(d) Radio communication.
Short Answer Questions
1. The CIA and State Department issued what alert shortly after bin Laden helped publish a joint manifesto?
2. Where did the Hamburg cell, as it was known, coalesce?
3. The CIA suspected Pakistani intelligence worked with bin Laden and trained recruits to fight where?
4. In addition to the Zawhar Kili camp, the U.S. used missiles where?
5. By when had bin Laden moved his operations to the south to Kandahar?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)