|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
(a) Over 300 killed, over 1,500 injured.
(b) Over 100 killed, over 450 injured.
(c) Over 200 killed, over 4,000 injured.
(d) Over 150 killed, over 600 injured.
2. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
(b) Out of control.
(c) Steady, but contained.
3. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) "Not a natural partner."
(b) A tight and natural partner."
(c) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(d) Distrusting of each other."
4. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
(a) Lydia Himmler.
(b) Angela Duile.
(c) Heidi Pfennig.
(d) Martha Schmidt.
5. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
(a) Eastern Afghanistan.
(b) Northern Afghanistan.
(c) Western Afghanistan.
(d) Southern Afghanistan.
6. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
(d) Radio communication.
7. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(b) General Asad Durrani.
(c) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
(d) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
8. Argentine oilman Carlos Bulgheroni had the same idea as Unocal and had whose support?
(a) King Faisal.
(b) Prince Bandar al-Faisal.
(c) King Fahd.
(d) Prince Turki al-Faisal.
9. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Arabian Sea.
(b) Caspian Sea.
(c) Andaman Sea.
(d) Aral Sea.
10. When had the White House counterterrorist group grown frustrated with intelligence reports on bin Laden's whereabouts?
(a) Early fall, 2000.
(b) Early summer, 2000.
(c) Late spring, 2000.
(d) Late summer, 2000.
11. After the USS Cole attack, what was Bush's response when asked if terrorist-hosting nations should be subject to retaliation?
(a) He would act "swiftly and harshly" in response.
(b) He would not "play his hand" on that issue.
(c) He would "await the arrival" of the Navy investigation.
(d) He would have assess "all the pieces" before he moved.
12. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(b) Osama bin Laden.
(c) Massoud Khalili.
(d) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
13. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
(b) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(c) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
14. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
(a) Southern Alliance.
(b) Western Alliance.
(c) Northern Alliance.
(d) Eastern Alliance.
15. Views differ on what was said, but instead of Saudis, Sudanese spoke with bin Laden and he moved where?
(a) Afghanistan, to an area controlled by the Taliban.
(b) Pakistan, to an area not controlled by the Taliban.
(c) Afghanistan, to an area not controlled by the Taliban.
(d) Pakistan, to an area controlled by the Taliban.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nation agreed Predator drones could be flown from one of its air bases while controlled from Langley?
2. The Hamburg cell, which derived its name from the German city it met in, included which members?
3. Government lawyers debated for months under what circumstances lethal force was legal and when it constituted what?
4. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
5. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)