|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Northern Alliance lose Taloqan to the Taliban?
(a) December 2000.
(b) September 2000.
(c) March 2000.
(d) June 2000.
2. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
(a) Martha Schmidt.
(b) Angela Duile.
(c) Lydia Himmler.
(d) Heidi Pfennig.
3. When Ziauddin fell from power, which CIA branch lost an ally?
(a) Western Asia.
(b) Northern Asia.
(c) Central Asia.
(d) South Asia.
4. When Massoud was cornered in northern Afghanistan, what was the result of his requests for aid?
(a) U.S. did not provide.
(b) Saudi Arabia provided.
(c) Saudi Arabia did not provide.
(d) U.S. provided.
5. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
(a) Southern Alliance.
(b) Northern Alliance.
(c) Eastern Alliance.
(d) Western Alliance.
6. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(b) Massoud Khalili.
(c) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(d) Osama bin Laden.
7. George Tenet became CIA director in what year?
8. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(b) "Not a natural partner."
(c) Distrusting of each other."
(d) A tight and natural partner."
9. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(b) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
(c) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
(d) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
10. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
11. The CIA and State Department issued what alert shortly after bin Laden helped publish a joint manifesto?
(a) Bin Laden required a high priority.
(b) Bin Laden required a medium priority.
(c) Bin Laden required a low priority.
(d) Bin Laden required no priority.
12. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
(a) Massoud Khalili.
(b) Amrullah Saleh.
(c) Islam Karimov.
(d) Hamid Karzai.
13. The U.S. did not support Massoud but kept their contacts, as the official position would change if al-Qaeda attacked where?
(a) In Canada.
(b) In the U.S.
(c) In Europe.
(d) In South America.
14. What is the purpose of the CIA?
(a) Ensure the international security of U.S.
(b) Ensure security of presidents and cabinet.
(c) Ensure the domestic security of U.S.
(d) Prevent surprise attacks.
15. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
(a) Abu Zubaydeh in Germany, Ahmed Ressan in San Francisco.
(b) Abu Zubaydeh in Kuwait, Ahmed Ressan in New York City.
(c) Abu Zubaydeh in Jordan, Ahmed Ressan in Washington state.
(d) Abu Zubaydeh in Syria, Ahmed Ressan in Miami.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the Zawhar Kili camp, the U.S. used missiles where?
2. Who was the White House national security adviser between 1993 and 1997?
3. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
4. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
5. The Hamburg cell, which derived its name from the German city it met in, included which members?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)