|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
(a) Emphasized both covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(b) Emphasized covert actions, de-emphasized intelligence gathering.
(c) De-emphasized covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(d) De-emphasized covert actions, emphasized intelligence gathering.
2. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
3. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(c) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
(d) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
4. According to Chapter 19, what nations did Massoud engage in locating sponsors?
(a) India, Iran.
(b) Iran, Iraq.
(c) India, Yemen.
(d) Iraq, Yemen.
5. In 1996, the CIA was attempting to recover Stinger missiles but encountered what problem with the Taliban?
(a) They claimed they had none.
(b) They would not sell back the ones they had.
(c) They demanded too high a price.
(d) They would sell back only damaged ones.
6. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
(a) Bin Laden's Iranian.
(b) Bin Laden's Pakistani.
(c) Bin Laden's Afghani.
(d) Bin Laden's Saudi.
7. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
(a) Absolute certainty as to bin Laden's location.
(b) Conflict against terrorism not a declared war.
(c) Potential collateral damage.
(d) Uncertainty of number of civilian deaths.
8. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
(a) Expel bin Laden to Saudi Arabia.
(b) Expel bin Laden to Romania.
(c) Provide information on bin Laden and his followers.
(d) Expel bin Laden to Yemen.
9. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(b) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
(c) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
(d) General Asad Durrani.
10. When had the White House counterterrorist group grown frustrated with intelligence reports on bin Laden's whereabouts?
(a) Early fall, 2000.
(b) Late summer, 2000.
(c) Early summer, 2000.
(d) Late spring, 2000.
11. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
(a) Any time.
(b) Spring 2000.
(c) Summer 1999.
(d) Winter 1999.
12. Who met Mahmoud Ahmed in the spring of 2001 and advised Pakistan could do much more in the fight with bin Laden?
13. Some of the 1998 U.S. embassy bombers belong to al-Qaeda sleeper cells in Africa, and all were trained where?
14. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
(a) Islam Karimov.
(b) Hamid Karzai.
(c) Amrullah Saleh.
(d) Massoud Khalili.
15. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Caspian Sea.
(b) Andaman Sea.
(c) Arabian Sea.
(d) Aral Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to the Zawhar Kili camp, the U.S. used missiles where?
2. By when had bin Laden moved his operations to the south to Kandahar?
3. What is the purpose of the CIA?
4. Massoud felt he had recovered some political and military momentum in opposition to the Taliban by what point?
5. When Massoud was cornered in northern Afghanistan, what was the result of his requests for aid?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)