|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
(b) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(c) General Asad Durrani.
(d) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
2. Richard Clarke's White House counterterrorist group usually pressed for what type of tactics against bin Laden?
(b) Least aggressive.
(c) Moderately aggressive.
(d) Most aggressive.
3. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(b) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(c) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
(d) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
4. Equipment the CIA outfitted the Afghan tribal fighters with to use in their search for Kasi included what?
(a) Infrared electromagnetic spectrum for wireless communications.
(b) Tracking, locating equipment that used satellites.
(c) Infrared night-vision goggles.
(d) Heat-seeking, tracking equipment that used radar.
5. When Massoud was cornered in northern Afghanistan, what was the result of his requests for aid?
(a) Saudi Arabia did not provide.
(b) Saudi Arabia provided.
(c) U.S. provided.
(d) U.S. did not provide.
6. One report received was a plot against Massoud that involved an assassin dispatched to place what in his shoes?
(c) Boron nitride.
(d) Acetylsalicylic acid.
7. When Ziauddin fell from power, which CIA branch lost an ally?
(a) South Asia.
(b) Northern Asia.
(c) Central Asia.
(d) Western Asia.
8. According to Chapter 26, Kahlid al Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi met in which capital?
(a) Kuwait City.
(b) Kuala Lumpur.
9. Tenet was frustrated by what attention the Clinton Cabinet provided the al Qaeda threat?
(a) "Too late."
10. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
(a) Expel bin Laden to Saudi Arabia.
(b) Expel bin Laden to Yemen.
(c) Provide information on bin Laden and his followers.
(d) Expel bin Laden to Romania.
11. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(b) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(c) Massoud Khalili.
(d) Osama bin Laden.
12. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
(a) Potential collateral damage.
(b) Uncertainty of number of civilian deaths.
(c) Conflict against terrorism not a declared war.
(d) Absolute certainty as to bin Laden's location.
13. By when had bin Laden moved his operations to the south to Kandahar?
(a) May 1995.
(b) November 1995.
(c) November 1996.
(d) May 1996.
14. In 1996, the CIA was attempting to recover Stinger missiles but encountered what problem with the Taliban?
(a) They would not sell back the ones they had.
(b) They claimed they had none.
(c) They demanded too high a price.
(d) They would sell back only damaged ones.
15. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
(a) William Milam.
(b) Tom Pickering.
(c) Tony Lake.
(d) Tom Simons.
Short Answer Questions
1. The CIA and State Department issued what alert shortly after bin Laden helped publish a joint manifesto?
2. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
3. After the USS Cole attack, what was Bush's response when asked if terrorist-hosting nations should be subject to retaliation?
4. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
5. With whom did the Turkmenistan government make their deal?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)