|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
(b) U.S. Army helicopters.
(c) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
(d) Massoud's helicopters.
2. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
(a) Abu Zubaydeh in Kuwait, Ahmed Ressan in New York City.
(b) Abu Zubaydeh in Syria, Ahmed Ressan in Miami.
(c) Abu Zubaydeh in Jordan, Ahmed Ressan in Washington state.
(d) Abu Zubaydeh in Germany, Ahmed Ressan in San Francisco.
3. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
(a) Lydia Himmler.
(b) Martha Schmidt.
(c) Heidi Pfennig.
(d) Angela Duile.
4. Shortly into 2000, the Counterterrorist Center picked up information that bin Laden had arrived in what location?
(a) Zawhar Kili Camp.
(b) Derunta Camp.
(c) Jalalabad Camp.
(d) Jaji Camp.
5. Six weeks after Massoud took Kabul, what was first on a list of strict rules imposed by religious police?
(a) Women washing clothes in a river were sent home.
(b) Unmarried females could not appear in public alone.
(c) Tailors displaying fashion magazines were jailed.
(d) Taxis must not stop for women without full burqa.
6. The CIA and State Department issued what alert shortly after bin Laden helped publish a joint manifesto?
(a) Bin Laden required a medium priority.
(b) Bin Laden required a low priority.
(c) Bin Laden required no priority.
(d) Bin Laden required a high priority.
7. When Ziauddin fell from power, which CIA branch lost an ally?
(a) Northern Asia.
(b) South Asia.
(c) Central Asia.
(d) Western Asia.
8. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
(a) Northern Alliance.
(b) Eastern Alliance.
(c) Western Alliance.
(d) Southern Alliance.
9. How did the author describe Clinton's view of the CIA as an institution?
10. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
11. Equipment the CIA outfitted the Afghan tribal fighters with to use in their search for Kasi included what?
(a) Infrared night-vision goggles.
(b) Infrared electromagnetic spectrum for wireless communications.
(c) Tracking, locating equipment that used satellites.
(d) Heat-seeking, tracking equipment that used radar.
12. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Massoud Khalili.
(b) Osama bin Laden.
(c) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(d) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
13. The CIA's Counterterrorist Center established a new office dedicated to bin Laden in what year?
14. The U.S. was to accept severe social regulations imposed by the Taliban for what reason?
(a) Regulations resulted in peace for most of the country.
(b) U.S. had no authority on Islamic law imposition.
(c) Regulations were founded on religious Islamic law.
(d) Islamic laws were likely to be overthrown.
15. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
(a) Mohammed Fahim.
(b) Mohammed Atef.
(c) Mullah Omar.
(d) Mullah Rabbani.
Short Answer Questions
1. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
2. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
3. Where did the Hamburg cell, as it was known, coalesce?
4. When the foreign oil representatives arrived in Afghanistan, why would Mullah Omar not meet with them?
5. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)