|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. So this second prisoner would be kept alive, the tribe was to hold him in a cave for how long until Americans came?
(a) 30 days.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 180 days.
(d) 90 days.
2. Who published a joint manifesto with bin Laden that declared the U.S. as the enemy in 1998?
(a) Mohammed Atef.
(b) Ayman al-Zawahiri.
(c) Abdullah Azzam.
(d) Aburrashid Dostum.
3. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
(a) Abu Zubaydeh in Jordan, Ahmed Ressan in Washington state.
(b) Abu Zubaydeh in Syria, Ahmed Ressan in Miami.
(c) Abu Zubaydeh in Germany, Ahmed Ressan in San Francisco.
(d) Abu Zubaydeh in Kuwait, Ahmed Ressan in New York City.
4. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
5. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(b) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
(c) Nairobi, Rabat.
(d) Cairo, Rabat.
6. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(b) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
(c) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
(d) General Asad Durrani.
7. Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri travelled by what means?
(a) Luxury SUVs.
(c) Small passenger helicopters.
(d) 4x4s marked as ambulances.
8. The Hamburg cell, which derived its name from the German city it met in, included which members?
(a) Mohammed Atef, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
(b) Mohammed Atta, Hallaladin Haqqanni, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
(c) Mohammed Atta, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Marwan al-Shehhi.
(d) Mohammed Atta, Ramzai Binalshibh, Ziad Jarrah, Hamid Karzai.
9. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) "Not a natural partner."
(b) Distrusting of each other."
(c) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(d) A tight and natural partner."
10. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
(a) Southern Alliance.
(b) Western Alliance.
(c) Northern Alliance.
(d) Eastern Alliance.
11. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
(a) Over 100 killed, over 450 injured.
(b) Over 200 killed, over 4,000 injured.
(c) Over 300 killed, over 1,500 injured.
(d) Over 150 killed, over 600 injured.
12. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
(a) Southern Afghanistan.
(b) Northern Afghanistan.
(c) Western Afghanistan.
(d) Eastern Afghanistan.
13. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
14. Six weeks after Massoud took Kabul, what was first on a list of strict rules imposed by religious police?
(a) Women washing clothes in a river were sent home.
(b) Tailors displaying fashion magazines were jailed.
(c) Taxis must not stop for women without full burqa.
(d) Unmarried females could not appear in public alone.
15. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Andaman Sea.
(b) Arabian Sea.
(c) Aral Sea.
(d) Caspian Sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
2. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
3. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
4. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
5. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)