|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the foreign oil representatives arrived in Afghanistan, why would Mullah Omar not meet with them?
(a) They were not Afghans.
(b) They did not have full beards.
(c) They were not Taliban.
(d) They were not Muslims.
2. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Aral Sea.
(b) Caspian Sea.
(c) Andaman Sea.
(d) Arabian Sea.
3. What was the response to information provided by Pillar's Counterterrorist Center?
(a) Recipients complained volume was too little.
(b) Recipients complained volume was too much.
(c) Recipients complained information was outdated.
(d) Recipients praised the information volume and speed.
4. Bin Laden and al-Zawahiri travelled by what means?
(a) 4x4s marked as ambulances.
(b) Small passenger helicopters.
(d) Luxury SUVs.
5. Massoud felt he had recovered some political and military momentum in opposition to the Taliban by what point?
(a) Summer 2000.
(b) Winter 1999.
(c) Autumn 2000.
(d) Spring 2000.
6. After the USS Cole attack, what was Bush's response when asked if terrorist-hosting nations should be subject to retaliation?
(a) He would not "play his hand" on that issue.
(b) He would "await the arrival" of the Navy investigation.
(c) He would act "swiftly and harshly" in response.
(d) He would have assess "all the pieces" before he moved.
7. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
(a) Mohammed Fahim.
(b) Mullah Rabbani.
(c) Mohammed Atef.
(d) Mullah Omar.
8. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
9. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) Massoud's helicopters.
(b) U.S. Army helicopters.
(c) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
(d) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
10. Argentine oilman Carlos Bulgheroni had the same idea as Unocal and had whose support?
(a) Prince Turki al-Faisal.
(b) King Fahd.
(c) Prince Bandar al-Faisal.
(d) King Faisal.
11. According to Chapter 26, Kahlid al Mihdhar and Nawaf al-Hazmi met in which capital?
(a) Kuwait City.
(b) Kuala Lumpur.
12. The CIA suspected Pakistani intelligence worked with bin Laden and trained recruits to fight where?
13. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
14. Richard Clarke's White House counterterrorist group usually pressed for what type of tactics against bin Laden?
(a) Least aggressive.
(b) Moderately aggressive.
(d) Most aggressive.
15. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) Distrusting of each other."
(b) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(c) "Not a natural partner."
(d) A tight and natural partner."
Short Answer Questions
1. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
2. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
3. The CIA prevented surprise attacks through analysis of information they distributed in reports to avoid what?
4. Six weeks after Massoud took Kabul, what was first on a list of strict rules imposed by religious police?
5. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)