|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Asad Durrani.
(b) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
(c) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(d) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
2. When Bush becomes the President, what was one of the initial changes made at the CIA?
(a) Predator flights were resumed.
(b) Official position on Taliban changed.
(c) Official position on Afghanistan changed.
(d) Obtain support for Massoud.
3. When the foreign oil representatives arrived in Afghanistan, why would Mullah Omar not meet with them?
(a) They were not Afghans.
(b) They were not Taliban.
(c) They were not Muslims.
(d) They did not have full beards.
4. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
(a) Mullah Omar.
(b) Mullah Rabbani.
(c) Mohammed Atef.
(d) Mohammed Fahim.
5. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
(a) Heidi Pfennig.
(b) Angela Duile.
(c) Lydia Himmler.
(d) Martha Schmidt.
6. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
(a) De-emphasized covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(b) Emphasized both covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(c) Emphasized covert actions, de-emphasized intelligence gathering.
(d) De-emphasized covert actions, emphasized intelligence gathering.
7. Terrorists met at the Zawhar Kili camp that the U.S. attacked with Tomahawk missiles resulting in what to bin Laden?
(a) Not there in the attack.
(b) Escaped injury in the attack.
(c) Received minor injury in the attack.
(d) Received major injury in the attack.
8. In 2000, the White House counterterrorism head asked which acquaintance to address the bin Laden intelligence problem?
(a) Charles Alan.
(b) Charles Allen.
(c) Scott Frye.
(d) Christopher F. Allen.
9. How many casualties resulted in these two U.S. embassy attacks in Africa?
(a) Over 100 killed, over 450 injured.
(b) Over 200 killed, over 4,000 injured.
(c) Over 150 killed, over 600 injured.
(d) Over 300 killed, over 1,500 injured.
10. The U.S. was to accept severe social regulations imposed by the Taliban for what reason?
(a) U.S. had no authority on Islamic law imposition.
(b) Islamic laws were likely to be overthrown.
(c) Regulations were founded on religious Islamic law.
(d) Regulations resulted in peace for most of the country.
11. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Cairo, Rabat.
(b) Nairobi, Rabat.
(c) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(d) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
12. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
(b) Steady, but contained.
(d) Out of control.
13. The CIA's Counterterrorist Center established a new office dedicated to bin Laden in what year?
14. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(c) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
(d) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
15. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
(a) Tom Simons.
(b) Tom Pickering.
(c) Tony Lake.
(d) William Milam.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
2. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
3. In what year was Bhutto ousted from office and Nawaz Sharif became prime minister?
4. Massoud felt he had recovered some political and military momentum in opposition to the Taliban by what point?
5. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)