|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Northern Alliance lose Taloqan to the Taliban?
(a) June 2000.
(b) March 2000.
(c) September 2000.
(d) December 2000.
2. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Army helicopters.
(b) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
(c) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
(d) Massoud's helicopters.
3. Marwan al-Shehhi told which librarian thousands would die at the World Trade Center, but he did not seem serious?
(a) Angela Duile.
(b) Heidi Pfennig.
(c) Martha Schmidt.
(d) Lydia Himmler.
4. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Andaman Sea.
(b) Aral Sea.
(c) Caspian Sea.
(d) Arabian Sea.
5. Some of the 1998 U.S. embassy bombers belong to al-Qaeda sleeper cells in Africa, and all were trained where?
6. How did those at Langley react when a Taliban Mig was monitored as it headed straight toward a Predator drone?
(a) Half stepped aside instinctively as it passed.
(b) They were silent for several minutes.
(c) Half ducked instinctively as it passed.
(d) Half looked away instinctively as it passed.
7. What was the response to information provided by Pillar's Counterterrorist Center?
(a) Recipients complained information was outdated.
(b) Recipients praised the information volume and speed.
(c) Recipients complained volume was too much.
(d) Recipients complained volume was too little.
8. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
(b) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(c) Nairobi, Rabat.
(d) Cairo, Rabat.
9. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(b) "Not a natural partner."
(c) Distrusting of each other."
(d) A tight and natural partner."
10. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
(a) Uncertainty of number of civilian deaths.
(b) Potential collateral damage.
(c) Conflict against terrorism not a declared war.
(d) Absolute certainty as to bin Laden's location.
11. The U.S. did not support Massoud but kept their contacts, as the official position would change if al-Qaeda attacked where?
(a) In Europe.
(b) In Canada.
(c) In the U.S.
(d) In South America.
12. The CIA hired Afghan tribal fighters to find Kasi, who attacked Langley in 1993, and who is captured when?
(a) 15 June 1997.
(b) December 1997.
(c) 29 June 1998.
(d) 21 December 1996.
13. The CIA and State Department issued what alert shortly after bin Laden helped publish a joint manifesto?
(a) Bin Laden required no priority.
(b) Bin Laden required a low priority.
(c) Bin Laden required a medium priority.
(d) Bin Laden required a high priority.
14. Which two al-Qaeda operatives arrested around the 2000 New Year planned to carry out terrorist attacks?
(a) Abu Zubaydeh in Syria, Ahmed Ressan in Miami.
(b) Abu Zubaydeh in Jordan, Ahmed Ressan in Washington state.
(c) Abu Zubaydeh in Kuwait, Ahmed Ressan in New York City.
(d) Abu Zubaydeh in Germany, Ahmed Ressan in San Francisco.
15. Since the equipment was already in place, the CIA decided to use it for whose capture?
(a) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(b) Massoud Khalili.
(c) Osama bin Laden.
(d) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
2. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
3. Which nation did not meet multilateral lending requirements for the pipeline at that time?
4. A commando raid on bin Laden was not pursued because it was thought that a failed attack with civilian casualties would yield what?
5. How did Tenet view terrorism in terms of the level of threat it represented to the U.S. and the world?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)