|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Chapter 19, what nations did Massoud engage in locating sponsors?
(a) Iran, Iraq.
(b) India, Iran.
(c) Iraq, Yemen.
(d) India, Yemen.
2. The CIA's Counterterrorist Center established a new office dedicated to bin Laden in what year?
3. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
(a) Conflict against terrorism not a declared war.
(b) Uncertainty of number of civilian deaths.
(c) Absolute certainty as to bin Laden's location.
(d) Potential collateral damage.
4. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
(a) Bin Laden's Iranian.
(b) Bin Laden's Afghani.
(c) Bin Laden's Saudi.
(d) Bin Laden's Pakistani.
5. When Bush becomes the President, what was one of the initial changes made at the CIA?
(a) Predator flights were resumed.
(b) Official position on Taliban changed.
(c) Obtain support for Massoud.
(d) Official position on Afghanistan changed.
6. Massoud's group was suspicious of the U.S. and its relationship to the Taliban, but who was his one CIA link?
(a) Gary Schroen.
(b) William Piekney.
(c) Howard Hart.
(d) Milton Bearden.
7. How did those at Langley react when a Taliban Mig was monitored as it headed straight toward a Predator drone?
(a) They were silent for several minutes.
(b) Half ducked instinctively as it passed.
(c) Half stepped aside instinctively as it passed.
(d) Half looked away instinctively as it passed.
8. Tenet's reform program for the CIA did what?
(a) Emphasized both covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(b) De-emphasized covert actions, emphasized intelligence gathering.
(c) De-emphasized covert actions, intelligence gathering.
(d) Emphasized covert actions, de-emphasized intelligence gathering.
9. Unocal sent which two individuals to negotiate the pipeline?
(a) John Imle, Sandy Berger.
(b) Tony Lake, Marty Miller.
(c) Marty Miller, John Imle.
(d) Sandy Berger, Tony Lake.
10. In 1997 intelligence agents learned of assassination plots against which target?
(a) Ahmed Shah Massoud.
(b) Massoud Khalili.
(c) Osama bin Laden.
(d) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
11. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
(a) Expel bin Laden to Romania.
(b) Expel bin Laden to Saudi Arabia.
(c) Expel bin Laden to Yemen.
(d) Provide information on bin Laden and his followers.
12. Who met Mahmoud Ahmed in the spring of 2001 and advised Pakistan could do much more in the fight with bin Laden?
13. Massoud felt he had recovered some political and military momentum in opposition to the Taliban by what point?
(a) Summer 2000.
(b) Autumn 2000.
(c) Spring 2000.
(d) Winter 1999.
14. Tenet was frustrated by what attention the Clinton Cabinet provided the al Qaeda threat?
(c) "Too late."
15. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
(b) Bill Clinton.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where on his inventory of threats the U.S. faced did Tenet rank bin Laden in 1999?
2. Which former Clinton lobbyist was hired by Pervz Musharraf to assure the White House his outlook was liberal?
3. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
4. Richard Clarke's White House counterterrorist group usually pressed for what type of tactics against bin Laden?
5. Unocal wanted to build a pipeline from what location through Kandahar to Pakistan?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)