|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Terrorists met at the Zawhar Kili camp that the U.S. attacked with Tomahawk missiles resulting in what to bin Laden?
(a) Escaped injury in the attack.
(b) Received minor injury in the attack.
(c) Received major injury in the attack.
(d) Not there in the attack.
2. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
(b) Massoud's helicopters.
(c) U.S. Army helicopters.
(d) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
3. Some of the 1998 U.S. embassy bombers belong to al-Qaeda sleeper cells in Africa, and all were trained where?
4. Where did the CIA stand in regard to Black's enthusiasm in favor of armed drones?
(d) In favor.
5. The CIA slowly composed an intricate map of which infrastructure made from photos and satellite imagery?
(a) Bin Laden's Pakistani.
(b) Bin Laden's Saudi.
(c) Bin Laden's Afghani.
(d) Bin Laden's Iranian.
6. When Deutch quit as CIA director after merely 19 months, the president attempted to nominate which individual?
(a) Tom Pickering.
(b) Tony Lake.
(c) William Milam.
(d) Tom Simons.
7. The suicide bombing against the USS Cole, a U.S. Navy destroyer, took place on 12 October 2000 in what port?
(a) Beirut, Lebanon.
(b) Aden, Yemen.
(c) Muscat, Oman.
(d) Tripoli, Libya.
8. Uzbekistan, which is bordered to the south by Afghanistan, was ruled by which individual in 1999?
(a) Amrullah Saleh.
(b) Massoud Khalili.
(c) Hamid Karzai.
(d) Islam Karimov.
9. By fall of 1998, who seemed an ideal CIA partner at the Pentagon given his extensive Special Forces experience?
(a) General Hugh Sheldon.
(b) General Hugo Sheraton.
(c) General Shelton Hughes.
(d) General Hugh Shelton.
10. In 1996, the CIA was attempting to recover Stinger missiles but encountered what problem with the Taliban?
(a) They would not sell back the ones they had.
(b) They would sell back only damaged ones.
(c) They claimed they had none.
(d) They demanded too high a price.
11. How did Coll describe the relationship between Black and Pillar?
(a) "Skeptical of each other's approach."
(b) Distrusting of each other."
(c) A tight and natural partner."
(d) "Not a natural partner."
12. George Tenet became CIA director in what year?
13. Madeleine Albright and who else declared publicly multiple times the U.S. would align with no side in Afghan's war?
(a) Richard Clarke, Tom Simons.
(b) Tom Pickering, Tom Simons
(c) Richard Clarke, Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth, Tom Pickering.
14. A commando raid on bin Laden was not pursued because it was thought that a failed attack with civilian casualties would yield what?
(a) Raise opposition in Africa and Asia.
(b) Raise bin Laden's stature in Islamic world.
(c) Raise opposition in Europe.
(d) Raise opposition in international community.
15. Who met Mahmoud Ahmed in the spring of 2001 and advised Pakistan could do much more in the fight with bin Laden?
Short Answer Questions
1. Massoud had gained strength in new arms deals and felt that the Taliban had weakened as he rebuilt what?
2. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
3. Who published a joint manifesto with bin Laden that declared the U.S. as the enemy in 1998?
4. Views differ on what was said, but instead of Saudis, Sudanese spoke with bin Laden and he moved where?
5. In each case that the Clinton Cabinet considered cruise missile strikes, what was a decisive problem?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)