|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By early 1999, Tenet was certain that bin Laden would be capable of striking the U.S. at what point?
(a) Winter 1999.
(b) Any time.
(c) Spring 2000.
(d) Summer 1999.
2. By when had bin Laden moved his operations to the south to Kandahar?
(a) November 1996.
(b) May 1995.
(c) November 1995.
(d) May 1996.
3. On 7 August 1998 a devastating terrorist attack against U.S. embassies took place in which two African capitals?
(a) Nairobi, Rabat.
(b) Cairo, Rabat.
(c) Nairobi, Dar es Salaam.
(d) Cairo, Dar es Salaam.
4. Unocal sent which two individuals to negotiate the pipeline?
(a) Sandy Berger, Tony Lake.
(b) Marty Miller, John Imle.
(c) John Imle, Sandy Berger.
(d) Tony Lake, Marty Miller.
5. Prince Turki advised whom to ensure the Taliban understood bin Laden must be expelled to keep good relations?
(a) Mullah Rabbani.
(b) Mohammed Atef.
(c) Mohammed Fahim.
(d) Mullah Omar.
6. Where did the Hamburg cell, as it was known, coalesce?
(a) A gymnasium back room.
(b) A shabby mosque.
(c) A shabby hotel room.
(d) A coffee shop back room.
7. Massoud's group was suspicious of the U.S. and its relationship to the Taliban, but who was his one CIA link?
(a) Gary Schroen.
(b) William Piekney.
(c) Howard Hart.
(d) Milton Bearden.
8. The CIA suspected Pakistani intelligence worked with bin Laden and trained recruits to fight where?
9. A 1998 memorandum of notification signed by whom authorized CIA agents to use lethal force to capture bin Laden?
(b) Bill Clinton.
10. Sudan was told the Khartoum embassy would close given their terrorist support, but what was one step it could take?
(a) Expel bin Laden to Yemen.
(b) Provide information on bin Laden and his followers.
(c) Expel bin Laden to Saudi Arabia.
(d) Expel bin Laden to Romania.
11. Bin Laden practiced operational security that was intensive and he was cautious of what?
(a) Radio communication.
12. Where did U.S. ships and submarines with missiles wait to receive the coordinates of bin Laden's location?
(a) Andaman Sea.
(b) Caspian Sea.
(c) Arabian Sea.
(d) Aral Sea.
13. One report received was a plot against Massoud that involved an assassin dispatched to place what in his shoes?
(b) Acetylsalicylic acid.
(c) Boron nitride.
14. The first CIA Northern Afghanistan Liaison Team (NALT-1) flew by what means from Dushanbe to the Panjshir Valley in 1997?
(a) U.S. Army helicopters.
(b) U.S. Marine Corps helicopters.
(c) Massoud's helicopters.
(d) U.S. Air Force helicopters.
15. Who was the ISI head from 1998 to 1999?
(a) General Asad Durrani.
(b) General Khwaja Ziauddin.
(c) General Javed Ashraf Qazi.
(d) General Akhtar Abdur Rahman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the foreign oil representatives arrived in Afghanistan, why would Mullah Omar not meet with them?
2. The 1997-2000 White House national security adviser was determined "terrorism and al Qaeda" would rank where?
3. Which nation agreed Predator drones could be flown from one of its air bases while controlled from Langley?
4. Pakistan recognized the Taliban as its government without Sharif knowing, and days later the Taliban was expelled from where?
5. In 2000, the White House counterterrorism head asked which acquaintance to address the bin Laden intelligence problem?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)