|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
(c) Soviet Union.
2. In what year did the Taliban form?
3. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Hamid Karzai.
(b) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(c) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(d) Osama bin Laden.
4. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
(a) Milton Bearden.
(b) Duane R. "Dewey" Clarridge.
(c) Howard Hart.
(d) Frank Anderson.
5. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
6. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) January 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) July 1979.
(d) December 1979.
7. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
(a) It had failed.
(b) It was not yet finished.
(c) It had been successful.
(d) It had been partially successful.
8. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
9. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
(a) Civilian freight vehicles.
(b) Civilian ships.
(c) Civilian ambulances.
(d) Civilian airliners.
10. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Office of Services.
(b) Agency of Services.
(c) Office of Tour Services.
(d) Travel Services Office.
11. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
12. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(b) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(c) World Trade Center, New York.
(d) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
13. What did Massoud's group protect?
(a) Solang Valley.
(b) Solang Airport.
(c) Solang Highway.
(d) Solang Hospital.
14. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
(a) Inter-Secret Intelligence.
(b) Intra-Services Intelligence.
(c) Inter-Services Intelligence.
(d) Intro-Services Intelligence.
15. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 August 1991.
(b) 1 August 1988.
(c) 1 February 1990.
(d) 1 February 1986.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
2. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
3. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
4. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
5. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)