|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
(a) One in person and one by telephone.
(c) One in person and two by telephone.
(d) Only one.
2. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
3. What was the Taliban trying to clear Afghanistan of?
(a) Military dictator.
(b) Religious leaders.
(d) Elected officials.
4. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
5. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
(b) Nazism or radical Judaism.
(c) Communism or radical Islam.
(d) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
6. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
7. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(b) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(c) World Trade Center, New York.
(d) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
8. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Plane crash.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Bomb explosion.
(d) Commando raid.
9. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
10. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
(a) Financial gathering operations.
(b) Rebel commando units.
(c) Taliban intelligence unit.
(d) Islamic government.
11. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
12. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(a) Flying to the United Nations.
(b) Bike riding.
(d) Flower gardening.
13. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 August 1988.
(b) 1 August 1991.
(c) 1 February 1986.
(d) 1 February 1990.
14. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Baker Amendment.
(b) Reagan Amendment.
(c) Pressler Amendment.
(d) Pixler Amendment.
15. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 October 1979.
(b) 21 September 1979.
(c) 21 December 1979.
(d) 21 November 1979.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
2. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
3. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
4. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
5. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)