Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Plane crash.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Bomb explosion.
(d) Commando raid.
2. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
3. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) Edmund McWilliams.
(b) Robert Gates.
(c) James Woolsey.
(d) John Deutch.
4. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Cowboy terrorists."
(b) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
(c) "Rental terrorists."
(d) "Ad hoc terrorists."
5. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
(a) Iran, Yemen.
(b) U.S., Yemen.
(c) Russia, U.S.
(d) Iran, Russia.
6. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Vehicle bombings.
(c) Commando raids.
(d) Surface-to-air missiles.
7. By 1996, Massoud's popularity stood where?
8. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Office of Tour Services.
(b) Agency of Services.
(c) Travel Services Office.
(d) Office of Services.
9. Where did Massoud live from the age of 11?
10. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(a) Moderate success.
(b) Significant success.
(c) Minimal success.
11. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Current Afghan president.
(b) Current Afghan defense minister.
(c) Former Afghan defense minister.
(d) Former Afghan president.
12. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
13. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
(d) Soviet Union.
14. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 November 1979.
(b) 21 September 1979.
(c) 21 October 1979.
(d) 21 December 1979.
15. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
(b) CIA headquarters.
(c) U.N. headquarters.
(d) White House.
Short Answer Questions
1. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
2. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
3. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
4. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
5. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)