|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
2. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) January 1979.
(b) July 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) March 1979.
3. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
4. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
(a) Quaid-I-Azam University.
(b) Tehran University.
(c) Kabul Polytechnic Institute.
(d) University of Afghanistan.
5. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
6. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
(a) It had failed.
(b) It had been partially successful.
(c) It had been successful.
(d) It was not yet finished.
7. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) William Milam.
(b) Madeleine Albright.
(c) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(d) Edmund McWilliams.
8. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
(a) Civil war.
(b) Religious conflict.
(c) Political unrest.
9. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(b) Early 1996.
(c) Late 1996.
10. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(b) Moderate success.
(c) Significant success.
(d) Minimal success.
11. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
(a) Marxist Youth Organization.
(b) Muslim Youth Organization.
(c) Hitler Youth Organization.
(d) Jihad Youth Organization.
12. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
(a) August 1988.
(b) June 1985.
(c) December 1987.
(d) October 1986.
13. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(b) Mohammed Yousaf.
(c) Asad Durrani.
(d) Naseem Rana.
14. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(c) Saudi Arabia.
15. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Former Afghan defense minister.
(b) Former Afghan president.
(c) Current Afghan defense minister.
(d) Current Afghan president.
Short Answer Questions
1. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
2. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
3. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
4. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
5. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)