|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did the Taliban form?
2. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) January 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) July 1979.
3. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
4. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Baker Amendment.
(b) Reagan Amendment.
(c) Pixler Amendment.
(d) Pressler Amendment.
5. The ISI Afghan operations director's plans to cut Soviet supply lines were frustrated when Afghan rebels refused to take part in suicide missions for what reason?
(a) It presented unnecessary risk to civilians.
(b) They could not infiltrate Soviet lines.
(c) It was against their religious beliefs.
(d) It was an inhumane method of warfare.
6. By 1996, Massoud's popularity stood where?
7. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
(a) Hawk's Beak.
(b) Parrot's Beak.
(c) Eagle's Beak.
(d) Pelican's Beak.
8. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
9. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
10. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
11. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
12. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(b) World Trade Center, New York.
(c) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(d) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
13. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
14. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
(d) Required more study.
15. To what did the Saudis view the Soviet invasion as a threat?
(a) Saudi oil wealth.
(b) Saudi gold wealth.
(c) Saudi mineral wealth.
(d) Saudi industrial wealth.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
2. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
3. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
4. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
5. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)