|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Plane crash.
(b) Commando raid.
(c) Bomb explosion.
(d) Heart attack.
2. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
(a) Parrot's Beak.
(b) Pelican's Beak.
(c) Hawk's Beak.
(d) Eagle's Beak.
3. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
(a) Peter Tomsen.
(b) Thomas Peterson.
(c) Peter Timmons.
(d) Peter Thompson.
4. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
5. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Pressler Amendment.
(b) Pixler Amendment.
(c) Reagan Amendment.
(d) Baker Amendment.
6. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) March 1979.
(b) December 1979.
(c) January 1979.
(d) July 1979.
7. Where was a champagne party held when the last Soviet troops left Afghanistan?
(a) KGB headquarters.
(b) CIA headquarters.
(c) MI6 headquarters.
(d) ISI headquarters.
8. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Southern Pakistan.
(b) Southern Afghanistan.
(c) Northern Yemen.
(d) Northern Iraq.
9. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
(a) 1 killed, 4 wounded.
(b) 2 killed, 3 wounded.
(c) 3 killed, 5 wounded.
(d) 5 killed, 3 wounded.
10. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(b) Many times.
(c) Only once.
(d) Several times.
11. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
(a) 12 July 1988.
(b) 18 January 1989.
(c) 16 October 1988.
(d) 14 April 1988.
12. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Edmund McWilliams.
(b) Madeleine Albright.
(c) William Milam.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
13. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(a) Minimal success.
(b) Moderate success.
(c) Significant success.
14. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
15. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
Short Answer Questions
1. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
2. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
3. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
4. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
5. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)