|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) January 1979.
(b) December 1979.
(c) March 1979.
(d) July 1979.
2. What was the Taliban trying to clear Afghanistan of?
(a) Religious leaders.
(c) Elected officials.
(d) Military dictator.
3. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) Edmund McWilliams.
(c) William Milam.
(d) Madeleine Albright.
4. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
5. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(a) Only once.
(c) Several times.
(d) Many times.
6. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
(a) Medical supplies.
7. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
(a) Tehran University.
(b) Kabul Polytechnic Institute.
(c) Quaid-I-Azam University.
(d) University of Afghanistan.
8. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
9. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Plane crash.
(b) Bomb explosion.
(c) Commando raid.
(d) Heart attack.
10. Where was a champagne party held when the last Soviet troops left Afghanistan?
(a) MI6 headquarters.
(b) ISI headquarters.
(c) CIA headquarters.
(d) KGB headquarters.
11. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(b) World Trade Center, New York.
(c) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(d) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
12. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
13. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Northern Yemen.
(b) Northern Iraq.
(c) Southern Afghanistan.
(d) Southern Pakistan.
14. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
15. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(b) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(c) Osama bin Laden.
(d) Hamid Karzai.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
2. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
3. In what year did the Taliban form?
4. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
5. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)