|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
(a) Taliban intelligence unit.
(b) Rebel commando units.
(c) Financial gathering operations.
(d) Islamic government.
2. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(b) Early 1996.
(d) Late 1996.
3. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(a) Flower gardening.
(c) Bike riding.
(d) Flying to the United Nations.
4. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Rental terrorists."
(b) "Ad hoc terrorists."
(c) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
(d) "Cowboy terrorists."
5. Where was a champagne party held when the last Soviet troops left Afghanistan?
(a) MI6 headquarters.
(b) ISI headquarters.
(c) KGB headquarters.
(d) CIA headquarters.
6. By 1996, Massoud's popularity stood where?
7. In what year did the Taliban form?
8. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
(a) U.S., Yemen.
(b) Russia, U.S.
(c) Iran, Russia.
(d) Iran, Yemen.
9. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
10. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
11. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
(a) 12 July 1988.
(b) 16 October 1988.
(c) 18 January 1989.
(d) 14 April 1988.
12. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
13. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(c) Radical Islam.
(d) Nuclear capability.
14. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
15. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) March 1979.
(b) July 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) January 1979.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
2. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
3. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
4. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
5. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)