|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
(d) Medical supplies.
2. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(b) Mohammed Yousaf.
(c) Asad Durrani.
(d) Naseem Rana.
3. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
(a) Soviet decision to pull out of Afghanistan.
(b) Fall of the Berlin Wall.
(c) Tiananmen Square protests.
(d) State Department call for a successor to him.
4. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
(b) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(c) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(d) National Security Decision Directive 007.
5. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
(a) Howard Hart.
(b) Frank Anderson.
(c) Milton Bearden.
(d) Duane R. "Dewey" Clarridge.
6. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
7. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
8. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) March 1979.
(b) January 1979.
(c) July 1979.
(d) December 1979.
9. To what did the Saudis view the Soviet invasion as a threat?
(a) Saudi industrial wealth.
(b) Saudi oil wealth.
(c) Saudi gold wealth.
(d) Saudi mineral wealth.
10. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
(d) Soviet Union.
11. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
12. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(b) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(c) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(d) World Trade Center, New York.
13. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Northern Iraq.
(b) Southern Pakistan.
(c) Southern Afghanistan.
(d) Northern Yemen.
14. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
15. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
2. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
3. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
4. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
5. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)