|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
(a) January 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) July 1979.
2. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
(a) October 1987.
(b) January 1987.
(c) April 1987.
(d) July 1987.
3. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 October 1979.
(b) 21 December 1979.
(c) 21 September 1979.
(d) 21 November 1979.
4. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
(a) Peter Thompson.
(b) Thomas Peterson.
(c) Peter Tomsen.
(d) Peter Timmons.
5. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
(a) 5 killed, 3 wounded.
(b) 1 killed, 4 wounded.
(c) 2 killed, 3 wounded.
(d) 3 killed, 5 wounded.
6. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
7. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) John Deutch.
(b) Robert Gates.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) James Woolsey.
8. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(a) Minimal success.
(c) Significant success.
(d) Moderate success.
9. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
10. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
(a) Large amounts of gold .
(b) Large amounts of money .
(c) Large amounts of ammunition.
(d) Large amounts of drugs .
11. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Pixler Amendment.
(b) Baker Amendment.
(c) Reagan Amendment.
(d) Pressler Amendment.
12. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) World Trade Center, New York.
(b) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(c) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(d) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
13. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
14. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
(a) Religious conflict.
(b) Political unrest.
(c) Civil war.
15. Yosef was brought back to the U.S. on what date where he told the FBI that he was inspired by certain leaders but refused to say who?
(a) 4 November 1996.
(b) 5 June 1993.
(c) 2 July 1994.
(d) 8 February 1995.
Short Answer Questions
1. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
2. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
3. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
4. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
5. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)