|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
(a) Thomas Peterson.
(b) Peter Tomsen.
(c) Peter Timmons.
(d) Peter Thompson.
2. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
3. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
4. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Nazism or radical Judaism.
(b) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
(c) Communism or radical Islam.
(d) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
5. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
6. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(b) Osama bin Laden.
(c) Hamid Karzai.
(d) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
7. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
8. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Naseem Rana.
(b) Mohammed Yousaf.
(c) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(d) Asad Durrani.
9. By the mid-1980s, the Afghan rebels were staging attacks within what borders?
(c) Soviet Union.
10. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
(a) Howard Hart.
(b) Milton Bearden.
(c) Frank Anderson.
(d) Duane R. "Dewey" Clarridge.
11. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
(a) U.S., Yemen.
(b) Iran, Yemen.
(c) Russia, U.S.
(d) Iran, Russia.
12. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
(a) October 1987.
(b) July 1987.
(c) January 1987.
(d) April 1987.
13. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 February 1990.
(b) 1 February 1986.
(c) 1 August 1991.
(d) 1 August 1988.
14. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
15. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
(a) Large amounts of gold .
(b) Large amounts of ammunition.
(c) Large amounts of money .
(d) Large amounts of drugs .
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Massoud's group protect?
2. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
3. The U.S. embassy attack was coordinated by a radical group at which university?
4. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
5. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)