|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Former Afghan president.
(b) Current Afghan defense minister.
(c) Former Afghan defense minister.
(d) Current Afghan president.
2. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
(a) 18 January 1989.
(b) 16 October 1988.
(c) 12 July 1988.
(d) 14 April 1988.
3. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Office of Services.
(b) Travel Services Office.
(c) Office of Tour Services.
(d) Agency of Services.
4. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 October 1979.
(b) 21 September 1979.
(c) 21 November 1979.
(d) 21 December 1979.
5. Who was the Afghan bureau chief for the ISI from 1983-1987?
(a) Kuwaja Ziauddin.
(b) Naseem Rana.
(c) Mohammed Yousaf.
(d) Asad Durrani.
6. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(b) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(c) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
(d) National Security Decision Directive 007.
7. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 August 1991.
(b) 1 August 1988.
(c) 1 February 1986.
(d) 1 February 1990.
8. The Taliban leaders met with Saudi intelligence as they had to learn how to form and operate what?
(a) Rebel commando units.
(b) Taliban intelligence unit.
(c) Islamic government.
(d) Financial gathering operations.
9. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
10. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
(a) December 1979.
(b) July 1979.
(c) January 1979.
(d) March 1979.
11. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
(a) June 1985.
(b) August 1988.
(c) December 1987.
(d) October 1986.
12. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
(a) Milton Bearden.
(b) Frank Anderson.
(c) Duane R. "Dewey" Clarridge.
(d) Howard Hart.
13. Hart also met regularly with Akhtar due Rahman, who directed the ISI, Pakistan's intelligence agency known as what?
(a) Intra-Services Intelligence.
(b) Inter-Secret Intelligence.
(c) Inter-Services Intelligence.
(d) Intro-Services Intelligence.
14. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Communism or radical Islam.
(b) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
(c) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
(d) Nazism or radical Judaism.
15. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
2. There were how many direct contacts between a CIA officer and bin Laden in the 1980s?
3. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
4. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
5. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)