|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the CIA's Counterterrorist Center formed?
(a) 1 August 1988.
(b) 1 August 1991.
(c) 1 February 1990.
(d) 1 February 1986.
2. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
3. Saudi intelligence used what type of charities to funnel money to Afghanistan?
4. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
5. The CIA and ISI planned another offensive to build the strength of Massoud and other rebel leaders that called for them to take Kabul in which winter?
6. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(a) Nuclear capability.
(d) Radical Islam.
7. To what did the Saudis view the Soviet invasion as a threat?
(a) Saudi oil wealth.
(b) Saudi gold wealth.
(c) Saudi mineral wealth.
(d) Saudi industrial wealth.
8. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Surface-to-air missiles.
(b) Vehicle bombings.
(c) Commando raids.
9. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
10. Where did Massoud live from the age of 11?
11. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
12. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Hamid Karzai.
(b) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(c) Osama bin Laden.
(d) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
13. When was the ISI captured and sold a Russian SU-25 to the CIA?
(a) June 1985.
(b) October 1986.
(c) December 1987.
(d) August 1988.
14. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 November 1979.
(b) 21 December 1979.
(c) 21 September 1979.
(d) 21 October 1979.
15. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(a) Moderate success.
(c) Minimal success.
(d) Significant success.
Short Answer Questions
1. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
2. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
3. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
4. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
5. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)