|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Commando raid.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) Bomb explosion.
(d) Plane crash.
2. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
(a) Jihad Youth Organization.
(b) Hitler Youth Organization.
(c) Marxist Youth Organization.
(d) Muslim Youth Organization.
3. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
(a) Northern Yemen.
(b) Southern Afghanistan.
(c) Northern Iraq.
(d) Southern Pakistan.
4. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
5. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Commando raids.
(b) Surface-to-air missiles.
(c) Vehicle bombings.
6. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
(a) July 1979.
(b) January 1979.
(c) March 1979.
(d) December 1979.
7. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) William Milam.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) Madeleine Albright.
8. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
9. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
10. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
11. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
(d) Medical supplies.
12. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
13. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
(a) Tiananmen Square protests.
(b) Fall of the Berlin Wall.
(c) Soviet decision to pull out of Afghanistan.
(d) State Department call for a successor to him.
14. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
(b) Ordered it evacuated.
(c) Fled the valley.
(d) Set up military defenses.
15. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
Short Answer Questions
1. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
2. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
3. Saudi intelligence used what type of charities to funnel money to Afghanistan?
4. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
5. Chapter 12 revealed what about the State Department and CIA in 1991?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)