|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(a) Only once.
(b) Several times.
(c) Many times.
2. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
(a) Saudi Arabia, U.S.
(b) Pakistan, U.S.
(c) Afghanistan, Pakistan.
(d) Afghanistan, U.S.
3. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(b) Late 1996.
(c) Early 1996.
4. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
5. Many of the reports from Algeria, Egypt, and Tunisia were treated how in Washington?
(d) Required more study.
6. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
7. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
8. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) Edmund McWilliams.
(b) Robert Gates.
(c) John Deutch.
(d) James Woolsey.
9. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Rental terrorists."
(b) "Ad hoc terrorists."
(c) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
(d) "Cowboy terrorists."
10. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
11. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(a) Flower gardening.
(b) Bike riding.
(c) Flying to the United Nations.
12. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(c) Radical Islam.
(d) Nuclear capability.
13. How was President Zia killed?
(a) Commando raid.
(b) Bomb explosion.
(c) Plane crash.
(d) Heart attack.
14. Where was a champagne party held when the last Soviet troops left Afghanistan?
(a) MI6 headquarters.
(b) CIA headquarters.
(c) ISI headquarters.
(d) KGB headquarters.
15. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
Short Answer Questions
1. The CIA fed what to Massoud's organization during the war with the Soviet Union?
2. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
3. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
4. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
5. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)