|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Osama bin Laden.
(b) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(c) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(d) Hamid Karzai.
2. The CIA did not favor the use of Stingers because they could be used by terrorists against what?
(a) Civilian airliners.
(b) Civilian ambulances.
(c) Civilian ships.
(d) Civilian freight vehicles.
3. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
(a) 18 January 1989.
(b) 12 July 1988.
(c) 14 April 1988.
(d) 16 October 1988.
4. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
5. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
6. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(b) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
(c) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(d) National Security Decision Directive 007.
7. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
(a) Robert Gates.
(b) John Deutch.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) James Woolsey.
8. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
9. How frequently did Casey visit the Saudis and Pakistanis?
(b) Many times.
(c) Only once.
(d) Several times.
10. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) William Milam.
(b) Edmund McWilliams.
(c) Madeleine Albright.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
11. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(c) Radical Islam.
(d) Nuclear capability.
12. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
(a) Peter Timmons.
(b) Peter Thompson.
(c) Peter Tomsen.
(d) Thomas Peterson.
13. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Surface-to-air missiles.
(b) Vehicle bombings.
(d) Commando raids.
14. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
15. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
Short Answer Questions
1. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
2. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
3. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
4. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
5. Many of the Kandahar Durranis were living where in exile in 1994?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)