|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) January 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) July 1979.
(d) December 1979.
2. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Fled the valley.
(b) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
(c) Set up military defenses.
(d) Ordered it evacuated.
3. What city was a haven for noted radical Carlos the Jackal?
4. Where did Massoud live from the age of 11?
5. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) William Milam.
(b) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(c) Edmund McWilliams.
(d) Madeleine Albright.
6. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
7. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
(a) Saudi Arabia.
8. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
9. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
10. When was Bin Laden in Saudi Arabia to promote radical Islamic policies that irritated the government that he had to leave?
11. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(b) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
(c) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(d) National Security Decision Directive 007.
12. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
13. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Ad hoc terrorists."
(b) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
(c) "Cowboy terrorists."
(d) "Rental terrorists."
14. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Baker Amendment.
(b) Pressler Amendment.
(c) Pixler Amendment.
(d) Reagan Amendment.
15. When was there a meeting in Moscow in which the Soviets decided to pull out of Afghanistan within a year or two?
(a) 31 May 1987.
(b) 21 March 1987.
(c) 12 January 1987.
(d) 13 November 1986.
Short Answer Questions
1. The success of the CIA depended on Hart's ability to work with Akhtar due Rahman in developing what list?
2. Who was the CIA chief selected when the Bill Clinton administration took office?
3. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
4. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
5. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)