|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Islamic opposition revolt against the established communist Russian government in Herat, Afghanistan?
(a) December 1979.
(b) July 1979.
(c) March 1979.
(d) January 1979.
2. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
3. Yousef received jihad bomb training and participated in the attack where?
(a) U.S. Marine barracks, Beirut.
(b) U.S. embassy, Tehran.
(c) Afghan capitol building, Kabul.
(d) World Trade Center, New York.
4. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Commando raids.
(b) Surface-to-air missiles.
(c) Vehicle bombings.
5. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
(a) Soviet decision to pull out of Afghanistan.
(b) Fall of the Berlin Wall.
(c) State Department call for a successor to him.
(d) Tiananmen Square protests.
6. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Ad hoc terrorists."
(b) "Rental terrorists."
(c) "Cowboy terrorists."
(d) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
7. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
8. Prince Turki al-Faisal was chief of Saudi intelligence during what period?
9. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
10. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
(a) Bike riding.
(b) Flying to the United Nations.
(d) Flower gardening.
11. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
12. Abdullah Azzam moved to Peshawar from Islamabad in 1984 and founded what to raise money?
(a) Travel Services Office.
(b) Office of Tour Services.
(c) Agency of Services.
(d) Office of Services.
13. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
14. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
(a) 21 September 1979.
(b) 21 December 1979.
(c) 21 October 1979.
(d) 21 November 1979.
15. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the new Department of State special envoy to the Afghan resistance that served from 1989-1992?
2. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
3. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
4. The ISI began to supply the Taliban in 1995, which soon controlled what region?
5. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)