|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
(b) Edmund McWilliams.
(c) William Milam.
(d) Madeleine Albright.
2. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
(b) Set up military defenses.
(c) Ordered it evacuated.
(d) Fled the valley.
3. Like all students at the time while attending Kabul Polytechnic Institute, what did Massoud have a choice between?
(a) Leninism or radical Buddhism.
(b) Marxism or radical Hinduism.
(c) Communism or radical Islam.
(d) Nazism or radical Judaism.
4. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
5. According to Chapter 10, where did Jallaladin Haqqanni operate near and test weapons and equipment for the CIA?
(a) Eagle's Beak.
(b) Hawk's Beak.
(c) Pelican's Beak.
(d) Parrot's Beak.
6. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) March 1979.
(b) July 1979.
(c) January 1979.
(d) December 1979.
7. It was decided to treat terrorists as criminals with no claims to political legitimacy, and which was selected as the lead agency in 1995?
8. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Surface-to-air missiles.
(c) Vehicle bombings.
(d) Commando raids.
9. The CIA-sponsored rebels were facing what type of constant Soviet attacks in 1986?
10. What was the new U.S. plan for covert war in Afghanistan known as?
(a) National Security Decision Directive 166.
(b) National Security Decision Directive 007.
(c) National Security Decision Directive Tight Fist.
(d) National Security Decision Directive U-2.
11. In 1993. the CIA was warned by the State Department envoy in Central Asia that the policy of allowing the Afghans to find their own solution achieved what?
(a) Moderate success.
(b) Significant success.
(c) Minimal success.
12. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
13. What group did Massoud join while at Kabul Polytechnic Institute?
(a) Jihad Youth Organization.
(b) Marxist Youth Organization.
(c) Muslim Youth Organization.
(d) Hitler Youth Organization.
14. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
(a) White House.
(b) CIA headquarters.
(d) U.N. headquarters.
15. The author identified which rebel as the one the Saudis viewed as most important?
(a) Osama bin Laden.
(b) Gulbuddin Hekmatyar.
(c) Abdurrab Rasul Sayyaf.
(d) Hamid Karzai.
Short Answer Questions
1. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
2. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
3. The ISI Afghan operations director's plans to cut Soviet supply lines were frustrated when Afghan rebels refused to take part in suicide missions for what reason?
4. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
5. What transpired in November 1989 that meant Afghan President Najibullah was no longer part of a world Communist movement?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)