|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cofer Black became the CIA station chief in which capital city in 1993?
2. When did the Soviets attack bin Laden's camp at Jaji which established him as a warrior with Arab jihadists?
(a) October 1987.
(b) July 1987.
(c) January 1987.
(d) April 1987.
3. Not long after they formed, the Taliban captured what city?
4. Since Pakistan was close to having nuclear capability, American aid ended under what law?
(a) Reagan Amendment.
(b) Baker Amendment.
(c) Pressler Amendment.
(d) Pixler Amendment.
5. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
6. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
7. Yosef and his associates also had plans to hijack a plane and crash it where?
(a) White House.
(b) CIA headquarters.
(d) U.N. headquarters.
8. What action did Massoud take when the Soviets planned to attack the Panjshir Valley?
(a) Assimilated into neighboring towns.
(b) Fled the valley.
(c) Set up military defenses.
(d) Ordered it evacuated.
9. Such attacks continued world-wide and U.S. intelligence saw a new terrorist generation had emerged by what point?
(a) Late 1996.
(d) Early 1996.
10. What term did Paul Pillar, a chief analyst at the CIA Counterterrorist Center, use when he described individuals like Yousef?
(a) "Cowboy terrorists."
(b) "Tinkertoy terrorists."
(c) "Rental terrorists."
(d) "Ad hoc terrorists."
11. In what year did the Taliban form?
12. The Taliban was initiated with which individual as its leader?
(a) Mullah Mohammed Omar.
(b) Mahmoud Ahmed.
(c) Mohammed Yousaf.
(d) Mullah Mohammed Rabbani.
13. What was seen as the biggest threat once the Soviets pulled out of Afghanistan?
(b) Nuclear capability.
(d) Radical Islam.
14. Hamid Gul was Director-General of the ISI during what period?
15. By what time had bin Laden moved to Peshawar?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the treaty for the Soviet withdrawal signed in Geneva?
2. Mir Amal Kasi was from a wealthy Pakistani family near Quetta who worked as a what?
3. Where was Ramzi Yousef born where but his family fled during the Iraq invasion?
4. Who became the CIA station chief in Islamabad in July 1986?
5. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)