|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
(a) July 1979.
(b) March 1979.
(c) December 1979.
(d) January 1979.
2. To what did the Saudis view the Soviet invasion as a threat?
(a) Saudi gold wealth.
(b) Saudi oil wealth.
(c) Saudi industrial wealth.
(d) Saudi mineral wealth.
3. In Chapter Five, what did CIA director William Casey advise President Ronald Reagan about their Afghanistan campaign?
(a) It had been successful.
(b) It was not yet finished.
(c) It had been partially successful.
(d) It had failed.
4. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Current Afghan president.
(b) Former Afghan president.
(c) Current Afghan defense minister.
(d) Former Afghan defense minister.
5. When did the Soviets invade Afghanistan with their goal to kill the Afghan leader, Hafizullah Amin, and install a new communist regime?
(a) July 1979.
(b) January 1979.
(c) March 1979.
(d) December 1979.
6. The new National Security Decision Directive in 1985 made it harder to keep CIA involvement secret and there was concern the Soviets would retaliate against what nations?
(a) Afghanistan, Pakistan.
(b) Saudi Arabia, U.S.
(c) Afghanistan, U.S.
(d) Pakistan, U.S.
7. In what year did CIA agent Howard Hart become the station chief in Islamabad?
8. What casualties resulted when Kasi fired upon employees as they entered the CIA headquarters on 23 January 1993?
(a) 1 killed, 4 wounded.
(b) 3 killed, 5 wounded.
(c) 2 killed, 3 wounded.
(d) 5 killed, 3 wounded.
9. In Chapter 10, whose views in the Department of State ran counter to those of the CIA at Langley?
(a) Edmund McWilliams.
(b) Madeleine Albright.
(c) William Milam.
(d) Karl F. "Rick" Inderfurth.
10. The war in Afghanistan cost the Soviet Union how many billion dollars?
11. Egyptian Sheikh Rahman suffered from what physical disability?
12. Bin Laden had already formed the al-Qaeda and moved his family back to Saudi Arabia in what year?
13. After he was attacked by the Soviets at Jaji, bin Laden met Aymen al-Zawahiri, preached global jihad, and initiated what sort of campaign?
(a) Commando raids.
(c) Surface-to-air missiles.
(d) Vehicle bombings.
14. Bin Laden was sponsoring jihad in Communist Yemen and opposed the Saudi government when they allowed American troops in to liberate which nation?
15. Yosef was brought back to the U.S. on what date where he told the FBI that he was inspired by certain leaders but refused to say who?
(a) 8 February 1995.
(b) 4 November 1996.
(c) 2 July 1994.
(d) 5 June 1993.
Short Answer Questions
1. By September 1994, which two nations stopped funding activities in Afghanistan?
2. Economic sanctions were imposed by the U.S. against which nation in 1993 because of government-sponsored terrorism?
3. Benazir Bhutto told America it would bring peace to the nation, but did not tell them about aid to the Taliban from where?
4. With what was the CIA and government more concerned when they received this Central Asia envoy's warning?
5. When did riots in Islamabad and an attack on the U.S. embassy take place?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)