|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 6-7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Massoud was a top target for the Soviets because his group used and repaired captured weapons and equipment against which nationality?
2. Gary Schroen, a CIA agent, met with Ahmed Shah Massoud, who was what?
(a) Former Afghan defense minister.
(b) Current Afghan defense minister.
(c) Former Afghan president.
(d) Current Afghan president.
3. Saudi intelligence used what type of charities to funnel money to Afghanistan?
4. The ISI Afghan operations director's plans to cut Soviet supply lines were frustrated when Afghan rebels refused to take part in suicide missions for what reason?
(a) It presented unnecessary risk to civilians.
(b) It was against their religious beliefs.
(c) It was an inhumane method of warfare.
(d) They could not infiltrate Soviet lines.
5. Schroen said the U.S., which left Afghanistan when the Soviet Union dissolved, would return for what reason?
(b) Political unrest.
(c) Civil war.
(d) Religious conflict.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point was the CIA allowed to begin operations in Afghanistan using Zia's intelligence service as an intermediary?
2. Most embassy personnel in Islamabad awaited military dictator Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq's help, but he was doing what?
3. While he received money and supplies through the CIA without the Pakistanis knowing it, Massoud had no contact with the CIA during what decade because of the CIA agreement with Pakistan?
4. By 1996, Massoud's popularity stood where?
5. What did Massoud's group protect?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)