|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one reason Horvendil wants his son, Hamblet, to return from school?
2. How does Geruthe describe her idea of love?
3. After Fengon returns from Lokisheim, where does he immediately go to in the castle?
4. What does Geruthe tell Corambis that the favor is for?
5. When do Gertrude and Claudius marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two reasons why Horvendil wants Hamblet to return from his studies at Wittenberg.
2. Why does Gertrude agree to marry Claudius so soon after King Hamlet's death?
3. Describe the situation that causes Geruthe to desire Fengon.
4. What does Geruthe need from Fengon to confirm that he really loves and understands her?
5. Describe how Fengon feels about his brother while he is in the audience chamber.
6. Describe the name changes that take place upon Claudius's coronation.
7. Describe the difference between Fengon's idea of love and intimacy and how it is different than Geruthe's.
8. What was Corambis's involvement with the king's murder?
9. Describe why Claudius is angry with Hamlet after King Hamlet's death.
10. Why does Geruthe believe that Ophelia would be a good wife for Hamblet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gertrude's son, Hamlet, is described by many characters in the book. Choose one of the following options to write an essay.
1. How does Gertrude describe her son Hamlet? What does she see in Hamlet that is good? What does she see in him that is dark and distant?
2. How does Claudius describe Hamlet? What are Claudius's intentions with Hamlet? Is Claudius more like Gertrude or King Hamlet in his opinion of the young Hamlet?
Essay Topic 2
Each of the main characters has a relationship that involves loving another person. Which character do you think gives the most love to other people? Which character do you think is the most lovable by other characters? Explain your reasoning for each answer.
Essay Topic 3
Fengon's decision to murder Horvendil is made quickly without much consideration. Explain your opinions to the following questions. Do you think that Fengon made his decision too hastily? Or did Fengon make his decision with the perfect timing? Do you think Fengon would have been so quick to kill if it had not been for Corambis? Who do you think is more guilty of murder, Fengon or Corambis? Why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)