|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Geruthe's first response to hearing Fengon describe his vow?
2. What does Horvendil think of Geruthe's actions in the affair?
3. Who does Geruthe suggest as a good wife for Hamblet?
4. How old is Ophelia when she is summoned to Gertrude's chambers?
5. Geruthe is now forty-seven years old. When was the last time Geruthe and Fengon have seen each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Fengon feels about his brother while he is in the audience chamber.
2. Why does Gertrude agree to marry Claudius so soon after King Hamlet's death?
3. Describe the plan to kill Horvendil.
4. Describe why the first secret meeting with Fengon and Geruthe at the lodge is an awkward event for both characters.
5. Describe Ophelia's ideas about Hamlet and his personality.
6. How does Gertrude feel about the King's death?
7. Describe some reasons why Claudius wants Hamlet to stay at Elsinore and not at Wittenberg.
8. Describe why Claudius is angry with Hamlet after King Hamlet's death.
9. Describe how Horvendil behaves in the audience chamber when he speaks to Fengon.
10. Describe the difference between Fengon's idea of love and intimacy and how it is different than Geruthe's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay to describe the role of the supporting characters in the story. Include at least four supporting characters. Describe how they are associated with the main characters, and how their decisions affect the lives of the main characters.
Essay Topic 2
At many points in the story Gertrude is not content with her life. Explain your opinion of the following question. Do you think that Gertrude has been a victim of circumstance, or do you think her discontent is of her own doing?
Essay Topic 3
Corambus/Corambis/Polonius evolves in character as the story unfolds. Write a three part essay with the following.
Part 1. Explain the change from Corambus to Polonius in character and behavior.
Part 2. Why do you think his character changes? Give an explanation for his change into Polonius.
Part 3. Do you think Corambus or Polonius is a better friend to have? Why?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)