|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Horvendil think of Geruthe's actions in the affair?
2. Why does Fengon come to see Geruthe at the lodge?
3. What is the sin that Fengon believes Geruthe and himself have committed in their affair?
4. What does Geruthe admit to doing with the falcon?
5. What language inspires Fengon's choice of name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Geruthe asks for the help of Corambis in order to secretly meet with Fengon.
2. Describe some reasons why Claudius wants Hamlet to stay at Elsinore and not at Wittenberg.
3. Describe why the first secret meeting with Fengon and Geruthe at the lodge is an awkward event for both characters.
4. Describe the situation that causes Geruthe to desire Fengon.
5. How does Gertrude feel about the King's death?
6. Describe how Horvendil behaves in the audience chamber when he speaks to Fengon.
7. Why does Geruthe believe that Ophelia would be a good wife for Hamblet?
8. Describe the plan to kill Horvendil.
9. Describe the difference between Fengon's idea of love and intimacy and how it is different than Geruthe's.
10. Describe the name changes that take place upon Claudius's coronation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fengon's decision to murder Horvendil is made quickly without much consideration. Explain your opinions to the following questions. Do you think that Fengon made his decision too hastily? Or did Fengon make his decision with the perfect timing? Do you think Fengon would have been so quick to kill if it had not been for Corambis? Who do you think is more guilty of murder, Fengon or Corambis? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Chose one of the following characters to write a complete character description for, and explain their personality over the course of the story.
4. King Hamlet.
Essay Topic 3
When Horvendil is told of the affair between his wife and his brother, his reaction is severe. He decides to seize Fengon's assets and execute Corambis. Answer the following questions in a three part essay.
Part 1. Do you think that Horvendil is being cruel to his brother, or do you think it is a just punishment for Fengon? Why or why not?
Part 2. Do you think that Horvendil is overreacting to the situation with his decision to execute Corambis? Why or why not?
Part 3. What does Horvendil's decisions tell us about him as a man and a king?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)