|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Geruthe's real intentions with Corambis' favor?
2. Why does Geruthe summon Corambis on a day that the king is out?
3. Why does Fengon come to see Geruthe at the lodge?
4. Who does Geruthe suggest as a good wife for Hamblet?
5. How does Horvendil describe Fengon in the audience chamber?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why the first secret meeting with Fengon and Geruthe at the lodge is an awkward event for both characters.
2. Describe Geruthe's feelings immediately after she is kissed by Fengon in the royal palace.
3. Describe two reasons why Horvendil wants Hamblet to return from his studies at Wittenberg.
4. Describe the difference between Fengon's idea of love and intimacy and how it is different than Geruthe's.
5. Describe the name changes that take place upon Claudius's coronation.
6. How does Gertrude feel about the King's death?
7. What does Geruthe need from Fengon to confirm that he really loves and understands her?
8. Describe why Geruthe suddenly wants to be rid of Corambis.
9. Why does Horvendil think that Ophelia is a poor choice for a wife?
10. Describe how Horvendil behaves in the audience chamber when he speaks to Fengon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fengon's decision to murder Horvendil is made quickly without much consideration. Explain your opinions to the following questions. Do you think that Fengon made his decision too hastily? Or did Fengon make his decision with the perfect timing? Do you think Fengon would have been so quick to kill if it had not been for Corambis? Who do you think is more guilty of murder, Fengon or Corambis? Why?
Essay Topic 2
When Horvendil is told of the affair between his wife and his brother, his reaction is severe. He decides to seize Fengon's assets and execute Corambis. Answer the following questions in a three part essay.
Part 1. Do you think that Horvendil is being cruel to his brother, or do you think it is a just punishment for Fengon? Why or why not?
Part 2. Do you think that Horvendil is overreacting to the situation with his decision to execute Corambis? Why or why not?
Part 3. What does Horvendil's decisions tell us about him as a man and a king?
Essay Topic 3
Chose one of the following characters to write a complete character description for, and explain their personality over the course of the story.
4. King Hamlet.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)