|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
2. Why does Gerutha's back hurt during her wedding day?
3. Which of the following is a name in Part 1?
4. Which is evidence that Horwendil does not really love Gerutha?
5. Where do the names in Part 2 of the story come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Amleth as a baby and a boy.
2. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
3. Describe how Gerutha, Horwendil, Amblet, and Feng's names change in parts 2 and 3 of the story.
4. What does Gerutha see as different about her father when he gives her his blessing?
5. What is disappointing about the name Amleth for Gerutha?
6. Describe Gerutha on her wedding night.
7. How does Gerutha think that Feng and herself are in similar situations?
8. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
9. What is similar between Bathsheba, the falcon whose eyes are sealed, and the characters of Gerutha and Feng?
10. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The are a multitude of events over the course of the story. Which events in the story provide the most important turning points that move the plot? Write a three part essay to discuss this question.
Part 1. Which events do you believe are key events in the story? Choose three or four events and describe why you think they are the most important.
Part 2. Describe how each of the key events affect the main characters in the story.
Part 3. If you had to choose a single or most important event, which would it be? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay to describe the role of the supporting characters in the story. Include at least four supporting characters. Describe how they are associated with the main characters, and how their decisions affect the lives of the main characters.
Essay Topic 3
Gertrude's son, Hamlet, is described by many characters in the book. Choose one of the following options to write an essay.
1. How does Gertrude describe her son Hamlet? What does she see in Hamlet that is good? What does she see in him that is dark and distant?
2. How does Claudius describe Hamlet? What are Claudius's intentions with Hamlet? Is Claudius more like Gertrude or King Hamlet in his opinion of the young Hamlet?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)