|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character reflects on a difficulty in loving Hamlet?
2. What doesn't Gerutha enjoy about her visit to Feng's estate?
3. What does Gerutha do to pass the sleigh trip after the wedding?
4. What is made clear about Gerutha's opinion of Horwendil?
5. Who is Ophelia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Feng's personality and character.
2. Describe Rorik's physical appearance as he is introduced in the story.
3. Why do Horwendil and Gerutha fight over Amleth leaving for school?
4. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
5. What does Gerutha think of married women?
6. Describe the springtime for Gerutha; what things are changing in her life?
7. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
8. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
9. Describe the conversation Gerutha has with Corambus about her son Amleth.
10. Describe why Feng feels he must leave Denmark.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many strong characters and personalities in the story, including Gertrude and Claudius. Think about these questions as you write an answer for each part in the essay. Has Gertrude's character changed after many years of marriage? Or is she still the bold young woman of sixteen at heart?
Part 1. Describe the personalities of Gertrude and Claudius when they were first married. Compare it to Gertrude's character at the end of the story.
Part 2. Explain how each character is "strong" in their own way.
Part 3. Do you think that Gertrude's personality has weakened with years of marriage? Has she become old and sodden?
Essay Topic 2
At many points in the story Gertrude is not content with her life. Explain your opinion of the following question. Do you think that Gertrude has been a victim of circumstance, or do you think her discontent is of her own doing?
Essay Topic 3
In Act 1 we meet King Rorik, Gerutha, and Horwendil. Of these characters, who do you think has the most accurate idea of love?
Part 1. Describe each character's position on love and perhaps what they think is love should be.
Part 2. Describe your idea or definition of love and how is it similar or different to each of the character's ideas.
Part 3. Explain why you think the character has the most accurate idea of love. Include examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)