|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
2. Who is Feng's Falconer?
3. What is Gerutha's interpretation of the songbirds singing?
4. Which statement is true about Gerutha?
5. Why are there Christian priests in Jutland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do the names come from in the story?
2. How does Gerutha respond to her father's apology before he dies?
3. Describe Rorik's physical appearance as he is introduced in the story.
4. Do you think that Horwendil is really interested in making Gerutha happy with their marriage? Why or why not?
5. Describe Horwendil's personality.
6. Describe how the conversation during the sleigh ride displays the difference in the personality between Horwendil and Gerutha.
7. Describe Gerutha's physical appearance as a young woman when she is first introduced in the story.
8. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
9. Describe Amleth as a baby and a boy.
10. How does King Rorik try to convince his daughter that she will come to love Horwendil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both the brothers, Claudius and Hamlet, have their time at the throne. Create an essay from your opinions to the following questions. Which brother do you think makes a better king? Why? What characteristics make a good king or bad king? Who deserves to be king more, Feng or Horwendil?
Essay Topic 2
Gertrude and her son, Hamlet, have a relationship that feels distant and void of intimacy. Write a three part essay to discuss the following points.
Part 1. Describe Gertrude's feelings about her son when he was an infant and young boy.
Part 2. Why do you think Gertrude has a hard time loving her son?
Part 3. Do you think Hamlet's disposition toward women is Gertrude's fault? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
At many points in the story Gertrude is not content with her life. Explain your opinion of the following question. Do you think that Gertrude has been a victim of circumstance, or do you think her discontent is of her own doing?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)