|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the situation with the songbirds reveal about Horwendil's personality?
2. In what city does the Hamlet story have a history of being printed?
3. What happened to Gerutha´s mother, Ona, when Gertrude was three years old?
4. What words best describe Gerutha as a wife?
5. Why is Corambus resentful of Horwendil?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the songbirds, a gift from Horwendil, demonstrate the difference between the personalities of Horwendil and Gerutha.
2. Describe Gerutha's physical appearance as a young woman when she is first introduced in the story.
3. Describe Horwendil's personality.
4. What does Gerutha think of married women?
5. Describe Gerutha's prediction of Horwendil as a husband.
6. Name three supporting characters and describe their association with one of the main characters.
7. What is disappointing about the name Amleth for Gerutha?
8. How does Gerutha think that Feng and herself are in similar situations?
9. Describe Ophelia and why she is considered beautiful.
10. Describe the conversation Gerutha has with Corambus about her son Amleth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Geruthe and Fengon have different ideas of love. The difference makes the affair awkward at first until Fengon proves that he understands Geruthe's needs in love. Choose one of the following options to write an essay.
1. Describe the difference between Geruthe and Fengon in terms of their ideals in love.
2. Geruthe has been a married woman for many years. Fengon was married but for only a few years. How do you think this affects their ideals in love?
3. What does Geruthe need from Fengon before she can continue the affair? Why is this so important to her?
Essay Topic 2
Falconry is a common sport at the time of the story. Gerutha is disturbed by the sport's violence and the blinding of the falcons involved. Write a three part essay to discuss your answers to the following questions.
Part 1. Describe why Gertutha is made uncomfortable with the falcons used for sport.
Part 2. Explain the analogy between the blinded falcon and the affair of Gerutha and Feng.
Part 3. Describe how Gerutha feels after she releases Bathsheba. Do you think it is similar to the remorse of a passed love?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the main characters has a relationship that involves loving another person. Which character do you think gives the most love to other people? Which character do you think is the most lovable by other characters? Explain your reasoning for each answer.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)