|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Johnny Paul, could Mapes NOT see?
2. Who arrived at the end of the chapter?
3. When did Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
4. Where does Lou Dimes work?
5. Who teased Billy when he missed the rabbit?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
2. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
3. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
4. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
5. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
6. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
7. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
8. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
9. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
10. What color was the dress Corrine wore and the color of the bedspread used to cover the body? Why is this important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 2
What did the Cajuns come to symbolize to the black people on the river?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss man vs. machine. The tractors vs. mules. How had life on the plantation changed due to this invention?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)