|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aunt Glo?
2. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
3. What does Bea need before she will think of more names?
4. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
5. What was the women's reaction to Mapes slapping Uncle Billy and Gable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
2. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
3. What was happening to the black graveyards?
4. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
5. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
6. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
7. Who were Salt and Pepper?
8. Why did Mapes respect Mathu?
9. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
10. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Gil's life different from his family? How was he torn between the two worlds?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
Essay Topic 3
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)