|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
2. What did Gil want most?
3. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
4. Why was Lou not at work?
5. Janey calls two people on the phone. Who are they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
2. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
3. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
4. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
5. Who was Oliver?
6. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
7. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
8. Who were Salt and Pepper?
9. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
10. What was the significance of Chimley's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did a different person narrating each chapter change the story? What would have been different if Lou Dimes had narrated all the chapters? Or Chimley. Or Candy. Or Clatoo?
Essay Topic 2
How was Gil's life different from his family? How was he torn between the two worlds?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)