|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janey live?
2. How did Chimley fire his gun?
3. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
4. What, according to Johnny Paul, could Mapes NOT see?
5. What did Cherry Bello own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
2. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
3. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
4. Who was Oliver?
5. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
6. How did each man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
7. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
8. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
9. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
10. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)