|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Candy say to Miss Merle when she saw her?
2. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
3. What did Candy always wear?
4. What is Janey's job?
5. Why did Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the goal of Reverend Jameson?
2. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
3. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
4. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
5. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
6. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
7. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
8. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
9. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
10. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)