|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Chimley not like white people calling him by his nickname?
2. How did Tucker's brother Silas get into trouble with white people?
3. What did Candy ask Snookum to do?
4. What did the men begin saying one at a time?
5. How was Yank dressed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening to the black graveyards?
2. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
3. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
4. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
5. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
6. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
7. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
8. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
9. Who was Oliver?
10. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss man vs. machine. The tractors vs. mules. How had life on the plantation changed due to this invention?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miss Merle and Charlie. How do they represent the past, present and future? What would they like their world's to look like? What will change in Miss Merle's world after the events of the story? How will the friends of Charlie's be changed by his death?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)