|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
2. What did Miss Merle see when she turned into the quarters?
3. What did Chimley tell his wife when he left the house?
4. Why was Lou not at work?
5. What did Clatoo do with the shoe box?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
2. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
3. Who was Oliver?
4. What was happening to the black graveyards?
5. Who were Salt and Pepper?
6. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
7. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
8. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
9. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
10. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
Essay Topic 2
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)