|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
2. Where does Janey live?
3. Who carried his gun like a soldier?
4. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
5. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
2. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
3. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
4. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
5. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
6. What was the goal of Reverend Jameson?
7. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
8. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
9. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
10. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was Gil's life different from his family? How was he torn between the two worlds?
Essay Topic 2
How did each person telling their story make an impact on the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)