|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Lou not at work?
2. Who is Aunt Glo?
3. What did Clatoo do with the shoe box?
4. How was Gable's son put to death?
5. What did Chimley's wife say when Chimley came home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cherry talk about the fields of cane? What are the fields of cane a symbol of for Cherry's people?
2. Why did Mat and Chimley wait before they took action?
3. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
4. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
5. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
6. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
7. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
8. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
9. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
10. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Candy and Beau. How are they the same? Different? What did they mean to their people? How could they change the future?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)