|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gil and Sully arrived at the Marshall quarters, Sully thought it looked like an episode from what T.V. show?
2. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
3. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
4. Where does Lou Dimes work?
5. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
2. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
3. Who was Oliver?
4. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
5. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
6. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
7. What was the significance of Chimley's name?
8. What was happening to the black graveyards?
9. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
10. How did each man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did each person telling their story make an impact on the story as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mapes and Mathu. Describe their friendship. Why are they important to their own people? How will their lives change from the events of this day?
Essay Topic 3
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)