|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
2. Who is Snookum's grandmother?
3. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
4. When Miss Merle arrives back at the Marshall house, what does she tell Bea?
5. How did Candy's parents die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
2. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
3. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
4. Who were Salt and Pepper?
5. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
6. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
7. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
8. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
9. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
10. What was the goal of Reverend Jameson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters do you think changed the most and the least in this story. Why? What made them change or not change?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)