|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janey work for?
2. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
3. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
4. What did Cherry Bello own?
5. When Gil and Sully arrived at the Marshall quarters, Sully thought it looked like an episode from what T.V. show?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
2. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
3. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
4. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
5. What had happened on the river that narrowed the fishing area for Chimley and Mat?
6. Who were Salt and Pepper?
7. What color was the dress Corrine wore and the color of the bedspread used to cover the body? Why is this important?
8. Who was Oliver?
9. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
10. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships between white and black in this town in the Deep South. Explain the relationships between the black and white people in this town. Why didn't they change after slavery and after civil rights? Why is this town so far behind the times?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)