|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
2. Why was Clatoo dressed in a nice shirt and bow tie?
3. What did Chimley tell his wife when he left the house?
4. When Gil arrived at the scene of the crime, how long had his brother been dead?
5. Who helped raise Candy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
2. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
3. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
4. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
5. Who was Oliver?
6. What was the nature of the relationship between Candy and Lou?
7. What are the Major and Miss Bea doing?
8. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
9. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
10. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
Essay Topic 3
How was Gil's life different from his family? How was he torn between the two worlds?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)