|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Tucker's brother Silas get into trouble with white people?
2. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
3. What did Clatoo do with the shoe box?
4. Why did Cherry not like the sight of an empty cane field?
5. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did all the men shoot their guns once?
2. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
3. Why did Mapes respect Mathu?
4. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
5. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
6. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
7. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
8. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
9. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
10. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 2
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss past, present and future. What characters in this story represent the past? The present? The future?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)