|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aunt Glo?
2. Why does Janey worry when Miss Bea is gathering pecans?
3. What was Beulah angry about?
4. What is the garry?
5. Why did Jacob feel bad about his sister's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
2. How did each man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
3. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
4. Who was Tucker's brother and what was the battle that brought man against machine?
5. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
6. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
7. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
8. Why did Chimley not mind if black people called him by his nickhame, but hated it when white people used his nickname?
9. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
10. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 2
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)