Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Candy's parents die?
2. What kind of a cap is Chimley wearing?
3. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
4. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
5. How does Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy does not shoot Beau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes in from the kitchen and what is he doing there? Where is he all day?
2. When Miss Merle arrives with sandwiches, what does she do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
3. Why does Candy tell all the old black men to shoot their guns once?
4. Why does Miss Merle slap Janey and why does Janey stand there and take it?
5. Why is Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
6. What is happening to the black graveyards?
7. Why does each old black man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
8. What color is the dress Corrine wears and the color of the bedspread she uses to cover the body? Why is this important?
9. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
10. What does Gil's coach want to tell Gill? Why aren't Cal and Sully in this meeting?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Leroy, who is part of the lynch mob and gets wounded in the shoot-out, Tee Jack who owns the store/bar where the lynch mob meets up, Jack Marshall, who just drinks his days away and owns 1/3 of the Marshall plantation, and the quiet professor in the bar. What does each man symbolize in the context of race relations and racism? Discuss each man's approach to race and how they express their opinion about race. If any of these characters take a different action that day, how does it change the story?
Essay Topic 2
Miss Merle is waiting for a decade for the Major to notice her. She has her servant, Lucy, bake the Major a pie. These are two examples of how Miss Merle views her world. Give other examples of Miss Merle's behavior that indicates that she is old-fashioned and comfortable with the old ways of doing things. Discuss when Miss Merle shows her anger and fear at how the events of the day changes her world.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the aftermath of the shoot-out and the trial. Do you think life is better or worse for black people in this community? Why? Is life different at all, or does everyone go back to the way it is? What signs do you see in the final chapter that indicate a change in the future of Gil, Candy, Lou, Mapes and all the old black men?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)