|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who baked the apple pie?
2. What was Beulah angry about?
3. How did the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
4. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
5. What did Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Cherry talk about the fields of cane? What are the fields of cane a symbol of for Cherry's people?
2. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
3. What color was the dress Corrine wore and the color of the bedspread used to cover the body? Why is this important?
4. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
5. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
6. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
7. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
8. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
9. What was happening to the black graveyards?
10. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss past, present and future. What characters in this story represent the past? The present? The future?
Essay Topic 3
Light-skinned blacks vs. dark-skinned blacks. Explain what is happening in this story between the people who are light-skinned and the people who are dark-skinned. How did these prejudices begin?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)