|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
2. How was Gable's son put to death?
3. According to Chimley's story, who got in a fistfight with Fix?
4. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
5. What happened when Mat returned home with his fish?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
2. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
3. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
4. Why did Clatoo stop the truck before he got to Mathu's?
5. Who were Salt and Pepper?
6. How can readers tell that Gram Mon is poor?
7. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
8. What does Janey do when she hears the news of the murder?
9. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
10. What is the significance of Janey scolding Snookum to call Candy "Miss Candy" and Lou "Mr. Lou?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did a different person narrating each chapter change the story? What would have been different if Lou Dimes had narrated all the chapters? Or Chimley. Or Candy. Or Clatoo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the old black men brave now but hadn't been before?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)