Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Candy's parents die?
2. What kind of a cap is Chimley wearing?
3. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
4. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
5. How does Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy does not shoot Beau?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes in from the kitchen and what is he doing there? Where is he all day?
2. When Miss Merle arrives with sandwiches, what does she do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
3. Why does Candy tell all the old black men to shoot their guns once?
4. Why does Miss Merle slap Janey and why does Janey stand there and take it?
5. Why is Gil torn between love for his family and sadness over their past actions?
6. What is happening to the black graveyards?
7. Why does each old black man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
8. What color is the dress Corrine wears and the color of the bedspread she uses to cover the body? Why is this important?
9. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
10. What does Gil's coach want to tell Gill? Why aren't Cal and Sully in this meeting?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the odd friendship of Mapes and Mathu. How do they know each other? Why does Mapes always treat Mathu differently than he does other black men? After the events in the story, how do Mapes and Mathu interact? Are they still friends? Do they still hunt and fish together? Are their discussions different? The same?
Essay Topic 2
How is Charlie a symbol of the bravery that all the old black men feel that day? Why does the old black men find the courage on this day to stand up and "do something different" on this day? Why do they never do it before? Why does Charlie find the courage on this day when he never has before? Think of all the stories told by all the old black men of their friends and relatives. What makes today different from the past?
Essay Topic 3
What is the reason for the character of Miss Bea? She is only in one chapter, but she introduces a very important plot point into the story. What is it? Why is it important for one of the owners of the plantation to talk about this point?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)