|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Yank dressed?
2. Where does Janey live?
3. When Miss Merle arrives back at the Marshall house, what does she tell Bea?
4. Why had Coot not worn his WWI uniform in years?
5. What did Cherry Bello own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
2. Why did Jacob feel bad about the death of his sister Tessie when he had nothing to do with her murder?
3. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
4. Who was Oliver?
5. What did Gil's coach want to tell Gill?
6. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who came to help him?
7. How did each man claim responsibility for the murder of Beau?
8. Why was Bea unconcerned that Beau had been killed?
9. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
10. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the black graveyards. What were they symbolizing?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Miss Merle and Charlie. How do they represent the past, present and future? What would they like their world's to look like? What will change in Miss Merle's world after the events of the story? How will the friends of Charlie's be changed by his death?
Essay Topic 3
How did a different person narrating each chapter change the story? What would have been different if Lou Dimes had narrated all the chapters? Or Chimley. Or Candy. Or Clatoo?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)