|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Gil play on the football team?
2. Who is Aunt Glo?
3. What, according to Johnny Paul, could Mapes NOT see?
4. Who carried his gun like a soldier?
5. When Ella tried to call the sheriff, what did Mat do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of the argument between Mat and his wife?
2. Why did Miss Merle slap Janey and why did Janey stand there and take it?
3. Who is Janey and who does she work for?
4. Who are the Major and Miss Bea?
5. Why did Cherry talk about the fields of cane? What are the fields of cane a symbol of for Cherry's people?
6. Why did Mat and Chimley wait before they took action?
7. Why did Mapes hit the men and what did it mean? When everybody lined up to be hit by Mapes, what happened?
8. How did Gable describe the death of his sixteen-year-old son?
9. Why did Gil look at Cal like he hated him?
10. What was Johnny Paul talking about when he talked to Mapes about what he couldn't see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How will this town be different in the future? Will the events of this day make an impact and really change things, or will everything go back to the way it always was?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Mapes slapping the men and Miss Merle slapping Janey. What did each of these events symbolize? How are they the same? Different?
Essay Topic 3
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)