|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miss Merle see when she turned into the quarters?
2. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
3. Who narrates this chapter?
4. What did Snookum want for a reward for running the errand?
5. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did it mean when they saw dust on the road? What was this a symbol of?
2. What was the significance of empty number five shells?
3. Why was it important for the author to show violence against women in the black community?
4. What is the significance of Mat's full name?
5. How does the reader know where the story is taking place?
6. Why did Mat and Chimley wait before they took action?
7. Why did Mapes respect Mathu?
8. Why did Candy want more men and more shotguns at Mathu's house?
9. Why did Cherry talk about the fields of cane? What are the fields of cane a symbol of for Cherry's people?
10. How do readers know the year this story is taking place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel that Fix and Gil reconciled? Why? Will their lives be different? Will Fix change? Will Gill pull away from his family or join them?
Essay Topic 2
Why was Charlie's story of bravery so important to all the black men?
Essay Topic 3
How did Mapes change from the beginning of the story to the end of the story?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)