|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
(a) Beau's wife.
(b) Fix's wife.
(c) Beau's son.
(d) Fix's son.
2. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(b) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
(c) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(d) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
3. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He was sniveling.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(d) He had trouble aiming his gun.
4. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(b) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(d) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
5. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
(a) Fix banished Gil from the house.
(b) Fix did not speak to Gil inside the house.
(c) Fix had his gang run Gil out of town.
(d) Fix insisted that Gil raise Beau's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
2. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
3. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
4. Who shot Mapes?
5. Who narrates this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
2. How many days did the trial last?
3. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
4. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
5. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
6. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
7. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
8. How many funerals were there?
9. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
10. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)