|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who really raised Candy?
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) Miss Merle and Mathu.
(d) Gram Mon.
2. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) Three or Four steps.
(b) Across the yard.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) To the ditch.
3. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
(a) Decides to give up.
(b) Shoots Leroy.
(c) Smokes a cigarette.
(d) Yells at Luke Will to give up.
4. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She cried.
(c) She squeezed Lou's hand.
(d) She shook each man's hand.
5. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(b) He hid next to Gram Mon.
(c) He hid in the kitchen.
(d) He crawled under the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
2. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
3. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
4. What was Leroy's reaction?
5. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
2. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
3. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
4. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
5. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
6. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
7. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
8. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
9. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
10. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)