|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(b) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(c) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(d) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
2. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will.
(c) Charlie Biggs.
(d) Lou Dimes.
3. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
(a) He hollered the way you holler at a rodeo.
(b) He hollered just like all the other men.
(c) He hollered in a very low voice.
(d) He hollered with a very southern accent.
4. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(b) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(c) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(d) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
5. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(b) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(c) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(d) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
2. Who agreed with Gil?
3. How old is Charlie?
4. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
5. Who narrates this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
2. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
3. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
4. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
5. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
6. How many funerals were there?
7. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
8. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
9. How many days did the trial last?
10. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)