|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(b) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(c) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(d) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
2. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(b) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(c) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(d) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
3. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(b) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(d) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
4. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(a) The quiet professor.
(b) Tee Jack.
(c) Jack Marshall
5. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(b) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(c) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(d) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
2. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
3. What was Leroy's reaction?
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
5. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
2. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
3. How many days did the trial last?
4. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
5. How many funerals were there?
6. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
7. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
8. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
9. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
10. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)