|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
(a) Fix did not speak to Gil inside the house.
(b) Fix insisted that Gil raise Beau's son.
(c) Fix had his gang run Gil out of town.
(d) Fix banished Gil from the house.
2. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
(a) He hollered in a very low voice.
(b) He hollered with a very southern accent.
(c) He hollered the way you holler at a rodeo.
(d) He hollered just like all the other men.
3. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
(a) Luke Will tells Mapes that Mathu is the murderer, not Charlie.
(b) Luke Will tells Mapes that he's going to beat Charlie.
(c) Luke Will tells Mapes to "hand him over."
(d) Luke Will tells Mapes that he wants to talk to Charlie.
4. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) The old men follow them out.
(b) Luke Will shows up.
(c) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
(d) The deputy arrests Charlie.
5. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
(a) Plates and forks.
(c) Ice water.
(d) More guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
2. Who was calling on God?
3. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
4. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
5. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many funerals were there?
2. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
3. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
4. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
5. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
6. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
7. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
8. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
9. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
10. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)