|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
(a) Where black people could get a drink before desegregation.
(b) Where black people could gamble illegally.
(c) Where black people were hidden during the Civil War.
(d) Where Tee Jack stored cheap liqour that he sold to black customers.
2. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
(a) Ran away from anything that scared him.
(b) Got drunk.
(c) Worked hard on the plantation.
(d) Killed white men.
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(b) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(c) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(d) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
4. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They owned their own houses, and Mathu still worked on the Marshall land.
(b) They did not work as hard at Mathu.
(c) They were not as dark skinned as Mathu, they were not as African.
(d) They were cowards and never stood up for themselves.
5. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) Four more men.
(b) Sandwiches in baskets.
(c) More empty shells.
(d) More guns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
2. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
3. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
4. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
5. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
2. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
3. How many funerals were there?
4. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
5. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
6. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
7. How many days did the trial last?
8. What is Leroy's reaction to getting shot?
9. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
10. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)