|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
(b) Luke Will shows up.
(c) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(d) The old men follow them out.
2. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(b) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
(c) About half black and half white.
(d) All black.
3. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) In a car wreck.
(b) Working in the fields.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) Of natural causes.
4. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) To kill him.
(b) More shells.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To stop the shoot-out.
5. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
(a) Fix banished Gil from the house.
(b) Fix had his gang run Gil out of town.
(c) Fix did not speak to Gil inside the house.
(d) Fix insisted that Gil raise Beau's son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
2. Who narrates this chapter?
3. Who was calling on God?
4. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
5. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
2. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
3. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
4. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
5. How many funerals were there?
6. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
7. How were the old men getting a bathroom break?
8. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
9. Why is it important that this chapter is narrated by a child?
10. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)