|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
2. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(b) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
(c) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(d) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
3. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(b) Luke Will.
(c) Charlie Biggs.
(d) Lou Dimes.
4. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "We have to move you."
(b) "You're in the way."
(c) "Your deputy resigned."
(d) "You're hit."
5. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
(a) That Luke Will and a lynch mob are coming.
(b) That Fix is not coming.
(c) That Mapes fired his deputy.
(d) That Mathu is wanted in two other states for crimes there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mapes say to Lou?
2. What did Miss Merle bring?
3. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
4. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
5. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many days did the trial last?
2. What was the "nigger room" a symbol of?
3. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
4. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
5. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
6. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
7. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
8. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
9. Describe the final moments of the shoot-out.
10. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)