|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
(a) He was hiding under the house with Snookum.
(b) He was shooting at the tractor.
(c) He was organizing the men to stand and hoop and shoot.
(d) He was waving his arms trying to get people to stop shooting.
2. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) More empty shells.
(b) More guns.
(c) Sandwiches in baskets.
(d) Four more men.
3. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
(a) Luke Will tells Mapes that he's going to beat Charlie.
(b) Luke Will tells Mapes that Mathu is the murderer, not Charlie.
(c) Luke Will tells Mapes to "hand him over."
(d) Luke Will tells Mapes that he wants to talk to Charlie.
4. Who really raised Candy?
(b) Miss Merle and Mathu.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Gram Mon.
5. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(b) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(c) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(d) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
2. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
3. What does Mapes say to Lou?
4. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
5. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
2. Who did Mapes put in charge after he was wounded?
3. Who came in from the kitchen and what was he doing there?
4. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
5. What did Miss Merle do to show her disgust at the crowd of old black men?
6. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
7. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
8. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
9. How many funerals were there?
10. Why did Mapes call Charlie "Mr. Biggs?"
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)