|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
(a) She wants to keep them all slaves.
(b) She does not run the Marshall plantation, and she wants to be in charge.
(c) She is trying to protect them, but it will do no good.
(d) She blames Mathu for her upbringing.
2. The narrator of chapter 18 is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
(b) Charlie is on his own side.
(c) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
(d) Snookum is on Candy's side.
3. During the shoot-out, what does Lou tell Mapes when he crawls over to him?
(a) "You're hit."
(b) "We have to move you."
(c) "You're in the way."
(d) "Your deputy resignes."
4. During the shoot-out, where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is in Lou's car.
(b) He is in the outhouse.
(c) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(d) He crawls through and is now under the front porch.
5. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says that Candy promises him sandwiches if he keeps his mouth shut.
(b) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she is cooking dinner when someone shoots Beau.
(c) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy doesn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(d) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he tells Mapes who shoots Beau.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mapes talks to Russell on the radio, he tells the group of old black men what he knows about Fix and his men. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
2. What does Leroy do for most of the time that the shoot-out is going on?
3. Where does Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
4. What group is there to defend Luke Will's friends?
5. During the shoot-out, who is calling on God?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)