|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
(a) Fix had his gang run Gil out of town.
(b) Fix insisted that Gil raise Beau's son.
(c) Fix banished Gil from the house.
(d) Fix did not speak to Gil inside the house.
2. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(b) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(c) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(d) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
3. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(b) He crawled under the house.
(c) He hid next to Gram Mon.
(d) He hid in the kitchen.
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Luke Will.
5. What would bring the court to laughing?
(a) When people walked by outside.
(b) When nicknames for the old men were used in court.
(c) When people saw the men all banged up and bandaged.
(d) When they saw Judge Reynolds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
2. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
3. How did Candy's mother and father die?
4. How old is Charlie?
5. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mapes mean when he told Luke Will that Charlie was now in charge?
2. Why was it important for Charlie to come forward and confess to the murder of Beau?
3. How many days did the trial last?
4. How does Charlie prove he is a man?
5. What was Tee Jack afraid of?
6. How did Mapes get the group of old men to decide to end the evening?
7. How was Gil welcomed by the people gathered at his father's house?
8. Why did Fix need all his sons to agree on a course of action?
9. What does Charlie do when the shoot-out begins?
10. When the shoot-out began, how did the old black men get organized and decide what to do?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)