|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
(a) To see if Charlie was there.
(b) To get some food.
(c) To use the outhouse.
(d) To check on Mathu.
2. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "You're in the way."
(b) "Your deputy resigned."
(c) "We have to move you."
(d) "You're hit."
3. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) In a car wreck.
(b) In a plane crash.
(c) Of natural causes.
(d) Working in the fields.
4. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
(a) That Mapes fired his deputy.
(b) That Fix is not coming.
(c) That Mathu is wanted in two other states for crimes there.
(d) That Luke Will and a lynch mob are coming.
5. Who really raised Candy?
(a) Miss Merle and Mathu.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Gram Mon.
6. Who agreed with Gil?
(a) His brother Jean.
(b) His brother Claude.
(d) Luke Will.
7. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he has closed the back room.
(b) That he is scared.
(c) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
(d) That he had more free liquor.
8. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(c) Johnny Paul.
9. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) Three or Four steps.
(b) To the tractor.
(c) To the ditch.
(d) Across the yard.
10. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
(a) Worked hard on the plantation.
(b) Got drunk.
(c) Killed white men.
(d) Ran away from anything that scared him.
11. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
(b) The old men follow them out.
(c) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(d) Luke Will shows up.
12. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(b) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(c) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(d) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
13. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
14. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
(b) More guns.
(c) Ice water.
(d) Plates and forks.
15. Who shot Mapes?
(a) The deputy.
(b) One of the old black men.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
2. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
3. What did Miss Merle bring?
4. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
5. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)