|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(b) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(c) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(d) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
2. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(b) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
(c) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(d) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(c) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(d) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
4. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) Of natural causes.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) In a car wreck.
5. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
(a) Beau's wife.
(c) Beau's son.
6. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he has closed the back room.
(b) That he is scared.
(c) That he had more free liquor.
(d) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
7. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(b) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
8. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Candy's uncle.
(d) The Klans.
9. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Charlie Biggs.
(c) Luke Will.
10. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
11. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Luke Will.
(d) Lou Dimes.
12. Who shot Mapes?
(a) The deputy.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) One of the old black men.
(d) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
13. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
(a) Decides to give up.
(b) Shoots Leroy.
(c) Yells at Luke Will to give up.
(d) Smokes a cigarette.
14. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is in the outhouse.
(b) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
(c) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(d) He is in Lou's car.
15. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) Four more men.
(b) More guns.
(c) Sandwiches in baskets.
(d) More empty shells.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
2. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
3. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
4. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
5. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)