|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
(a) He hollered just like all the other men.
(b) He hollered in a very low voice.
(c) He hollered the way you holler at a rodeo.
(d) He hollered with a very southern accent.
2. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All black.
(b) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(c) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
(d) About half black and half white.
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(b) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(c) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(d) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
4. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
(b) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(c) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(d) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
5. What would bring the court to laughing?
(a) When they saw Judge Reynolds.
(b) When nicknames for the old men were used in court.
(c) When people saw the men all banged up and bandaged.
(d) When people walked by outside.
6. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
(a) Luke Will tells Mapes that he's going to beat Charlie.
(b) Luke Will tells Mapes to "hand him over."
(c) Luke Will tells Mapes that Mathu is the murderer, not Charlie.
(d) Luke Will tells Mapes that he wants to talk to Charlie.
7. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(b) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
8. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(a) Jack Marshall
(b) Tee Jack.
(c) The quiet professor.
9. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
10. Who gets "winged?"
(d) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
11. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
(b) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(c) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(d) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
12. How many days did the trail go on?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 4 weeks.
13. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(b) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(c) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(d) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
14. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
(b) The Klans.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Candy's uncle.
15. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
(a) Where black people could get a drink before desegregation.
(b) Where black people were hidden during the Civil War.
(c) Where black people could gamble illegally.
(d) Where Tee Jack stored cheap liqour that he sold to black customers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
2. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
3. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
4. Who really raised Candy?
5. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)