|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets "winged?"
(a) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
2. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) Four more men.
(b) More empty shells.
(c) Sandwiches in baskets.
(d) More guns.
3. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
(a) They spead out, rise up and hoop and then fire at Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They lay low and stay quiet.
(c) They hide in the swamps.
(d) They are confused and don't know what to do next.
4. Who narrates this chapter?
5. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
(a) That Fix is not coming.
(b) That Luke Will and a lynch mob are coming.
(c) That Mapes fired his deputy.
(d) That Mathu is wanted in two other states for crimes there.
6. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(b) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(c) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(d) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
7. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
(b) Gram Mon.
8. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(b) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(c) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(d) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
9. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
(b) I killed Beau.
(c) I'm a man.
(d) I need a better house.
10. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) To kill him.
(b) To surrender.
(c) More shells.
(d) To stop the shoot-out.
11. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(b) Tee Jack.
(c) Jack Marshall
(d) The quiet professor.
12. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He hid next to Gram Mon.
(b) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(c) He crawled under the house.
(d) He hid in the kitchen.
13. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
(b) Snookum is on Candy's side.
(c) Charlie is on his own side.
(d) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
14. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
(a) Killed white men.
(b) Worked hard on the plantation.
(c) Got drunk.
(d) Ran away from anything that scared him.
15. How many days did the trail go on?
(a) 3 days.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 14 days.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
2. What does Mapes say to Lou?
3. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
4. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
5. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)