|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "You're hit."
(b) "You're in the way."
(c) "We have to move you."
(d) "Your deputy resigned."
2. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He laughed.
(b) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(c) He had trouble aiming his gun.
(d) He was sniveling.
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(c) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(d) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
4. What does Mapes say to Lou?
(a) "You're an idiot."
(b) "I'm shot."
(c) "You're in charge."
(d) "My deputy is a coward."
5. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
(a) They lay low and stay quiet.
(b) They spead out, rise up and hoop and then fire at Luke Will and his gang.
(c) They are confused and don't know what to do next.
(d) They hide in the swamps.
6. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will.
(b) Charlie Biggs.
(d) Lou Dimes.
7. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
(a) Charlie called him a name.
(b) Charlie was not working hard.
(c) Charlie hit Beau with his fist.
(d) Charlie told him he was quiting.
8. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
9. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(b) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
(c) About half black and half white.
(d) All black.
10. Who agreed with Gil?
(a) His brother Claude.
(b) His brother Jean.
(d) Luke Will.
11. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) Across the yard.
(b) To the tractor.
(c) Three or Four steps.
(d) To the ditch.
12. Who gets "winged?"
(a) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
13. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
(a) She is trying to protect them, but it will do no good.
(b) She does not run the Marshall plantation, and she wants to be in charge.
(c) She blames Mathu for her upbringing.
(d) She wants to keep them all slaves.
14. What would bring the court to laughing?
(a) When they saw Judge Reynolds.
(b) When nicknames for the old men were used in court.
(c) When people saw the men all banged up and bandaged.
(d) When people walked by outside.
15. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
(b) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(c) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(d) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who really raised Candy?
2. How did Candy's mother and father die?
3. Who were the three funerals for?
4. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
5. Why were the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)