|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
2. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
3. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
(b) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(d) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
4. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(c) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(d) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
5. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I killed Beau.
(b) I need a better house.
(c) I'm a man.
(d) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
6. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
(c) Johnny Paul.
(d) Lou Dimes.
7. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Charlie Biggs.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(d) Luke Will.
8. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "You're hit."
(b) "We have to move you."
(c) "You're in the way."
(d) "Your deputy resigned."
9. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
(a) Ice water.
(c) More guns.
(d) Plates and forks.
10. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(b) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(c) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(d) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
11. Who narrates this chapter?
12. Who was calling on God?
(a) Reverend Jameson.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Gram Mon.
13. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(b) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
(c) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(d) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
14. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) Of natural causes.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) Working in the fields.
15. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
(a) Charlie was not working hard.
(b) Charlie called him a name.
(c) Charlie told him he was quiting.
(d) Charlie hit Beau with his fist.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
2. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
3. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
4. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
5. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)