|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They do not work as hard at Mathu.
(b) They are cowards and never stand up for themselves.
(c) They own their own houses, and Mathu still works on the Marshall land.
(d) They are not as dark skinned as Mathu, they are not as African.
2. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
(a) Smokes a cigarette.
(b) Shoots Leroy.
(c) Yells at Luke Will to give up.
(d) Decides to give up.
3. Near the end of the final shoot-out, Charlie stands straight up in the field to go towards the tractor. How far does Charlie go before he is shot?
(a) Three or Four steps.
(b) Across the yard.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) To the ditch.
4. When Charlie confesses to the murder, who does Charlie refer to as "Parrain"?
(d) Gram Mon.
5. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
(b) I need a better house.
(c) I'm a man.
(d) I kill Beau.
6. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
(a) Johnny Paul.
(c) Lou Dimes.
7. When Gil tells his father what he thinks about his brother's death, who agrees with Gil?
(a) Luke Will.
(b) His brother Claude.
(d) His brother Jean.
8. How many days does the trail go on?
(a) 14 days.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 4 weeks.
9. What does Candy do when she waves goodbye to the old men?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughes.
(c) She shakes each man's hand.
(d) She squeezes Lou's hand.
10. What does Leroy do for most of the time that the shoot-out is going on?
(a) He is laughing.
(b) He has trouble aiming his gun.
(c) He is sniveling.
(d) He gets mad and starts firing his gun as fast as he can.
11. Who shoots Mapes?
(a) The deputy.
(b) One of the old black men.
(c) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
(d) Lou Dimes.
12. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(b) Jack Marshall
(c) Tee Jack.
(d) The quiet professor.
13. When Gill arrives at his father's house, who is sitting on the bed crying?
(c) Beau's wife.
(d) Beau's son.
14. When Luke Will runs out of shells, what does Charlie offer?
(a) More shells.
(b) To kill him.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To stop the shoot-out.
15. Who really raises Candy?
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) Gram Mon.
(d) Miss Merle and Mathu.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of chapter 13?
2. What is different about the way Yank hollers?
3. What brings the court to laughing?
4. During the trial, what is the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
5. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)