|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
(c) Beau's wife.
(d) Beau's son.
2. Who really raised Candy?
(a) Gram Mon.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) Miss Merle and Mathu.
3. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
(b) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(c) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(d) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
4. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "We have to move you."
(b) "You're hit."
(c) "Your deputy resigned."
(d) "You're in the way."
5. Why were the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
(a) To check on Mathu.
(b) To see if Charlie was there.
(c) To use the outhouse.
(d) To get some food.
6. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) To the ditch.
(b) Across the yard.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) Three or Four steps.
7. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he really killed Beau.
(b) If he believed in God.
(c) If he was going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(d) What he'd seen back in the swamps.
8. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
(a) She is trying to protect them, but it will do no good.
(b) She wants to keep them all slaves.
(c) She does not run the Marshall plantation, and she wants to be in charge.
(d) She blames Mathu for her upbringing.
9. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he is scared.
(b) That he had more free liquor.
(c) That he has closed the back room.
(d) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
10. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Luke Will.
(c) Lou Dimes.
11. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(b) He hid next to Gram Mon.
(c) He hid in the kitchen.
(d) He crawled under the house.
12. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(b) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(c) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
(d) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
13. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(c) Johnny Paul.
14. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) More shells.
(b) To kill him.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To stop the shoot-out.
15. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
(d) Gram Mon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Candy's mother and father die?
2. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
3. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
4. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
5. How many days did the trail go on?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)