|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets "winged?"
(d) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
2. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
3. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
(a) Candy's uncle.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) The Klans.
4. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
(a) Luke Will tells Mapes that he wants to talk to Charlie.
(b) Luke Will tells Mapes to "hand him over."
(c) Luke Will tells Mapes that he's going to beat Charlie.
(d) Luke Will tells Mapes that Mathu is the murderer, not Charlie.
5. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) The old men follow them out.
(b) Luke Will shows up.
(c) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(d) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
6. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
(a) Beau's son.
(c) Beau's wife.
7. Who shot Mapes?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) One of the old black men.
(c) The deputy.
(d) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
8. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
(a) He hollered in a very low voice.
(b) He hollered with a very southern accent.
(c) He hollered the way you holler at a rodeo.
(d) He hollered just like all the other men.
9. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(b) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(c) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(d) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
10. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
(a) Fix's son.
(b) Beau's son.
(c) Beau's wife.
(d) Fix's wife.
11. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(b) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(c) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(d) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
12. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(b) Luke Will.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Charlie Biggs.
13. Who was calling on God?
(a) Reverend Jameson.
(b) Gram Mon.
(d) Lou Dimes.
14. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(b) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
15. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he was going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(b) If he really killed Beau.
(c) What he'd seen back in the swamps.
(d) If he believed in God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
2. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
3. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
4. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
5. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)