|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They owned their own houses, and Mathu still worked on the Marshall land.
(b) They did not work as hard at Mathu.
(c) They were cowards and never stood up for themselves.
(d) They were not as dark skinned as Mathu, they were not as African.
2. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(b) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(c) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(d) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
3. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
4. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) Of natural causes.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) Working in the fields.
5. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
(a) Charlie hit Beau with his fist.
(b) Charlie told him he was quiting.
(c) Charlie was not working hard.
(d) Charlie called him a name.
6. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Luke Will.
(b) Lou Dimes.
7. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(b) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(d) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
8. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He hid in the kitchen.
(b) He crawled under the house.
(c) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(d) He hid next to Gram Mon.
9. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(b) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(c) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(d) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
10. Who gets "winged?"
(a) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
11. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
(b) Snookum is on Candy's side.
(c) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
(d) Charlie is on his own side.
12. Why were the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
(a) To check on Mathu.
(b) To get some food.
(c) To see if Charlie was there.
(d) To use the outhouse.
13. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "You're in the way."
(b) "You're hit."
(c) "We have to move you."
(d) "Your deputy resigned."
14. What does Mapes say to Lou?
(a) "My deputy is a coward."
(b) "You're in charge."
(c) "You're an idiot."
(d) "I'm shot."
15. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(b) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
(c) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(d) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
2. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
3. Who were the three funerals for?
4. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
5. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)