|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(b) He laughed.
(c) He had trouble aiming his gun.
(d) He was sniveling.
2. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(b) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(c) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(d) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
3. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
(a) She laughed.
(b) She squeezed Lou's hand.
(c) She cried.
(d) She shook each man's hand.
4. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They were not as dark skinned as Mathu, they were not as African.
(b) They owned their own houses, and Mathu still worked on the Marshall land.
(c) They did not work as hard at Mathu.
(d) They were cowards and never stood up for themselves.
5. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(b) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
(c) He is in the outhouse.
(d) He is in Lou's car.
6. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He hid in the kitchen.
(b) He crawled under the house.
(c) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(d) He hid next to Gram Mon.
7. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(b) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(d) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
8. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
9. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Snookum is on Candy's side.
(b) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
(c) Charlie is on his own side.
(d) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
10. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(d) Johnny Paul.
11. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(b) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
12. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I killed Beau.
(b) I need a better house.
(c) I'm a man.
(d) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
13. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(b) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(c) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(d) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
14. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) Of natural causes.
(d) In a plane crash.
15. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(b) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(c) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(d) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
2. Who were the three funerals for?
3. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
4. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
5. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)