|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
(a) She squeezed Lou's hand.
(b) She cried.
(c) She shook each man's hand.
(d) She laughed.
2. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
(a) Where Tee Jack stored cheap liqour that he sold to black customers.
(b) Where black people could gamble illegally.
(c) Where black people could get a drink before desegregation.
(d) Where black people were hidden during the Civil War.
3. Who agreed with Gil?
(a) His brother Claude.
(b) Luke Will.
(c) His brother Jean.
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(b) Luke Will.
(c) Lou Dimes.
5. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he really killed Beau.
(b) If he believed in God.
(c) If he was going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(d) What he'd seen back in the swamps.
6. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They were not as dark skinned as Mathu, they were not as African.
(b) They did not work as hard at Mathu.
(c) They owned their own houses, and Mathu still worked on the Marshall land.
(d) They were cowards and never stood up for themselves.
7. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He was sniveling.
(b) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(c) He had trouble aiming his gun.
(d) He laughed.
8. What did Fix do when Gil did not agree with him?
(a) Fix had his gang run Gil out of town.
(b) Fix did not speak to Gil inside the house.
(c) Fix insisted that Gil raise Beau's son.
(d) Fix banished Gil from the house.
9. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(b) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(d) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
10. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) Working in the fields.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) Of natural causes.
11. Who was calling on God?
(b) Reverend Jameson.
(c) Gram Mon.
(d) Lou Dimes.
12. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) The old men follow them out.
(b) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
(c) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(d) Luke Will shows up.
13. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(b) The quiet professor.
(c) Tee Jack.
(d) Jack Marshall
14. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
(b) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(c) He is in Lou's car.
(d) He is in the outhouse.
15. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) Charlie Biggs.
(d) Luke Will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
2. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
3. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
4. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
5. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)