|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
(a) Got drunk.
(b) Worked hard on the plantation.
(c) Killed white men.
(d) Ran away from anything that scared him.
2. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Charlie Biggs.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Luke Will.
3. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he has closed the back room.
(b) That he had more free liquor.
(c) That he is scared.
(d) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
4. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) Luke Will shows up.
(b) The old men follow them out.
(c) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(d) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
5. After talking on the radio, Mapes makes an announcement to the group. What news does he share?
(a) That Fix is not coming.
(b) That Mapes fired his deputy.
(c) That Luke Will and a lynch mob are coming.
(d) That Mathu is wanted in two other states for crimes there.
6. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(b) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(c) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(d) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
7. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
(a) He was hiding under the house with Snookum.
(b) He was shooting at the tractor.
(c) He was organizing the men to stand and hoop and shoot.
(d) He was waving his arms trying to get people to stop shooting.
8. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
(a) Charlie told him he was quiting.
(b) Charlie called him a name.
(c) Charlie hit Beau with his fist.
(d) Charlie was not working hard.
9. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(b) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
10. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(b) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(c) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
(d) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
11. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) To stop the shoot-out.
(b) More shells.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To kill him.
12. What does Mapes say to Lou?
(a) "You're an idiot."
(b) "I'm shot."
(c) "My deputy is a coward."
(d) "You're in charge."
13. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(b) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(c) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(d) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
14. How old is Charlie?
15. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is in the outhouse.
(b) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(c) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
(d) He is in Lou's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shot Mapes?
2. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
3. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
5. How many days did the trail go on?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)