|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he really kills Beau.
(b) If he is going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(c) What he sees back in the swamps.
(d) If he believes in God.
2. How many days does the trail go on?
(a) 4 weeks.
(b) 3 days.
(c) 5 days.
(d) 14 days.
3. What does Charlie do his whole life until today?
(a) Run away from anything that scares him.
(b) Gets drunk.
(c) Work hard on the plantation.
(d) Kills white men.
4. Near the end of the final shoot-out, Charlie stands straight up in the field to go towards the tractor. How far does Charlie go before he is shot?
(a) Three or Four steps.
(b) To the ditch.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) Across the yard.
5. What is Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
(a) He is waving his arms, trying to get people to stop shooting.
(b) He is organizing the men to stand and hoop and shoot.
(c) He is hiding under the house with Snookum.
(d) He is shooting at the tractor.
6. Why are the old black men going to the back of the house one at a time?
(a) To see if Charlie is there.
(b) To check on Mathu.
(c) To get some food.
(d) To use the outhouse.
7. During the trial, what is the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All black.
(b) All white, as blacks are not allowed in the courtroom.
(c) About half black and half white.
(d) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
8. Why does Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They are not as dark skinned as Mathu, they are not as African.
(b) They own their own houses, and Mathu still works on the Marshall land.
(c) They do not work as hard at Mathu.
(d) They are cowards and never stand up for themselves.
9. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(b) Luke Will.
(d) Lou Dimes.
10. What is different about the way Yank hollers?
(a) He hollers the way people holler at a rodeo.
(b) He hollers with a very southern accent.
(c) He hollers just like all the other men.
(d) He hollers in a very low voice.
11. When Charlie confesses to the murder, who does Charlie refer to as "Parrain"?
(b) Gram Mon.
12. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) Johnny Paul.
13. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(c) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
(d) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
14. After Mapes talks to Russell on the radio, he tells the group of old black men what he knows about Fix and his men. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(b) Johnny Paul.
15. When Luke Will runs out of shells, what does Charlie offer?
(a) To stop the shoot-out.
(b) To surrender.
(c) More shells.
(d) To kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action does Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
2. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
3. After Candy's mother and father die, who is SUPPOSED to raise her?
4. Where does Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
5. When Gill arrives at his father's house, who is sitting on the bed crying?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)