|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
(b) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
(d) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
2. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(b) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(c) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
(d) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
3. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is in the outhouse.
(b) He is in Lou's car.
(c) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(d) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
4. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) To the tractor.
(b) To the ditch.
(c) Three or Four steps.
(d) Across the yard.
5. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(c) Johnny Paul.
6. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Luke Will.
7. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(b) All black.
(c) About half black and half white.
(d) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
8. Who narrates this chapter?
9. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
10. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
(b) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(c) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(d) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
11. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
(b) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(c) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(d) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
12. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(b) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(c) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
(d) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
13. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(b) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(c) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
(d) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
14. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(a) Tee Jack.
(b) The quiet professor.
(d) Jack Marshall
15. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
(b) Johnny Paul.
(c) Lou Dimes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
2. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
3. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
4. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
5. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)