|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He laughed.
(b) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(c) He was sniveling.
(d) He had trouble aiming his gun.
2. Who gets "winged?"
(b) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
3. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
(a) Gram Mon.
4. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he really killed Beau.
(b) What he'd seen back in the swamps.
(c) If he was going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(d) If he believed in God.
5. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(b) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(c) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(d) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
6. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(b) About half black and half white.
(c) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
(d) All black.
7. What would bring the court to laughing?
(a) When people saw the men all banged up and bandaged.
(b) When nicknames for the old men were used in court.
(c) When people walked by outside.
(d) When they saw Judge Reynolds.
8. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack tell the professor to shut up.
(b) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
9. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(c) Johnny Paul.
10. How far did Charlie go before he was hit?
(a) Three or Four steps.
(b) To the ditch.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) Across the yard.
11. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(b) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
(c) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(d) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
12. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(b) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(c) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(d) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
13. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Luke Will.
(d) Charlie Biggs.
14. Who picks up Candy and puts her in his car?
(a) Johnny Paul.
(d) Lou Dimes.
15. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
(a) He was hiding under the house with Snookum.
(b) He was shooting at the tractor.
(c) He was waving his arms trying to get people to stop shooting.
(d) He was organizing the men to stand and hoop and shoot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
2. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
3. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
4. How many days did the trail go on?
5. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)