|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Candy do when she waves goodbye to the old men?
(a) She shakes each man's hand.
(b) She squeezes Lou's hand.
(c) She laughes.
(d) She cries.
2. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
3. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(b) Jack Marshall
(c) The quiet professor.
(d) Tee Jack.
4. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(b) Luke Will.
(c) Lou Dimes.
5. During the shoot-out, what does Lou tell Mapes when he crawls over to him?
(a) "You're hit."
(b) "Your deputy resignes."
(c) "We have to move you."
(d) "You're in the way."
6. What does Leroy do for most of the time that the shoot-out is going on?
(a) He is laughing.
(b) He has trouble aiming his gun.
(c) He is sniveling.
(d) He gets mad and starts firing his gun as fast as he can.
7. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(b) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(c) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(d) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
8. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
(a) They lay low and stay quiet.
(b) They hide in the swamps.
(c) They are confused and don't know what to do next.
(d) They spread out, rise up and hoop and then fire at Luke Will and his gang.
9. How old is Charlie?
10. During the trial, what is the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All black.
(b) All white, as blacks are not allowed in the courtroom.
(c) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(d) About half black and half white.
11. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of chapter 14?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Charlie Biggs.
(c) Luke Will.
12. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of chapter 13?
(a) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they are coming back.
(b) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
(c) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(d) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack, but he refuses.
13. Where does Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He run out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(b) He crawls under the house.
(c) He hides in the kitchen.
(d) He hides next to Gram Mon.
14. Who shoots Mapes?
(a) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
(b) One of the old black men.
(c) The deputy.
(d) Lou Dimes.
15. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of chapter 13?
(a) That he is scared.
(b) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
(c) That he closes the back room.
(d) That he has more free liquor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gill arrives at his father's house, who is sitting on the bed crying?
2. What is Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
3. During the shoot-out, where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
4. During the shoot-out, who is calling on God?
5. What does Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches come?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)