|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(b) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
(c) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(d) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
2. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I'm a man.
(b) I killed Beau.
(c) I need a better house.
(d) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
3. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(b) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(c) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(d) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
4. What did Lou tell Mapes when he crawled over to him?
(a) "You're in the way."
(b) "You're hit."
(c) "Your deputy resigned."
(d) "We have to move you."
5. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He was sniveling.
(b) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
(c) He laughed.
(d) He had trouble aiming his gun.
6. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) To stop the shoot-out.
(b) To surrender.
(c) More shells.
(d) To kill him.
7. Who agreed with Gil?
(b) His brother Jean.
(c) His brother Claude.
(d) Luke Will.
8. Who narrates this chapter?
9. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) Luke Will shows up.
(b) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(c) The old men follow them out.
(d) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
10. Who is the first person to get shot in the shoot-out?
11. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he is scared.
(b) That he had more free liquor.
(c) That he has closed the back room.
(d) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
12. Why did Beau come after Charlie?
(a) Charlie called him a name.
(b) Charlie was not working hard.
(c) Charlie hit Beau with his fist.
(d) Charlie told him he was quiting.
13. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
14. Who shot Mapes?
(a) The deputy.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) One of the old black men.
(d) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
15. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(c) Luke Will.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the three funerals for?
2. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
3. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
4. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
5. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)