|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(b) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(c) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(d) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
2. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
(a) Tee Jack gives Luke Will and his boys liquor for free.
(b) Tee Jack tells the professor to shut up.
(c) Tee Jack reminds Luke Will that his store/bar is still segregated.
(d) Tee Jack offers to help with the lynching.
3. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(b) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room".
(c) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(d) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
4. Where does Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He hides next to Gram Mon.
(b) He crawls under the house.
(c) He hides in the kitchen.
(d) He run out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
5. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of chapter 13?
(a) That he is scared.
(b) That he has more free liquor.
(c) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
(d) That he closes the back room.
6. Who narrates chapter 17?
7. Charlie tells his story about the death of Beau. Why does Charlie say Beau chases him with a gun?
(a) Charlie calls him a name.
(b) Charlie is not working hard.
(c) Charlie hits Beau with his fist.
(d) Charlie tells him he is quiting.
8. What does Charlie do his whole life until today?
(a) Kills white men.
(b) Work hard on the plantation.
(c) Gets drunk.
(d) Run away from anything that scares him.
9. What brings the court to laughing?
(a) When people see Judge Reynolds.
(b) When nicknames for the old men are used in court.
(c) When people walk by outside.
(d) When people see the men all banged up and bandaged.
10. Who shoots Mapes?
(a) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
(b) One of the old black men.
(c) The deputy.
(d) Lou Dimes.
11. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
(a) Luke Will tells Mapes to "hand him over".
(b) Luke Will tells Mapes that he's going to beat Charlie.
(c) Luke Will tells Mapes that Mathu is the murderer, not Charlie.
(d) Luke Will tells Mapes that he wants to talk to Charlie.
12. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of chapter 13?
(a) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they are coming back.
(b) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(c) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
(d) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack, but he refuses.
13. Near the end of the final shoot-out, Charlie stands straight up in the field to go towards the tractor. How far does Charlie go before he is shot?
(a) To the ditch.
(b) Across the yard.
(c) To the tractor.
(d) Three or Four steps.
14. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
(a) They hide in the swamps.
(b) They are confused and don't know what to do next.
(c) They spread out, rise up and hoop and then fire at Luke Will and his gang.
(d) They lay low and stay quiet.
15. While Gil is talking to his father, who is sitting in Fix's lap?
(a) Beau's wife.
(b) Beau's son.
(c) Fix's son.
(d) Fix's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
2. Who are the three funerals for?
3. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
4. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
5. During the shoot-out, where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)