|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
2. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
(a) Where black people were hidden during the Civil War.
(b) Where Tee Jack stored cheap liqour that he sold to black customers.
(c) Where black people could get a drink before desegregation.
(d) Where black people could gamble illegally.
3. What action did Gil want his father to take about the death of his brother, Beau?
(a) Gil wanted to let the police arrest the suspect.
(b) Gil wanted to form a lynch mob and pick up Mathu.
(c) Gil wanted his father, Fix, to talk to Mathu.
(d) Gil wanted Sully to talk to Mathu.
4. Who shot Mapes?
(a) One of the old black men.
(b) The deputy.
(c) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
(d) Lou Dimes.
5. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) Sandwiches in baskets.
(b) More guns.
(c) Four more men.
(d) More empty shells.
6. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) To stop the shoot-out.
(b) More shells.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To kill him.
7. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
(a) They did not work as hard at Mathu.
(b) They were cowards and never stood up for themselves.
(c) They were not as dark skinned as Mathu, they were not as African.
(d) They owned their own houses, and Mathu still worked on the Marshall land.
8. What does Snookum say that almost gives away Candy's entire plan?
(a) Snookum says he wants some ice water or he will tell Mapes who shot Beau.
(b) Snookum says Gram Mon wants a second sandwich because she was cooking dinner when someone shot Beau.
(c) Snookum says he wants another sandwich because Candy didn't give him anything to run and get everybody.
(d) Snookum says that Candy promised him sandwiches if he would keep his mouth shut.
9. What does Charlie do before he charges Luke Will?
(a) Smokes a cigarette.
(b) Yells at Luke Will to give up.
(c) Decides to give up.
(d) Shoots Leroy.
10. Who gets "winged?"
(b) Leroy, one of Luke Will's men.
11. Who narrates this chapter?
12. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(b) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
(c) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(d) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
13. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(b) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
(c) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(d) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
14. Who does Charlie call Parrain?
(c) Gram Mon.
15. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(b) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(c) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
(d) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Leroy's reaction?
2. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
3. What was Lou doing in the final moments of the shoot-out?
4. How did Candy's mother and father die?
5. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)