|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
2. How did Candy's mother and father die?
(a) In a car wreck.
(b) Of natural causes.
(c) In a plane crash.
(d) Working in the fields.
3. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(b) Johnny Paul.
4. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
(b) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
(c) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(d) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
5. Once the old men are in the field, what do they do?
(a) They lay low and stay quiet.
(b) They hide in the swamps.
(c) They are confused and don't know what to do next.
(d) They spead out, rise up and hoop and then fire at Luke Will and his gang.
6. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(a) Tee Jack.
(b) The quiet professor.
(c) Jack Marshall
7. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(b) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(c) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(d) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
8. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
9. What does Jack Marshall do every day?
(a) Jack Marshall runs the Marshall plantation with his niece Candy.
(b) Jack Marshall comes into Tee Jack's store and drinks and stares at the door to the "nigger room."
(c) Jack Marshall runs the concrete plant.
(d) Jack Marshall is the head of the lynch mob.
10. Where is Snookum when Lou notices him?
(a) He is in Lou's car.
(b) He has crawled through and is now under the front porch.
(c) He is on the front porch next to Mapes.
(d) He is in the outhouse.
11. What happens when Charlie and Mapes go out the front door?
(a) The deputy arrests Charlie.
(b) The old men follow them out.
(c) Luke Will shows up.
(d) Mapes handcuffs Charlie.
12. Who really raised Candy?
(a) Gram Mon.
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) Miss Merle and Mathu.
13. Who was sitting on the bed crying?
(a) Beau's wife.
(d) Beau's son.
14. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
(b) Snookum is on Candy's side.
(c) Charlie is on his own side.
(d) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
15. What does Mapes say to Lou?
(a) "You're in charge."
(b) "My deputy is a coward."
(c) "You're an idiot."
(d) "I'm shot."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
2. What does Tee Jack do to calm Luke Will and his friends?
3. How many days did the trail go on?
4. Why did Mathu look down on all the other old black men?
5. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)