|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Luke Will notice about Tee Jack at the end of the chapter?
(a) That he is scared.
(b) That he had more free liquor.
(c) That he wants to join the lynch mob.
(d) That he has closed the back room.
2. Who shot Mapes?
(a) The deputy.
(b) One of Luke Will's lynch mob.
(c) Lou Dimes.
(d) One of the old black men.
3. How old is Charlie?
4. Who were the three funerals for?
(a) Charlie, Mapes and Luke Will.
(b) Mapes, Leroy and Luke Will.
(c) Beau, Luke Will and Mathu.
(d) Luke Will, Beau, and Charlie.
5. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
(a) She blames Mathu for her upbringing.
(b) She does not run the Marshall plantation, and she wants to be in charge.
(c) She is trying to protect them, but it will do no good.
(d) She wants to keep them all slaves.
6. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(b) Luke Will.
(d) Charlie Biggs.
7. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) More empty shells.
(b) More guns.
(c) Sandwiches in baskets.
(d) Four more men.
8. What did Dirty Red keep asking Charlie?
(a) If he was going to kill Luke Will and Fix.
(b) What he'd seen back in the swamps.
(c) If he believed in God.
(d) If he really killed Beau.
9. Why does Candy slap Lou in the car?
(a) Lou proposes again, at a very odd time.
(b) Lou says he is going to write a story about this for the newspaper.
(c) Lou says that Mathu is now free of her.
(d) Lou tries to start the car and drive away.
10. What does Luke Will's gang do at the end of the chapter?
(a) Luke Will's gang sits in the "nigger room" to finish their drinks.
(b) Luke Will's gang finish their drinks and leave.
(c) Luke Will's gang threatens Tee Jack that they will be back.
(d) Luke Will's gang asks for supplies for the lynching from Tee Jack but he refuses.
11. What phrase does Charlie keep saying over and over again?
(a) I need a tractor to work in the fields.
(b) I need a better house.
(c) I killed Beau.
(d) I'm a man.
12. Who narrates this chapter?
13. What did Mathu ask Snookum to get from the house when the sandwiches came?
(b) More guns.
(c) Plates and forks.
(d) Ice water.
14. During the trial, what was the racial makeup of the observing crowd?
(a) All white as blacks were not allowed in the courtroom.
(b) All black.
(c) All white on the main floor and a few blacks in the balcony.
(d) About half black and half white.
15. Where did Snookum hide during the shoot-out?
(a) He hid next to Gram Mon.
(b) He hid in the kitchen.
(c) He ran out the kitchen door and into the outhouse.
(d) He crawled under the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
2. What has Charlie done his whole life until today?
3. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
4. What does Luke Will say to Mapes about Charlie?
5. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)