|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who shows up from the back of the house at the end of the chapter?
(b) Charlie Biggs.
(c) Luke Will.
(d) Lou Dimes.
2. Why do the old men call Mapes into the house?
(a) Mapes told them they had 15 minutes and the old men know their time is up.
(b) Charlie wants to confess to the murder and turn himself in.
(c) Charlie is afraid of Fix and wants police protection.
(d) Charlie wants to challenge Mapes.
3. What was Leroy's reaction?
(a) He had trouble aiming his gun.
(b) He was sniveling.
(c) He laughed.
(d) He got mad and starting firing his gun as fast as he could.
4. The narrater of this chapter is on which side of the shoot-out?
(a) Sharp is on Luke Will's side.
(b) Charlie is on his own side.
(c) Snookum is on Candy's side.
(d) Mapes is not on anyone's side, but is now defending himself against Luke Will's gang.
5. What do all the old black men, and women and children do after Charlie dies?
(a) They blame Mathu for the death of Charlie.
(b) They all touch him as a sign of honor.
(c) They kill Luke Will and his gang.
(d) They cover him with a bedspread and pray.
6. What was different about the way Yank hollered?
(a) He hollered the way you holler at a rodeo.
(b) He hollered just like all the other men.
(c) He hollered with a very southern accent.
(d) He hollered in a very low voice.
7. Who talks Candy into ending the events of the day?
(c) Johnny Paul.
8. Who did Luke Will say was in charge?
9. Who in the store (bar) thinks that the police should handle the murder?
(b) The quiet professor.
(c) Jack Marshall
(d) Tee Jack.
10. What is the "nigger room" in Tee Jack's store?
(a) Where black people were hidden during the Civil War.
(b) Where black people could get a drink before desegregation.
(c) Where Tee Jack stored cheap liqour that he sold to black customers.
(d) Where black people could gamble illegally.
11. When Luke Will ran out of shells, what did Charlie offer?
(a) More shells.
(b) To stop the shoot-out.
(c) To surrender.
(d) To kill him.
12. What group was there to defend Luke Will's friends?
(b) Lou Dimes.
(c) The Klans.
(d) Candy's uncle.
13. What did Miss Merle bring?
(a) Four more men.
(b) More guns.
(c) More empty shells.
(d) Sandwiches in baskets.
14. What did Candy do when she waved goodbye to the old men?
(a) She squeezed Lou's hand.
(b) She cried.
(c) She laughed.
(d) She shook each man's hand.
15. Who gets shot and cannot move from his position?
(a) Lou Dimes.
(d) Luke Will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would bring the court to laughing?
2. Who was sitting in Fix's lap?
3. The old men want to talk inside the house alone. They do not want Candy in the house with them. Candy gets very angry. What does Mapes say is Candy's motivation?
4. Who really raised Candy?
5. Who welcomed Gil at the door of his father's house?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)