|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chimley tell his wife when he leaves the house to join all the other old men who are summoned by Candy?
(a) To gather all the women and meet him at Mathu's
(b) The find more men and guns and send them along.
(c) To quit bugging him.
(d) To have the fish ready to eat when he returns.
2. Why does Snookum not get along with Reverend Jameson?
(a) The Reverend doesn't like Snookum begging for food.
(b) The Reverend thinks Snookum is the murderer.
(c) The Reverend thinks Snookum cheats at marbles.
(d) The Reverend thinks Snookum should be in church more.
3. Why does Billy miss when he shoots at the rabbit?
(a) Billy hears a shot in the distance that scares him.
(b) Billy jumps because he thinks it is a snake.
(c) Billy does not have good eyesight.
(d) Billy is known to be a very bad shot with a gun.
4. How do Candy's parents die?
(a) Of natural causes.
(b) In an airplane crash.
(c) They are murdered.
(d) In a car wreck.
5. Where does Lou Dimes work?
(a) At the Marshall's main house.
(b) At a newspaper in Baton Rouge.
(c) At the concrete plant.
(d) In the sugar can fields.
6. When Janey hears of the murder, she quickly calls two people on the phone to try to get help. Who does she call?
(a) Mathu and Candy.
(b) Miss Bea and the Major.
(c) Toddy and Minnie.
(d) Lou Dimes and Miss Merle.
7. On the day of the murder, what is happening the next day that affects Gil's thinking?
(a) A county fair.
(b) A big football practice that Gil attends.
(c) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
(d) A demonstration on campus.
8. Who is Aunt Glo?
(c) Gram Mon.
9. What is Yank's job before tractors comes to the sugar cane fields?
(a) Yank is the house servant at the Marshall house.
(b) Yank breaks horses.
(c) Yank cuts sugar cane.
(d) Yank is a professional fisherman.
10. Why does Mathu look down on some of the men who arrive to help him?
(a) Because they are lazy in his eyes.
(b) Because they work for other people.
(c) Because they are poorer than him.
(d) Because they have lighter skin than Mathu.
11. What does the coroner demand from Mapes?
(a) He demands to know what is going on.
(b) He demands that Mapes fire the deputy.
(c) He demands that Mapes arrest Candy.
(d) He demands Mapes to help him with the body.
12. What does Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
(a) More guns.
(b) Some food and drink.
(c) People hiding in the house.
(d) Something to cover the body.
13. Where does the group of old men walk to at the end of the chapter six?
(a) To the white graveyard.
(b) To Mathu's house.
(c) To town to get the sheriff.
(d) To Clatoo's truck.
14. What color is Clabber's skin?
(a) Light Brown. Clabber is part American Indian.
(b) Very dark like Mathu. He also is almost full African descent.
(c) White. Clabber is an albino.
(d) Red. Clabber does not know his parent's heritage.
15. When the old black men arrive at the quarters, they each shake hands with Glo. Why does Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
(a) She doesn't walk well and needs help to stand to greet him.
(b) She once loves Clatoo.
(c) She is worried about Fix arriving and she is proud of all the old black men.
(d) She wants to pray with Clatoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau is killed?
2. Why does Mat feel good about what they are doing?
3. Who arrives at the end of chapter seven?
4. What kind of a cap is Chimley wearing?
5. What kinds of flowers does Jack Toussaint grow?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)