|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lou Dimes work?
(a) The sugar cane fields.
(b) The concrete plant.
(c) The newspaper in Baton Rouge.
(d) The Marshall house.
2. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
(a) After 1:00 p.m.
(b) Around dinnertime.
(c) Before 12:30 p.m.
(d) 6:00 a.m.
3. When Ella tried to call the sheriff, what did Mat do?
(a) He ripped the phone out of the wall.
(b) He left with Clatoo in the truck.
(c) He had Chimley talk to his wife.
(d) He threw a fish at Ella's head.
4. Where did the group of old men walk to?
(a) Back to Dirty Red's house.
(b) To the cane fields.
(c) The black graveyard.
(d) To the bank of the river.
5. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
(a) A cigar.
(c) A toothpick.
(d) A Life Saver candy.
6. What did Candy say to Miss Merle when she saw her?
(a) "I shot Beau."
(b) "I loved the pie."
(c) "Where is Lou?"
(d) "Did you bring guns?"
7. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
(a) She is worried that Miss Bea is down there causing trouble.
(b) She is worried that Janey will tell the entire town and she wants to get there before she does.
(c) She is worried that Fix is on the way and wants to get there before him.
(d) She is worried that the Major will wake up and be angry and go to the quarters drunk.
8. How did Clatoo know that Candy was lying?
(a) She mixed up the facts about the time of death.
(b) She slipped and told Clatoo that Mathu killed Beau.
(c) Her story was too practiced.
(d) She couldn't remember where the body was.
9. Why did Clatoo let the men out of the truck before they arrived at Mathu's?
(a) Clatoo wanted to pick up more men and all walk to Mathu's together,
(b) Clatoo wanted to go pick up more supplies.
(c) They were out of room in the truck.
(d) Clatoo thought those men should walk.
10. How was Gable's son put to death?
(a) The electric chair.
(b) He was lynched.
(c) He died during a beating.
(d) He was shot.
11. What was Mathu always bragging about?
(a) About not having white man's blood in his veins.
(b) About being a good shot.
(c) About his friends.
(d) About how fast he could work.
12. What is Janey's job?
(d) Field worker.
13. Where does Janey live?
(a) At Mathu's house.
(b) In Baton Rouge.
(c) At the Marshall house.
(d) At the quarters.
14. Why did Billy miss when he shot at the rabbit?
(a) Billy did not have good eyesight.
(b) Billy jumped because he thought it was a snake.
(c) Billy heard a shot in the distance that scared him.
(d) Billy was known to be a very bad shot with a gun.
15. Who is Aunt Glo?
(c) Gram Mon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
2. What is the garry?
3. Why did the two men continue to fish after they heard about the murder?
4. What was happening the next day?
5. Who was Tessie?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)