|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the day of the murder, what is happening the next day that affects Gil's thinking?
(a) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
(b) A demonstration on campus.
(c) A county fair.
(d) A big football practice that Gil attends.
2. Why does Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey is waiting for Miss Merle.
(b) Janey is looking for the police.
(c) Janey is looking for Fix.
(d) Janey is looking for Mr. Lou.
3. Why does Mathu look down on some of the men who arrive to help him?
(a) Because they are poorer than him.
(b) Because they have lighter skin than Mathu.
(c) Because they are lazy in his eyes.
(d) Because they work for other people.
4. How is Gable's son put to death?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He is lynched.
(c) The electric chair.
(d) He dies during a beating.
5. The old men are let out of the truck, but they are not at Mathu's house. Where do the group of old men walk to to wait for the other?
(a) To the cane fields.
(b) Back to Dirty Red's house.
(c) The black graveyard.
(d) To the bank of the river.
6. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
(a) When his friends are talking to him.
(b) When Mr. Lou talks to him.
(c) When Candy talks to him.
(d) When his momma talks to him.
7. Why does Candy want more men and more twelve-gauge shotguns?
(a) So Mathu has more firepower.
(b) So that it is unclear who kills Beau.
(c) So Candy can pile them in the trunk of her LTD.
(d) So Candy is protected.
8. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil doesn't believe that there are no arrests made.
(b) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
(c) Gil thinks Mapes should move the body by now.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
9. What color is Clabber's skin?
(a) White. Clabber is an albino.
(b) Light Brown. Clabber is part American Indian.
(c) Very dark like Mathu. He also is almost full African descent.
(d) Red. Clabber does not know his parent's heritage.
10. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
(a) He hides the shoe box in the outhouse.
(b) He hides the shoe box in the kitchen.
(c) He hides the shoe box in the field out back.
(d) He hides the shoe box behind the second block under the house.
11. Why has Coot not worn his WWI uniform in years?
(a) Nobody knows what it means.
(b) It doesn't fit well anymore.
(c) White men beat him up for wearing it in public.
(d) White men tell him not to wear it in public.
12. What two things does Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
(a) To talk to Fix and tell him to come right away and call for backup.
(b) To tell Russ to keep Fix at the bayou and Herman to come pick up the body.
(c) To call Fix and tell him to stay put and to call Miss Merle for some sandwiches.
(d) To call Lou Dimes and Miss Bea.
13. What does Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
(a) More guns.
(b) Some food and drink.
(c) Something to cover the body.
(d) People hiding in the house.
14. Why does Jacob feel bad about his sister's death?
(a) He doesn't stand up for her or say anything at the time of her death.
(b) He sees it happen but doesn't know how to swim to save her.
(c) At the time of her death, he is too little to do anything about it.
(d) He never likes his sister and wishes her dead many times.
15. What does Snookum see at Mathu's house?
(a) Reverend Jameson standing over a body.
(b) Rufe hoeing in his garden.
(c) Corrine in her kitchen eating.
(d) A dead body.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Janey live?
2. What is Chimley sitting on while he is fishing?
3. What position does Gil play on the football team?
4. What does Janey hear earlier in the day that makes her believe Snookum's story?
5. What happens to Oliver?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)