|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gil arrives at the scene of the crime, how long is his brother dead?
(a) About a half a day.
(b) About a full day.
(c) About two hours.
(d) About four hours.
2. When Miss Merle arrives at the scene of the murder, what does Candy say to Miss Merle when she sees her?
(a) "I shot Beau."
(b) "Do you have guns?"
(c) "I love the pie."
(d) "Where is Lou?"
3. Who is the only man who doesn't have a gun?
(b) The Reverend Jameson.
(d) Dirty Rd.
4. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) The white people bring up the land along the river and leave little room to fish.
(b) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(c) Because they play cards at the same place.
(d) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
5. How does the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
(a) Fix takes Mathu's Coke from him.
(b) Fix takes a Coke without paying for it.
(c) Mathu stares at Fix as he is drinking a Coke.
(d) It starts over a Coke bottle.
6. Why does Mat decide to go to Mathu's?
(a) Mat thinks it is better than going home.
(b) Mat thinks it is a good place to hide.
(c) Mat thinks it is his last chance.
(d) Mat doesn't have anywhere else to go.
7. What days does Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
(a) Mondays and Wednesdays.
(b) Tuesdays and Thursdays.
(c) Sundays after church.
(d) Saturdays only.
8. On their way out of town, what happens to Gil and Sully?
(a) People recognize Gil and want to wish him well in the game.
(b) They are in a car wreck.
(c) They have to drop Cal back at his dorm.
(d) They are lost going to Marshall.
9. Who is Aunt Glo?
(a) Gram Mon.
10. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil thinks Mapes should move the body by now.
(b) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
(c) Gil doesn't believe that there are no arrests made.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
11. What is next to Beau's body?
(a) A tractor that is still running.
(b) Mathu's shotgun.
(c) Sugar cane.
(d) Reverend Jameson
12. What happens to Oliver?
(a) He dies in a hospital when the doctors don't treat a black man.
(b) He dies when a group of white men run him into the river.
(c) He dies when a lynch mob kills him.
(d) He dies in a car wreck.
13. Why is Clatoo dressed in a nice shirt and bow tie?
(a) He is returning from work.
(b) He sells vegetables out of his truck and always wants to remind people that he is a businessman.
(c) He returns from church with Reverend Jameson.
(d) He goes to a funeral.
14. What position does Gil play on the football team?
15. What does Bea need before she thinks of more names?
(b) To wake the Major.
(c) Another drink.
(d) A gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Chimley sitting on while he is fishing?
2. What does the coroner demand from Mapes?
3. Where does the group of old men walk to at the end of the chapter six?
4. How does Clatoo know that Candy is lying?
5. Who bakes the apple pie?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)