|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did each old black man do and say?
(a) Each man fired his gun a second time.
(b) Each man introduced himself to Mathu.
(c) Each man confessed to the murder.
(d) Each man slapped Mathu.
2. Who did Ella call?
(a) Uncle Billy's house.
(b) Miss Merle.
(c) Mathu's house.
(d) The police.
3. What happened to Oliver?
(a) He died in a car wreck.
(b) He died in a hospital when the doctors wouldn't treat a black man.
(c) He died when a group of white men ran him into the river.
(d) He died when a lynch mob killed him.
4. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
(a) For Janey, because she needed help.
(b) For Jack, the Major, because she likes him.
(c) For Candy, because she had heard about the murder.
(d) For Miss Bea because she wanted a favor.
5. Why was Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
(a) A white woman claimed he raped her.
(b) Gable's son ran away from home.
(c) Gable's son started a fight in town and hit a white man.
(d) Gable's son stared at a white man's wife.
6. How did Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy could not have shot Beau?
(a) Mapes noticed how thick Uncle Billy's glasses were.
(b) Mapes told Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(c) Mapes asked Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
(d) Mapes looked at Uncle Billy's gun.
7. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
(a) The black graveyard.
(b) The houses at the quarters.
(c) Mathu's house.
(d) Candy's house.
8. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
(a) She is worried that Janey will tell the entire town and she wants to get there before she does.
(b) She is worried that Fix is on the way and wants to get there before him.
(c) She is worried that the Major will wake up and be angry and go to the quarters drunk.
(d) She is worried that Miss Bea is down there causing trouble.
9. Why does Janey worry when Miss Bea is gathering pecans?
(a) She is worried that Miss Bea will be biten by a snake.
(b) She is worried that she is drunk and will fall in the tall grass.
(c) The is worried that Miss Bea will not gather enough pecans for everyone.
(d) She is worried that Miss Bea will return before she gets her housework done.
10. When Gil arrived at the scene of the crime, how long had his brother been dead?
(a) About two hours.
(b) About four hours.
(c) About a half a day.
(d) About a full day.
11. What position did Gil play on the football team?
12. Why hadn't Cherry shot his gun?
(a) He wanted to shoot with the other men.
(b) He thought he might see a good rabbit.
(c) He wanted to shoot it at the graveyard.
(d) He was afraid the gun was too old and might not work.
13. What instructions did Candy give to Snookum about Mr. Lou?
(a) Candy told Snookum to bring Mr. Lou back with him and she would give Snookum a treat.
(b) Candy told Snookum to call Mr. Lou on the phone inside Mathu's house.
(c) Candy told Snookum to run fetch Mr. Lou from the newspaper.
(d) Candy told Snookum to have Janey call Mr. Lou.
14. Who narrates this chapter?
(a) Lou Dimes.
15. What color is Clabber's skin?
(a) Light Brown. Clabber is part American Indian.
(b) White. Clabber is an albino.
(c) Red. Clabber does not know his parent's heritage.
(d) Very dark like Mathu. He also is almost full African descent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
2. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
3. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
4. What was Yank's job before tractors came to the sugar can fields?
5. How was Yank dressed?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)