|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
(a) Only a few months.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 25 years.
(d) All Candy's life.
2. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) The white people have bought up the land along the river and left little room to fish.
(b) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
(c) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(d) Because they play cards at the same place.
3. What was next to Beau's body?
(a) Mathu's shotgun.
(b) A tractor that was still running.
(c) Sugar cane.
(d) Reverend Jameson
4. Why hadn't Cherry shot his gun?
(a) He was afraid the gun was too old and might not work.
(b) He wanted to shoot it at the graveyard.
(c) He wanted to shoot with the other men.
(d) He thought he might see a good rabbit.
5. What position did Sully play on the LSU football team?
(a) 3rd string quarterback.
6. How did Tucker's brother Silas get into trouble with white people?
(a) Silas talked to a white woman.
(b) Silas and his mules won a contest with Fix's tractor.
(c) Silas dated a white woman.
(d) Silas stole a white man's tractor.
7. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
(a) After 1:00 p.m.
(b) Around dinnertime.
(c) 6:00 a.m.
(d) Before 12:30 p.m.
8. How did Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy could not have shot Beau?
(a) Mapes told Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(b) Mapes asked Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
(c) Mapes noticed how thick Uncle Billy's glasses were.
(d) Mapes looked at Uncle Billy's gun.
9. Who carried his gun like a soldier?
10. Why did Cherry not like the sight of an empty cane field?
(a) He was sad that there was no work left for the year.
(b) It reminded him of how the tractors plowed the fields and hurt the land.
(c) It made him feel lonely.
(d) He preferred the site of a cane field about to be plowed.
11. Mapes asked his deputy to call someone back in town. Who?
(a) Miss Bea and the Major.
(b) Russell and Herman.
(d) Call for backup.
12. Who does Janey work for?
(a) Miss Merle.
(b) The Major and Miss Bea.
(d) Mr. Lou.
13. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
(a) Miss Bea is still asleep and Janey doesn't want to wake her.
(b) Because Miss Bea in drunk on the porch swing.
(c) Miss Bea hated Beau.
(d) She thinks it would be like "talking to a wall."
14. What did Yank do in his younger days?
(a) He was a servant.
(b) He worked in a rodeo.
(c) He worked in the sugar cane fields.
(d) He broke horses and mules.
15. Why did Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey was looking for Mr. Lou.
(b) Janey was looking for the police.
(c) Janey was waiting for Miss Merle.
(d) Janey was looking for Fix.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
2. Why did Mat decide to go to Mathu's?
3. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
4. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
5. What did Snookum want for a reward for running the errand?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)