|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Janey's job?
(a) Field worker.
2. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
(a) For Jack, the Major, because she likes him.
(b) For Candy, because she had heard about the murder.
(c) For Miss Bea because she wanted a favor.
(d) For Janey, because she needed help.
3. Where does Janey say that Miss Bea and Major are?
(a) In the house trying to sleep.
(b) Eating in the kitchen.
(c) Out back in the field collecting pecans.
(d) Drinking on the porch.
4. What kinds of flowers did Jack Toussaint grow?
5. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
(a) A cigar.
(b) A Life Saver candy.
(c) A toothpick.
6. Who is Aunt Glo?
(c) Gram Mon.
7. When Gil and Sully arrived at the Marshall quarters, Sully thought it looked like an episode from what T.V. show?
(a) The Beverly Hillbillies.
(c) The Perry Mason Show.
(d) The Twilight Show.
8. What did Gil want most?
(a) To do whatever his dad, Fix wanted him to do.
(b) To kill the man who killed his brother.
(c) To finish school without any trouble.
(d) To be All-American with Cal.
9. What happened to Oliver?
(a) He died in a hospital when the doctors wouldn't treat a black man.
(b) He died when a group of white men ran him into the river.
(c) He died in a car wreck.
(d) He died when a lynch mob killed him.
10. What was Yank's job before tractors came to the sugar can fields?
(a) Yank broke horses.
(b) Yank cut sugar cane.
(c) Yank was the house servant at the Marshall house.
(d) Yank was a professional fisherman.
11. What did the coach need to tell Gil?
(a) Gil's father, Fix, called Gil to come home.
(b) The newspaper was writing a story about Salt and Pepper.
(c) Gil's brother, Beau, had been murdered by a black man.
(d) Pepper was nominiated for All-American.
12. Why was the coroner afraid to get out of his car?
(a) Candy threatened to shoot him.
(b) Mapes looked angry because it took him so long to get there.
(c) The deputy told him not to move.
(d) He realized that all the old black men were armed.
13. Why did Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
(a) She was worried about Fix arriving and she was proud of all the old black men.
(b) She had once loved Clatoo.
(c) She wanted to pray with Clatoo.
(d) She didn't walk well and needed help to stand to greet him.
14. Who arrived at the end of the chapter?
(a) A lynch mob.
(c) Mape's backup.
(d) Candy's boyfriend.
15. How was Gable's son put to death?
(a) He died during a beating.
(b) He was lynched.
(c) He was shot.
(d) The electric chair.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
2. What instructions did Candy give to Snookum about Mr. Lou?
3. Why did Mat feel good about what they were doing?
4. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
5. Where did Sully drive Gil?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)