|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack" who is she referring to?
(a) The Major.
2. What did Cherry Bello own?
(a) A liquor - and - grocery store.
(b) A vegetable truck.
(c) A plantation.
(d) A gas station.
3. Mapes asked his deputy to call someone back in town. Who?
(b) Russell and Herman.
(c) Miss Bea and the Major.
(d) Call for backup.
4. Where did Coot's all-colored regiment train?
(b) Ft. Bragg.
5. What is Janey's job?
(b) Field worker.
6. What was the women's reaction to Mapes slapping Uncle Billy and Gable?
(a) They yelled at Mapes.
(b) They moaned but did not move.
(c) They ran over and tried to stop Mapes.
(d) They prayed.
7. Why did Mat feel good about what they were doing?
(a) He hadn't worked hard in a long time.
(b) He felt he was getting old and he wanted to shoot a gun again.
(c) He felt they were finally taking a stand and doing something different.
(d) He wanted to go to jail to get away from his wife.
8. Why was Clatoo dressed in a nice shirt and bow tie?
(a) He had just been to a funeral.
(b) He sold vegetables out of his truck and always wanted to remind people that he was a businessman.
(c) He had just returned from church with Reverend Jameson.
(d) He was returning from work.
9. Where did the group of old men walk to?
(a) To the cane fields.
(b) Back to Dirty Red's house.
(c) The black graveyard.
(d) To the bank of the river.
10. Why hadn't Cherry shot his gun?
(a) He wanted to shoot it at the graveyard.
(b) He wanted to shoot with the other men.
(c) He thought he might see a good rabbit.
(d) He was afraid the gun was too old and might not work.
11. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
(a) Mathu's house.
(b) Candy's house.
(c) The black graveyard.
(d) The houses at the quarters.
12. How did Mapes know Mathu?
(a) They grew up together.
(b) They had hunted and fished together.
(c) They had been in a fistfight with each other.
(d) Mathu had worked for Mapes.
13. Who helped raise Candy?
(b) Miss Merle.
14. Where did Sully drive Gil?
(a) To Baton Rouge
(b) To the big game with Ole Miss.
(c) To the Marshall house to see Major.
(d) To Mathu's house.
15. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil can't believe that there have been no arrests made.
(b) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
(c) Gil thinks Mapes should have moved the body by now.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
2. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
3. What had Janey heard that made her believe Snookum's story?
4. What did the coach need to tell Gil?
5. Who was the only man who didn't have a gun?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)