|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What position did Sully play on the LSU football team?
(b) 3rd string quarterback.
2. What was Chimley sitting on while he was fishing?
(a) The back of his truck.
(b) A chair.
(c) A bucket.
(d) A log.
3. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau was killed?
(a) In the quarters.
(b) At the Marshall main house.
(c) In Baton Rouge.
(d) In the sugar cane field.
4. What days did Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
(a) Sundays after church.
(b) Mondays and Wednesdays.
(c) Saturdays only.
(d) Tuesdays and Thursdays.
5. What did the coach need to tell Gil?
(a) The newspaper was writing a story about Salt and Pepper.
(b) Gil's father, Fix, called Gil to come home.
(c) Pepper was nominiated for All-American.
(d) Gil's brother, Beau, had been murdered by a black man.
6. What did Chimley's wife say when Chimley came home?
(a) She told him to wipe his feet at the door.
(b) She asked him where he'd been.
(c) She didn't want to clean the fish.
(d) She asked him if he was going to play cards that evening.
7. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil can't believe that there have been no arrests made.
(b) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
(c) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes should have moved the body by now.
8. Which animal did Janey say Miss Merle looked like?
(a) An owl.
(b) A bear.
(c) An alligator.
(d) A fish.
9. What was Beulah angry about?
(a) She thought that everyone was going to get killed that day.
(b) The way black women had been treated through the years.
(c) Everyone was hungry and needed food.
(d) That all the old black men had guns.
10. According to Chimley's story, who got in a fistfight with Fix?
(c) The sheriff.
11. What was Dirty Red and his family known for?
(a) They were considered lazy.
(b) They kept the graveyard clean.
(c) They were sharecroppers.
(d) They were known as good sugar cane workers.
12. What instructions did Candy give to Snookum about Mr. Lou?
(a) Candy told Snookum to call Mr. Lou on the phone inside Mathu's house.
(b) Candy told Snookum to have Janey call Mr. Lou.
(c) Candy told Snookum to run fetch Mr. Lou from the newspaper.
(d) Candy told Snookum to bring Mr. Lou back with him and she would give Snookum a treat.
13. Who helped raise Candy?
(d) Miss Merle.
14. Where did the group walk to at the end of the chapter?
(a) To Mathu's house.
(b) To the white graveyard.
(c) To town to get the sheriff.
(d) To Clatoo's truck.
15. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
(a) She is worried that Janey will tell the entire town and she wants to get there before she does.
(b) She is worried that Miss Bea is down there causing trouble.
(c) She is worried that the Major will wake up and be angry and go to the quarters drunk.
(d) She is worried that Fix is on the way and wants to get there before him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
2. What did Candy ask Snookum to do?
3. What does Bea need before she will think of more names?
4. When Ella tried to call the sheriff, what did Mat do?
5. What happened to Oliver?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)