|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gil want most?
(a) To kill the man who killed his brother.
(b) To do whatever his dad, Fix wanted him to do.
(c) To finish school without any trouble.
(d) To be All-American with Cal.
2. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
(a) All Candy's life.
(b) 25 years.
(c) Only a few months.
(d) 5 years.
3. What days did Mat and Chimley fish on the river?
(a) Saturdays only.
(b) Sundays after church.
(c) Tuesdays and Thursdays.
(d) Mondays and Wednesdays.
4. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who arrived to help him?
(a) Because they were poorer than him.
(b) Because they were lazy in his eyes.
(c) Because they worked for other people.
(d) Because they had lighter skin than Mathu.
5. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
(a) Five hundred.
(c) One hundred.
6. How did Candy's parents die?
(a) They were murdered.
(b) In an airplane crash.
(c) In a car wreck.
(d) Of natural causes.
7. Who baked the apple pie?
(a) Miss Bea.
(b) Lucy, Miss Merle's servant.
(d) Miss Merle.
8. Where did the group walk to at the end of the chapter?
(a) To Mathu's house.
(b) To the white graveyard.
(c) To Clatoo's truck.
(d) To town to get the sheriff.
9. How did Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy could not have shot Beau?
(a) Mapes asked Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
(b) Mapes looked at Uncle Billy's gun.
(c) Mapes told Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(d) Mapes noticed how thick Uncle Billy's glasses were.
10. Why did Snookum not get along with Reverend Jameson?
(a) The Reverend didn't like Snookum begging for food.
(b) The Reverend thought Snookum cheated at marbles.
(c) The Reverend thought Snookum was the murderer.
(d) The Reverend thought Snookum should be in church more.
11. Who helped raise Candy?
(c) Miss Merle.
12. What did Chimley tell his wife when he left the house?
(a) To quit bugging him.
(b) To gather all the women and meet him at Mathu's
(c) To have the fish ready to eat when he returned.
(d) The find more men and guns and send them along.
13. Why did Billy miss when he shot at the rabbit?
(a) Billy jumped because he thought it was a snake.
(b) Billy did not have good eyesight.
(c) Billy was known to be a very bad shot with a gun.
(d) Billy heard a shot in the distance that scared him.
14. What kind of a cap was Chimley wearing?
(a) A very smart dress hat.
(b) His army hat.
(c) A straw hat.
(d) A Dodgers' baseball cap.
15. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
(a) 6:00 a.m.
(b) Before 12:30 p.m.
(c) After 1:00 p.m.
(d) Around dinnertime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who narrates this chapter?
2. When Ella tried to call the sheriff, what did Mat do?
3. Who was the only man who didn't have a gun?
4. What was Yank's job before tractors came to the sugar can fields?
5. Where does Lou Dimes work?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)