|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Janey say that Miss Bea and Major are?
(a) Eating in the kitchen.
(b) Out back in the field collecting pecans.
(c) Drinking on the porch.
(d) In the house trying to sleep.
2. What kinds of flowers did Jack Toussaint grow?
3. Why did Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
(a) She wanted to pray with Clatoo.
(b) She had once loved Clatoo.
(c) She was worried about Fix arriving and she was proud of all the old black men.
(d) She didn't walk well and needed help to stand to greet him.
4. Why did people call Sully T.V.?
(a) He watched T.V. only at night.
(b) He was a T.V. nut.
(c) He liked the Twilight Zone T.V. show.
(d) He had a sixth-sense when something was about to happen.
5. Which animal did Janey say Miss Merle looked like?
(a) An owl.
(b) A bear.
(c) A fish.
(d) An alligator.
6. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
(a) Lou Dimes confesses to the murder.
(b) Candy confesses to the murder.
(c) Snookum finally gets something to eat.
(d) Mathu fires at the car.
7. Who helped raise Candy?
(d) Miss Merle.
8. What is the garry?
(a) The cane field.
(b) The pecan groves.
(c) The shady side of the house.
(d) The front porch, the garrett.
9. Why was Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
(a) Gable's son started a fight in town and hit a white man.
(b) A white woman claimed he raped her.
(c) Gable's son ran away from home.
(d) Gable's son stared at a white man's wife.
10. What time is it when Miss Merle spots the Major asleep in the swing?
(a) Around dinnertime.
(b) 6:00 a.m.
(c) After 1:00 p.m.
(d) Before 12:30 p.m.
11. Why did Mathu look down on some of the men who arrived to help him?
(a) Because they had lighter skin than Mathu.
(b) Because they worked for other people.
(c) Because they were poorer than him.
(d) Because they were lazy in his eyes.
12. Why did Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey was looking for Mr. Lou.
(b) Janey was looking for Fix.
(c) Janey was waiting for Miss Merle.
(d) Janey was looking for the police.
13. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
(a) To call Lou Dimes and Miss Bea.
(b) To call Fix and tell him to stay put and to call Miss Merle for some sandwiches.
(c) To talk to Fix and tell him to come right away and call for backup.
(d) To tell Russ to keep Fix at the bayou and Herman to come pick up the body.
14. What did Mat tell his wife about the shotguns?
(a) He saw some rabbits he wanted to shoot.
(b) There was trouble at Mathu's house.
(c) There was a lynch mob on the way.
(d) He said they were going hunting.
15. Why did Miss Merle bring a pie?
(a) For Candy, because she had heard about the murder.
(b) For Jack, the Major, because she likes him.
(c) For Miss Bea because she wanted a favor.
(d) For Janey, because she needed help.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mat feel good about what they were doing?
2. Who arrived at the end of the chapter?
3. Why does Janey worry when Miss Bea is gathering pecans?
4. What color is Clabber's skin?
5. When Gil and Sully arrived at the Marshall quarters, Sully thought it looked like an episode from what T.V. show?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)