|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
(a) A white woman claimed he raped her.
(b) Gable's son ran away from home.
(c) Gable's son stared at a white man's wife.
(d) Gable's son started a fight in town and hit a white man.
2. Who carried his gun like a soldier?
3. What did Gil want most?
(a) To be All-American with Cal.
(b) To do whatever his dad, Fix wanted him to do.
(c) To finish school without any trouble.
(d) To kill the man who killed his brother.
4. What did each old black man do and say?
(a) Each man confessed to the murder.
(b) Each man fired his gun a second time.
(c) Each man introduced himself to Mathu.
(d) Each man slapped Mathu.
5. What color is Clabber's skin?
(a) White. Clabber is an albino.
(b) Very dark like Mathu. He also is almost full African descent.
(c) Red. Clabber does not know his parent's heritage.
(d) Light Brown. Clabber is part American Indian.
6. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
(a) In a cigar box.
(b) In a safe.
(c) In a coffee can.
(d) Under the house.
7. How many years had Miss Merle known Candy?
(a) 25 years.
(b) All Candy's life.
(c) Only a few months.
(d) 5 years.
8. Who tells Mat and Chimley that there has been a murder?
9. What war did Coot fight in?
10. Why did Mat decide to go to Mathu's?
(a) Mat thought it was better than going home.
(b) Mat thought it would be a good place to hide.
(c) Mat didn't have anywhere else to go.
(d) Mat thought it was his last chance.
11. Why did Mat feel good about what they were doing?
(a) He felt they were finally taking a stand and doing something different.
(b) He hadn't worked hard in a long time.
(c) He wanted to go to jail to get away from his wife.
(d) He felt he was getting old and he wanted to shoot a gun again.
12. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
(a) She thinks it would be like "talking to a wall."
(b) Because Miss Bea in drunk on the porch swing.
(c) Miss Bea hated Beau.
(d) Miss Bea is still asleep and Janey doesn't want to wake her.
13. Janey calls two people on the phone. Who are they?
(a) Toddy and Minnie.
(b) Lou Dimes and Miss Merle.
(c) Miss Bea and the Major.
(d) Mathu and Candy.
14. How was Yank dressed?
(a) In shorts and a white shirt.
(b) Like a cowboy.
(c) In a clean shirt and pants.
(d) Like he was going to church.
15. Why did Snookum not get along with Reverend Jameson?
(a) The Reverend thought Snookum was the murderer.
(b) The Reverend thought Snookum cheated at marbles.
(c) The Reverend didn't like Snookum begging for food.
(d) The Reverend thought Snookum should be in church more.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Chimley fire his gun?
2. What was Chimley sitting on while he was fishing?
3. When Gil arrived at the scene of the crime, how long had his brother been dead?
4. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
5. Why did Glo hang on to Clatoo's hand a little longer?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)