Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Candy's parents die?
(a) They are murdered.
(b) In a car wreck.
(c) In an airplane crash.
(d) Of natural causes.
2. What kind of a cap is Chimley wearing?
(a) A straw hat.
(b) His army hat.
(c) A Dodgers' baseball cap.
(d) A very smart dress hat.
3. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
(a) He hides the shoe box behind the second block under the house.
(b) He hides the shoe box in the kitchen.
(c) He hides the shoe box in the outhouse.
(d) He hides the shoe box in the field out back.
4. When does Chimley not mind being called by his nickname?
(a) When Mr. Lou talks to him.
(b) When his momma talks to him.
(c) When his friends are talking to him.
(d) When Candy talks to him.
5. How does Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy does not shoot Beau?
(a) Mapes looks at Uncle Billy's gun.
(b) Mapes tells Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(c) Mapes asks Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
(d) Mapes notices how thick Uncle Billy's glasses are.
6. Why does Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey is waiting for Miss Merle.
(b) Janey is looking for Mr. Lou.
(c) Janey is looking for the police.
(d) Janey is looking for Fix.
7. The group of old black men arrive at Mathu's house. Each old black man takes a position in the yard, surrounding Mathu's house. At this point, what does each man do or say?
(a) Each man slaps Mathu.
(b) Each man fires his gun a second time.
(c) Each man confesses to the murder.
(d) Each man introduces himself to Mathu.
8. What is Chimley sitting on while he is fishing?
(a) A chair.
(b) The back of his truck.
(c) A bucket.
(d) A log.
9. Which animal does Janey say Miss Merle looks like?
(a) An alligator.
(b) A bear.
(c) A fish.
(d) An owl.
10. What does Yank do in his younger days?
(a) He is a servant.
(b) He works in a rodeo.
(c) He works in the sugar cane fields.
(d) He breaks horses and mules.
11. What are Dirty Red and his family known for?
(a) They are considered lazy.
(b) They are known as good sugar cane workers.
(c) They are sharecroppers.
(d) They keep the graveyard clean.
12. When Janey tells Miss Merle about the murder, Miss Merle leaves quickly to go to the quarters. Why is Miss Merle in such a hurry to get to the quarters?
(a) She is worried that the Major wakes up, is angry, and goes to the quarters drunk.
(b) She is worried that Janey tells the entire town and she wants to get there before she does.
(c) She is worried that Fix is on the way and wants to get there before him.
(d) She is worried that Miss Bea is down there causing trouble.
13. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack", who is she referring to?
(d) The Major.
14. What does the coroner demand from Mapes?
(a) He demands that Mapes arrest Candy.
(b) He demands to know what is going on.
(c) He demands Mapes to help him with the body.
(d) He demands that Mapes fire the deputy.
15. What is so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
(a) It is the first time that a black and white boy are playing in the same backfield in the Deep South.
(b) Because Salt is Cajun.
(c) LSU has a losing season and needs to use Salt and Pepper in the big game the next day.
(d) Salt and Pepper hate each other, but play football well together.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mapes asks his deputy to call someone back in town. Who?
2. How many miles does Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
3. How does the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
4. Why is Gable's sixteen-year-old son put to death?
5. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)