|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lou Dimes work?
(a) In the sugar can fields.
(b) At a newspaper in Baton Rouge.
(c) At the concrete plant.
(d) At the Marshall's main house.
2. What was happening the next day?
(a) A county fair.
(b) A demonstration on campus.
(c) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
(d) A big football practice that Gil had to attend.
3. Who arrived at the end of the chapter?
(a) Mape's backup.
(b) A lynch mob.
(c) Candy's boyfriend.
4. What two things did Mapes ask his deputy, Griffin, to say on the radio?
(a) To tell Russ to keep Fix at the bayou and Herman to come pick up the body.
(b) To call Lou Dimes and Miss Bea.
(c) To call Fix and tell him to stay put and to call Miss Merle for some sandwiches.
(d) To talk to Fix and tell him to come right away and call for backup.
5. Who carried his gun like a soldier?
6. Who was Tessie?
(a) Chimley's wife.
(b) Jacob's mother.
(c) Jacob's sister.
(d) A white woman who claimed she was raped by Jacob.
7. What was Chimley sitting on while he was fishing?
(a) A bucket.
(b) A chair.
(c) A log.
(d) The back of his truck.
8. Where does Janey say that Miss Bea and Major are?
(a) Eating in the kitchen.
(b) In the house trying to sleep.
(c) Drinking on the porch.
(d) Out back in the field collecting pecans.
9. Who baked the apple pie?
(a) Miss Bea.
(c) Miss Merle.
(d) Lucy, Miss Merle's servant.
10. Why is Gil upset with Mapes, the sheriff?
(a) Gil thinks Mapes is stalling to wait until Fix and the lynch mob arrive.
(b) Gil can't believe that there have been no arrests made.
(c) Gil thinks Mapes should have moved the body by now.
(d) Gil thinks Mapes should arrest Candy.
11. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau was killed?
(a) In the quarters.
(b) In Baton Rouge.
(c) At the Marshall main house.
(d) In the sugar cane field.
12. What happened to Oliver?
(a) He died in a hospital when the doctors wouldn't treat a black man.
(b) He died when a lynch mob killed him.
(c) He died in a car wreck.
(d) He died when a group of white men ran him into the river.
13. What did Yank do in his younger days?
(a) He worked in a rodeo.
(b) He worked in the sugar cane fields.
(c) He was a servant.
(d) He broke horses and mules.
14. Who narrates this chapter?
(b) Lou Dimes.
15. Why did Cherry not like the sight of an empty cane field?
(a) He preferred the site of a cane field about to be plowed.
(b) It made him feel lonely.
(c) He was sad that there was no work left for the year.
(d) It reminded him of how the tractors plowed the fields and hurt the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Janey work for?
2. What did Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
3. Where did the group walk to at the end of the chapter?
4. Which animal did Janey say Miss Merle looked like?
5. What did Cherry Bello own?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)