|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Merle arrives at Mathu's house, what is the first thing that happens?
(a) Mathu fires at the car.
(b) Snookum finally gets something to eat.
(c) Lou Dimes confesses to the murder.
(d) Candy confesses to the murder.
2. Who helped raise Candy?
(c) Miss Merle.
3. How did Tucker's brother Silas get into trouble with white people?
(a) Silas stole a white man's tractor.
(b) Silas and his mules won a contest with Fix's tractor.
(c) Silas talked to a white woman.
(d) Silas dated a white woman.
4. What was Dirty Red and his family known for?
(a) They were sharecroppers.
(b) They were known as good sugar cane workers.
(c) They kept the graveyard clean.
(d) They were considered lazy.
5. Why was Lou not at work?
(a) He was on assignment.
(b) He had taken the day off.
(c) He was out eating dinner.
(d) He was at Candy's house.
6. What did Candy ask Corrine to get from inside the house?
(a) More guns.
(b) People hiding in the house.
(c) Some food and drink.
(d) Something to cover the body.
7. How was Yank dressed?
(a) In shorts and a white shirt.
(b) In a clean shirt and pants.
(c) Like he was going to church.
(d) Like a cowboy.
8. Who teased Billy when he missed the rabbit?
(a) Dirty Red.
9. Who narrates this chapter?
(a) Lou Dimes.
10. What does Miss Merle tell Janey to do?
(a) Go to Marshall.
(b) Wake the Major.
(c) Call Lou Dimes again.
11. What did each old black man do and say?
(a) Each man fired his gun a second time.
(b) Each man introduced himself to Mathu.
(c) Each man confessed to the murder.
(d) Each man slapped Mathu.
12. How did the fight start between Fix and Mathu?
(a) Fix took a Coke without paying for it.
(b) Fix took Mathu's Coke from him.
(c) Mathu stared at Fix as he was drinking a Coke.
(d) It started over a Coke bottle.
13. What was Mathu always bragging about?
(a) About his friends.
(b) About being a good shot.
(c) About how fast he could work.
(d) About not having white man's blood in his veins.
14. Why do Mat and Chimley fish only in one small spot?
(a) Because they are hiding from the white people.
(b) Because that is the best place to catch fish.
(c) Because they play cards at the same place.
(d) The white people have bought up the land along the river and left little room to fish.
15. Who tells Mat and Chimley that there has been a murder?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Janey tell Miss Bea about the murder?
2. What did Mapes have in his mouth most of the time?
3. What war did Coot fight in?
4. What was Yank's job before tractors came to the sugar can fields?
5. Why had Coot not worn his WWI uniform in years?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)