|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
(a) The black graveyard.
(b) The houses at the quarters.
(c) Mathu's house.
(d) Candy's house.
2. Beulah starts to tell her story about why she is angry and why she is always frustrated. What is Beulah talking about?
(a) Everyone is hungry and needs food.
(b) The way black women are treated through the years.
(c) That all the old black men have guns.
(d) She thinks that everyone is going to get killed that day.
3. Why does Janey worry when Miss Bea is gathering pecans?
(a) She is worried that Miss Bea is bitten by a snake.
(b) The is worried that Miss Bea does not gather enough pecans for everyone.
(c) She is worried that Miss Bea returns before she gets her housework done.
(d) She is worried that she is drunk and falls in the tall grass.
4. Which animal does Janey say Miss Merle looks like?
(a) A fish.
(b) An owl.
(c) A bear.
(d) An alligator.
5. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau is killed?
(a) At the Marshall main house.
(b) In the sugar cane field.
(c) In Baton Rouge.
(d) In the quarters.
6. How does Mapes, the sheriff, prove that Uncle Billy does not shoot Beau?
(a) Mapes notices how thick Uncle Billy's glasses are.
(b) Mapes tells Uncle Billy to shoot Mathu.
(c) Mapes looks at Uncle Billy's gun.
(d) Mapes asks Uncle Billy to aim at one of the bean poles and shoot.
7. When Gil and Sully arrive at the Marshall quarters, Sully thinks it looks like an episode from what T.V. show?
(a) The Beverly Hillbillies.
(b) The Twilight Show.
(c) The Perry Mason Show.
8. Where does Janey live?
(a) In Baton Rouge.
(b) At the quarters.
(c) At Mathu's house.
(d) At the Marshall house.
9. Why does Mathu look down on some of the men who arrive to help him?
(a) Because they are poorer than him.
(b) Because they are lazy in his eyes.
(c) Because they have lighter skin than Mathu.
(d) Because they work for other people.
10. What does Bea need before she thinks of more names?
(a) Another drink.
(b) A gun.
(c) To wake the Major.
11. Why does Candy want more men and more twelve-gauge shotguns?
(a) So Candy can pile them in the trunk of her LTD.
(b) So Mathu has more firepower.
(c) So that it is unclear who kills Beau.
(d) So Candy is protected.
12. Why does Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey is waiting for Miss Merle.
(b) Janey is looking for Fix.
(c) Janey is looking for Mr. Lou.
(d) Janey is looking for the police.
13. Who is Snookum's grandmother?
(a) Gram Mon.
14. What position does Gil play on the football team?
15. What is next to Beau's body?
(a) Reverend Jameson
(b) A tractor that is still running.
(c) Sugar cane.
(d) Mathu's shotgun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clatoo do with the shoe box?
2. The old men are let out of the truck, but they are not at Mathu's house. Where do the group of old men walk to to wait for the other?
3. When Miss Merle comes to visit the Marshall House, she brings a pie. Who is the pie for and why does she bring the pie?
4. When Miss Merle is talking about "Jack", who is she referring to?
5. When Ella tries to call the sheriff, what does Mat do?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)