|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Janey heard that made her believe Snookum's story?
(a) The Major waking up.
(b) Miss Bea coming in the door.
(c) A shot.
(d) Fix's car coming down the road.
2. What, according to Johnny Paul, could Mapes NOT see?
(a) The future.
(b) Who really killed Beau.
(c) Life in the sugar cane fields before the tractor.
(d) All the old men.
3. What war did Coot fight in?
4. What kinds of flowers did Jack Toussaint grow?
5. What did Chimley's wife say when Chimley came home?
(a) She didn't want to clean the fish.
(b) She told him to wipe his feet at the door.
(c) She asked him where he'd been.
(d) She asked him if he was going to play cards that evening.
6. Where does Lou Dimes work?
(a) The sugar cane fields.
(b) The Marshall house.
(c) The newspaper in Baton Rouge.
(d) The concrete plant.
7. What was happening the next day?
(a) A big football practice that Gil had to attend.
(b) A demonstration on campus.
(c) A county fair.
(d) A big football game between LSU and Ole Miss.
8. What happened to Oliver?
(a) He died when a group of white men ran him into the river.
(b) He died when a lynch mob killed him.
(c) He died in a hospital when the doctors wouldn't treat a black man.
(d) He died in a car wreck.
9. Where did Chimley keep his number five shells?
(a) In a coffee can.
(b) Under the house.
(c) In a cigar box.
(d) In a safe.
10. Why did Janey keep looking down toward the highway?
(a) Janey was looking for the police.
(b) Janey was looking for Fix.
(c) Janey was waiting for Miss Merle.
(d) Janey was looking for Mr. Lou.
11. What was Beulah angry about?
(a) That all the old black men had guns.
(b) She thought that everyone was going to get killed that day.
(c) The way black women had been treated through the years.
(d) Everyone was hungry and needed food.
12. Where does Janey say that Miss Bea and Major are?
(a) Drinking on the porch.
(b) Eating in the kitchen.
(c) Out back in the field collecting pecans.
(d) In the house trying to sleep.
13. What was so important about the "Salt and Pepper" football duo?
(a) LSU had a losing season and needed to use Salt and Pepper in the big game the next day.
(b) Because Salt was Cajun.
(c) Salt and Pepper hated each other but played football well together.
(d) It would be the first time that a black and white boy played in the same backfield in the Deep South.
14. What is the garry?
(a) The front porch, the garrett.
(b) The cane field.
(c) The shady side of the house.
(d) The pecan groves.
15. What kind of a cap was Chimley wearing?
(a) His army hat.
(b) A very smart dress hat.
(c) A straw hat.
(d) A Dodgers' baseball cap.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ella call?
2. How did Candy's parents die?
3. How many miles did Lou drive from Baron rouge to Marshall?
4. What are the tractor's getting closer and closer to?
5. Where does Janey tell Miss Merle that Beau was killed?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)