* Chapter one is narrated by Snookum, a little boy who is hanging out with is grandmother, Gram Mon and his cousins Toddy and Minnie on a hot day.
* The setting is the deep south, but the year is unclear.
* The time is after slavery and there are references to modern cars and trucks.
* Candy tells Snookum to run tell Rufe, Reverend Jameson and Corrine and the "rest of them" to gather at Mathu's house.
* Candy tells Snookum to tell Miss Merle to call Lou to "get here quick".
* Snookum runs by Mathu's house and finds Mathu, a black man, crouched on his porch holding a shotgun.
* A man is lying dead in the weeds next to a tractor that is still running.
* Snookum finds Rufe hoeing his garden and Corrine eating is her kitchen.
* Snookum tells Rufe and Corrine and runs on.
* He gets to the home...
This section contains 5,055 words
(approx. 17 pages at 300 words per page)